Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

Sexpansion posted:

Hivemind of the SA pro lol thread, please tell me if you agree that Quas is actually really good still.

Quas looked awful this split and his ability to play the map is still terrible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Sexpansion posted:

Hivemind of the SA pro lol thread, please tell me if you agree that Quas is actually really good still.

I'd put him up there with Dyrus.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

exethan posted:

i think the sun is probably setting on the careers of many Good Players this year

God I hope so

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

Sexpansion posted:

He has like one game in ten that make you think "It's him, the god Quas." Then he plays a lot of really uninspiring poo poo the other 9. His teleports are terrible, his 5v5ing is laughably bad. Like I lost track of how many times this weekend's tournament he just leaped into the enemy team full bore and died instantly with literally no possible way to help his team soak/press/peel/focus anything.

I think he is legitimately bad now, and I loved the signing of him and defended him for a long time.

YancyQ
Jan 18, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Quas is like the McDonalds of top laners: he's not necessarily good or good for you, but he's cheap and familiar and sometimes that's what you need

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD

Sexpansion posted:

He's looked much worse & he's still not on a team willing to use him. I'd probably take him if I was buying a LCS slot right now because if you arent importing a top you're looking at probably Cris or something... also isn't he an import still. He's not good enough to eat an import slot actually, I'd never take him.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Go back to your home country of the rich piece of poo poo mother fucker section of Venezuela Quas. LCS ill needs a savior such as you.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'm done watching pro lol if everyone doesn't get together and agree that they need to take froggen back behind the barn

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

exethan posted:

i think the sun is probably setting on the careers of many Good Players this year

You'd think so but some of them just seem unkillable.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
How could Quas possibly still be a non-resident? He's played in NA his entire career and it's not like Venezuela has pro league. I think there's only one other pro player in the entire world from Venezuela who isn't Quas.

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

he played on liquid with fenix and piglet remember, hes not an import

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

Ok if he's a resident I'd take him if I had like... lourlo.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
What toplaners are better than him in NA right now?

Impact... Hauntzer? Darshan? I honestly haven't watched that much NA or EU this split so I don't know.

e: Oh obviously Huni is better.

stump collector
May 28, 2007

CODChimera posted:

You'd think so but some of them just seem unkillable.

faker will never be eclipsed

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
What even is the toplane meta right now? It's not as carry-oriented as it was in Season 5, it's not split-push, it's not the Rumble meta. Seems like most teams are just struggling to figure out what to do with toplaners and either sticking tanks up there or really inefficient champions up there and hoping for the best.

Top lane meta always seems like the most finicky, especially with lane swaps they just sit around on an island and hope to be relevant late game.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

The following players are better than him:

Hauntzor
Dark Shawn
Impact
Huni
Ray
KFO
Seraph
Cris
Balls
Kiwikid if he went back to top lane
Probably whoever is top lane for P1
Dyrus
HotshotGG

basically everyone anyones ever heard of except lourlo and the rain man.

stump collector
May 28, 2007

RealFoxy posted:

What even is the toplane meta right now? It's not as carry-oriented as it was in Season 5, it's not split-push, it's not the Rumble meta. Seems like most teams are just struggling to figure out what to do with toplaners and either sticking tanks up there or really inefficient champions up there and hoping for the best.

Top lane meta always seems like the most finicky, especially with lane swaps they just sit around on an island and hope to be relevant late game.

season 6 will be even more carry oriented as soon as the first blood turret gold patch goes through. rumble died off because the mage rework hosed every one of his favorite items but i bet we see him for worlds

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

exethan posted:

faker will never be eclipsed

this is probably true. It's hard to imagine there will ever be a player on the tier of faker, even if he has started to really show his age this split in particular.

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

top lane meta appears to be shen and gnar

stump collector
May 28, 2007

Kashuno posted:

this is probably true. It's hard to imagine there will ever be a player on the tier of faker, even if he has started to really show his age this split in particular.

i think bjergsen and doublelift are on a similar level, regionally. those guys are very consistent and impressive still. I guess dade had a good game a couple days ago so maybe he is Also Back :v:

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.

Kashuno posted:

Show his age? Lol, the guy is like 20

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Work Friend Keven posted:

The following players are better than him:

Hauntzor
Dark Shawn
Impact
Huni
Ray
KFO
Seraph
Cris
Balls
Kiwikid if he went back to top lane
Probably whoever is top lane for P1
Dyrus
HotshotGG

basically everyone anyones ever heard of except lourlo and the rain man.

Lourlo was actually good this split when they let him play Fiora/Irelia. It seems forcing him into tanks when he had no idea how to play them was a bad idea but hell I'd rather still have him on tanks and have Piglet.

Quas actually has the lowest cs difference in the league that just shows how much NRG try to help him in laneswaps. Imo Quas was better than Kfo/Zig but he didn't really get much room to shine because NRG were really bad. He had some good games on Jax/Maoka and his Illaoi got banned a lot even though he only won once in it. He wasn't as good as he was with TL but he wasn't garbage and to compare him to Balls is just mean. Balls made RF legendary look good last season by getting solo'd by him.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Smol posted:

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Smol posted:

ya, but I mean in terms of time spent playing league. He had some good games this most recent split, but he also had games of iirc going 0/5/0 so it's not like he's especially at the top of his game anymore.

e; just checked, yeah it 0/5/0 vs Jin Air

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

the best mid laner in the world, is rabid squid, normally an adc main but im willing to play mid

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
so have riot said whether or not theyre going to get booths for worlds this year?

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Luna Was Here posted:

so have riot said whether or not theyre going to get booths for worlds this year?
Phreak just had an argument with Hotshot and Regi. They both wanted booths because of how distracting it is. Phreak said some bullshit about how it "Disconnects the fans"

They're probably trying to get another one of those matches in the middle of the crowd. Every pro player complains about how hard it is to hear comms because of all the chanting, Phreak retorted "But you can feel the vibrations even in booths.

Flash fact: It's about trying to drown out the fans so you can actually hear what your team is saying, not about trying to deafen them for baron sneaks. But Riot Games knows more than OGN who have been doing E-Sports for decades.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

RealFoxy posted:

Phreak just had an argument with Hotshot and Regi. They both wanted booths because of how distracting it is. Phreak said some bullshit about how it "Disconnects the fans"

They're probably trying to get another one of those matches in the middle of the crowd. Every pro player complains about how hard it is to hear comms because of all the chanting, Phreak retorted "But you can feel the vibrations even in booths.

Flash fact: It's about trying to drown out the fans so you can actually hear what your team is saying, not about trying to deafen them for baron sneaks. But Riot Games knows more than OGN who have been doing E-Sports for decades.

and even then vibrations from the booths aren't all that pronounced and people in this game cheer for literally anything happening (like ward kills, scuttle crab frags, missed cannon creeps), and its not like baron sneaks even happen anymore. when was the last time someone even did one?

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Luna Was Here posted:

and even then vibrations from the booths aren't all that pronounced and people in this game cheer for literally anything happening (like ward kills, scuttle crab frags, missed cannon creeps), and its not like baron sneaks even happen anymore. when was the last time someone even did one?
All the time but it doesn't matter because Riot is very wrong on this issue and just refusing to budge because they don't want to admit they're wrong.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

RealFoxy posted:

All the time but it doesn't matter because Riot is very wrong on this issue and just refusing to budge because they don't want to admit they're wrong.

I think it's much more in keeping with Riot's style that they're doing it for another reason and pretending they don't agree with the issues because they don't want to admit priorities, just like with solo queue or dominion or whatever. They probably value the spectacle of the current setup more than they value the matches being better setup for competitive but they don't want to admit that so they waffle about it.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
If you want something fun to do, I highly recommend watching Rush stream. It's just the best: https://www.twitch.tv/rush

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

i wont watch anyone who isnt good enough to play on cloud 9 challenger

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

rabidsquid posted:

i wont watch anyone who isnt good enough to play on cloud 9 challenger

he just told an amazing story about how he asked Sneaky to give him a good leash in a pro game and sneaky wouldn't so he told him to kill himself and that's why he's not on C9 anymore. also, he's the best solo-queue jungler I've ever seen in my life.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Doesn't hurt that Rush is also really entertaining.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

Sexpansion posted:

he just told an amazing story about how he asked Sneaky to give him a good leash in a pro game and sneaky wouldn't so he told him to kill himself and that's why he's not on C9 anymore. also, he's the best solo-queue jungler I've ever seen in my life.

LOL

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

theres been a lot of discussion on reddit about franchising LCS and despite literally thousands of posts on the topic i havent seen a single good one yet which i think is pretty impressive personally

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

If anything other pro leagues should get rid of franchising. You shouldn't be able to own the right to suck rear end for a long period of time and not have someone else replace you. I've never seen a team get relegated that didn't deserve it.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Radical posted:

theres been a lot of discussion on reddit about franchising LCS and despite literally thousands of posts on the topic i havent seen a single good one yet which i think is pretty impressive personally
Depending on what you mean, I can see three problems to explain why:
1. How would you even do it without every instance (save the biggest) turning into a Silver All-Stars clowntown immediately? If you mean franchising as in the idea of the leagues, the talent pool is pretty shallow for most places and given how badly Riot handles it as the IP owner with theoretically the deepest pockets, I'd be surprised if anyone else could do not-worse.
2. Same as one but on a team level; even expanding the active team count to like 10 gave us Echo Fox (and P1 for the first half of the split).
3. Who has the money to burn on a wider level? Usually organizations dumb enough to dip a toe into esports are doing so by making a game of their own to do poorly, and individuals with the cash to throw around may look at ROI that Rick Fox and Shaq have seen and put away their wallets.

So I would imagine without delving into literally thousands of reddit posts, that the reason those posts are bad is because there's not really much to talk about beyond insane speculation about dream scenarios instead of the very dull reality.

e:

Libertine posted:

If anything other pro leagues should get rid of franchising. You shouldn't be able to own the right to suck rear end for a long period of time and not have someone else replace you. I've never seen a team get relegated that didn't deserve it.
I dunno, it's fine for other pro sports. Then again, a huge part of that is no doubt because we have a collegiate infrastructure in place that means more than 5 people in the country can not-embarrass-themselves on a national stage on the reg in a given field.

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

yeah, its basically a bunch of people making the same argument but in favor of a different side "if the league is franchised teams will spend more money and the level of play will rise" "if the league isn't franchised the teams will try harder to do well and the level of play will rise"

the actual reality is that theres gonna be poo poo teams no matter what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Radical posted:

yeah, its basically a bunch of people making the same argument but in favor of a different side "if the league is franchised teams will spend more money and the level of play will rise" "if the league isn't franchised the teams will try harder to do well and the level of play will rise"

the actual reality is that theres gonna be poo poo teams no matter what
Unless they can magic up a past decade of people playing way too many video games full time while also remaining young and spry and having not-Hai-wrists

Then boy, won't we look silly

• Locked thread