Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Mirthless posted:

But that's all they are these days. That's how they get elected and it's the driving force behind the entirety of the new guard of the GOP. Where do you think the anti-Obama thing is rooted? I mean, racism obviously, but pandering to racists is just populism in it's basest form.

well they are and they aren't. the base is entirely white nationalist, but do you think they're the ones clamoring for these economic proposals allegedly from trump? republican economics is still 100% elite establishment directed, and that'll be the case for most of trump's policies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

FAUXTON posted:

I think it's more "just because" she's been beating Trump by double/high single digits in the polls for two weeks now chief. Acting like she's too busy beating the poo poo out of the trumpeteers in their own territory to notice a potential comeback in North Carolina is loving funny as hell because it's like some poo poo the loser says in street fighter when they're all beat to hell and bruised up. YOU MAY BE THROWING ME OVER THAT BARREL AGAIN BUT JUST YOU WAIT! I'M NOT OWNED im not owned *picks a fight with a baby* *is a corncob*

Not just two weeks

Hillary has been consistently ahead, often by more than 10 points, for a very long time. She had a brief dip for a few weeks between emailgate and the GOP convention but we're right back to where we were before. (Well, a little ahead, but really)

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

exquisite tea posted:

Clinton has about as much chance of winning Texas as Trump has of winning Illinois. They both went by similar margins last year.

Kaine is just trying to stir up donors + local party apparatus.

Point. Democrats seem much more focused on the downballot than Trump is, given his very reluctant refusal to support them.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

jackofarcades posted:

I think Tim Kaine going to Austin is about more than winning Texas this year, but encouraging the growth of the Dem Party on TX

Yeah it's about loving up my commute.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Zas posted:

well they are and they aren't. the base is entirely white nationalist, but do you think they're the ones clamoring for these economic proposals allegedly from trump? republican economics is still 100% elite establishment directed, and that'll be the case for most of trump's policies

Oh, yeah, of course their policies aren't populist. I'm just saying, they don't have any problem wielding populism to get elected despite this. Populism is more about emotion than reason, which is why Trump has been so successful in this election.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

zen death robot posted:

I still don't see what the independent guy who can't run in half of the states is gonna do unless he gets some legal backing to fight being locked out of the ballot already

Keep Trump from winning Utah sounds like their best case scenario. Not that this guy'd win it. But maybe peel off enough Mormons that Trump can't either. But yeah, even that's iffy as hell.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

oddium posted:

i'm voting for Cool Guyman even if he's not on my state's ballot

I write-in Weedlord Bonerhitler every election :911:

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

jackofarcades posted:

I think Tim Kaine going to Austin is about more than winning Texas this year, but encouraging the growth of the Dem Party on TX
:agreed:

Texas is blue in the next 20 years if the GOP can't stop hemorrhaging hispanic support. If Clinton gave Trump a run for his money on the state it could flip downticket and embolden the party in the future. That means more investment on the state level and more investment from the national party.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

zen death robot posted:

I still don't see what the independent guy who can't run in half of the states is gonna do unless he gets some legal backing to fight being locked out of the ballot already

That's what Anderson did in '80 and I do believe he actually won the lawsuits in a few states to get put on the ballot past the deadline.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Boosted_C5 posted:

Otherwise the same things - 3 individual brackets, 15% corporate tax, no more special treatment for carried interest, no more estate tax, reduced tax hit for repatriation of assets/funds parked abroad, etc.

I'm amazed you didn't call it the death tax.

How many people do you know, personally, that the estate tax affects/affected?

Boosted_C5
Feb 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 years!
Grimey Drawer
Democrats have already ruined New York and California. I pray the people of Texas never suffer the same fate and are subjected to the onerous nightmare that is Democratic governance. Kiss your rights goodbye and open up your wallet.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

This thread is making my Twitter active. I keep shooting hot takes at the idiots linked here.

Also boosted is a temporarily embarrassed millionaire I guess. So he's old guard voter as gently caress. But I guess the tax cuts never made the money come flowing in so he's down to light the place on fire.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

thrawn527 posted:

Keep Trump from winning Utah sounds like their best case scenario. Not that this guy'd win it. But maybe peel off enough Mormons that Trump can't either. But yeah, even that's iffy as hell.

Utah is a combo of NeverTrump Mormons, Gary Johnson, and now this guy. If a third party candidate is going to snipe a state from Trump or Hillary, it's going to be Utah.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Boosted_C5 posted:

Democrats have already ruined New York and California. I pray the people of Texas never suffer the same fate and are subjected to the onerous nightmare that is Democratic governance. Kiss your rights goodbye and open up your wallet.

Wear the hat, Boosted.

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

♬ I Know You're Dying Trying To Figure Me Out♬

♬My Name's On The Tip Of Your Tongue Keep Running Your Mouth♬

♬You Want The Recipe But Can't Handle My Sound My Sound My Sound♬

♬No Matter What You Do Im Gonna Get It Without Ya♬

♬ I Know You Ain't Used To A Female Alpha♬

Boosted_C5 posted:

enjoy all the california transplants to austin :twisted:

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Boosted_C5 posted:

Lol. Dems are only in control of Manhattan in New York. Which is still the symbol of the country and doing great.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

"Regulatory pause period"? That sounds... bad and dumb.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Mirthless posted:

Oh, yeah, of course their policies aren't populist. I'm just saying, they don't have any problem wielding populism to get elected despite this. Populism is more about emotion than reason, which is why Trump has been so successful in this election.

yeah I mean, I think there's a strong desire for a sort of white nationalist party of the kind that trump partially represents, but with more left wing sanders style economics, and a more legitimate anti-globalization bend, which trump hints at but doesn't ever seem to fully embrace. a candidate like that would be a legitimate populist to me, albeit an obviously racist one. but they wouldn't fit into the republican party.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

iospace posted:

Utah is a combo of NeverTrump Mormons, Gary Johnson, and now this guy. If a third party candidate is going to snipe a state from Trump or Hillary, it's going to be Utah.
I honestly don't think Trump is going to win Utah. If I were him I would be campaigning my rear end off there and trying to get as many high profile mormon endorsements as possible.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

GreyjoyBastard posted:

we gotta stop these regulations until we figure out what's going on

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

GreyjoyBastard posted:

One night a year, all financial regulations are lifted...

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

zoux posted:

This seems like an appeal to the donor class, to me.

The donor class understand, better than most, all of Trump's short falls, and more importantly he has proven himself far too erratic to people who want stable and predictable government. making GBS threads on the donor class was one of Trump's strengths.

I give it a week of "staying on message" before the GOP realizes that Trump losing with their message is even worse than Trump losing on his own. Muddying the waters between Trumpism and the GOP brand of "conservatism" is not something any Republican elected official should be encouraging.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

pathetic little tramp posted:

That's what Anderson did in '80 and I do believe he actually won the lawsuits in a few states to get put on the ballot past the deadline.

Found it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anderson_v._Celebrezze

But I remembered wrong, that was a lawsuit to get him on the primary ballot, not the general.

Still, not outside the realm of possibility.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Mirthless posted:

I honestly don't think Trump is going to win Utah. If I were him I would be campaigning my rear end off there and trying to get as many high profile mormon endorsements as possible.

At the end of the day, it's 6 electoral votes. Admittedly Trump needs every single EV he can get but his campaign has got bigger problems, like being 10 down in Pennsylvania.

Boosted_C5
Feb 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 years!
Grimey Drawer
gently caress you citizen, we have determined the firearms you prefer most are "ASSAULT WEAPONS" and are now banned. gently caress you citizen, you are not allowed to carry anymore unless you get one of our new permits which your friendly local Democrat police chief can deny you on a whim. gently caress you citizen, you must now report in your vehicle to a government facility for annual smog inspection. gently caress you citizen, you cannot so much as paint your fence a new color without paying shakedown money for a "permit" from your friendly local Democrat beaurocrat. gently caress you citizen, we bought votes with your tax money instead of paying for roads so you must now stop at toll booths and pay a fee to drive on public roads. gently caress you citizen, running a police state, watching your every move, and micromanaging every aspect of your life, which belongs to us, isn't cheap. We have raised your income taxes so we can afford to terrorize you. Except we'll just keep buying more votes instead of actually putting ourselves on sound financial footing.

-Life in a typical Democrat run hell-hole.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

exquisite tea posted:

At the end of the day, it's 6 electoral votes. Admittedly Trump needs every single EV he can get but his campaign has got bigger problems, like being 10 down in Pennsylvania.

Any Trump Wins scenario wins with him by fewer than 20 EVs so 6 EVs matters a whole hell of a lot to his campaign. He can't afford to lose any states. Losing an obvious safe R state like Utah would be horrifically bad for his campaign.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Boosted_C5 posted:

gently caress you citizen, we have determined the firearms you prefer most are "ASSAULT WEAPONS" and are now banned. gently caress you citizen, you are not allowed to carry anymore unless you get one of our new permits which your friendly local Democrat police chief can deny you on a whim. gently caress you citizen, you must now report in your vehicle to a government facility for annual smog inspection. gently caress you citizen, you cannot so much as paint your fence a new color without paying shakedown money for a "permit" from your friendly local Democrat beaurocrat. gently caress you citizen, we bought votes with your tax money instead of paying for roads so you must now stop at toll booths and pay a fee to drive on public roads. gently caress you citizen, running a police state, watching your every move, and micromanaging every aspect of your life, which belongs to us, isn't cheap. We have raised your income taxes so we can afford to terrorize you. Except we'll just keep buying more votes instead of actually putting ourselves on sound financial footing.

california's doing pretty well for being, you know, half a desert

Boosted_C5
Feb 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 years!
Grimey Drawer
Wrap it up boys, Trump's poll numbers are about to go UP UP UP

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2016/08/08/trump_hit_his_ceiling_131448.html

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Boosted_C5 posted:

My understanding is that smog is actually pretty nasty, and it's a good thing they work to prevent it.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"
*quotes article stating that Trump has hit his support ceiling*
*see's this is a good thing*
*won't wear the hat, is boosted*

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

1. Wear the hat and toxx yourself, clown.

2. Has anyone made the joke that the GOPe is hoping to take a McMulligan on their primary?

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Boosted_C5 posted:

nice meltdown

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

Boosted_C5 posted:

Sorry about your domestic violence conviction/probation and lovely HOA.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Boosted_C5 posted:

:lol: that's a good joke from a bad poster

386-SX 25Mhz VGA
Jan 14, 2003

(C) American Megatrends Inc.,

Boosted_C5 posted:

gently caress you citizen, we bought votes with your tax money instead of paying for roads so you must now stop at toll booths and pay a fee to drive on public roads.
those types of people would still vote for the lieberals even if they werent being bribed with welfare money

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
McMuffin update:

https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/762640481985695744

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Lol like the Republicans work on roads. Also I'm sure I'd die too if I was denied my favorite murder toy and had to use a less tacticool revolver or something

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

I'm pretty sure this Edward McMullin is actually the victim of a pretty sophisticated cyberbullying scheme

Sardine Wit
Sep 3, 2004

Boosted_C5 posted:

Oh no, not the firearms I prefer most!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Mirthless posted:

Any Trump Wins scenario wins with him by fewer than 20 EVs so 6 EVs matters a whole hell of a lot to his campaign. He can't afford to lose any states. Losing an obvious safe R state like Utah would be horrifically bad for his campaign.

True, but there's a lot of uncertainty as to how the Utah scenario will play out. Maybe this BYU guy is legit and will siphon away enough votes to throw the state to Johnson or Clinton, but who knows. The point is that Trump is way down in one state he desperately needs to win and decisively down in just about all the others. His campaign's best chance of winning is to go entirely negative on Clinton, hoping that something will break her soft support and get within striking distance of the popular vote on election day. But in order for that to happen, people will have to forget that the name at the top of the ticket is Donald Trump.

• Locked thread