Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
The weirdest part is how the police shows up and both contestants just go "ok, this was a civil thing we had, and now playtime is over".

He didn't even try to chuck a rock at the police.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

That's how you finally get rid of holed up undies.

Seriously clean the lint trap. Don't bypass the heat fuse.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

I always get paranoid about leaving my house with the dryer running.

The chance of anything happening are so small but I still worry. :ohdear:

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

johnnyratbastard posted:

Hope this isn't a repost, and hope this is OSHA enough, but man fights with excavator? Seems fine right here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z76TVxDfRgM

I fought the claw and the law won.

du -hast
Mar 12, 2003

BEHEAD THOSE WHO INSULT GENTOO

Mierenneuker posted:

I fought the claw and the law won.

Hahah

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
I wanted to put a month in my job before saying anything about it. So I fuel jets. Some stuff I can't discuss, but what I can tell you is how our equipment is in dangerously poor condition. Before that, fueling jets is done both with large fuel tankers and small carts that pump fuel from pipes in the ground. Here's one of the hydrant carts:

That tug that pulls it? Brakes don't work. What do I mean the brakes don't work? Holding the brakes from a full stop and switching into a gear (even reverse) I will start moving. The brakes can't even keep the tug from moving at a full stop, let alone stopping while moving. Equipment in less than perfect condition is expected anywhere but keep in mind I spend all day positioning within 1 ft. of multi-million dollar jetliners. Rule #1 is don't hit no loving jet. And the brakes don't work.

We have an electric tug as well but the headlights don't work, so when the sun goes down I feel a lot safer driving with no brakes and working headlights. The AOA (airfield, tarmac) can be a bit chaotic and it's very important that people can see you at night. The service road area between the runways and the airplane gates is intentionally unlit so pilots can clearly see wingmen (guys with the glowly sticks) guiding them in. You really don't wanna drive around with no headlights on the service road at night. Also one of our fuel tankers has leaky brakes so if you don't rev up the engine in neutral until air pressure builds the tanker wont be able to stop. Even if you leave the tanker off for 15 minutes it's enough to drop below safe levels, the brakes leak that fast. Just a tanker full of jet fuel though no big deal if the brakes leak horribly. :shrug:

I could go on but this post is getting a bit long so maybe more later.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I have to ask the obvious question: Why no brakes?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

oohhboy posted:

I have to ask the obvious question: Why no brakes?

Brakes broke, so what.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
More about dangerous jet fuel, please.

I fly a fair bit, next flight in about a week, and I like to sit and watch the workers outside while waiting to board. Stories of wildly unsafe equipment and practices at airports will make that boring time more exciting! I can imagine all the horrible, horrible things happening right in front of me but hidden. Instead of being afraid in the air (I'm not, normally, anyway) I can be afraid of burning to death as I board the airplane.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
heavy truck brakes are usually designed to apply when the air pressure drops. You sure that's what's going on? Or is it some type of airport safety design that trucks have a brakes-off resting state.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Deteriorata posted:

Amazon faces $350K fine for shipping dangerous goods

"Amazing Liquid Fire" is 98% sulfuric acid with a bit of detergent mixed in. I don't know what all the fuss is about.

Here's the MSDS. It includes this nifty NFPA label:

This is from a while back but did someone create that MSDS is mspaint? Lol

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Elsa posted:

heavy truck brakes are usually designed to apply when the air pressure drops. You sure that's what's going on? Or is it some type of airport safety design that trucks have a brakes-off resting state.

Only the parking/emergency brakes are the active-without-pressure kind. Service brakes (i.e., the normal ones controlled by the brake pedal) need air pressure to work.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

Zopotantor posted:

Only the parking/emergency brakes are the active-without-pressure kind. Service brakes (i.e., the normal ones controlled by the brake pedal) need air pressure to work.

I guess I don't understand how you could have low air pressure and a lack of brakes at the same time. I've never run into that situation.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Elsa posted:

I guess I don't understand how you could have low air pressure and a lack of brakes at the same time. I've never run into that situation.

I remember a few train stories where the train driver let off the brakes, and was then unable to re-apply them because the air pressure in the braking system hadn't built back up yet.

I always thought that it was a poorly designed system, and it seems like train designers agreed with me because more modern trains have two air lines, one for actually triggering the brakes and a second line that's always pressurized to keep the brakes charged.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
It's also been nearly ten years since I worked as a heavy equipment mechanic.

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

Mithaldu posted:

The weirdest part is how the police shows up and both contestants just go "ok, this was a civil thing we had, and now playtime is over".

He didn't even try to chuck a rock at the police.

Finnish police officers generally don't carry guns, but chucking rocks at them is a pretty sure-fire way to get tazed. David probably figured things can only get worse if he doesn't go with them.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

Finnish police officers generally don't carry guns, but chucking rocks at them is a pretty sure-fire way to get tazed. David probably figured things can only get worse if he doesn't go with them.

They all carry pistols all the time but since we aren't loving insane their default action is not to shoot at the person but try talking and less-than-lethal first. They do have helmets and extra vests and assault rifles and poo poo with them but they usually stay in the car.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Der Kyhe posted:

They all carry pistols all the time but since we aren't loving insane their default action is not to shoot at the person but try talking and less-than-lethal first. They do have helmets and extra vests and assault rifles and poo poo with them but they usually stay in the car.
I'm guessing it's more likely that Finnish police just have fewer opportunities to show their racism. The same claims are made about Canadian police officers right up until you look into how they treat natives, and oh look they shoot them for no reason all the time.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Terrible Opinions posted:

I'm guessing it's more likely that Finnish police just have fewer opportunities to show their racism. The same claims are made about Canadian police officers right up until you look into how they treat natives, and oh look they shoot them for no reason all the time.

Well, we do have natives, they do not shoot them either. The Finnish police (the entire force, that is) uses their firearms like less than ten times per year on the field against human targets. They do have to kill a number of game hit by the cars and such.

Edit: we have roughly the same size population than Maryland or Colorado.

Der Kyhe fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Aug 8, 2016

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

The main difference is that the average finn is much less likely to carry a gun, so the finnish police can be a lot more relaxed.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Mithaldu posted:

The main difference is that the average finn is much less likely to carry a gun, so the finnish police can be a lot more relaxed.

Interestingly, the amount of guns per person is in the ballbark with the USA. However, we have absolutely insane open carry/ownership laws, and concealed carry is more or less completely forbidden. The guns are usually for hunting and/or precision shooting; self-defence purposes are very special cases only (so that they are technicality that really does not exist) and any violent crime* leads immediatly to the confiscation of every firearm. Also, since concealed carry is not allowed, the pistols are none-existant, as are all full-auto weapons since you really do not need that for hunting.

Edit: *including things like domestic abuse, animal abuse, resisting arrest, minor assault etc.

Der Kyhe fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Aug 8, 2016

kicktd
Jul 6, 2007

The trouble with weather forecasting is that it's right too often for us to ignore it and wrong too often for us to rely on it.

Zopotantor posted:

Pretty much this. When I was a volunteer firefighter and was getting trained to drive the smaller of our 2 engines, you had to sit in the station for about 15 - 30 seconds while the air pressure built up because if you didn't you wouldn't have no brakes which you need to do the tight turn out of the station unless you wanted to jump the train tracks and wreck the engine :shrug:.

OSHA related (really NFPA) who needs seat belts while riding in the fire truck to a call! Even though we were suppose to sit and wait to get everything on when we got to the call we tended to complete dressing up and gearing up riding in the back. Let me tell ya trying to get all your bunker gear on and double checked going down the road at 40+ and taking turns is quite the adventure. Oh let's not forget forgetting to close the equipment bay doors on the truck and rolling out of the station tearing the door off, or letting one of the fire engines idle in the bay in front of our SCBA tank filler station (compressed air) while filling empty SCBA bottles, mmmm diesel fumes! Having someone stripping the wax from the bay floors and not telling anyone else that's what you're doing creating the worlds best slip and slide except it's all hard concrete. Not properly securing heavy equipment in the equipment bays on the fire truck leaving it to fall out on someones head when they open the door. That's about 1 weeks worth right there, good times! I felt safer in a burning building than around the fire station.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I have a few OSHA stories that are lame and sad.

I'm doing survival work pushing carts to supplement SSDI. We're supposed to do no more than 10 carts at a time, with our electric cart pushing up to 20 carts at a time. Except the store where I work doesn't have the training materials for the electric cart pusher or anyone qualified to train people how to operate and maintain it. So all the cart pushers just have to accept we'll be pushing more than 10 carts at a time and that all the managers will be okay with that.

Saturday it got to the point where I had to keep pushing more than 20 carts at a time to keep up. At closing I wound up struggling to get 42 carts at once out of the lot and into cart overflow. I figured I'd wind up having to clock out out late if I tried to do it in two or three batches. I still clocked out late but not late enough to get in trouble. Today I reached out to the company that makes the electric cart pusher so I could order the DVD myself out of pocket.

I've also been swarmed by dogs doing a perimeter check in unlit sections of the parking lot (bring your own flashlight), made unauthorized repairs with zip ties so a broken cart corral could be safer and functional (It'd been broke for a while), and had a guy stop his car under a foot away from my knee. I was getting a cart from a parking spot in the daytime wearing a visibility vest. There were dozens of spots to choose from, many of those spots were closer to the store. But he decided to just drive into the space I was in. And he just stared right at me, like I was nothing. No apology or anything.

All the old cart pushers left at the same time which makes me wonder if they quit because of conditions or if they were fired around the same time they'd qualify for a raise. Either way I've started on an exit plan.

Rotacixe
Oct 21, 2008

Der Kyhe posted:

Interestingly, the amount of guns per person is in the ballbark with the USA. However, we have absolutely insane open carry/ownership laws, and concealed carry is more or less completely forbidden. The guns are usually for hunting and/or precision shooting; self-defence purposes are very special cases only (so that they are technicality that really does not exist) and any violent crime* leads immediatly to the confiscation of every firearm. Also, since concealed carry is not allowed, the pistols are none-existant, as are all full-auto weapons since you really do not need that for hunting.

Edit: *including things like domestic abuse, animal abuse, resisting arrest, minor assault etc.

You just have to be rich enough to afford a bodyguard. Then you can vicariously concealed carry.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Der Kyhe posted:

Also, since concealed carry is not allowed, the pistols are none-existant, as are all full-auto weapons since you really do not need that for hunting.

Full‐auto weapons are rare in the U.S. as well. They’re collector’s items.

Now semi‐auto guns: those are everywhere. Maybe that’s not the case in Finland since it’s similarly unnecessary for hunting.

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT

Zopotantor posted:

On trucks there is no difference. They run off the same air supply, and are the same brake pads. If the system loses main pressure for whatever reason then the brakes apply automatically, via a massive spring in the actuator. You need system pressure to release them.

Jabor posted:

I remember a few train stories where the train driver let off the brakes, and was then unable to re-apply them because the air pressure in the braking system hadn't built back up yet.

I always thought that it was a poorly designed system, and it seems like train designers agreed with me because more modern trains have two air lines, one for actually triggering the brakes and a second line that's always pressurized to keep the brakes charged.

That's not how they work. One line is a supply line, which charges a tank mounted to each car. The other is a signal line, which opens a valve, allowing air to flow from the tank to the brake actuators. The tanks hold enough air for several applications should e.g. the compressor fail. The spring activated part of the brakes is held open by the pressure in the tank. Lose tank pressure, and the brakes automatically engage.

kicktd posted:

Pretty much this. When I was a volunteer firefighter and was getting trained to drive the smaller of our 2 engines, you had to sit in the station for about 15 - 30 seconds while the air pressure built up because if you didn't you wouldn't have no brakes which you need to do the tight turn out of the station unless you wanted to jump the train tracks and wreck the engine :shrug:.

Again, you needed to wait because you need at least 60psi in the tank to disengage the park brake and be able to move at all.

Tenbux McGee
Jun 23, 2005
I had :tenbux:

Blog Free or Die posted:

On the plus side, it led to the creation of this website.

OSHA.city

Given the DENY EVERYTHING WE ARE INFALLIBLE nature of Russia and China, I could easily see that site being serious were it not for the mention of seeing Sarah Palin above the horizon.
Hell, the real site for Norilsk has depictions of pristine green forests, friendly polar bears, and the planting of community gardens. I hope those gardens were just The Party playing dress up for the cameras, because anybody that actually eats what comes out of the ground there is going to be stone dead.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Shady Amish Terror posted:

...seriously though who picks a fight with an excavator

Killdozer could.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Shady Amish Terror posted:

...seriously though who picks a fight with an excavator

a fuckin mans man.

:killdozer:

quote:

The machine used in the incident was a Komatsu D355A bulldozer fitted with makeshift armor plating covering the cabin, engine and parts of the tracks. In places this armor was over 1 foot (30 cm) thick, consisting of 5000-psi Quikrete concrete mix sandwiched between sheets of tool steel (acquired from an automotive dealer in Denver), to make ad-hoc composite armor. This made the machine impervious to small arms fire and resistant to explosives: indeed three external explosions and more than 200 rounds of ammunition fired at the bulldozer had no effect on it.

wikipedia thingy

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Platystemon posted:

Full‐auto weapons are rare in the U.S. as well. They’re collector’s items.

Now semi‐auto guns: those are everywhere. Maybe that’s not the case in Finland since it’s similarly unnecessary for hunting.

Well, factory-made full autos are rare. Building a submachine gun is very cheap and easy using common hardware store parts, and semi-auto guns can often be converted to full auto in dangerous and unreliable manners if you feel the need to get one.

That said, the vast majority of gun crimes in the US are committed with very inexpensive, low-power handguns in calibers like .22 rimfire, .25 ACP, .32 ACP, or .38 Special. Glocks may have a reputation among gangster rappers, but statistically you'd be more likely to see them using a Jennings or Hi-Point 9mm made of pot metal at the most. More likely a Rohm .22 revolver they bought in a dude's basement for $50 to make a hit or use in a stickup before throwing away. poo poo like AR-15s and AKs are basically never used except for the most daring crimes (like the North Hollywood bank robbery in the 90s) or serious gang and cartel warfare. Most of this has to do with:

A) Cost
B) Concealment

For longarms, you're more likely to see a guy spend his $75 on a used single shot or double-barreled shotgun and saw off the barrel(s).

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Der Kyhe posted:

Interestingly, the amount of guns per person is in the ballbark with the USA

I figured this had to be wrong and

quote:

GUNS PER 100 RESIDENTS
United States 112.6
Finland 27.5

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Estimated_number_of_guns_per_capita_by_country

(USA is #1 worldwide with roughly 50% more guns per capita than the second-place country, Serbia)

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Aug 8, 2016

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Clearly that means the USA should top A Serbian Movie, with An American Series.

I also like that the usa is the only country with more guns per capita than well, capita.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Sagebrush posted:

I figured this had to be wrong and

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Estimated_number_of_guns_per_capita_by_country

(USA is #1 worldwide with roughly 50% more guns per capita than the second-place country, Serbia)
Thank you for posting this. I probably could have found it if I'd ever overcome the :effort: but I'm glad you put that up.

People I know sometimes insist we have as many guns (sometimes they include "per capita") here in :canada: as you do in the USA.

How do they count guns in the USA? Other countries have registries, but my impression of the NRA is that they'd never let a government database of gun ownership happen.
Has anyone taken the fairly obvious step of using the NRA's membership registry?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

ExecuDork posted:

Thank you for posting this. I probably could have found it if I'd ever overcome the :effort: but I'm glad you put that up.

People I know sometimes insist we have as many guns (sometimes they include "per capita") here in :canada: as you do in the USA.

How do they count guns in the USA? Other countries have registries, but my impression of the NRA is that they'd never let a government database of gun ownership happen.
Has anyone taken the fairly obvious step of using the NRA's membership registry?

lot of gun owners think the NRA is rather irresponsible on guns as shocking as that may seem to some.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

SneakyFrog posted:

lot of gun owners think the NRA is rather irresponsible on guns as shocking as that may seem to some.

Yeah but they don’t do anything about it.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

ExecuDork posted:

1: Other countries have registries, but that doesn't tell you how many guns there are in those countries, because people frequently own guns illegally and hence will not show up on the registries. Also, "registration systems can be quirky, without automatic renewal, for example, leading certain weapons
to disappear from public records. In some countries registration totals include other weapons, such as air guns in England and Wales, or swords in France (Cornevin, 2010). In many countries registration is not systematically respected (Gould and Lamb, 2004). Even in countries with sophisticated registration systems, older guns and privately traded weapons often escape registration. Craft guns, illegally manufactured, usually are unrecorded, although they appear to be common in several countries (Berman, 2011)."

2: That's not an obvious step, because lots of gun owners dislike the NRA, and even if you count the number of NRA members, that just tells you a number of people who probably own guns, not how many guns they have. (

3: The Small Arms Survey out of Geneva counts guns. Or at least tries to systematically estimate the number of them in civilian hands, legally or otherwise. As an example of the disparity, there were 2.8 million registered firearms in France in 2003. Their estimate for the number of unregistered firearms was 15 million.

http://www.smallarmssurvey.org/fileadmin/docs/H-Research_Notes/SAS-Research-Note-9.pdf
http://www.smallarmssurvey.org/fileadmin/docs/A-Yearbook/2003/en/Small-Arms-Survey-2003-Chapter-02-EN.pdf

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Aug 9, 2016

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

kicktd posted:

OSHA related (really NFPA) who needs seat belts while riding in the fire truck to a call! Even though we were suppose to sit and wait to get everything on when we got to the call we tended to complete dressing up and gearing up riding in the back. Let me tell ya trying to get all your bunker gear on and double checked going down the road at 40+ and taking turns is quite the adventure. Oh let's not forget forgetting to close the equipment bay doors on the truck and rolling out of the station tearing the door off, or letting one of the fire engines idle in the bay in front of our SCBA tank filler station (compressed air) while filling empty SCBA bottles, mmmm diesel fumes! Having someone stripping the wax from the bay floors and not telling anyone else that's what you're doing creating the worlds best slip and slide except it's all hard concrete. Not properly securing heavy equipment in the equipment bays on the fire truck leaving it to fall out on someones head when they open the door. That's about 1 weeks worth right there, good times! I felt safer in a burning building than around the fire station.

One time I saw an EMT take a corner super hard and as he did so, one of the exterior gear bays flew open and a HUGE black bag landed in the middle of the road.

Couple minutes later some guy comes bolting down the street to get it.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

ExecuDork posted:

IIRC generally the usual phone polls have continued to indicate something like a 52% ownership rate nationwide, going by whatever magic they use to apply the responses of a few thousand people to the national average. (And of course that's also subject to people lying because why would you tell some random person on the phone you own guns? It could be somebody looking for burglary targets.)

The ATF and FBI publish the numbers for the instant background check system. Of course it only covers background checks and doesn't differentiate between somebody buying a gun, somebody buying multiple guns, or somebody giving somebody else a couple guns as a gift or whatever.
https://www.fbi.gov/file-repository/nics_firearm_checks_-_month_year.pdf

Likewise the ATF also issues a "Firearms Commerce Report" tracking production and import/export numbers and other things.
https://www.atf.gov/resource-center/docs/2016-firearms-commerce-united-states/download

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

is there a godwin's law but for guns