Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Golden Goat posted:

I was actually curious if it's worth a playthrough. I kinda like really goofy bad adventure games.

But that sounds pretty awful.

If you use a walkthrough it's at least pretty funny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Palpek posted:

Do you at least get a game over screen or something or do you need to figure out that the game is unsolvable on your own?

It's an adventure game so it's definitely the latter

also, what game is that?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
It's CONSPIRACIES 2. I also have conspiracies 1, but they forgot to make the digital download not need the DVD so I can never play it

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Golden Goat posted:

Second group probably exists. Like I don't think "Minecraft in space" really appeals to everybody.

Nothing appeals to everybody :rolleyes: It definitely appeals to some people though.

axleblaze posted:

To be fair, I can't imagine putting in this much work into a project and not even looking into how legal it even is to be making it in the first place. It's not like this isn't a limbo they very knowingly put themselves into.

Oh sure, they do go into it knowing what they're in for, and that's why I wouldn't do something like that. But you don't have many choices, and if you love a particular IP it should be allowed. Things like fan projects of Star Wars can be very popular and give people a cool outlet for creative ideas, and can even be a leg-up into a profession. And its not necessarily a bad thing for the IP even, it can even make it stronger. There's a reaosn why Star Wars let people get away with stuff like that. (Sucks Disney is kinda changing the game)

The only option you really have though is to not use the IP and just make your own completely original work, which obviously isnt' going to be as popular or get much attention. I mean, that's what I'd do if I was making a game because I'd hate to put in that much work and then have it get sued and not be able to even let people play it for free. But that's not ideal.

Its fair that IP authors should have control over the official branding and profiting, but if you're not making money and you're real clear on your box and your website "this is a free non-commercial fan work" you should be allowed to make your own star wars stuff in your backyard if you want to.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

corn in the bible posted:

If you use a walkthrough it's at least pretty funny

I'll have to find a copy.

Any other awful-good adventure games to try?

Zaphod42 posted:

Nothing appeals to everybody :rolleyes: It definitely appeals to some people though.
Sorry meant that as in "It doesn't appeal to me and everybody else is hype for it WHO THE gently caress LIKES THIS GAME WHAT BABIES HERE'S MY REVIEW OF THIS GARBAGE!-5/10!!"

Now in article format:
http://www.gameskinny.com/ikxtw/5-reasons-why-no-mans-sky-is-probably-going-to-be-a-big-disappointment

Golden Goat fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Aug 8, 2016

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Golden Goat posted:

WHO THE gently caress LIKES THIS GAME WHAT BABIES HERE'S MY REVIEW OF THIS GARBAGE!-5/10!!"
An accurate and concise review for No Man's Sky.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Palpek posted:

It's probably because recently Order 1886 left a bad taste in my mouth with a thing like that (and having its sequel cancelled).

Did it not sell well? I thought there was a lot of hype for that game, and I know it takes more than bad reviews for a AAA game to not get a sequel nowadays so

Golden Goat posted:

http://lparchive.org/Lost-in-Time/

That one. Lost in Time.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I bought The Order for $10 about three months after it came out and that was an official Sony PSN sale

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

FirstAidKite posted:

Did it not sell well? I thought there was a lot of hype for that game, and I know it takes more than bad reviews for a AAA game to not get a sequel nowadays so
It didn't sell well enough to justify its production values. The franchise is owned by Sony which decided that it's not worth further investment. It doesn't help that the game has some really high production values so you can't just cut the sequel's budget in half or something.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

axleblaze posted:

To be fair, I can't imagine putting in this much work into a project and not even looking into how legal it even is to be making it in the first place. It's not like this isn't a limbo they very knowingly put themselves into.

Also the second it's released and at least one other person has a copy of it you're good to go forever in terms of distribution online. I'm glad these people got their game out there because I've been playing it and holy cow is it good

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

In Training posted:

Also the second it's released and at least one other person has a copy of it you're good to go forever in terms of distribution online. I'm glad these people got their game out there because I've been playing it and holy cow is it good

I unironically like it more than Zero Mission and Fusion. It has some rough bits bit so did those games and it manages to be fun and engaging the whole way through without the *s I put next to ZM and Fusion.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

The metroid fights are unfun, but I guess that's accurate to the original so what can you do

The rest is good, I liked it a lot

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Aug 8, 2016

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The Tower area and the whole area in the lower right that I forget the name of are honestly two of my favorite sections in any of the 2D metroids.

I feel like the very end of the game falls off a bit and some of the later bosses aren't that fun, but it also has some really awesome bosses like Torizo and the Tester.

It's just really good and I'm very impressed.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It was said in the PS4 thread but bears repeating:

No Man's Sky literally has everything that the extant build of Star Citizen has, and more.

I mean, that's not a high bar to clear, but Chris Roberts and CIG are looking really terrible now and I'm constantly baffled that they haven't been sued or shamed out of existence.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Palpek posted:

It didn't sell well enough to justify its production values. The franchise is owned by Sony which decided that it's not worth further investment. It doesn't help that the game has some really high production values so you can't just cut the sequel's budget in half or something.

Why were the production values so high? I thought most of that game was cutscenes or QTEs with some shooting or something, what was it about the order that was so expensive to make? did they get an all-star cast or something?

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

precision posted:

It was said in the PS4 thread but bears repeating:

No Man's Sky literally has everything that the extant build of Star Citizen has, and more.

I mean, that's not a high bar to clear, but Chris Roberts and CIG are looking really terrible now and I'm constantly baffled that they haven't been sued or shamed out of existence.

No, no they've always been terrible, we didn't need NMS to release to know this.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

FirstAidKite posted:

Why were the production values so high? I thought most of that game was cutscenes or QTEs with some shooting or something, what was it about the order that was so expensive to make? did they get an all-star cast or something?

Graphics. Its one of the best looking games ever made, as far as technical details go.

The rest of the game though is crap. Should have been a 3D movie or something.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

i got the order bundled w my ps4 and i dont get the hate. it was a fun game! short but enjoyable.!

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Misshapen pikachus and citb's second playthrough screenshots of Desperate Housewives are currently winning this month. Yeah I'm keeping score.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I liked the Star Fox comic personally

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

FirstAidKite posted:

What you just listed is some super expensive content, especially when you're producing it to the visual level that the Order is at.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Why has nobody told me how ridiculous Phantasy Star Online 2 is?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3DmK6lF7W4

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Golden Goat posted:

Why has nobody told me how ridiculous Phantasy Star Online 2 is?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3DmK6lF7W4

Wow, is that PSO or Armored Core?!

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2016/08/08/sony-issues-manual-copyright-strikes-against-youtubers-for-discussing-no-mans-sky.aspx

Oops

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Video takedowns are ridiculous "shoot first, ask questions later" affairs.

Look at when Adam Sandler's Pixels movie sent takedown notices to anybody who had a video with "pixels" in the title; even people who were reviewing monitors over a year before Pixels was ever released. Videos that didn't even talk about movies at all.

Its really dumb.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

God drat it google, get a better robot.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

FirstAidKite posted:

http://www.readyatdawn.com/presentations/

The game isn't great, but as a tech demo it's pretty drat impressive at a lot of points.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

I unironically like it more than Zero Mission and Fusion. It has some rough bits bit so did those games and it manages to be fun and engaging the whole way through without the *s I put next to ZM and Fusion.

What's the caveats for ZM? I personally think that's like, a perfect game.

Beelerzebub
May 28, 2016

I came here to laugh at you.

Dewgy posted:

http://www.readyatdawn.com/presentations/

The game isn't great, but as a tech demo it's pretty drat impressive at a lot of points.

It really should have been the Wii Sports of the PS4. I.E. Bundled with the system for free. There wasn't enough content to call it a full game, really, but you're right. As a tech demo, it's fantastic. I hope it gets a sequel that is longer, more fleshed out, and just better in every way, similar to what happened with Red Steel.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

In Training posted:

I'm not super hot on the stealth segments at the end of ZM personally.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

In Training posted:

People who favor SM usually don't like ZM's heavier weight. Also, generally, there's a bunch of people who don't like the post-Mother Brain portion on Chozodia with the Zero Suit Stealth section.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Golden Goat posted:

There's that really bad Ukrainian one with the idiotic story and the horrible acting. I think it's called Second Life or something? That one is more awful-awful than awful-good though.

Ventana posted:

People who favor SM usually don't like ZM's heavier weight. Also, generally, there's a bunch of people who don't like the post-Mother Brain portion on Chozodia with the Zero Suit Stealth section.

Yeah, this. I also didn't care much for ZM's art style but that doesn't really have any effect on the gameplay quality.

I actually like Fusion more than ZM and I enjoy AM2R about as much as Fusion.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Aug 8, 2016

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
If you're one of the few people left that doesn't hate third person cover shooters. The Order is fine. If be passed if I payed $60 for it but it was easily worth $10 for the production values and some of the ideas alone. While it's certainly not great (and now has been far surpassed tech wise) it's still not quite as bad as its reputation

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I'd say The Order 1886 is comperable to Ryse: Son of Rome when it comes to player involvement. Ok, maybe The Order at least doesn't auto-complete QTEs for you but it's pretty much jumping from one small diorama shooting gallery to another.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I skipped a bit of the LawChat so maybe this was brought up, but the two AM2R mirror links were taken down. People were saying earlier that it looked like a hoax but nope, apparently it's legit

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i think i would go zm > fusion > sm and it sounds like this metroid 2 remake is either before or after zm

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Nate RFB posted:

I'm not super hot on the stealth segments at the end of ZM personally.

That's what I figured. I understand that criticism, seems to be fairly common too. I really enjoy that turn at the end though because it is pretty unique for the series and kinda answers how to make a final boss when you've already got all the souped up super powers, and they answer they came up with was "take them away".

Also the way meta Ridley becomes an unstoppable freak if you get 100% completion is a wonderful touch as well

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Palpek posted:

I'd say The Order 1886 is comperable to Ryse: Son of Rome when it comes to player involvement. Ok, maybe The Order at least doesn't auto-complete QTEs for you but it's pretty much jumping from one small diorama shooting gallery to another.

Yeah, its a perfect comparison. They're both really pretty eye-candy games that are basically tech demos with little gameplay. They both did really poorly at retail and are probably never getting the sequel they wanted.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

oddium posted:

i think i would go zm > fusion > sm and it sounds like this metroid 2 remake is either before or after zm

I love the gameplay of Fusion but it's hard for me to replay if with all the cutscenes and dialogue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

In Training posted:

Locking behind a whole bunch of upgrades until you get the Chozo Suit at the very very end of the game is a big one for me. As is the kinda boring stealth segment.

In Training posted:

kinda answers how to make a final boss when you've already got all the souped up super powers, and they answer they came up with was "take them away".

The don't take them away for the boss though. You get the super-suit before you fight Ridley.

• Locked thread