Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
It is under Trades/Waivers in both android and apple on the MFL platinum app. Totally exactly where I thought it would be...

And now that I look at who is available on waivers, I think smaller taxi squads would be best. 2 or 3 max.

Or none.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The waivers are going to have a lot more players on them after the rookie/free agent draft. Several of us will have to drop players just to get under the cap, now that salaries are higher.

On the other hand, after the preseason games and the teams have cut down to their normal roster sizes, some of those free agents are gonna be garbage, too.

In any case: conceivably with taxi squads, we won't need as deep regular benches? If a few owners are holding players on their benches that they'd normally have on a taxi squad if they could...

Taxi squads are, after all, for the purpose of holding rookies who show some promise but aren't getting much or any play in regular season games this year. There's bound to be a couple hundred of those guys in the NFL, week one.

e. I'm done entering every player's current salary for 2016, plus their draft order for players that were drafted and stayed on teams. In the normal website roster page, you'll see all your current players as 2015, and then either a draft position if you drafted them, a draft position with (T) if you received a drafted player in a trade, or "Free agent" if the player was grabbed off of waivers (even if the player was drafted and subsequently dropped).

I found a couple of errors on 1017 BRICK SQUAD's roster, almost definitely my own errors committed when importing players from my lists/ESPN. Even so, please everyone take a look at your roster and make sure you have the right players at the right costs. The spreadsheets show both the 2015 and the calculated 2016 salaries for all rostered players.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Aug 8, 2016

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
If we cut rosters down and make taxi squads that would be a good alternative I think.

There arent going to be 100 guys worth grabbing, and 12 teams with 3 extra slots each is just 36.

If we cut 3 roster and added 3 taxi: I can name 2 I would taxi, and one to drop conpletely on my team. That barely gets the two on IR back onto my roster and only gives me one slot for a rookie. A lot of people are in this same boat I think with IR guys needing to get on the roster.

I dont know what to do. Someone else post ideas.

Add 6 taxi, cut 1 or 2 roster?

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Our starting lineups aren't set up on the site, right?

It's set to 1 of everything right now.

Should be:
1QB
2RB
2WR
1TE
1Flex
1LB
1DE
1CB/S
1DP

Finally got myself set with Roster moves and IR poo poo that I can actually see the lineup side of it.

Edit: Ah gently caress. Shea McCellin is no longer listed as LB/DE on MFL. Crap, now I have to get bottom of the barrel DE...

Spermy Smurf fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Aug 8, 2016

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
About Taxi Squads: If I want someone, I try to take them. The other person puts them on his full time roster.

They can't just drop them back to the taxi squad the next day, right? They have to have them on the full roster for 7 days or something to stop someone from just playing keep-away with a player?

atomictyler
May 8, 2009
The rules say the rookie/free agent draft should be non-snake the first two rounds, and then snake on round 3+. We traded draft picks on that basis, too. But, I still don't know if MFL actually supports that - which means probably it'll need to be a manual draft. Which I'm OK with. So would you rather:
1.a Manually draft, following the rules as stated
1.b Use MFL's draft software, but switch to 100% snake or 100% assigned draft order
?
(See rules 7.2, 7.8)
I'm not a fan of anything that automatically gives the last place team the first pick. It encourages managers to go all 76er on the league, or just stop managing.

2. Are you OK with the current salary assignments for players drafted in the rookie/free agent draft?
(See rule 7.3)
Maybe a little lower, but I'm ok either way.

3. Should we go ahead and have taxi squads?
(See rules 7.4, 7.5, 8.2.2, 8.4.1, and especially rule 9)
I like this. If we allow people to steal players off them it'll encourage people to stay active.

4. If we have taxi squads, should we create rules for stealing players off of other team's taxi squads?
(See rule 9.5). Basically the way this works is, you can grab a player off another team's taxi squad if you promote them to your regular bench, but they can prevent it by promoting that player to their own bench. If you use this rule, you also need to revise rule 9.1 to say that rookies on a bench can't be moved back to a taxi squad.)
I'm all for the stealing (unless it's off mine).

5. If we have taxi squads, how many slots should they have?
I'm not sure what the typical amount is. whatever the number typically is works for me.

6. Should we change the fees and prize payouts of the league this year? It's currently $25 dues, with prize payouts to first, second, and third places, plus the winner of the consolation bracket.
(See rule 2)
I'd like to see a bit more and the person with the most points for get something. It sure sucked having the most points for and getting dicked over by scheduling.

7. Are you OK with the current scoring?
(See rule 5)
I'm good with it.

8. When should we unlock rosters, permitting players to be dropped? Note that all dropped players become eligible for the free agent/rookie draft.
Drop away, but don't allow people to grab them until we're all set.

9. When should we do the rookie/free agent draft? Please list several dates/times that you would be available, and any specific dates/times you are definitely not available. Please include your time zone.
Any time works. There's unknown dates I won't be available, but I'll just hope they don't clash.

10. How long should we wait to see if Kazak_Hstan is still alive before we replace him?
Try all forms of contact. If nothing we should get someone to replace him soon.

11. Do you want to reorganize the three divisions? If so, what scheme do you propose?
(See rule 3.4.3)
I'm fine with them as is for now. It's too early to know if we need to change them.

12. Any other league rules or procedures you want to change?
Not that I can think of.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

OK well, I guess some folks have started dropping players already. You might have gotten notifications for the roster moves I made for 1017 BRICK SQUAD, but those were due to a previous error I had made when I was importing the team rosters in the first place.

I think it's basically harmless at this point to be dropping players, so go ahead.

Spermy Smurf posted:

About Taxi Squads: If I want someone, I try to take them. The other person puts them on his full time roster.

They can't just drop them back to the taxi squad the next day, right? They have to have them on the full roster for 7 days or something to stop someone from just playing keep-away with a player?

Well. I think what the rule would need to be is that once a player is on a regular roster, he can't ever go back to a taxi squad. Which is not how I wrote the taxi squad rules in our league rules, but that's because I wrote them without a stealing mechanic. I will have to investigate how MFL actually implements taxi squads before we can be sure of how to make them work.

atomictyler posted:

The rules say the rookie/free agent draft should be non-snake the first two rounds, and then snake on round 3+. We traded draft picks on that basis, too. But, I still don't know if MFL actually supports that - which means probably it'll need to be a manual draft. Which I'm OK with. So would you rather:
1.b Use MFL's draft software, but switch to 100% snake or 100% assigned draft order
?
(See rules 7.2, 7.8)
I'm not a fan of anything that automatically gives the last place team the first pick. It encourages managers to go all 76er on the league, or just stop managing.

None of the options I've presented would do that. But, I was wrong: MFL does support a manually-set draft order, which means I can set up the draft according to our existing rules and then we run it using MFL's software, if everyone's OK with that. And since we already had one draft pick traded on that assumption, I think it's probably the fair way to go: we can perhaps revise the rookie/free agent draft format for next year now, if there are feelings that this one isn't the right way to do it.

The MFL drafting support seems very good. I have total control over how long each pick gets, which can be anything from a few seconds to hours or days. I think we probably want to get through the draft in two or three hours, though, which should be fine - unlike the startup draft, we're likely only going to have a handful of rounds before everyone's rosters are full and/or we run out of viable guys anyone wants to draft.

I am totally OK with a slower draft too, though, if you guys have the time.

The only thing I'm not sure of yet is whether MFL supports trading draft picks midway through the draft. The less time we give each team to make their pick, the hairier that gets anyway... it's probably pretty difficult to negotiate a trade up with another team during a 90 second pick time or whatever.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

atomictyler posted:

?
(See rules 7.2, 7.8)

2. Are you OK with the current salary assignments for players drafted in the rookie/free agent draft?
(See rule 7.3)
Maybe a little lower, but I'm ok either way.

I like this. If we allow people to steal players off them it'll encourage people to stay active.

4. If we have taxi squads, should we create rules for stealing players off of other team's taxi squads?
(See rule 9.5). Basically the way this works is, you can grab a player off another team's taxi squad if you promote them to your regular bench, but they can prevent it by promoting that player to their own bench. If you use this rule, you also need to revise rule 9.1 to say that rookies on a bench can't be moved back to a taxi squad.)
I'm all for the stealing (unless it's off mine).

I'm not sure what the typical amount is. whatever the number typically is works for me.

6. Should we change the fees and prize payouts of the league this year? It's currently $25 dues, with prize payouts to first, second, and third places, plus the winner of the consolation bracket.
(See rule 2)
I'd like to see a bit more and the person with the most points for get something. It sure sucked having the most points for and getting dicked over by scheduling.

(See rule 5)
I'm good with it.

8. When should we unlock rosters, permitting players to be dropped? Note that all dropped players become eligible for the free agent/rookie draft.
Drop away, but don't allow people to grab them until we're all set.

9. When should we do the rookie/free agent draft? Please list several dates/times that you would be available, and any specific dates/times you are definitely not available. Please include your time zone.
Any time works. There's unknown dates I won't be available, but I'll just hope they don't clash.

10. How long should we wait to see if Kazak_Hstan is still alive before we replace him?
Try all forms of contact. If nothing we should get someone to replace him soon.

11. Do you want to reorganize the three divisions? If so, what scheme do you propose?
(See rule 3.4.3)
I'm fine with them as is for now. It's too early to know if we need to change them.

Not that I can think of.

This pretty much explains my thoughts. With the taxi squads 2 or 3 seem enough if any imo

Some random things I'm having trouble finding:
- how many players do I need to drop?
- what's the draft order?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

You only "need" to drop enough players to be under the cap. Presumably if you want to draft anyone, having some more cap space is good. I input all the player costs for your roster into MFL, so you can actually see your cap number there and don't have to visit the spreadsheet to find it any more.

I think the plan is to lock rosters again, about a week before the rookie/free agent draft. That will let everyone take some time to identify dropped free agents to target in the draft. Right now I think our draft will probably take place in late August or the first week of September, given the September 8th date of the first regular season game. I'll put together a calendar of people's schedules like I did for the startup draft, to try and identify a specific date/time slot that everyone should be free for.

I haven't selected the draft order yet. We know who will be in the first four, the last five, and the middle three, but not what order within the the first and middle groupings will be yet. (See Rule 4.5.1)

Actually, do you guys think I should go ahead and roll those up now? I'll use an online randomizer to generate a verifiable random order.

e. I think I figured out and fixed the starting linup setup. There's a weird way to specify the slot for "any IDP player."

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Aug 8, 2016

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
This is what my starting lineup screen looks like.

http://imgur.com/tTHjazO

No place for DE and no place for IDP. I don't have any DE's so that may be why they're not showing that option for me right now.

I think we should get a replacement for Kzakwhatever asap. Not a lot of dudes like Dynasty...

Nevhix
Nov 18, 2006

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.
Did rosters lock again? Was going to drop some more dudes but says it can't.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Yes you should release the order

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

OK please check again.
Guys the UI on MFL is terrible, most fields have labels that are pretty cryptic and even if you understand individual fields, what they mean in aggregate is usually unclear. It's got an amazing number of options which is great but the in-UI doc (what we in the business call the UA or User Assistance) is awful.

e. I need to drop one more player before I can clear my IR violation, at which point I can directly test the roster issues myself.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Aug 8, 2016

Nevhix
Nov 18, 2006

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.
Apparently it's a problem with the app. Still won't do it there, but will on the website. Weird. I know it's super flexible but the app and website don't always get along (one of my other leagues uses it too)

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Is there an official app? There's an alarming number of things in the app store.

I'll get around to voting in the posted questions soon, just got back from vacation in the mountains

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
http://www64.myfantasyleague.com/2016/support?L=79286&SEARCH=android

quote:

Answer: Yes! Due to our developer's program, a few third parties have written applications for Android phones and tablets, as well as Kindles.

MFL Platinum 2015 (IOS for free, $1.99 to remove ads) - owners can view live scores, set lineups, post/reply to messages, view standings, read player news for all their leagues and more! The same application is available for the Amazon Kindle, too! This app has already been updated for 2015.
MFL Fantasy Football 2015 (This app has not yet been updated for 2016)
MFL Manager Free is a free Android App. (This app has not yet been updated for 2016)
Fantasy Suite (This app has not yet been updated for 2016)
My Fantasy League Tracker (This app has not yet been updated for 2016)

The trialware one is MFL Fantasy Football 201x

To be completely honest I hate them all. MFL Platinum is the best so far, but not being able to pick who goes into the flex slot is pretty game-breaking for those gametime decisions of "Q" or "P" designations on players.

http://www64.myfantasyleague.com/2016/support?L=79286&SEARCH=apple

quote:

Answer: Yes! Due to our developer's program a few third parties have written iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad based applications:

The free application "MFL Platinum 2016" for the iPhone and iPad is available at http://bit.ly/MFLPlatinum2015 - owners can view live scores, set lineups, post/reply to messages, view standings, and read NFL Player News for all their leagues.
The free application "MFL Mobile 2016" is available at https://appsto.re/us/f3ghM.i - One of the many features it now offers is native iPad support.
The application "MFL Manager 2015 by Rotowire" is available at https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/myfantasyleague-manager-2015/id986417285?mt=8 - owners can manage their teams and get access to premium Rotowire player news on their iPhone and iPad.
The application "Fantasy Suite" for the iPhone and iPad is available at https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/fantasy-suite/id714797204?mt=8, and it has already been updated for the 2014 season. (This app has not yet been updated for 2015)
There is a new-for-2014 application called "Fantasy Game Day" at https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/fantasy-game-day/id926636117?ls=1&mt=8 that gives you push notifications for your fantasy teams. (This app has not yet been updated for 2015)

Keep in mind that these applications are not required for access to your MyFantasyLeague.com league from your iPhone/iPad/iPod. Since these devices have full-featured web browsers, you can use the web browser to view your regular league home page, too, or, you can get access to some league functionality via your Wireless Device League Home Page.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

We have four guys who haven't posted yet since I put up the vote, so I just sent them all email. I also sent another PM to kazak_Hstan.

Swarmin Swedes
Oct 22, 2008
Hey sorry I have been travelling but I am definitely in.

1.b Use MFL's draft software, but switch to 100% snake or 100% assigned draft order?
(See rules 7.2, 7.8)
I would say keep it the way we set out.

(See rule 7.3)
No problems here

I would say no taxi squads we already have pretty big rosters

(See rule 9.5). Basically the way this works is, you can grab a player off another team's taxi squad if you promote them to your regular bench, but they can prevent it by promoting that player to their own bench.
If we have taxi squads I like the stealing aspect

Maybe 3?

(See rule 2)
I would be fine with adjusting the dues upwards (to any reasonable amount) or keeping it the same is fine.

(See rule 5)
Yes

Drop players now.

I am pretty free any time. I can make it work any night after 5 pm

Try and find a replacement

(See rule 3.4.3)
Leave them.

Nope

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Ok cool there's Swarmin Swedes, now we only need to hear from Stevie Lee, kazak_Hstan, and Gyshall.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
I'm honestly fine with whatever.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
RIP bishop sankey and antonio andrews

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Stevie Lee posted:

RIP bishop sankey and antonio andrews

:rip:

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
I was reading on reddit in the Dynasty sub and a lot of people implemented taxi squads the second year just like we're planning.

Then for the third year they just expanded normal rosters instead because Taxi Squads were a huge pain in the rear end. 30 player benches, especially for IDP, is what a lot of people are using.

We have what? 23 slots now?

Maybe jack that to 25 and call it a day?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Certainly an option.

I'm traveling on vacation for the next week. I was hoping we'd hear from at least Gyshall, but this time of year a lot of folks are busy or whatever.

When I get back from vacation I'll have a three week window to get everything running, and that's also when most of the preseason games are playing out, which seems like when people start remembering fantasy football and getting excited about it.

In addition to email I sent another PM to kazak_Hstan, who does have plat. He also last posted July 30th, so he isn't totally gone. :shrug:

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

I have concluded that I don't think I have strong feelings on any of the things up for debate so yolo w/e. I guess don't make rosters much smaller because then I'll have to think about cutting more people and I must hoard my lovely players because what if this is finally the year that they aren't lovely

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

oh yeah - I assume cuts have to be in prior to the draft? so like if you draft up to a full roster your remaining picks are forfeit?

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Bloody posted:

I must hoard my lovely players because what if this is finally the year that they aren't lovely

loving Kyle Rudolph.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Spermy Smurf posted:

loving Kyle Rudolph.

can i interest you in a new tight end I have many of them available

i have many tight ends

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
I just meant he is a guy I cant bear to drop because I have him hyped up n my head.

And your offer is tempting, but I cant do it. Not for a first round pick.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
My tight end died :(

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Can I undo my drops? loving Nink is out like 2 days after I did that.

Chen Kenichi
Jul 20, 2001
I was unaware that suspended guys can go on IR. Is this normal business and I missed it?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

You've always been able to do that, yeah.

You can't re-add guys you dropped, you goof.

Drops do need to be locked before the draft, because drops are eligble to be drafted. However, if you roster is full at some point during the draft, you're not auto-locked out of drafting... because you can trade during the draft. E.g., you could trade away a player for a pick or even two!

...but yeah based on my own team and the number of drops I'm seeing, I doubt we'll go more than maybe four or five rounds of draft, and I expect there to be quite a lot of passing near the end, too.

Hey I keep forgetting I have co-comissioners. Hey co-comissioners! Do something useful: please one of you tally up the votes, and also maybe the other one of you can try putting together a "when should we draft" schedule chart thing? Take a look at the "draft schedule" tab on our spreadsheet, you'll see how I did it last year. Unless anyone's moved, there's everyone's time zones too. Basically you could just copy the sheet, fix the dates, and then we can start figuring out when the draft windows are at.

I'd do all tihs myself and I will have more vacationy spare time next week but this weekend is vacation in chicago.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
1.b Use MFL's draft software, but switch to 100% snake or 100% assigned draft order?
(See rules 7.2, 7.8)

5 Manually draft, following the rules as stated

(See rule 7.3)
2 Yes
1 I would like to see all rounds 2+ to be 12, 8, 4, 2, 2, 2.... respectively instead of what they are currently set at. This is to make our salary cap be more of a factor in the far future. Also adding to this thought is...
2 Maybe a bit lower, but OK either way

3 Yes
2 No

1 No
5 Yes

3 votes for 3
Fewer the better
Whatever is typical

(See rule 2)
3 Bump up dues to fill in for MFL league costs, dont think that is included in the 25$.
Dont care
Most Points for should get something

(See rule 5)
2 Yeah, only thing to do might be knock tackles down from 1.5 to 1.25 to make defensive players worth less. I am against this because my defense is the only good thing about my team.
3 Fine as is

Once we have all players signed up and logged in and actually active in the thread. Or a week before the draft, whichever.
Third preseason game completed
Should lock it for a week before draft day
2 Drop anytime, lock a week before draft

Spermy: Gone with very limited internet access Sept 6th to the 16th. Eastern time, anytime after 5ish is fine with me.
Metapod: Evening\Night CST
Hixalot: Until Sept I'm good for: M-F after 8 pm Pacific Time, weekend evenings after 6 pm Pacific time. After Sept 1st my work schedule will shift dates and I don't know what it will be yet.
Zach: Not sept 4th, after 8pm est anyother day
Tyler: Kind of up in the air late august
Swarmin: After 5pm weekday

Contact him with any and all forms that you have... paypal email differ from signup email? PMs? Then give it a week I guess? He still is owed money, so I have no idea why he would drop off.
3 ASAP
Week 2 of preseason

(See rule 3.4.3)
Same divisions, I want to see the ebb and flow over the course of time.
4 It's fine

3 Nope.
Amend FAAB about dropping and adding a player within 24hrs like Metapod did with Luck
actually, I'd like to propose we change the rule that owners don't have to fill roster spots with "owners must fill all roster spots"

Stevie Lee: Whatever
Zack: Don't care.

Nothing from Leperfish

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Spermy Smurf posted:

3 Nope.
Amend FAAB about dropping and adding a player within 24hrs like Metapod did with Luck
actually, I'd like to propose we change the rule that owners don't have to fill roster spots with "owners must fill all roster spots"

Hold up what did I do?

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

September 2nd or September 3rd work for a draft?

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Metapod posted:

Hold up what did I do?

hosed if I know who did it. You answered something about it, so i thought it was you. Someone dropped Luck, added him back like 20hrs later for less money. All I know is someone said we might want to amend the rules and so I wrote it down.

Edit: Wait, gently caress, that was Chen, not metapod. So let me redo the draft thing.

Double edit: The draft thing doesn't change.

Spermy Smurf fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Aug 12, 2016

The Zack
Jan 1, 2005

Pillbug

Spermy Smurf posted:

September 2nd or September 3rd work for a draft?

Works for me. Any time is good those days, however I prefer evenings to afternoons (eastern).

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
I think we are all old with kids bedtimes at 7:30 or 8EST.

Any evening should work thosr days, or even the day before or before that.

Post your schedules guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
So reddit says to put in a penalty for taxi squads:l, no free grabs:

For example the penalty might be a rookie draft pick of the same round the rookie was drafted + another rookie pick, or a rookie pick + free agent auction dollars. The manager who has the player on taxi would then have the option to accept the draft pick compensation or to move the player from taxi to the main squad. If there is no penalty the you have people just claiming taxi players to deny them to the other guy, which self- defeats the purpose of taxi.

Question:
So what happens if an undrafted guy is poached? Just one draft pick?

And then clarifications:
Then the 2 picks are for the last 2 rounds, in our case it's 5 and 6.

Small sample size, but I have had one say to dump taxi squads and extend roster, one says to do penalties which sort of makes sense.