Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
karlor
Apr 15, 2014

:911::ussr::911::ussr:
:ussr::911::ussr::911:
:911::ussr::911::ussr:
:ussr::911::ussr::911:
College Slice

haveblue posted:

How can elections be real if our polls aren't real?

elections, what a concept

elections, how do they work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

karlor posted:

elections, what a concept

(alternatively: elections, how do they work?)

What are elections? We just don't know.

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May

theblackw0lf posted:

What are elections? We just don't know.

I think we need to stop having elections until we can figure out what the hell is going on!

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
What if Trump is calling the election rigged... because the communists are planning a massive hack attack on e-day?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

karlor posted:

elections, how do they work?

2 parties enter, 1 candidate leaves

Complaint Compilation
Apr 8, 2016

:sax:

Petr posted:

https://twitter.com/mitchellvii/status/762497721831874561

gently caress, I think this guy might have a point :derp:

Imagine the fuel gauge doesn't exist. Show me any evidence we're going to need gas.

FilthIncarnate
Aug 13, 2007

Weird owl has life all figured out

Kilroy posted:

I guess I agree, but it didn't seem like "really interesting plot" was supposed to be the selling point. As long as it holds its own enough not to distract from the few scenes in the movie designed to deliver emotional bodyblows to the viewer, the plot has basically done its job.

That was my take, anyway, although reading some reviews now it seems I'm in the minority.

I know I'm late to this, but the screenplay (which you can buy) is a work of art; it's director Ridley Scott's execution of the film that ruins it.

In my opinion, anyway; maybe I'm just disappointed that all of the carefully plotted scenes and dialogue I liked in the screenplay were cut from the actual film.

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

My Imaginary GF posted:

2 parties enter, 1 candidate leaves

Pretty confident abuela could take Drumpf. His hands are too small to grip properly, see.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
538.com just updated its Nowcast.

This almost certainly won't actually happen, but it's still fun to imagine

Dirt
May 26, 2003

I'm aware. Hence why I can't wait to move far away from here :)

Michigan will go Clinton, but will never not go Republican in local/state stuff. It's the worst.

edit:
https://twitter.com/NateSilver538/status/762649765687365633

:lol:

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Where's a good place To go to see if Trump has said or done anything that should sink a normal candidate in the past hour or so?

Also, 538 is now saying GA and AZ is leaning Clinton.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

DaveWoo posted:

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

BigRed0427 posted:

Where's a good place To go to see if Trump has said or done anything that should sink a normal candidate in the past hour or so?

Also, 538 is now saying GA and AZ is leaning Clinton.

https://twitter.com/esembrat/lists/tiny-hands-feelers

twitter list made by one of the GOP thread posters with a bunch of journalists and GOP twitter heads

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

BigRed0427 posted:

Check his Twitter account.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Forecasts are now at the point where Trump having any odds at all has less to do with his performance, and more to do with the theoretical principle that the race could shift.

It's not so much "He's doing well with a particular core and that gives him a 15% chance". It's more "Well, there's 91 days left and hypothetically Hillary might eat a baby on national TV in that time."

Ages
Feb 20, 2005

Its just half the puffin juice and the puffin lives and doesnt mind. I promise!
Fun Shoe

DaveWoo posted:

This is madness, and I love it.

God bless election years.

Polls-Plus is creeping closer to an 80% chance of a Hillary win, too.

Crows Turn Off posted:

Check his Twitter account.

His economic speech in Detroit was apparently a protestor-fueled circus, so hopefully we will get some prime Trump today.

Ages fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Aug 8, 2016

Fabulous Knight
Nov 11, 2011
The "Who would win today" tracker is extremely pleasant to look at, but it is really just a reflection of who would probably win right here, right now, based on these numerous double digit leads Abuela constantly has. Polls only tracker is a bit more reliable, and yet I believe Polls plus is actually Silver's "main" model. That's the one I rely on the most, even if AZ and GA are nowhere close to flipping on that one and so the model is not as exciting. Clinton still has a 78% shot right now even in this model and Obama never had such a chance in 2012 this early.

It's probably been brought up here before, but Clinton had a 7.0% lead on RCP's Poll Average before the Monmouth poll came out. Obama never had that kind of lead over Romney and had one once over McCain.

Fabulous Knight fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Aug 8, 2016

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Supercar Gautier posted:

Forecasts are now at the point where Trump having any odds at all has less to do with his performance, and more to do with the theoretical principle that the race could shift.

It's not so much "He's doing well with a particular core and that gives him a 15% chance". It's more "Well, there's 91 days left and hypothetically Hillary might eat a baby on national TV in that time."

Yep.

Today has been a further sinking in the polls when you would expect, in a normal campaign, to see them tightening back up again after any convention-related bumps fade

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

haveblue posted:

How can elections be real if our polls aren't real?
That sounds like something Jaden Smith would say.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

DaveWoo posted:

It's encouraging me to vote. I never thought that there would even be a chance of SC going blue.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Casimir Radon posted:

:thejoke:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ice Phisherman posted:

It's encouraging me to vote. I never thought that there would even be a chance of SC going blue.

Before you get too hype, these are based solely on modelling, there hasn't been any polling done in SC this year.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Casimir Radon posted:

are you a political cartoonist

Xarthor
Nov 11, 2003

Need Ink or Toner for
Your Printer?

Check out my
Thread in SA-Mart!

Lipstick Apathy
I listened to (most of) Trump's speech today and what struck me about it aside from the actual content, was how boring and gutless he sounded. I think he's put himself in a real pickle because what has won Trump so much support amongst his fan base is exactly the "gently caress YOU I'M THE DONALD AND I TELL IT LIKE IT IS...LOUDLY!" theatrics. This more toned-down, responsible Trump may appeal to some theoretical moderates and undecided voters but I could easily see his hardcore fans getting angry that he's given in to the "establishment" types who have begged him to be less brash. Granted, it's not like those voters will turn around and vote for Clinton but I could see them staying home and just not voting. So he may pick up a few undecided votes but lose some base votes.

Like I said, I think he's in pickle.

CarterUSM
Mar 17, 2004
Cornfield aviator

Fabulous Knight posted:

The "Who would win today" tracker is extremely pleasant to look at, but it is really just a reflection of who would probably win right here, right now, based on these numerous double digit leads Abuela constantly has. Polls only tracker is a bit more reliable, and yet I believe Polls plus is actually Silver's "main" model. That's the one I rely on the most, even if AZ and GA are nowhere close to flipping on that one and so the model is not as exciting. Clinton still has a 78% shot right now even in this model and Obama never had such a chance in 2012 this early.

It's probably been brought up here before, but Clinton had a 7.0% lead on RCP's Poll Average before the Monmouth poll came out. Obama never had that kind of lead over Romney and had one once over McCain.

My question about the "Polls Plus" is that since it relies on the addition of 538's secret sauce, and includes historical analysis in its algo, is whether the historical analysis used is granular enough to accurately factor in the disruption within the GOP this cycle. I mean, if their historical inputs rely on assumptions that the parties coalesce and unify around their candidate and continue to do so as the time delta goes to zero, is that an assumption that can be reasonably applied to this election, or is Trump creating ahistorical volatility among the Republicans outside of the safest core?

That WaPo poll posted several pages back, and the huge disparities between "is Clinton/Trump qualified" and "Does Clinton/Trump have the temperament to be President", etc. would indicate to me that while someone could nominally say they're voting for Trump when asked directly, the key story may be that the motivation to expend the effort needed to do so is being consistently undermined.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

zoux posted:

Before you get too hype, these are based solely on modelling, there hasn't been any polling done in SC this year.

Doesn't matter. It's heartening. May as well do it. I've registered to vote several times (mostly for local initiatives) and have been denied each time as the state said I was not registered to vote. At least twice, maybe three times. Can't remember. I'll mail my vote in so I'm not standing in line all day. It'll be fun.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Xarthor posted:

I listened to (most of) Trump's speech today and what struck me about it aside from the actual content, was how boring and gutless he sounded. I think he's put himself in a real pickle because what has won Trump so much support amongst his fan base is exactly the "gently caress YOU I'M THE DONALD AND I TELL IT LIKE IT IS...LOUDLY!" theatrics. This more toned-down, responsible Trump may appeal to some theoretical moderates and undecided voters but I could easily see his hardcore fans getting angry that he's given in to the "establishment" types who have begged him to be less brash. Granted, it's not like those voters will turn around and vote for Clinton but I could see them staying home and just not voting. So he may pick up a few undecided votes but lose some base votes.

yeah he was low-energy reading from a teleprompter almost the whole time

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Dirt posted:

I'm aware. Hence why I can't wait to move far away from here :)

Michigan will go Clinton, but will never not go Republican in local/state stuff. It's the worst.

edit:

https://twitter.com/NateSilver538/status/762649765687365633

:lol:

https://twitter.com/FrankLuntz/status/762660455374393344

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Xarthor posted:

The bigger issue is that he didn't raise a significant new talking point, or even repackage an old one in a new way. What he's doing isn't working and he's just repeating himself. That's not gonna help turn his campaign around.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

The argument against the polling number is just another dellusion about the GOP's supposed silent majority that doesn't exist.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

So I have a question. Trump seems to be funneling boatloads of money to himself and spending little if any of it on the actual campaign. What are the social, economic and legal repercussions for this?

yoctoontologist
Sep 11, 2011

Yeah, South Carolina has fewer swing voters than almost anywhere else:

(That article is from 2012, so some of those rankings may be out of date, but there haven't been any big demographic changes in SC that I know of)

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Politics in SC are so rigidly tied to race that I can't see it changing anytime soon.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

This is the rationale. Like I said, the last GE poll for SC was in November.

https://twitter.com/NateSilver538/status/762718991022379008?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

yoctoontologist posted:

Yeah, South Carolina has fewer swing voters than almost anywhere else:

(That article is from 2012, so some of those rankings may be out of date, but there haven't been any big demographic changes in SC that I know of)

Man yeah. looking at that chart I can't help but wonder if there is a correlation between swing voting and how many brown people are in that specific state.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Trump's like -30 college educated white women, that's where all these state's are coming into play. Romney won them by 15% or so last time around.

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/SouthLoneStar/status/762355369855311873

Whoa this looks legit to me. Can't believe the Black Panthers have come forward in time 40 years to spray paint that on white peoples churches.

lmao holy poo poo

"gently caress whitey" is the deadest give away that this was done by a white person.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Scent of Worf posted:

lmao holy poo poo

White passersby were condemned as "jive turkeys"

yoctoontologist
Sep 11, 2011

Dexo posted:

Man yeah. looking at that chart I can't help but wonder if there is a correlation between swing voting and how many brown people are in that specific state.

There 100% is, actually. In Southern states, the larger the percentage of the population that is black, the more solidly Republican the white voters tend to be.

I was messing around with election data a few weeks ago, and found that Mississippi and South Carolina consistently vary less from election to election than the rest of the country. (Alabama is different, in that it's actually been trending way more Republican relative to the rest of the country. I suspect this is because of northern Alabama, which isn't really part of the same cultural region as the rest of the Deep South.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

zoux posted:

Trump's like -30 college educated white women, that's where all these state's are coming into play. Romney won them by 15% or so last time around.

How's he doing with non-college educated women? Still worse than good old Binders?

• Locked thread