Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

First they came for the Dratini nests, and I did not speak out - because I did not live near a Dratini nest.

Then they came for the scanner sites, and I did not speak out - because I did not use a scanner site.

Then they came for Pokeadvisor, and I did not speak out - because I did not use Pokeadvisor.

But I'm definitely going to mock goons in the thread after all of these. :troll:

Polio Vax Scene fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Aug 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I'm doing about a mile a night in walking to catch some mon, and to time down my eggs. Of course it's still 100+ at 7pm and getting dark, but gently caress it, I am not playing this at work in 2 minute intervals and I can use the exercise. But I cant wait till loving fall when I can do a lot more. Maybe even look into getting a bicycle to cover more ground.

gently caress it's still better than paying for a gym membership you never use.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Here's a locally run alternative to Poke-Advisor if you're desperate to check IVs.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

kuroiXiru posted:

Sucks about Pokéadvisor. Luckily Blossom's PoGO Manager still works for me (at least for checking IVs, I've never used it to transfer/evolve etc.)

I've had good luck with IVTool. I'll set it to not rename anything, but to dump a .csv file of the stats, then I can just pull it up as a spreadsheet.

It hasn't been updated in a while, but it worked a couple of days ago. The only issue I found is where it says to just skip the login info and it'll default to Google doesn't seem to quite work, I have to put my Google info in on the command line, then it'll come up with the link for the token.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

indigi posted:

they're giving them even more chances to adapt by making changes to the game's API before banning anyone. honestly, except for the most egregious cases of people spoofing to different continents within the same day I really don't think bans are coming, they're just going to keep making it harder for cheaters to cheat.

Have you ever played a MMO, a FPS with persistent stats, or basically any modern online game? The best way to ban cheaters is to gather as much information against them, patch up the exploits, and then ban in massive waves. That's exactly what Blizzard did with Overwatch recently. Yeah, Niantic is annoyingly uncommunicative, but the whole meme about them being incompetent beyond belief is getting really tiring and is based on zero evidence. Of course they're going to ban botters and spoofers eventually.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
Fuuuuck a slowbro showed up in my nearby list of all things first, and my scanner was wandering around elsewhere i guess, and when i finally get that beep..

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

I'm curious if pokestops have varying drop rates for eggs. I've hit 137 stops so far and gotten 48 eggs (35%). And of those 48, less than 10 have been 2km eggs, and around 10 have been 10km, with the vast majority being 5km. I've heard lots of people say they have <20% egg drops from stops though, or 75% 2k eggs and zero 10km ones and similar stories, could it maybe be a result of them sitting at the same stop and hitting it repeatedly which decreases egg rates over time or something? I don't usually get the bonus items for hitting 10 different stops in a row so that isn't it; I think I've gotten 6 items maybe twice ever.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
You can only hold 9 eggs right? I'm a lowly 13 with no ability to get extra incubators, and I'm too lazy to go more than a mile or two a day, so I'm maxed out at 9 eggs constantly. The minute I hatch one it's replaced.

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

No way to dump lower k eggs, eh?

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Cartouche posted:

Gotta hatch em all

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

PokeAdvisor had their access revoked :(

I'd rather be without a scanner app than without PokeAdvisor. This is seriously a dick move on Niantic's part. IVs are actually a really important factor and there's *nothing* in-game that displays this info.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

kuroiXiru posted:

Sucks about Pokéadvisor. Luckily Blossom's PoGO Manager still works for me (at least for checking IVs, I've never used it to transfer/evolve etc.)

This is pretty great and better than pokeadvisor since it can store your auth locally and you can transfer stuff right in it.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Cartouche posted:

Life begins at conception.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I finally got 125+ Nidoran male candies. I have a 286 CP Nidoran that's around 77% IV, and a 364 CP one that's at 50%. Is it worth it to evolve one of these up to Nidoking? If so, which? I'm level 19 right now, if that matters.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

seiferguy posted:

I finally got 125+ Nidoran male candies. I have a 286 CP Nidoran that's around 77% IV, and a 364 CP one that's at 50%. Is it worth it to evolve one of these up to Nidoking? If so, which? I'm level 19 right now, if that matters.

Higher IV means higher max CP. Given unlimited time higher IV will always be the better choice.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Rafza posted:

like, gps spoofing and autotrainers, fine yeah they're cheating, and scanners, sure yeah they increase load on the servers i guess, fine

but pokeadvisor did neither of those and presented information in an easy to access manner, which encouraged people to go out and play the lovely game

how are you so bad at this niantic

Basically how I feel.

Garth_Marenghi
Nov 7, 2011

Milestone. Got my first CP by training at a gym, opening one slot taken by a squatter, opening a second slot taken by a squatter, then finally opening up a third spot and parking my Starmie with Tackle and Psy beam. Proving you don't need good IV or even moved to take over a GYM. After collecting my 10 CP i was promptly ousted.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!

Dahbadu posted:

IVs are actually a really important factor and there's *nothing* in-game that displays this info.

They really aren't, tbh, unless you're minmaxing.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Dahbadu posted:

IVs are actually a really important factor

Until they add more gameplay they're really not.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Nice! Grats man!

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Waltzing Along posted:

gently caress 10k eggs.

I've gotten 3:

Pinsir: already had
Eevee: already had
Scyther: already had

gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress

Yeah, those seems the most common. Especially Eevees. I have a 10k egg incubating right now. If it turns into another Eevee... :smith:

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Waltzing Along posted:

Pogo live map has an unexpected bonus feature: it adds to your egg step count when it is scanning.

Can you link to this?

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I've been getting pretty good luck with my 2km eggs turning into starter pokemon. Now, if I could just find a bulbasaur nest around where I live...

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Kajeesus posted:

All my 10km eggs have been Mr. Mimes.

I'd take a Mr Mime!

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Space Skeleton posted:

They should just show the attack/defense/stamina stats in the game in my opinion. I get that Pokemon games usually hide them but I just never have agreed with hiding stats from players in games where stats are the only thing which sets items, characters or abilities apart. It's not like 3 numbers is some insane amount of data which would cause filthy casual players to explode at trying to comprehend.

Agreed.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Megaflare posted:

Should use PokeAssistant or any of the calculators that give you a range instead. The SR calculator is pretty but not accurate and only shows you one possibility even if there are more.

Ed: It can be useful to look at the value ranges though to quickly go through a bunch without entering the data of every single one.

Thanks for namedropping Poke Assistant. I've bookmarked the site.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

kuroiXiru posted:

You are a good person. Bookmarking!

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

kuroiXiru posted:

Does this thing run on mac?

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

GeneX posted:

Does this thing run on mac?

It should, it's a .jar Java file

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Any Seattleites see any truth to this post?

http://seattle.curbed.com/maps/pokemon-go-nests-seattle-bellevue

I caught a ton of Krabbies at Green Lake, for sure. But I haven't headed to any of the other parks.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Evilreaver posted:

It should, it's a .jar Java file

Awesome, I guess I need to get java working again but it should be good

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Roar posted:

They really aren't, tbh, unless you're minmaxing.

Minmaxing is part of the fun for a lot of people. If it's fun for you (or someone else) to throw an endless wave of rats to take a gym, cool, more power too you. For me (and I'm guessing others here), it's fun to collect and evolve the best pokemon. It's fun to find that perfect Pikachu or Pidgy, or whatever.

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Life begins at conception.

But... I did not fertilize them!

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Dahbadu posted:

Can you link to this?

He posted, wheezing heavily

SierraNovember
Nov 3, 2011
DON'T YOU FUCKING DARE TELL ME THAT YOU'RE A WOMEN OR GAY. I'M SO TIRED OF PEOPLE TELLING ME THAT THAT I KEEP BREAKING MY FUCKING KEYBOARD. GOD JUST READING THAT MAKES ME WANT TO BASH IT IN UNTIL EVERYTHING IS COVERED WITH BLOOD, FLESH, AND BONE AAAARGHAARHGHGHAHRHHFFF

Dahbadu posted:

Minmaxing is part of the fun for a lot of people. If it's fun for you (or someone else) to throw an endless wave of rats to take a gym, cool, more power too you. For me (and I'm guessing others here), it's fun to collect and evolve the best pokemon. It's fun to find that perfect Pikachu or Pidgy, or whatever.

Min Maxing in games is the worst kind of addiction. So fulfilling to grind for the sake of stats and epeen for essentially pointless pixels. gently caress reading this thread and how IV works. I thought I'd gotten away from all of this!

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

theflyingexecutive posted:

He posted, wheezing heavily

if it adds to your egg distance odds are it's gonna look to Niantic like you're botting (because you essentially are). there's legit reasons to be concerned, if you think they're gonna start dropping permabans

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

SierraNovember posted:

Min Maxing in games is the worst kind of addiction. So fulfilling to grind for the sake of stats and epeen for essentially pointless pixels. gently caress reading this thread and how IV works. I thought I'd gotten away from all of this!

I'm just saying to each his (or her) own. I'm not gonna judge people for enjoying different aspects of this game. For example, there's a bunch of pokemon players that just sit there all day in one spot. They're usually in a group playing, all chatting and hanging out. Are they getting exercise? No, not really, but they're enjoying due to other reasons. Although they're playing it differently than me, I'm not gonna judge them.

People I will judge are those that act like dicks or endanger others or themselves.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
Got this yesterday morning before Pokestumble bit the big one. Had to sprint around the complex To get there in time. Chansey was 78%. Other two were sub 40%.

It would have been impossible to catch this or even find it with the app open. Local scanning should be allowed because holy poo poo the tracker is a hosed up piece of garbage that can't even stay consistent between two people standing next to each other. How hard is it to have the phones locally track Pokemon location and just reload the list every 10-15 seconds.
:cmon:

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
Wigglytuff with pound/hyper beam is a loving beast. my 1400CP ~85ish% IV buddy can take down anything 2000CP and under, and over that only Snorlax and Dragonite are unbeatable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Just had a CP 1100 Aerodactyl spawn. A razberry and a great ball each throw. 12 break frees later it runs away.

That poo poo takes the wind right out of you.

• Locked thread