Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
https://twitter.com/MEPFuller/status/762645654988611584

https://twitter.com/MEPFuller/status/762646184565542912

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Mel Mudkiper posted:

One of the best shows ever imho

RENO911! is actually better than it's premise, and it's a really, really good premise.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

theflyingorc posted:

RENO911! is actually better than it's premise, and it's a really, really good premise.

Definitely, I used to watch it intermittently when it was on, and I regret not watching it all the time

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Mel Mudkiper posted:

One of the best shows ever imho

The only comedy show I can think of, off the top of my head, that I would set against it is News Radio, and even then only the first few years.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Trump's first Executive Actions upon getting in office, per his twitter:

Suspend All Regulations.

Because of course he will.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

CommieGIR posted:

Suspend All Regulations.

hey trump, that's a synonym for "get rid of all the laws" FYI

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

theflyingorc posted:

hey trump, that's a synonym for "get rid of all the laws" FYI

Maybe this Trump guy will earn my vote afterall.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
And do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law

tabris
Feb 17, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

haveblue posted:

And do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law

Jedem das Seine.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc
first he came for my birds, but i said nothing because the wind had killed all my birds

then he came for my regulations, but i said nothing bec

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

https://twitter.com/NateSilver538/status/762649765687365633

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The only comedy show I can think of, off the top of my head, that I would set against it is News Radio, and even then only the first few years.

There was a great interview I read about entire bits they had to cut because everyone laughed too hard.

The best one was a Muslim outreach event that was a showing of Disney's Aladdin

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

CommieGIR posted:

Suspend All Regulations.

Seriously? Have I been stuck in a Freep fever dream for the last year and a half?

theflyingorc posted:

first he came for my birds, but i said nothing because the wind had killed all my birds

then he came for my regulations, but i said nothing bec

I don't understand the opposition to wind energy at all. Windmills don't literally destroy the wind and kill all our birds, I'm at a complete loss.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

CommieGIR posted:

Suspend All Regulations.

So he's got to be a prank, right? Nobody could be this stupid, could they?

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Riosan posted:

Seriously? Have I been stuck in a Freep fever dream for the last year and a half?

I don't understand the opposition to wind energy at all. Windmills don't literally destroy the wind and kill all our birds, I'm at a complete loss.

:qq: We can see them from the beach and they're going to devalue our summer estates :qq:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Trump is the Nazi dentist from the Running Man drilling on America's teeth while repeating "Is it safe?"

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Riosan posted:

Sometimes birds do crash into windmills and die. This happens in minuscule numbers compared to birds killed by other human-related things like windows and cats.

But yeah, it's really about NIMBYism and expensive views being altered.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Imagine There Are No Polls - Do you think there is evidence Hillary Clinton will win in November?

Yes: 80%
No: 15%
Unsure: 5%

Bill Mitchell Polling (7/8)

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Technically wind turbines are a higher risk for larger and more endangered bird species than the usual buildings/cats defense. But given that these arguments come from the same folks that think DDT got a bad wrap, it's hard to take it seriously.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Riosan posted:

The objections as I understand them, in order of importance:

1. Still not as economically efficient as fossil fuels

2. Ugly

3. There can be birdstrikes, which is bad if there are some endangered species around

4. If it's just not windy in a large area, it can sometimes cause rolling brownouts

5. EXTREMELY large numbers of them could have some effect on local weather patterns or something?

Dirt
May 26, 2003

CommieGIR posted:

Suspend All Regulations.

ALL regulations? Or just banning all new ones?

It can't be all of them... Right? Haha

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

I wish she'd come out and say she doesn't want support from W and Cheney but it's unlikely. :sigh:

Harrow posted:

Throw away evidence that can actually predict anything and then how does Hillary look? :smug:

This is to go beyond unskewing. You can call it ascended unskewing, or unskewing 2.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Geostomp posted:

So he's got to be a prank, right? Nobody could be this stupid, could they?

My mind keeps going back to the thought that Trump is a Hillary Clinton plant.

Like I know it can't be true. but maaaaaaaaaaan.....

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Dirt posted:

i mean - I'm really looking forward to their not being a standardized width for highway lanes, that should be fun

also the complete removal of record keeping at financial institutions

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

theflyingorc posted:

i mean - I'm really looking forward to their not being a standardized width for highway lanes, that should be fun

also the complete removal of record keeping at financial institutions

Show me where in ~natural law~ it says that red means stop and green means go.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Evil Fluffy posted:

I wish she'd come out and say she doesn't want support from W and Cheney but it's unlikely. :sigh:

This is to go beyond unskewing. You can call it ascended unskewing, or unskewing 2.

Newt already went even further beyond with his "It doesn't matter what the facts say it's about feeling"

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Dirt posted:

"suspending," under normal circumstances, would imply halting enforcement of all existing regulations

he means business regulations, but he's an idiot and his campaign is a disaster so it doesn't say that

also because he's an idiot and his campaign is a disaster, no thought has been given to the actual consequences or feasibility of such an action

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

theflyingorc posted:

2. Ugly

3. There can be birdstrikes, which is bad if there are some endangered species around

4. If it's just not windy in a large area, it can sometimes cause rolling brownouts

5. EXTREMELY large numbers of them could have some effect on local weather patterns or something?

#4 is a legitimate argument in regards to both wind and solar. Both are very dependent on the weather, and if the weather is not favorable, then they don't generate as well. As it stands right now, they're largely used to take the load off fossil fuel, nuclear, and hydro plants, which can produce consistently.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

CommieGIR posted:

Suspend All Regulations.

Is Trump gonna be the first Purge president, but unironically?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Spaced God posted:

Is Trump gonna be the first Purge president, but unironically?

No, he didn't say it would only be for 12 hours.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

emdash posted:

"suspending," under normal circumstances, would imply halting enforcement of all existing regulations

he means business regulations, but he's an idiot and his campaign is a disaster so it doesn't say that

also because he's an idiot and his campaign is a disaster, no thought has been given to the actual consequences or feasibility of such an action

:psyduck:

This election is insane.

In other news JMC Analytics(C rating from 538, has them with a +0.9 R lean) has Clinton up :chanpop: 7 points in a 4 way poll of Georgia today. She is trending towards flipping GA pretty hard

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

iospace posted:

#4 is a legitimate argument in regards to both wind and solar. Both are very dependent on the weather, and if the weather is not favorable, then they don't generate as well. As it stands right now, they're largely used to take the load off fossil fuel, nuclear, and hydro plants, which can produce consistently.

Solar has the benefit that some of the newer plants can still generate electricity for hours in dark/cloudy conditions because the molten salt (or whatever) that the mirrors aim at will stay at a ridiculously high temperature for hours even without additional heat feeding it. Still not ideal but that's why you'd keep some nuclear plants around running at low levels and ramping up as solar/wind output drops to help avoid brownouts.

Dirt posted:

:psyduck:

This election is insane.

In other news JMC Analytics(C rating from 538, has them with a +0.9 R lean) has Clinton up :chanpop: 7 points in a 4 way poll of Georgia today. She is trending towards flipping GA pretty hard

Everyone I know in Georgia who isn't fully on the Trump train or a Clinton conspriacist is hyped as poo poo about the chance to flip the state this year. If Dems run a solid GOTV ground game there it could be very possible.

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

theflyingorc posted:

2. Ugly

Sometimes windmills are placed near residences and apparently they're REALLY loving LOUD. Like, drive you insane loud.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

iospace posted:

Yeah, I wasn't making a value judgment on any of them, just discussing all the criticisms of the technology I've heard.

Huh, apparently onshore wind has gotten really cheap since the last time I did any investigation into it. Looks like solar photovoltaic and onshore wind are finally getting competitive with coal.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

its almost as if wind is a piece of a whole in a renewable energy world

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006
The wind kills all your birds.

All your birds, killed.

vvv:sad:vvv

poor life choice fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Aug 8, 2016

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

The biggest downside to wind is that it kills all the birds. All of them. No birds.
E:fb

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Wouldn't flipping Georgia basically win the election instantly?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Night10194 posted:

It's more that if GA is flipping, there are a whole bunch of less red states that flipped already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Night10194 posted:

Flip the cause and effect- Georgia flipping would be a side effect of the nation as a whole being ready to give Hillary a landslide.

• Locked thread