Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
elime anning
Nov 19, 2002

Morbid Hound

thrawn527 posted:

Forgive me for trying to analyze polls, a subject I am in no way qualified for. But is anyone concerned that the polls where Clinton generally does worst are the LV polls? Like, opinion is on her side, but enthusiasm is so low that not everyone polled is going to vote for her, but Trump stays steady?

I know I should be taking the +1 Clinton as an outlier, for the same reason I should take the +15 Clinton as one, but when that is one of 2 LV polls listed here (the other being a +4, her third worst here), I'm worried we're missing something that could be important.

I had this same thought. Let's see where the LV polls are in the next few weeks

That said:

https://twitter.com/PpollingNumbers/status/762618191843627010

edit: this is just an RCP-like aggregate of recent polls:

quote:

he CNN Poll of Polls incorporating the results of six major polls -- all conducted after the party conventions concluded in late July -- finds Clinton with an average of 49% support to Trump's 39%.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

inthesto posted:

I'd actually like to hear these reasons

Well, for one we do not have compulsory voting as in some places, so that cuts off 30-40% of the voters that don't give a gently caress and would vote erratically. These people don't tend to follow polling trends, but they also don't vote so it isn't really that big of a deal.

Second, because we pretty much have a binary political system, it narrows down a lot of the slough.

Third, we have a legitimate voting/counting system that results in fraud free election results. By fraud free I mean just in the ballot box count, not fraud in the campaign.

Fourth, we have a ton of different independent groups conducting polling. For the best statistical analysis of a population, you need a truly random sample. But given the way people work, if you have an actual random and representative sample of a group, you can discern the choices of the group pretty easily. Because we have so many different polling bodies, this works to help remove selection bias.

Basically we have a binary system and a large enough group of polls that the aggregate is really a random yet representative selection of the population.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

Fix posted:

They have not even started on her yet, you see. The economic rollout brought to you by Majority Steves... might... maybe... be the beginning. Unless it doesn't work.

Actually, is there a Steve Miller that works for the campaign? There's your kingpin.

Steve Miller was instrumental in writing the campaign's long-term strategic plan.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Subterfrugal posted:

Steve Miller was instrumental in writing the campaign's long-term strategic plan.

Yep, exactly as I was guessing. :thumbsup:

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

https://twitter.com/mckaycoppins/status/762623063456448512

https://twitter.com/mckaycoppins/status/762623999167848448

https://twitter.com/mckaycoppins/status/762624503344197632

https://twitter.com/mckaycoppins/status/762626124216168448

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.
So if this indie Republican goes anywhere, is he basically a kamikaze attempt to not win states where he runs, but just prevent Donald from winning?

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Oh boy, another hyped theoretical Independent candidate, can't wait until he drops out in three days

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
It would be pretty funny to run a candidate just to steal Utah.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

jon huntsman could win utah but not this dude. who the gently caress's gonna vote for this guy?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Okonner posted:

Republicans: Oh god, what did we do? Trump never focuses on attacking Hillary! He keeps criticizing members of our party! Ooh, ooh, let's make another Republican run against him! That'll fix it!

What did I miss this weekend? :ohdear:

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.

zen death robot posted:

Hasnt this guy missed a ton of deadlines to get on state ballots?

https://twitter.com/MajorCBS/status/762624474688720896

Wonder which battleground/meaningful states he can interfere in.

Dogstoyevsky
Oct 9, 2012

If there is no Dog, everything is permitted

quote:

McMullin is a BYU alum and sources close to his (likely) campaign plan to aggressively contest Utah.

Ahahaha if he gets any traction he's going to give Utah to Hillary hahahahahaha.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Those geniuses at the GOPe have finally found the thing that will kill Trump stone dead, a BYU grad.

Frabba
May 30, 2008

Investing in chewy toy futures

Piquai Souban posted:

So if this indie Republican goes anywhere, is he basically a kamikaze attempt to not win states where he runs, but just prevent Donald from winning?

Could it be an effort to avoid trump negatively affecting down ticket races?

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

i dont expect this to go anywjere but i do hope trump catches wind of it and dedicates a portion of todays speech to it

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
lmao if they run a kamikaze candidate to steal Utah. Mitt Romney is going to be endorsing him then. Trump is going to go ballistic.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

But will he secure the key Robert Morrow endorsement

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Hm. He's no David French.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

trump's not gonna win and it's not because of some byu dork it's cause of this

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

♬ I Know You're Dying Trying To Figure Me Out♬

♬My Name's On The Tip Of Your Tongue Keep Running Your Mouth♬

♬You Want The Recipe But Can't Handle My Sound My Sound My Sound♬

♬No Matter What You Do Im Gonna Get It Without Ya♬

♬ I Know You Ain't Used To A Female Alpha♬
renegade party renegade party renegade party

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

I want 24 more independent Republican candidates for the 24 states where someone else can still get on the ballot.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
You can't draft someone who no one has ever heard of to be your Trump kamikaze candidate.

Surely John Huntsman would be glad to take one for the team.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

Zas posted:

jon huntsman could win utah but not this dude. who the gently caress's gonna vote for this guy?
All the Mormons.

Boosted_C5
Feb 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 years!
Grimey Drawer

Slate Action posted:

Oh boy, another hyped theoretical Independent candidate, can't wait until he drops out in three days

And another no-name nobody too.

Like David French, my initial response here is "Who?"

Just more GOPe death throes.

Give it up globalist scum. We won, you lost, the new GOP is the party of American Nationalism. Join the rest of the neocon scum, give up, and become Democrats.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

im mcwith mcmullin!

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Jeb! is back!

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/762629674614845440

Okonner
Dec 11, 2008

by exmarx

Frabba posted:

Could it be an effort to avoid trump negatively affecting down ticket races?

There is zero chance of it being anything else.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

It's a long shot, but it's not as a long shot as say Trump winning NY or CA.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

zen death robot posted:

Worth it just to have Trump thrown off script and rant about the guy for a week

lol that's a good point

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

This seems like a fun way to extort money out of the Trump campaign. "We got this guy who *could* gently caress you in an essential state. It would be a shame if we couldn't devote all our time and resources to his campaign because our completely separate direct-mail company suddenly got busy."

Boosted_C5
Feb 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 years!
Grimey Drawer
Wasting time and resources in places like Texas could come back to bite them.

Just because you're beating Trump in the polls today and some swing states like Virginia seem safe today doesn't mean the race won't tighten again.

But hey, by all means Clinton campaign, leave the door open for a Trump comeback by buying into the laughable notion that you could win states like Georgia or Texas.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Boosted_C5 posted:

Wasting time and resources in places like Texas could come back to bite them.

Just because you're beating Trump in the polls today and some swing states like Virginia seem safe today doesn't mean the race won't tighten again.

But hey, by all means Clinton campaign, leave the door open for a Trump comeback by buying into the laughable notion that you could win states like Georgia or Texas.

duchess

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
So Boosted, what are you hoping to hear in Trump's big economic speech today?

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Jeb! is back!

in pog form!

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

im mcwillin' to vote for mcmillan!

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

i mean mcmullin!!

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Egg McMuffin 4 President

Okonner
Dec 11, 2008

by exmarx
As a principled conservative I don't gotta be McMullen over my vote anymore!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

The post-convention dip. :allears:

• Locked thread