Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I don't believe there has been confirmation of literally a single account being banned, so it's all hearsay if someone claims that X is a bannable offense.

The only statement that they've made about banning is a tweet saying "It is [coming]", which sounds like they are flagging accounts right now and then they'll push a banwave and hit them all at once.

Neeksy posted:

At this point there's no good IV-checker you can look at on the go, right? Guess I'll have to do my catch purges when I get home (if the checkers work on Mac, of course).

The Sylph Road one is good if you power up your mons until they bump up to the next dust cost increase. That's the only way to decipher the exact level of a pokemon. Anything that gives you a range is useless because one level is the difference between perfect and average.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

So I'd been seeing this Psyduck shadow pop at home now and then but never ran across it, I finally saw it pop on the side of the road next to the freeway on ramp. All I can think now is that Psyduck was panhandling his way across the desert to California.

JuulPodSaveAmerica
Aug 29, 2012
Each time you power up a pokemon, is the gain ins CP the sum of its IV values?

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

mistaya posted:

So I'd been seeing this Psyduck shadow pop at home now and then but never ran across it, I finally saw it pop on the side of the road next to the freeway on ramp. All I can think now is that Psyduck was panhandling his way across the desert to California.

Ever get Road Headache? :downsrim:

Swork
Sep 5, 2011

IT KEEPS HAPPENING
to be funny

Neeksy posted:

At this point there's no good IV-checker you can look at on the go, right? Guess I'll have to do my catch purges when I get home (if the checkers work on Mac, of course).

http://www.pgnexus.gg/

This one is pretty simple and similar, but its login is REALLY hit or miss for people.

Unsmart
Oct 6, 2006

Dahbadu posted:

Abra just spawned in my front yard.

I'm level 24. It was 300 CP. Just spawned, had 12 minutes left on timer. I gave it a fruit, used a greatball and hit with a curveball. Ran away immediately. :(

Abras have a 99% flee rate so if you don't get it on the first ball you're pretty hosed.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Broseph Brostar posted:

The only statement that they've made about banning is a tweet saying "It is [coming]", which sounds like they are flagging accounts right now and then they'll push a banwave and hit them all at once.

Guh... I hope they ban my account, and then it would just end the misery of playing this stupid game anymore.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

What level are you?

I was 20 when I crammed 400 candies into that freshly caught fish. I had slated a 97% fish for evolving, but then that 100% feller hopped into my bucket.

For anyone in the Washington DC area, the FDR Memorial is the spot to go. Two days and you will have your 400 karp candies.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Holy poo poo, apparently Blossom's PoGo Manager can batch evolve pokemon at 300ms per 'mon, or 3000 'mons per half-hour lucky egg. Assuming you somehow had 3000 'mons to evolve (that would be a helluva lot of bag upgrades!) you could theoretically pop a lucky egg and earn 3 million exp at the push of a button.

That is terrifying. :stare:

Don't press that button. It would be super easy for them to do a timestamp search of pokemons evolved back-to-back under a maximum time threshold (the time it takes to finish the evolve animation) and then flag accounts that violate that, assuming they are doing any kind of proactive searching along these lines.

Swork
Sep 5, 2011

IT KEEPS HAPPENING
to be funny

Astro7x posted:

Guh... I hope they ban my account, and then it would just end the misery of playing this stupid game anymore.

Siets posted:

Holy poo poo, apparently Blossom's PoGo Manager can batch evolve pokemon at 300ms per 'mon, or 3000 'mons per half-hour lucky egg. Assuming you somehow had 3000 'mons to evolve (that would be a helluva lot of bag upgrades!) you could theoretically pop a lucky egg and earn 3 million exp at the push of a button.

That is terrifying. :stare:

Don't press that button. It would be super easy for them to do a timestamp search of pokemons evolved back-to-back under a maximum time threshold (the time it takes to finish the evolve animation) and then flag accounts that violate that, assuming they are doing any kind of proactive searching along these lines.

Do this

Unsmart
Oct 6, 2006

Broseph Brostar posted:

The Sylph Road one is good if you power up your mons until they bump up to the next dust cost increase. That's the only way to decipher the exact level of a pokemon. Anything that gives you a range is useless because one level is the difference between perfect and average.

SRs calculations are flawed, considers attack and defense equally weighted, which they are not. Even if you get the level right, it is not accurate. The popular range calculators use the correct formula. The right way is to use a range calculator and get the level some other way to then cut that range down. Depends how much effort you want to put in to this.

Siets posted:

Yikes. Did not realize that. I'm gonna just not use that function and cross my fingers. Pappy needs his IVs! :f5:

If you don't use the write functions it should look no different than Advisor, I'd assume.

Blanketspace posted:

Each time you power up a pokemon, is the gain ins CP the sum of its IV values?

No.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

I'm just using Blossom's to see the IV % I have when I come back in. Don't give a poo poo about whatever else it does.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!
I'm level 23 and a 85 cp magickarp busted out of a great toss pokeball and ran, cool

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

Siets posted:

Gonna put in a second plug for Blossom's PoGo Manager if you are going through massive PokeAdvisor withdrawal like I was.

https://www.reddit.com/r/pokemongodev/comments/4vq84x/blossoms_pokemon_go_manager_xpost_rpokemongoiv/

Took all of 5 seconds to set up and now I can search pokemon by name and then sort by IV% again! :hellyeah:

I want to use this but I'm just waiting for the pokemon go app to get some sort of client/server handshake where PoGo will still work but you'll get marked to get banned for the missing handshake, even though things look fine on the PoGo user's end.

I'm either going back to spreadsheet calculators or just not caring about IVs.

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure
I look forward to the inevitable backlash when they ban people that clearly violate the ToS and can't comprehend why they were banned. If you don't think you're gonna get banned for PokemonAdvisor, anything MITM, GPS spoofing, using your own account for the scanners, then you never played Ingress.

quote:

I can't believe Niantic banned me for using third party apps! I will never play this game again!
:goonsay:

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Megaflare posted:

SRs calculations are flawed, considers attack and defense equally weighted, which they are not. Even if you get the level right, it is not accurate. The popular range calculators use the correct formula. The right way is to use a range calculator and get the level some other way to then cut that range down. Depends how much effort you want to put in to this.

Aren't attack and defense IVs tied directly to total CP? For instance if a poke had 100% health and CP then it has the highest attack and defense it can get regardless of the fact that you can't see the real numbers, right?

I thought there were only two IVs and attack and defense are derived from CP.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Eh, if I get banned I get banned. I hold no air of goony hacker superiority that what I am doing is somehow moral or just.

If that happens I will probably just quit the game and come back fresh in 6 months when more features/mons come out and the game (hopefully) isn't trying its damndest to be a pain in the rear end on purpose anymore.

vvv You'd still have to take a bunch of screenshots, but yeah that would do the trick.

Siets fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Aug 8, 2016

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

I remember hearing talk of an app that calculated IVs based on screenshots, whatever happened to that?

That would take away the guesswork of finding the right position on the arc and wouldn't have to access your account directly, so there'd be no risk of getting banned either.

Unsmart
Oct 6, 2006

chemosh6969 posted:

I want to use this but I'm just waiting for the pokemon go app to get some sort of client/server handshake where PoGo will still work but you'll get marked to get banned for the missing handshake, even though things look fine on the PoGo user's end.

I'm either going back to spreadsheet calculators or just not caring about IVs.

They've actually already done this with Unknown6. It's always been there but didn't seem to do anything so no one bothered to fill it out when making API calls, then suddenly they activated validation checking on the server side and now you need to fill it out (mostly). So they theoretically have records of every account that sent certain API calls without it when they weren't explicitly returning failure (well, returning empty, technically).

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

I remember hearing talk of an app that calculated IVs based on screenshots, whatever happened to that?

That would take away the guesswork of finding the right position on the arc and wouldn't have to access your account directly, so there'd be no risk of getting banned either.

GoIV, currently on PlayStore. Android only I think. Don't need to take screenshots manually but you do need to give the app permission to capture your phone's screen.

Broseph Brostar posted:

Aren't attack and defense IVs tied directly to total CP? For instance if a poke had 100% health and CP then it has the highest attack and defense it can get regardless of the fact that you can't see the real numbers, right?

I thought there were only two IVs and attack and defense are derived from CP.

Here, go to SR's calc, move the bar to level 6 on a bulbasaur and put all the sliders at max. It tells you 100%, right? Go to Pokeassistant, enter the same information. You've got three combinations (all same level) and cannot say with 100% certainty that that bulbasaur is 15/15/15. Ed: You'll narrow it down with one powerup but that's just the first example I plugged in and tested. I used SR a lot before PA existed and when PA showed up, I checked them and a fair number of them were not correct and some of them were only a few percent but others were 10-15% off. I mean this is probably a bit overkill but I figure if you're going to torture yourself in to calculating IVs, you should try to do it right the first time.

Ed2: Here's a bit more mid-range example: Bulbasaur again, 18/526/58 = 79%. PA = 73 to 84, all level 18.

Unsmart fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Aug 8, 2016

HATECUBE
Mar 2, 2007

wowo drat riverwalk and the GM ren center downtown are

on
loving
fire

if you want your GPS to actually move , you have to walk around outside the building, which is an endless circuit of 12 stops. or you can walk inside and watch the app poo poo the bed to death as it tries to guess where in the block of concrete you are while rendering dozens of poke

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Siets posted:

Eh, if I get banned I get banned. I hold no air of goony hacker superiority that what I am doing is somehow moral or just.

If that happens I will probably just quit the game and come back fresh in 6 months when more features/mons come out and the game (hopefully) isn't trying its damndest to be a pain in the rear end on purpose anymore.

I feel the same way. The game is no longer fun. I played it for a month, got to level 24, and am tired of running into the same old poo poo every day on my commute to work and back. If I am forced to play this game with the lovely broken tracker and the pathetic selection of Pokemon in my area. Yet every gym around me has a Level 30+ trainer with >4x my EXP in it filled with 2500+ CP Snorlaxes. I get no satisfaction from going to the city, collecting potions and revives, and battling the gym for an hour... only to have someone take it back it from me using a GPS spoofer. It also feels like there is no point in dumping stardust into anything until level 30, because you'll just get something better than what you have by chance.

Fusion Restaurant
May 20, 2015
PSA: You can use this website to check IVs. Very similar to Poke Advisor -- slightly worse interface IMO, but the functionality is there: https://www.pgnexus.gg

HATECUBE
Mar 2, 2007

stop thinking of gyms as things to hold and start seeing them as targets you hit for coins. this is literally the only fun interactive part of the game right now, its the only thing to do with your pokes. get 2 other people and start knocking over gyms, see how close you can get to the daily cash-in limit of 10. i say 3 is the magic number because:

3 people can take down a lv10 gym in a short amount of time, and
3 is the number of poke you can put in an empty gym without training it up

Fusion Restaurant
May 20, 2015

Bacon Hat posted:

stop thinking of gyms as things to hold and start seeing them as targets you hit for coins. this is literally the only fun interactive part of the game right now, its the only thing to do with your pokes. get 2 other people and start knocking over gyms, see how close you can get to the daily cash-in limit of 10. i say 3 is the magic number because:

Also, do this at 2 AM for best results.

I tend to think of the game more as something to do while I'm doing something else. E.g. on commutes, or if I'm listening to a lecture or podcast I'll do it while walking and Pogoing instead of sitting at home.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Dahbadu posted:

Minmaxing is part of the fun for a lot of people. If it's fun for you (or someone else) to throw an endless wave of rats to take a gym, cool, more power too you. For me (and I'm guessing others here), it's fun to collect and evolve the best pokemon. It's fun to find that perfect Pikachu or Pidgy, or whatever.

I don't think anyone is saying that anyone should try and take over gyms with a bunch of 14 CP rats, more like that it doesn't really matter a lot whether your Lapras ends up with 2050 CP vs 2140.

kxZyle
Nov 7, 2012

Pillbug

nexous posted:

I look forward to the inevitable backlash when they ban people that clearly violate the ToS and can't comprehend why they were banned. If you don't think you're gonna get banned for PokemonAdvisor, anything MITM, GPS spoofing, using your own account for the scanners, then you never played Ingress.

While I wouldn't exactly be happy about getting banned, I admit the fallout from Niantic banning all 1.2 million PokéAdvisor-tagged accounts would be amazing.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Bacon Hat posted:

Unfortunately the best way to do this, especially in smaller towns like the ones I live in, is for everyone to hop into a car and never get out.

The majority of people capping gyms around here are roving death squads from a few towns over. I'd be more irritated except that it's just as easy to kick them out later. Still, they get way more XP than I do and so the cp level of the Pokemon clogging up our gyms keeps slowly rising. Plus, egg mileage is weird and sometimes registers for car players, and they get to scan and poach the best spawns from each town. Kind of unfortunate that playing from a car is so effective, but that's how niantic set it up

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Siets posted:

vvv You'd still have to take a bunch of screenshots, but yeah that would do the trick.

To be fair, back a few weeks, the game was literally unplayable from the sheer amount of crashing. Now it's cut off not-strictly-essential-but-would-still-be-nice features, but it works enough to reliably play.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Prop Wash posted:

egg mileage is weird and sometimes registers for car players,

I usually get 3KM towards my eggs on my commute every single day on the train. :shrug: I'm not complaining, I guess. God bless Chicago's public transit system for moving at glacier like speeds down the tracks at times.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Astro7x posted:

I usually get 3KM towards my eggs on my commute every single day on the train. :shrug: I'm not complaining, I guess. God bless Chicago's public transit system for moving at glacier like speeds down the tracks at times.

Oh I'm not complaining either,
I keep the game running on my commute and get some distance too. It just speaks to the really weird incentive system niantic has set up where you get miles for sitting in a car or train but not, say, running laps on a track (or very few anyway). Even walking tends to be crappy in my town because we have a lot of winding roads that don't always register.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Opened the game while I was in my living room, pulled up the "tracker", and saw a Bulbasaur in position 6. I tapped on him, knowing that it does nothing, because muscle memory. When I closed it, Bulbasaur was there!

I know, it's pure coincidence, but I don't care.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Fusion Restaurant posted:

PSA: You can use this website to check IVs. Very similar to Poke Advisor -- slightly worse interface IMO, but the functionality is there: https://www.pgnexus.gg

This seems to be down.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

I know Niantic is handling larger issues than any one tool, but I still have to laugh at the sheer display of self-sabotage they are putting on. There's almost no actual game in this game. One of the main draws, became buggy or was removed like what... a week and a half after the US launch? And then it got replaced, effectively, by trackers. The people that play Pokemon GO were so desperate for something fun to do, they made their own software to make it happen. They could have just played a different game but they wanted Pokemon GO.

And of course that poo poo got cut down.

Now there's IVs. They basically don't matter except in an extreme end-game that even dedicated players are only just now arriving at. How much they even matter then, I'm not sure. But it turns phone tapping Armageddon into something approaching a game. But the game itself provides almost no information on IVs and so players gravitated to spreadsheet calculators and then eventually PokeAdvisor. Again, people could just play a different game, but...

And of course now that poo poo is out too.

God drat. People REALLY want to play this game. Even though It's a total turd! It's an unbearably small fraction of the experience implied by the advertising and dreamed of by its fanbase, but god damnit people still want to play. How the gently caress are they even operating when they are so doggedly squashing the efforts of the few people capable of transforming their broken, shallow-rear end game into something worth spending time and thought on?

Blackfish
Sep 12, 2007

we have to be prepared to smoke a thousand joints before our quest is complete
Looks like there was an update, says they fixed the capture bug thing and the nearby menu is changed to sightings and the Pokemon in that menu have grass behind them now.

Edit: Here's a picture

Blackfish fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Aug 8, 2016

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Blackfish posted:

the nearby menu is changed to sightings and the Pokemon in that menu have grass behind them now.

That's interesting. Does that mean that it was always meant to imply something other than "these creatures are definitely within a certain radius of your current position?" I'm kind of skeptical, could be sleight-of-hand, but I'd certainly like to know what they're aiming for.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"

Blackfish posted:

Looks like there was an update, says they fixed the capture bug thing and the nearby menu is changed to sightings and the Pokemon in that menu have grass behind them now.

If only this happened before that Abra spawned in my living room. :(

Anyways, good changes it seems.

Aaod
May 29, 2004

Prop Wash posted:

Oh I'm not complaining either,
I keep the game running on my commute and get some distance too. It just speaks to the really weird incentive system niantic has set up where you get miles for sitting in a car or train but not, say, running laps on a track (or very few anyway). Even walking tends to be crappy in my town because we have a lot of winding roads that don't always register.

I know of one spot near where I live that would give me almost as much distance due to GPS drifting as I would walking around normally not because I walk slow but because the tracking is awful.

Touchdown Boy
Apr 1, 2007

I saw my friend there out on the field today, I asked him where he's going, he said "All the way."

Dahbadu posted:

If only this happened before that Abra spawned in my living room. :(

Anyways, good changes it seems.

It its any consolation Abras have something like and 80% flee chance. They usually run after a couple of tries unless you are lucky.

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva
"Trainers will have to indicate they aren't the driver" :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

nexous posted:

No backlash from me if I get banned. I played the game strictly legit up until I hit the level 20+ wall round about the same time they disabled in-game tracking.

After that it was a couple of weeks fun where *everyone* was using PokéVision or similar to get notifications of rare pokémon. Sitting around the nearby park at lunch and a whole heap of people would suddenly start heading off in one direction. "Blastoise?" "Yep!" Good times. I ended up seeing the same folk each day and a small bunch of us formed a Team Valor cabal who would Karpet Bomb the nearby high-level gyms and leave them for lower-level players to take. The 3rd-party trackers really kept the game going after Niantic disabled their own.

I've never been an IV nerd but once Niantic disabled pokémon hunting I started using PokéAdvisor to choose which Pidgies/Drowsies/Zubats to mulch while keeping and evolving the ones that had better IVs than my existing Pidgeots/Hypnos/Golbats since those were pretty much all that was left to catch. And at this point, evolving the best possible version of the common spawns is pretty much the only challenge in the game. Gotta beat that RNG!

Had a good weekend in NYC and caught a lot of mons that will simply never spawn here, but now I'm back home to find all the gyms are occupied by a bunch of lvl 37 snorlaxes and dragonites with usernames I've never seen before. I've been playing the game since before it was released in the UK and I'm level 23. People I know who live in high-density spawn areas and have invested way more time in this game than me are level 26-27.

So yeah, ban me. They've gone after every 3rd party site that has tried to provide some level of fun or enhanced gameplay mechanics for their badly-designed game while leaving it open for spambots to take control of gyms en masse. Between that, the removal of features from the app and the un-announced mass reshakings of server-side data it's hard to imagine a scenario where they could have handled this game worse.

And despite all that I'll probably keep playing this piece of poo poo because I gotta catch 'em all.

Minor text updates:

Ah hell, you just said everything I was trying to say so much better than I could.

Clyde Radcliffe fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Aug 8, 2016

• Locked thread