Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Hollismason posted:

It's going to be interesting what they come up with for her origin or even if it's a origin movie at all. I hope they go with Space Cop / Earth Border Control angle.

So far, all Marvel has said is that she lives on the cosmic side of the MCU and is the single most powerful hero in the lineup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
So she has the power cosmic that's interesting. So she's more like Captain Marvel than Half Kree / Human and more Nega Bands ? cosmic awareness?

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Aug 7, 2016

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Isn't she basically just superman but with hand blasts instead of eye lasers?

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Cythereal posted:

So far, all Marvel has said is that she lives on the cosmic side of the MCU and is the single most powerful hero in the lineup.

Does that mean Captain Marvel is more powerful than Dr. Strange? I thought Dr. Strange was supposed to be some sort of transdimensional demigod. How do you get any stronger than that?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

JordanKai posted:

Does that mean Captain Marvel is more powerful than Dr. Strange? I thought Dr. Strange was supposed to be some sort of transdimensional demigod. How do you get any stronger than that?

Yes but she can benchpress quite a lot more than he can.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Yes but she can benchpress quite a lot more than he can.

That's all the explanation I need. Thank you.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 224 days!
Dr. Strange's relative power is like a freakin' yo-yo. Even in the classic stuff, one minute his nemesis Dormammu is powerful enough that his suicidal charge at Eternity itself might destroy them both; the next, as a mere mortal, he cannot hope to challenge even an astral projection of a sliver of Loki's power.

I'm confident, however, that no other hero can match the :catdrugs: of Dr. Stephen Strange.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

No hero perhaps. But maybe if we got a movie based on Grant Morrison's Doom Patrol.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I really hope this means she'll be around to help punch Thanos in the face. It's always really lame when you have a super powerful hero and a super powerful villain and they never meet.

It's like in Dragon Ball Z, when everyone is fighting the main villain but Goku isn't around. you know it's just a waste of time. And if in some miracle they did manage to win, that'd just feel cheap because you didn't get to see the two really strong people punch each other in the face.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Burkion posted:

I really hope this means she'll be around to help punch Thanos in the face. It's always really lame when you have a super powerful hero and a super powerful villain and they never meet.

It's like in Dragon Ball Z, when everyone is fighting the main villain but Goku isn't around. you know it's just a waste of time. And if in some miracle they did manage to win, that'd just feel cheap because you didn't get to see the two really strong people punch each other in the face.

It's cool when Goku finally comes up and just smacks down the dudes like it's no contest though.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I think the best super powered fight in all of Marvel so far has been Hulk VS Abomination which was a glorified street fight.

I have no idea why Marvel can't seem to pull of big over the top brawls between but it's really weird. I think Deadpool might have a better one between Collosus and that one lady.

No matter what you think of Man of Steel or BvS, the people that were supposed to be super powerful and god-like FELT like it.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

JordanKai posted:

She can control the fundamental forces of nature when powered up, and doesn't have to do any wavy hand bullshit.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Halloween Jack posted:

The cynic in me says it's a marketing ploy to forestall any potential backlash from geek media.

I am pretty sure that every actor in a Marvel movie or tv show that wants it, gets a large box of trade paperbacks for their character. So there is really no reason not to read the comics, but taking pictures of yourself reading them is purely for publicity.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Burkion posted:

I think the best super powered fight in all of Marvel so far has been Hulk VS Abomination which was a glorified street fight.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Oh those poor cars

Also not going to lie I completely blocked that out of my memory

loving Christ Age of Ultron

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
That particular part was cool because it was a surprise the first 8,000 times they show in a trailer that the Hulk suddenly crashes into both Iron Man and a car but yeah that fight in general was dumb as hell.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
It had a bad ending, but I think it was a pretty solid and dynamic fight.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I don't think I'll ever get tired of the Avengers car jokes.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Is just a glorified rumor right now but still.

Warner Bros. Puts ‘Man of Steel’ Sequel Into Active Development

quote:

Henry Cavill‘s Superman will fly solo again in a sequel to “Man of Steel” going into active development at Warner Bros., a person familiar with the project told TheWrap.

Despite Superman’s battle with Batman, DC has been silent on a sequel to “Man of Steel” featuring Superman solo, leading many frustrated fanboys to believe that another film wasn’t going to happen. But a person close to the project told TheWrap that Superman is a top priority for the studio and getting the character right for audiences is of tantamount importance.

The “Man of Steel” sequel is a long way from getting a release date. ‘”Wonder Woman” is slated for June 2, 2017, followed by “Justice League” on Nov. 17, 2017. “Aquaman” is currently slated for July 27, 2018. A standalone “Batman” film does not yet have a date, but will likely come before the Superman sequel, the person familiar with the project said.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
BvS was originally MoS 2, then WB decided to make BvS instead and pushed back MoS 2, right?

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Mo2

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Man of 2teel

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
2 Man, 2 Steel: Can't be Melted

Anyway, was it originally MoS 2?

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
I'd like to see Zach Snyder make something not comic book related at some point in the future maybe.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Harime Nui posted:

I'd like to see Zach Snyder make something not comic book related at some point in the future maybe.

The Owl movie is based on a book series, not comic book iirc.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Harime Nui posted:

The Fountainhead legit needs to happen.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Superman: The Ghost Dimension

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

MacheteZombie posted:

2 Man, 2 Steel: Can't be Melted

Anyway, was it originally MoS 2?

So a buddy cop movie with Superman and Steel?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

MonsieurChoc posted:

So a buddy cop movie with Superman and Steel?

I'd watch this.

Jeph Loeb got asked about suicide squad:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/suicide-squad-critical-reception-marvel-917868

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
There was a time not too long ago when the Editor in Chief of Marvel, Joe Quesada, said something like "when I was a kid, you were DC or you were Marvel. We didn't have any of this back and forth buy-what-you-like poo poo, you were on one team or the other," and basically he wasted no opportunity to insult and trash talk DC any chance he got and the crazy thing is it loving worked. Nerds will build tribal loyalty up over any stupid thing in the world. Not coincidentally this was the era of long-term exclusivity contract between studios and talent. Nowadays we take it for granted you have guys like Brian Michael Bendis, who grew up reading Marvel, has only ever wanted to work for Marvel, and will write for Marvel til the day he dies, and guys like Geoff Johns who grew up reading DC etc.; but back in the day it was expected for writers and even more frequently artists to go from one company to another chasing this job or that or anytime they had a feud with their editor or whatever. That seems almost totally frozen now as Marvel and DC have become appendages in a larger cold war between Warner Bros. and Disney. Loeb is different though in that he's had big-profile work for both companies; also it seems like since his Ultimate crossovers were universally derided he's been much more of a liaison guy and not bothered with the actual comics. Depending on how you look at it it's a promotion or an exile I guess.

e: I should add that back in the day this was just as true for people in the editorial department as well, guys like Marv Wolfman were valued for their ability to edit the work of others with aspergerian precision as much as their writing bona fides.

Harime Nui fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Aug 8, 2016

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I honestly think we should have gotten a Man of Steel sequel before BvS. That way they could have focused more on Batman and audiences would have already been familiar with why the world sees Superman the way they do after the events of the first film. I still think BvS worked but it was definitely a needlessly hard uphill battle to make work when they could have fleshed out Superman as a character in his own sequel film. The origin story is over, so let the character do his own thing.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

MacheteZombie posted:

BvS was originally MoS 2, then WB decided to make BvS instead and pushed back MoS 2, right?

It got turned into BvS but IIRC there was never another Man of Steel planned , just the two Justice League movies.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Mo Man, Mo Steel.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Uncle Wemus posted:

Superman: The Ghost Dimension

Literally in the first movie.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Any takers on who the villain of Man of Steel 2 would be? Brainiac seems like an obvious choice unless he's going up against some New Gods stuff.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Any takers on who the villain of Man of Steel 2 would be? Brainiac seems like an obvious choice unless he's going up against some New Gods stuff.

Mr. Mxyzptlk.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Only if Bat-Mite is in the solo Affleck movie, voiced by Paul Reubens.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Only if Bat-Mite is in the solo Affleck movie, voiced by Paul Reubens.

Let's just cross over with GhostBusters and have Paul Reubens Gozer appear

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Sir Kodiak posted:

http://i.imgur.com/xZxktEv.gifv
Where we see how things change as the effect of the Kryptonite waxes and wanes. That's how you end up with an inconsistent sense of mass and momentum:

This is from a while back, but WOW that's bad. It doesn't look like Superman is regaining his powers, it looks like Batman just decides to stop hitting him as hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
BvS was the most disappointing part of BvS.

Batman vs. 12 random mooks at the end was the only excellent action setpiece in the movie. I desperately want the Batfleck solo movie to be handled as well as those 3 minutes in BvS. My only complaint about the mook fight is that the wooden crates full of guns seemed to fly around weightlessly and in a straight line like they were fighting on Mars.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Aug 8, 2016

• Locked thread