Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gendail
May 23, 2006

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

At least the good ol' Armored CoreMech Command RTS is still going strong... in losing money. :hurr: $185,344 of their $75,000 goal with only 9 days left for you to pull your pledge if you haven't already.

I'd hate to be the person trying to cancel my pledge, only to realize I can't because it will bring the project below funding. Cancel now while you can!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

This seems...overambitious.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Gendail posted:

I'd hate to be the person trying to cancel my pledge, only to realize I can't because it will bring the project below funding. Cancel now while you can!!!
Pretty sure you can cancel even if it would unfund the project. That happened to The Walking Dead Cryptozoic KS before they revamped it and gave everyone what they wanted.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

JazzFlight posted:

Pretty sure you can cancel even if it would unfund the project. That happened to The Walking Dead Cryptozoic KS before they revamped it and gave everyone what they wanted.

You can do so right up until the last 24 hours of the project, this is to keep people from trolling by pledging $500,000 and then withdrawing it with 15 minutes to go.

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe

JazzFlight posted:

You can't unfund a project in the last 24 hours.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Who buys these subscription boxes?? I always hear ads on podcasts for Loot Crate and I think "does my house need MORE random plastic junk?" Uh, no. Not at all. I don't understand it in the slightest.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord
The key is to buy a subscription box for something consumable, like Japanese candy.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
^^^^^ Exactly right. Clothes wear out. Lipstick runs out. Food gets eaten. Dice not so much.

Jimbozig posted:

Who buys these subscription boxes?? I always hear ads on podcasts for Loot Crate and I think "does my house need MORE random plastic junk?" Uh, no. Not at all. I don't understand it in the slightest.

It's an extension of the marketing scheme that's caught on in recent years where you subscribe to a service and they send you things every month. The earliest incarnation I heard of it was cosmetics back in, I want to say 2013, but it's since branched out into all sorts of other things like clothing and even food.

RPGs are just bandwagoning onto a trend, but I don't think it's a good idea in this industry because if you're not licensed to produce things for the big names, you're either sending out very random assortments of junk (as you noticed), or there's really not a lot of stuff worth putting onto a box and shipping to people as far as "RPG related items" goes. Certainly not sustainable in the long term.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.

Not to mention that a board game KS (Vast I think) recently had to change their name from Trove because that's the name of an MMO.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

gradenko_2000 posted:

^^^^^ Exactly right. Clothes wear out. Lipstick runs out. Food gets eaten. Dice not so much.

It's an extension of the marketing scheme that's caught on in recent years where you subscribe to a service and they send you things every month. The earliest incarnation I heard of it was cosmetics back in, I want to say 2013, but it's since branched out into all sorts of other things like clothing and even food.

RPGs are just bandwagoning onto a trend, but I don't think it's a good idea in this industry because if you're not licensed to produce things for the big names, you're either sending out very random assortments of junk (as you noticed), or there's really not a lot of stuff worth putting onto a box and shipping to people as far as "RPG related items" goes. Certainly not sustainable in the long term.

I mean, various "X of the month" clubs have existed for as long as I've been alive, and therefore as long as recorded history, things like Lootcrate are nothing new really except in who they're marketed towards.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Flavivirus posted:

Not to mention that a board game KS (Vast I think) recently had to change their name from Trove because that's the name of an MMO.

They might be protected from that because they're a merchandizer, not a game.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Gendail posted:

It's lost another $5k in the last 24 hours.

They have said that anyone who asks for a refund within 30 days of the Kickstarter ending will get a 100% refund, but to me that makes it look even shadier - they're rewarding cynicism and exploiting trust. Plus, there's the possibility that they might reach the funding goal but then drop below it courtesy of refunds and not be able to fulfil. I wouldn't be at all surprised if this project never ships.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
What a time to be alive where you can sign up for loot crates of everything from "tactical tier one operator gear" to nerd junk to steam games. And to think it all started on these very forums with plastic vampire teeth

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Flavivirus posted:

Technically they didn't -have- to. I don't think Trion's lawyers got in touch or anything. They chose to to avoid the possibility and reduce any possible confusion.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

I've heard from friends that Lootcrate is 90% cheap poo poo tossed in to fill out the box. Like, convention giveaway type crap. Also the shirts are usually really, really cheap. Fall apart with one wash cheap.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Lightning Lord posted:

I've heard from friends that Lootcrate is 90% cheap poo poo tossed in to fill out the box. Like, convention giveaway type crap. Also the shirts are usually really, really cheap. Fall apart with one wash cheap.

My favorite part about Lootcrate is I always get the stuff my friend doesn't care for from his crates. :v:

I was interested in the "Board Game Bento" monthly thing until I heard how terrible the games were.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
My folks got me a subscription a while back for my birthday. The quality of Loot crate stuff is pretty uneven. It's better these days, but a year ago, they went through three or four boxes with just utter crap. It's better now, but you're still going to end up with some crap you have no interest in. I mostly enjoy it, but I like random boxes of things. It scratches the gambling itch for me.

The t-shirts are okay. Nothing amazing, but I've been wearing them at the gym, and none have noticeably faded or torn. Granted, that's only a wear and wash once every week or two per shirt, but definitely better than one wash and done.

There was an issue a couple of months back where they had to recall an oven mitt because it didn't insulate well.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Lightning Lord posted:

And Thanos oven mitts without heat shielding. I love getting sent things that produce massive scarring.
http://comicbook.com/marvel/2016/06/03/-infinity-gauntlet-oven-mitt-recalled-by-loot-crate-for-safety-r/

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe
hey, so what ever happened with that game that sean k. reynolds kickstarted?

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
To be fair, they were quick with the recall. I think I got the email within a couple of days after getting the box.

On the other hand, that's the sort of thing you hope they work out before shipping out to customers

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"

Red Metal posted:

The last update is a backer-only post titled 'A Run of Bad Luck' and the comments are full of people wondering what the status of the project is. Sounds like another solid game Kickstarter project!

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

JackMann posted:

To be fair, they were quick with the recall. I think I got the email within a couple of days after getting the box.

On the other hand, that's the sort of thing you hope they work out before shipping out to customers

That sort of thing is easier to work out when all of them have a problem. When only a very small handful of them turn out to be defective it's much harder to catch it.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Golden Bee posted:

And Thanos oven mitts without heat shielding. I love getting sent things that produce massive scarring.
http://comicbook.com/marvel/2016/06/03/-infinity-gauntlet-oven-mitt-recalled-by-loot-crate-for-safety-r/

Maybe they were trying to accurately depict the feeling of a mere mortal possessing the Infinity Gauntlet?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Despite no update to my tracking number, I got my Burning Wheel Codex today.

And now I want to get a copy of the most recent printing of Gold to match it...the embossed cover is so nice.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

jivjov posted:

Despite no update to my tracking number, I got my Burning Wheel Codex today.

And now I want to get a copy of the most recent printing of Gold to match it...the embossed cover is so nice.

When was yours estimated to arrive? Mine was supposed to be here mid last week and there has been no activity on the tracking number.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Red Metal posted:

It's gone to an open playtest recently, but is running about a year behind schedule. Given SKR has been hired by Wizards and also and working with Monte on Invisible Sun, I it would seem his attention's been more than a little divided.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Galaga Galaxian posted:

When was yours estimated to arrive? Mine was supposed to be here mid last week and there has been no activity on the tracking number.

I never had an estimate. My tracking number is still reported as "pre shipping info sent to USPS"

As far as that is concerned, my package hasn't even left yet.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Wait, something is wrong.

Lightning Lord posted:

I have heard they are filled with unseasoned, cooked ground beef and camel semen.

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice

Winson_Paine posted:

I have heard they are filled with unseasoned, cooked ground beef and camel semen.
The camel semen is the seasoning.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I got my 7th Sea hardcover today. I'm super impressed.

I also can't loving believe this only funded, what, 5 months ago? John Wick is a machine.

It's also the first time I've ever laughed out loud at rpg rulebook fiction. So that's cool, too.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
I'd pay for a monthly box that was maybe a cool die or two, some gribblies (like special meeples or card sleeves or whatever) and then maybe a one session long pre-made adventure with a map, characters, a token sheet and handouts. It really seems like the kind of thing you'd want to aim at just one game (like D&D or Pathfinder, realistically) however. A board game one in general with meeples, tokens, card cases, shirts and the like could be fun however.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
Dicehead already does this, now that I think about it. They have mini boxes they do every month (in either fantasy or sci-fi flavor), and then every few months they offer a board game box as well. It's not every month, but do you really need something like that every month?

EDIT: By mini, I mean boxes of miniatures. Not very small boxes. Usually something like some GW, some Malifaux, some Warmachien, and a few other random things like terrain bits or conversion parts. About a hundred bucks worth of mini stuff.

JackMann fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Aug 9, 2016

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Winson_Paine posted:

Well, I know what my goon secret santee is getting this year!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Apparently it's come out that Bad Crow do not in fact have a sealed deal to use the Armoured Core IP.

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

Jedit posted:

Apparently it's come out that Bad Crow do not in fact have a sealed deal to use the Armoured Core IP.

Yeeeep. From their latest update:

quote:

FROM STATEMENT

We are waiting on the final edits with FROM Software on the mutual statement and will publish it as soon as it is finalized. In summary, it will state that we developed the game with the encouragement of the licensor; that the contract was not finalized before launching the campaign; that the licensors were working with us during the campaign to find a way to complete the agreement; that the complexities in the overlap of the IP by the licensors created confusion as to what parts of the IP we were able to utilize; and that there was misunderstanding as to the degree of approval required on each individual component, particularly the one’s not fully developed that would make up the stretch rewards.

God this one is cascading into a dumpster fire, there's even another part of the update that says they're considering an outright cancellation and later relaunch (which frankly they probably should have done the minute they walked back on the license).

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.
Today in 'Strange Resurrections of Ancient Licenses', someone is trying to make an SLA Industries miniatures wargame: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/darumaproductions/sla-industries-cannibal-sector-1 :confused:

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

JackMann posted:

My folks got me a subscription a while back for my birthday. The quality of Loot crate stuff is pretty uneven. It's better these days, but a year ago, they went through three or four boxes with just utter crap. It's better now, but you're still going to end up with some crap you have no interest in. I mostly enjoy it, but I like random boxes of things. It scratches the gambling itch for me.

The t-shirts are okay. Nothing amazing, but I've been wearing them at the gym, and none have noticeably faded or torn. Granted, that's only a wear and wash once every week or two per shirt, but definitely better than one wash and done.

There was an issue a couple of months back where they had to recall an oven mitt because it didn't insulate well.

The Funko boxes (Marvel Collectors Corps, Star Wars Smuggler's Bounty, DC Legion of Collectors) are all loving awesome and very good quality since it's a variety of funko retail stuff put into the box.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Flavivirus posted:

Today in 'Strange Resurrections of Ancient Licenses', someone is trying to make an SLA Industries miniatures wargame: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/darumaproductions/sla-industries-cannibal-sector-1 :confused:

There's demand for this? What? :confused:

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

sportsgenius86 posted:

The Funko boxes (Marvel Collectors Corps, Star Wars Smuggler's Bounty, DC Legion of Collectors) are all loving awesome and very good quality since it's a variety of funko retail stuff put into the box.

Really? I find most everything they put out is ugly as gently caress. Their style does nothing for me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
And now Giga-Robo will have unique art on all the cards. I really wish I could afford this. Glad for them it's got all the important (IMO) stuff in.