Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

DatonKallandor posted:

It's more accurate to say that poise above 0 activates hyper armor but in itself, regardless of how high or low it is beyond the binary "is it 0 or >0" check, does nothing. The poise stat does not do what it says in the game.

Testing would seem to say otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

gently caress that poo poo. Poise is established as a mechanic. I bet they release it in the 'get ready for the dlc' patch they always have.

I mean...it will get me back into playing. But come on. Admit you hosed up.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Bombadilillo posted:

gently caress that poo poo. Poise is established as a mechanic. I bet they release it in the 'get ready for the dlc' patch they always have.

It's in two out of the five games and works differently in each of those two games. So, no, it's not really an established mechanic.

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Rx Suicide emailed me and all I got was this amazingly awesome forum account.

Tortured By Flan
Had a lot of fun running through this game. Close to ending my second run on stream, been going with a Pyro build and all set for the "secret" ending in the next few days.

Magics never really clicked with me in most games, I just prefer to swing around weapons a bunch. And honestly, I've been doing that about as much as I've been throwing out fire orbs. It wasn't really until I got the black fire orb and chaos orb that I could dedicate having two magic refill flasks on hand, and sadly that wasn't until the later chunk of the game. Very few of the other kind of fire spells seem appealing, and it's sometimes hard to justify taking the time to throw an orb over taking a quick swing or two and dodging off to safety. That's what the first maybe half of the game felt like to me. But once I got that black fire orb and some more int/faith stat, things shifted. Chaos orb can be pretty drat amazing[Boss Fight in link] too if you're on a boss that won't move so much, which there are quite a few of those. Once the damage from the orbs became real, it was all I wanted to do was find a gap in between blows long enough to launch one. Satisfying.

Overall, although I'm not quite done with the run yet, the build is essentially done and I'm not so impressed by the magic options. Sorcery/Miracles are kinda nice but really don't seem all that neat to build for. It doesn't help that I'm so into the the sword stuff, but it also just doesn't seem as powerful or appealing as it looked to be in titles past. Maybe we'll see something in the DLCs.

I'll be taking a break after this go, but I want to give greatswords a shot the next time around. I was hoping to get a full Black Knight Armor suit/greatsword somewhere, but not sure where the earliest to farm for that would be.

Lothire fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Aug 8, 2016

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Genocyber posted:

It's in two out of the five games and works differently in each of those two games. So, no, it's not really an established mechanic.

Dark Souls 2 also had poise, which also worked differently.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

skasion posted:

Dark Souls 2 also had poise, which also worked differently correctly.

There, fixed.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Lothire posted:

Had a lot of fun running through this game. Close to ending my second run on stream, been going with a Pyro build and all set for the "secret" ending in the next few days.

Magics never really clicked with me in most games, I just prefer to swing around weapons a bunch. And honestly, I've been doing that about as much as I've been throwing out fire orbs. It wasn't really until I got the black fire orb and chaos orb that I could dedicate having two magic refill flasks on hand, and sadly that wasn't until the later chunk of the game. Very few of the other kind of fire spells seem appealing, and it's sometimes hard to justify taking the time to throw an orb over taking a quick swing or two and dodging off to safety. That's what the first maybe half of the game felt like to me. But once I got that black fire orb and some more int/faith stat, things shifted. Chaos orb can be pretty drat amazing[Boss Fight in link] too if you're on a boss that won't move so much, which there are quite a few of those. Once the damage from the orbs became real, it was all I wanted to do was find a gap in between blows long enough to launch one. Satisfying.

Overall, although I'm not quite done with the run yet, the build is essentially done and I'm not so impressed by the magic options. Sorcery/Miracles are kinda nice but really don't seem all that neat to build for. It doesn't help that I'm so into the the sword stuff, but it also just doesn't seem as powerful or appealing as it looked to be in titles past. Maybe we'll see something in the DLCs.

I'll be taking a break after this go, but I want to give greatswords a shot the next time around. I was hoping to get a full Black Knight Armor suit/greatsword somewhere, but not sure where the earliest to farm for that would be.

The earliest was back at the Black Knight in Road of Sacrifices. If you came from Abyss Watchers, the only thing between you and it was some grue turned away from you.

The best is probably Untended Graves.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Nothing in that actually proves it`s poise doing that. A variety of stats are changing between each data point (such as absorption, slots being not empty, certain armor pieces being equipped). And it's also not doing what the says poise is supposed to do.

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009
The way poise works in DS3 is pretty dumb and weird but it's there:

https://www.reddit.com/r/darksouls3/comments/4vnan9/how_poise_works/

The poise stat you get from armor/rings/etc. decreases the poise damage that you take. Poise damage affects an invisible counter that, when it hits zero, interrupts attacks that have hyperarmor.
The counter resets every thirty seconds -- it does not slowly regenerate. The counter can be rolled over while you're not in a hyperarmor state (ie you take poise damage, get reduced below zero, get reset to 100 poise).
Also, different attacks have different (seemingly arbitrary) modifiers to your poise value, thus increasing or decreasing the amount of poise damage you need to take to have your stance broken.
This means that it's difficult to impossible to judge when your poise will be broken.

But yeah, the stat is in there and it works.

It explains why the game felt different when I played my Curved Greatsword build with more poise.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
Overly complicating poise sure paid off, it worked so well most people couldn't even tell it was working!

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Being able to finish your swing of a huge weapon one out of five attempts, what an amazing mechanic.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Boy dark souls players sure are big whingy babies

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009

lets hang out posted:

Boy dark souls players sure are big whingy babies

Yes, but the way Poise works in DS3 is pretty stupid.

It really needed a bar or something.

DS1 and DS2 Poise were bad too, just in different, less obscure ways.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

I still think it has a purpose past hyper armor. I always had a ton of it and won a lot of duels I shouldn't have.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
It's amazing how Souls series ended up as big as it is despite still not including very basic information on manuals like how the gently caress stat scaling or stats in general work.

Truly a product of the internet age

Though in Dks3 this reached profound levels of stupid

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Aug 8, 2016

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

I LIKE TO SMOKE WEE posted:

I still think it has a purpose past hyper armor. I always had a ton of it and won a lot of duels I shouldn't have.

Would it shock you to learn this game also does not have the best netcode?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Poise doesn't need an on screen meter, the hud is already busy enough without another thing popping up every single time you take a hit. That would get old really fast. I still don't see what was actually wrong with the system from the original Dark Souls that they needed to change it to its comparatively opaque iteration in Dark Souls 2, and the really ridiculously obscure development of that that was the DS3 system. Like, was anyone really that bothered that people were wearing the ugly rear end hollow pants just so that they could stand up to a poke in the eye with a sharp stick?

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
The stupid irony is that it shouldn't need an onscreen meter, but without an onscreen meter no one was positive what the hell was going on with it.

Also if it did have a meter more people would be complaining because the meter takes 30 seconds to refill even in instances where it did nothing.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I LIKE TO SMOKE WEE posted:

That's just your gud stat.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I may feel stupid but, why don't we just embrace the new system and keep going? I mean, there are three Dark Souls games and all three play different from each other. More so if you add Demon's Souls and Bloodborne to the mix.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

It's kind of hard to tell what one is embracing. Case in point this entire page full of people having no real idea how poo poo actually works and posting video games conspiracy theory YouTube videos about it in lieu of any actual information from the people who made the drat game

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
It's fine if they change systems around, change is great. If it works completely and utterly differently from how it did before and still features front and center as a stat and in many item descriptions, maybe not continue to call it "Poise", though. I think every confusion is completely justified, especially the "well it doesn't seem to work at all, eh?" part.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Yeah of course I understand the complaints. My point is that they've released 5 soulsborne games and they seem to change things around with no direction of progression compared to other games. Instead of an A and B team, FROM looks like they just used 5 different teams for each game. I love DS3 but after four different characters (and builds) I feel like SOTFS is more of a finished product until they release the DLC for 3 (and maybe do another scholar remake).

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
I still don't think you can call that "poise" because it's not doing what the game says poise is supposed to do, and it's not doing what the past games poise did either. We now simply know how DS3 hyperarmor works - they tied it into the poise stat. Good to know and I guess step 1 in "how to balance hyper armor" (even though that system would be far more useful in Bloodborne when you can gain health back after you hyper armor through attacks), but poise still doesn't actually do poise as described by the game itself (or past iteration of poise).

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Poise is working as intended.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Guillermus posted:

I may feel stupid but, why don't we just embrace the new system and keep going?

Because the new system is garbo

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

mango sentinel posted:

Being able to finish your swing of a huge weapon one out of five attempts, what an amazing mechanic.

I never had problems with my greataxe. I could ALWAYS finish a swing with it. And once I hit them once I could always combo them and hit them again, normally getting off about 2/3rds of a player's life.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

When Dark Souls 4 comes out they're going to have Resistance, Poise, Good Poise and Agility as main stats.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

When Dark Souls 4 comes out they're going to have Resistance, Poise, Good Poise and Agility as main stats.

Also Good Poise is the bad Poise

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

so when't the first bit of dlc out? figure it must be soon

RBA Starblade posted:

ok but only if they keep luck and make it exactly like it was in demon's souls

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

Manatee Cannon posted:

ok but only if they keep luck and make it exactly like it was in demon's souls

High luck? Good chance of getting items! So good a chance that you're LESS LIKELY to get the good items! Because if someone drops trash and good items, the trash cancels out the good! So good luck is bad luck!

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"
Poise is functionally pretty much just like DS2 but on the other hand the backend is very different which to me seems worth having a breakdown over.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt

Manatee Cannon posted:

so when't the first bit of dlc out? figure it must be soon

In Fall was the first, last, and only real bit of info I've ever heard for the first DLC.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

redreader posted:

High luck? Good chance of getting items! So good a chance that you're LESS LIKELY to get the good items! Because if someone drops trash and good items, the trash cancels out the good! So good luck is bad luck!

Did items not roll independently in DeS?

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

lite_sleepr posted:

That great sword with both Lorian and Lothrics fused sword is good?

lite_sleepr posted:

PLease elaborate both how the Super Lothric Brothers sword is good.

lite_sleepr posted:

Do you mean any ugs with a fire infusion?

lite_sleepr posted:

Dark Souls Parappa the Rapper. What does this mean?

lite_sleepr posted:

We know who the firekeeper is, why did you feel the need to point out that she's a girl?

This is gamefaqs-tier posting from an 03. Did you inherit your account from your granddad or something? Why are you so gay?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
I seem to have glitched out the second Aldrich abomination somehow. I checked and I only have the Sapphire, ran through Anor Londo's cathedral a bunch and it never showed up. Not a huge loss, but I'm wondering if that ever happened to anyone else. Maybe I beelined to quick to the door control and it never drops if the doors are already open, or something?

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

Ilustforponydeath posted:

This is gamefaqs-tier posting from an 03. Did you inherit your account from your granddad or something? Why are you so gay?

I usually post from a phone. I used phrases like super Lothric brothers because the poster I quoted used it, and it seemed cute and appropriate.

Please, can I got a copy of your posting on SA manual for smart tryhards? gently caress off and don't shitpost about it if you don't like it :shrug:

I'm so gay because two dicks are better than one, stupid.

lite_sleepr fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Aug 10, 2016

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Frankly I'm glad he's managed to stave off dementia this long

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Not a good post, bro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Simply Simon posted:

I seem to have glitched out the second Aldrich abomination somehow. I checked and I only have the Sapphire, ran through Anor Londo's cathedral a bunch and it never showed up. Not a huge loss, but I'm wondering if that ever happened to anyone else. Maybe I beelined to quick to the door control and it never drops if the doors are already open, or something?

If you go to the very top of the stairs and look up is he hanging from the ceiling? If not he might have glitched out. I'm assuming you've left and come back to reload the area?