Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
delta534
Sep 2, 2011

Scyantific posted:

Actually wasn't there a rumor out there somewhere from a Bethsoft dev that pretty much said, "Yeah we ported Skyrim to the new hardware a while back but we didn't think anything about releasing it."

That was not a rumor. Todd Howard confirmed that they did port skyrim as part of the Fallout 4 dev process so that they could get to know the hardware better. Here is the source

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

delta534 posted:

That was not a rumor. Todd Howard confirmed that they did port skyrim as part of the Fallout 4 dev process so that they could get to know the hardware better. Here is the source

Ah there we go, so basically not much work was put into this beyond dusting it off the shelf and adding the polish it needed for a "final release."

Certainly not as long as a true dev cycle.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!
So back on the subject of modding non-remastered Skryim for a moment, is there a mod that, for example, recycles powerful weapons that you've discovered or forged and then sold for cash so that they might end up in the hands of enemies later on? I just kind of like the idea of a careless Dragonborn done in by his own hubris, flooding the market with Legendary Ebony Greatswords of Fire or bows that inflict five seconds of paralysis with every shot.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

If you mean powerful unique weapons you can respawn them using item codes in the console

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

doctor 7 posted:

If you mean powerful unique weapons you can respawn them using item codes in the console
What? I'm not talking about getting them, I'm talking about a mod that tags weapons or armor you've sold and puts them (x days later) in the hands of enemies to make the enemies tougher.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
I just reinstalled Skyrim plus some serious mods and...did Duel v8 get a heavy nerf in combat difficulty or something? I nakedly beat a fully armed enemy with only my fists, with half the strikes against me only taking away stamina and saying something along the lines of me losing cover.

edit: And I can stunlock enemies? Ugh, this makes the game way too easy.

In your all recommendation, what combat mod/combination of combat mods will give the most difficult combat without being unfairly difficult?

Emmideer fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Aug 8, 2016

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Where do I even begin with modding after having been out of the modding scene for this before they dropped the CK for the most part. Mod organizer, skse, LOOT, all the dlcs im assuming. Then what, just go buck wild ?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

tes5edit is the screwdriver you use to gently jimmy the misfitting bits and bobs in place

frankly i don't even bother with loot or just use it as a bare minimum starting point that i then look at with tes5edit to see what it did wrong

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

ProfessorCirno posted:

TES6 will never happen

EDIT: At least not for more then just a few years.

I think tes6 will still come out before the new OP

scamtank posted:

tes5edit is the screwdriver you use to gently jimmy the misfitting bits and bobs in place

frankly i don't even bother with loot or just use it as a bare minimum starting point that i then look at with tes5edit to see what it did wrong

Nah LOOT is enough for 99% of cases, it's when you start mixing mods that do very similar things that you have to watch out.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Chaltab posted:

What? I'm not talking about getting them, I'm talking about a mod that tags weapons or armor you've sold and puts them (x days later) in the hands of enemies to make the enemies tougher.

Whoops, yeah I completely misread what you were asking. Neighbours had been partying until 3-5am the past few days on the weekend but I work it. Guess it's getting to me.

Now that I get what you're saying, loving great idea.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Mortimer posted:

Nah LOOT is enough for 99% of cases, it's when you start mixing mods that do very similar things that you have to watch out.
I still say it's a better idea to never use it and instead set the loadorder yourself by understanding what each mod does. The end result will be more stable and better working setup and when something does break it will make troubleshooting a lot easier.
But then I'm a weirdo who actually enjoys spending a gazillion hours on modding my game.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Raygereio posted:

I still say it's a better idea to never use it and instead set the loadorder yourself by understanding what each mod does. The end result will be more stable and better working setup and when something does break it will make troubleshooting a lot easier.
But then I'm a weirdo who actually enjoys spending a gazillion hours on modding my game.

oh definitely but not running LOOT at all is setting yourself up for problems. The simple "hey idiot you forgot a master file" message is enough to justify its existence.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Mortimer posted:

The simple "hey idiot you forgot a master file" message is enough to justify its existence.
You could instead just check the mod's requirements before smashing your face on the download button. Not reading readmes is the thing that's setting you up for problems there.
LOOT or any other tool is not a replacement for you using your brain.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Raygereio posted:

You could instead just check the mod's requirements before smashing your face on the download button. Not reading readmes is the thing that's setting you up for problems there.

calm down arthmoor, I think you're reading too far into what I said

e: I'll just say it, I run like 200 mods LOOT sorting only and I never had problems. Sorry you're wasting your time :shrug:

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

I think you should make all the mods you want to use yourself.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Raygereio posted:

Ok I don't want be all "I have important things to do :smug:" but honestly what the gently caress else can someone say to this? I've got limited gaming time so I'm not going to waste more time than I already have finding mods I want.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

doctor 7 posted:

Ok I don't want be all "I have important things to do :smug:" but honestly what the gently caress else can someone say to this? I've got limited gaming time so I'm not going to waste more time than I already have finding mods I want.
:shrug: The vast majority of problems posted on the modding threads & forums I visit are caused by people not having read the readme. And those poor sods have to waste far more time troubleshooting their issue, then it would have taken them to skim the readme for important info like requirements or install details.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Raygereio posted:

:shrug: The vast majority of problems posted on the modding threads & forums I visit are caused by people not having read the readme. And those poor sods have to waste far more time troubleshooting their issue, then it would have taken them to skim the readme for important info like requirements or install details.

lmao get the gently caress outta here

"If you don't grow the mods yourselves you are MISSING OUT"

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Raygereio posted:

I'm not trying to sound condescending here but people using LOOT and having no issues don't post.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

doctor 7 posted:

If you're not spending more hours modding the game than playing it then you're playing it wrong

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

You can check missing masters in both Mod Manager and Mod Organizer.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Dongattack posted:

I wish that when Bethesda sees that "wow, the modding community is keeping our games alive and selling for years and years after its release!" their first instinct would be: "we should make our games really robust, tailored to modding and not poo poo itself the moment you are forced to update or remove a mod!" and not: "how can we monetize this?!"

It's the classic Microsoft problem - if your old poo poo is painful, but fixing it will break everything, which is preferable?

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So I installed Custom Races to test it out and it caused my character and my followers to be locked in a default pose with no animations at all, except face animations like talking and blinking. So I uninstalled it hoping it would fix the problem... it did not. Does anybody know what the hell went wrong and how to fix it?

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

Chaltab posted:

So I installed Custom Races to test it out and it caused my character and my followers to be locked in a default pose with no animations at all, except face animations like talking and blinking. So I uninstalled it hoping it would fix the problem... it did not. Does anybody know what the hell went wrong and how to fix it?

Do you use FNIS? If so make sure you run the FNIS generation program.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

Do you use FNIS? If so make sure you run the FNIS generation program.
:doh: That was it. Thank you.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Mortimer posted:

e: I'll just say it, I run like 200 mods LOOT sorting only and I never had problems. Sorry you're wasting your time :shrug:

Raygereio posted:

Both these things are true, amazingly!

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

It's been a couple years since I played this game, and I'm having trouble with Mod Organizer. Reinstalled Skyrim and updated MO, and launching the game through MO causes the game to stall after hitting the New Game button. It doesn't move on to a loading screen, but instead stays on the opening menu screen indefinitely. I have no mods loaded up right now, I did a clean install of both Skyrim and MO, and the game launches fine using the default launcher, so it's definitely something to do with MO. To get even this far I have to run MO as administrator; not doing so garbles the menu options and disables my cursor. I don't remember anything like this happening when I last played, and I'm hoping I'm overlooking something simple because I can't figure out what's going on.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Did you install it outside of Program Files? Did you run the launcher outside of MO at least once?

Edit: when it's on the title screen, does it ever actually display the menu or just seem to hang before that? And are you playing with power in English?

Agents are GO! fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Aug 10, 2016

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

Installed MO in Program Files (with administrator privileges) and then installed a separate instance in a different folder with the same results. I ran the launcher outside of MO first (and running the launcher in MO straight up crashes the game). The menu displays fine, starting a new game makes the "new game" sound and clears the menu as if its going to start loading, but never does. It is in English.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

ajkalan posted:

Installed MO in Program Files (with administrator privileges) and then installed a separate instance in a different folder with the same results. I ran the launcher outside of MO first (and running the launcher in MO straight up crashes the game). The menu displays fine, starting a new game makes the "new game" sound and clears the menu as if its going to start loading, but never does. It is in English.

Is Skyrim installed in Program Files?

e: Also are you running any mods, and does your Skyrim and Skyrim/data folder contain anything else than the default Skyrim files? They don't need to, I'm just curious if they do.

e2: Also, have you tried running Steam's "validate integrity of Game Cache" function? It might fix things up if something is wrong with your install.

ThaumPenguin fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Aug 10, 2016

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Yeah, when it comes to modding, everything - the game files and all your modding tools - needs to be outside of Program Files. Also validate your cache.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Agents are GO! posted:

Yeah, when it comes to modding, everything - the game files and all your modding tools - needs to be outside of Program Files. Also validate your cache.

For the record, though, I have all my games installed in Program Files and have never had an issue... because I've gone through the effort of re-assigning ownership and control of these files to my account rather than "Trusted Installer." This may or may not be a good idea from a security standpoint, and may or may not even be easier than using a different location to install. Just a note.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
I've always just installed everything in program files and haven't gone to any other extra effort and have never had a problem. :shrug:

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Chaltab posted:

So back on the subject of modding non-remastered Skryim for a moment, is there a mod that, for example, recycles powerful weapons that you've discovered or forged and then sold for cash so that they might end up in the hands of enemies later on? I just kind of like the idea of a careless Dragonborn done in by his own hubris, flooding the market with Legendary Ebony Greatswords of Fire or bows that inflict five seconds of paralysis with every shot.

I doubt there is a mod for that, but that sounds great, some random bandit lord getting a discounted daedric artifact the player sold to a merchant for 1000g.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
PredCaliber came out with an August 2016 "Best Graphics" Skyrim Modding Tutorial recently.

This guide uses and teaches Mod Organizer instead of his previous guide which used Nexus Mod Manager, so now you can make Skyrim beautiful while having someone lead you along in learning how MO works. The guide makes the process super easy by cherry-picking all the links you need. Just click, download, and install via MO selecting the same options he selects for each mod. He also provides both his Skyrim.ini and SkyrimPrefs.ini files for you to just copy-paste from so you do not have to learn what each value does and do any sort of performance tweak-testing yourself.

For anyone on the fence about modding Skyrim but found the process too daunting, I would give this a try. He even posted follow-along-click-by-click YouTube videos for the ultimate handholding experience if needed. It really doesn't get much easier than this, and going through the process will give you a lot of confidence as you become familiar with how Mod Organizer works and which mods are changing which parts of the game.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Gobblecoque posted:

I've always just installed everything in program files and haven't gone to any other extra effort and have never had a problem. :shrug:

Guess this varies also depending on the setup of Windows. Is your account an administrator and the owner of the directories in which the games are installed? I'd always figured that this is why I never had an issue. I set that up when I discovered that I wasn't the owner of Program Files for reasons that have nothing to do with modding (i.e., just on general obstinate principle).

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I doubt there is a mod for that, but that sounds great, some random bandit lord getting a discounted daedric artifact the player sold to a merchant for 1000g.
Bonus points if you enchanted it and named it BanditSmasher.

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

ThaumPenguin posted:

Is Skyrim installed in Program Files?

Yes, this was the problem, I installed the game outside of Program Files and that messed everything up. Thanks to you and Agents are Go for the help!

Now, I just need to get back to picking what mods to use from this downloaded collection of...300 or so. Though I suppose that's half the fun of the game.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

I eyeballed the mod list and I run most of it - that's a pleasant surprise from most lists I've seen. I think it's a good list overall even if I would change a few things myself - but that's going to be any mod list, right? If you're in the "I just want my Skyrim to look better without much effort" category, give this a shot.

I'm curious about how much praise he's giving the ENB - it's one I haven't tried, so I'll work up a new MO profile and give this setup a try later this week. I'll report back sometime after the new OP goes up.

I would say that if you follow the guide, feel free to take or skip, with almost certainly no penalty, the companion/NPC/Serana stuff. your waifu is showing, predcaliber ;)

Psion fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Aug 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

does anyone else vomit in their mouth a little when they see someone suggest Apachii skyhair? Like maybe its gotten better but after seeing it in every bethesda game over the decade it has never looked good to me.

• Locked thread