Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Waffleman_ posted:

China's gonna steal my idea!

its true though. Chinese knockoffs are often no longer a knockoff. They are a second production run with the branding removed.

I had a medium sized batch of unique beachballs with fins made for some promo work. A week after my shipment they started to appear on alibaba and the local market streets

That said, they only copy things they think will sell, so no chance that KS is getting stolen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Fauxtool posted:

its true though. Chinese knockoffs are often no longer a knockoff. They are a second production run with the branding removed.

I had a medium sized batch of unique beachballs with fins made for some promo work. A week after my shipment they started to appear on alibaba and the local market streets

That said, they only copy things they think will sell, so no chance that KS is getting stolen

One more reason not to outsource your work :patriot:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Bugsy posted:

I'm sure the IOC has given their permission to use the Olympics for his kickstarter, and since they aren't a litigious bunch it should be fine.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1465703413/lift-anti-gravity-levitating-smartwatch-charger

Only $149 to charge a smart watch, better hurry!

Lol, talking about how they got their idea from Tesla.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

:laffo: at patenting kubb. :D

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
It's almost dumb enough to be endearing. Almost.

Rambling Robot
Sep 13, 2011
Duggar Fan Club Superstar #1 LOL

TetsuoTW posted:

on the plus side that means we already know they'll never deliver

'Let's make Claude's dream a reality!'

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

bvoid posted:

I got a strong satire vibe from the pitch video. Is this for real?

It watches like a Jon Lajoie commercial

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Fauxtool posted:

Can we see a pic of the beachballs?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

SpacePig posted:

If you drew a dumb little thing for a stupid little webcomic and had a chance to cash in on it in a pretty major way, wouldn't you do it? I mean, at least it's not as embarrassing as DickButt

A dickbutt doll/dildo would probably be popular on Kickstarter too.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

It's surprising that no one tried to do something with Dickbutt on K$, remembering how much terrible meme merch and games were submitted in the early years and even now you can buy this crap anywhere.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

laserghost posted:

It's surprising that no one tried to do something with Dickbutt on K$, remembering how much terrible meme merch and games were submitted in the early years and even now you can buy this crap anywhere.

iirc someone tried to do a kickstarter that puts dickbutt on a billboard and KC put a stop to it

I also recall people calling out whether or not KC actually owns DB and someone saying something like putting it online means he gives up ownership of it

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
KC Green is a beautiful man and I wish he'd do more Gunshow.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Evil Fluffy posted:

A dickbutt doll/dildo would probably be popular on Kickstarter too.
I've already got the t-shirt, and two dickbutt print pillows. Would kick-start a plush dickbutt in an instant.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

The only dick butt one needs is the it's always sunny dick towel.

Are there any dumb hiking kickstarters? Outdoorsy people can be a special type

Munchables
Feb 8, 2015

Ask/tell me about legal cannibalism

SaltLick posted:

The only dick butt one needs is the it's always sunny dick towel.

Are there any dumb hiking kickstarters? Outdoorsy people can be a special type

There was a "self-filling" water bottle posted earlier

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

Munchables posted:

There was a "self-filling" water bottle posted earlier

The bottle that turned air into water. Then there was the breather that turned water into air.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Was the goon that tried to walk across America pushing a cart (but then he had to leave the cart and ended his journey over a week after starting) crowdfunded?

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Partially yea. He promised to return the money after his spectacular failure

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

And he didn't even make it a week, he walked 25 miles in two days eating nothing but a handful of raisins, then spent a few days moping at a campsite before taking a taxi home.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3714480 archives needed.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
I got like religiously high one night and ordered a pile of dickbutt stickers from Vistaprint. I liked to hide them around hotel rooms when I traveled for work.

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

IIRC he didn't even return the money, he said he was going to spend it to drive across the country instead. And then he got to Arizona before his BMW shat out and he had to quit again.

And then everyone found out that he had a history of being a scammer.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

lol I didn't know there was a part 2. Awesome

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

How would you like an app that can keep track of where all your photography equipment is so it doesn't get lost or stolen?

Too bad. If only you could keep track of your money not going to funded projects that turn out not to be financially viable.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/fstop/kitsentry/posts/1649494

quote:

Dear KitSentry Backers

We sincerely apologize for the delay in providing a project status update, it is long overdue. Over the last year and a half, we have had multiple starts/stops and run into many roadblocks in trying to bring the KitSentry project to life. When the project began, we planned to use off-the-shelf components and have the software developed to create KitSentry within the funding budget. In hindsight, our original target was much too low to get a project of this nature off the ground effectively.

As the project progressed we ran into two big problems: First, the company that we hired to design and produce the hardware was unable to follow through on their initial cost estimates and production commitments. While this does not absolve us of our responsibilities, it added additional cost beyond the Kickstarter budget.

Second, while developing the software we kept running up against limitations due to existing patents developed for similar tracking software; this caused significant delays and unexpected legal bills. While we may have been able to overcome one of the obstacles, the two combined have proven to be too much at this time. Even after the additional investment of time and money, it has become obvious that KitSentry is not economically viable.

We are currently in the process of the final financial consolidation and we will, as required by Kickstarter, share a topline summary with contributors that request the information. We deeply regret that we are unable to bring this project to market; we poured out heart and soul into making this happen and are very disappointed with the results. We really appreciate all of our backers and know that we let you down. While we can’t bring you KitSentry, we would like to offer you a goodwill credit toward any f-stop product, equal to the amount pledged on Kickstarter.

But don't worry, all that money you pledged gets converted to store credit! Not only did they take your money, they're openly inviting you to spend more of it on them!

Doggles has a new favorite as of 16:10 on Aug 8, 2016

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

bongwizzard posted:

I got like religiously high one night and ordered a pile of dickbutt stickers from Vistaprint. I liked to hide them around hotel rooms when I traveled for work.

Doing the Lord's work :tipshat:

Doggles posted:

How would you like an app that can keep track of where all your photography equipment is so it doesn't get lost or stolen?

Too bad. If only you could keep track of your money not going to funded projects that turn out not to be financially viable.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/fstop/kitsentry/posts/1649494

But don't worry, all that money you pledged gets converted to store credit! Not only did they take your money, they're openly inviting you to spend more of it on them!

Lol, sounds like a couple of "ideas guys" so basically the vast majority of Kickstarters

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
at this point the only kickstarters that you should trust are from people that have already successfully run a KS to completion

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009

Doggles posted:

quote:

In hindsight, our original target was much too low to get a project of this nature off the ground effectively.
This should be the Kickstarter official motto.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Doggles posted:

https://www.lenstag.com/ has existed for years and is actually established.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

This should be the Kickstarter official motto.
[/quote]

I also liked the bit where they kept on infringing on the patents for existing products that do the same thing.

Oben
Aug 7, 2004

Oh, the lights changed
I hate it when a build fails with an "Infringing patent" error.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

here's this worthless piece of crap:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/andrea-frigo/like-o-meter-when-facebook-likes-come-to-life?ref=category

A plastic thumb that connects to your wifi and sticks up when you get a facebook like

expected rrp: 35€

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

why is imgur even worse than before?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It really feels like Imgur is trying to keep people from actually using it as an image host for other sites.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

here's this worthless piece of crap:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/andrea-frigo/like-o-meter-when-facebook-likes-come-to-life?ref=category

A plastic thumb that connects to your wifi and sticks up when you get a facebook like

expected rrp: 35€

What a time to be alive

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I like how they didn't even bother to sand the printer marks off.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

how is it even a metre it doesn't appear to track a thing

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord

MrMoo posted:

why is imgur even worse than before?

id buy one if it was a dick instead constantly getting hard then flaccid then hard then flaccid then hard and well you get the idea

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Iron Prince posted:

id buy one if it was a dick instead constantly getting hard then flaccid then hard then flaccid then hard and well you get the idea

Oh finally, some sense in all this madness :o:

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

same but just a sign "your self-worth" that slowly gets brighter with each like/upvote/emptyquote

resets every morning

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

post is not edit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

see at least that's a metre it's recording things even if it resets