Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Begemot posted:

There are a million ways to explain away the Black Sabbath thing. Someone with a stand getting hit by the arrow is inconsistent even in part 4. Kira gets new powers but it bounces off Mikitaka.

Those are different though. Mikitaka's a fringe case where we don't know for sure if he's an alien (and thus immune to the weird stand-virus stuff from the arrow) or if the arrow legit just doesn't know what to do with him or what so it only ever grazed him at most I think. It stabbed kira a second time. It never stabbed either of their stands though. Gold Experience is straight up stabbed by the arrow by black sabbath, then later on polnareff explains about requiems and says they're when a stand gets stabbed by the arrow. They're not the same situation as the kira thing at all

Baal posted:

This fuckin tornado stand

Also I hate looking at Tsurugi.

Doobie Wah! is a neat fight, yeah. Also, agreed. If joshuu didn't exist, tsurugi would be my least favorite character in the part for how much of a creeper he is even if he manages to do at least one cool thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

"In the Higashikata family, we raise boys as girls for the first few years of their lives!"

".....Why?"

"Dunno."

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

standard owl posted:

manga Jotaro: the man with the most unbreakable ankles, will not deign to put his rear end on the filthy land

anime Jotaro: sits down like a normal person

smh those damned SJWs have struck again......

I see Jotaro mastered the Slavic Squat

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Waffleman_ posted:

"In the Higashikata family, we raise boys as girls for the first few years of their lives!"

".....Why?"

"Dunno."

that was actually a superstitious thing because it was thought that evil spirits would only attack young boys, so to fool them they would have them wear dresses and whatever until they were old enough to not qualify as being a young child

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
Tsurugi is a huge loving creeper and everyone hating on Joshuu should hate him just as much because the stuff he does is definitely not right. But then again they're both rich assholes so it's kind of believable. A lot of the Higashikatas are jerks. Those two just seem to be the more molesty kind of rear end in a top hat.

Not sure how Norisuke ended up relatively okay considering his kids though.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Tsurugi and Joshu and Jobin are all epic.

Amaryllis
Aug 14, 2007

Nobody makes a fool out of Rohan Kishibe!
Honestly everyone in JJL is almost like a real person but also kind of ... off, I guess? Part of that is cleeee~~~~~~~arly from translations that seem to go for literal rather than idiomatic English. But also, pretty much everyone in the Higashikata household is a rich rear end in a top hat and their personal details always come up in hilarious situations that no actual human being would create, like Joshu revealing that he's an atheist because not believing in god makes him afraid to drink expired milk as the whole family sits around in bathing suits eating pancakes, or Hato showing her vanity by chatting about her intestinal parasites and leaving her magazines everywhere and making a big show of finding them, or Jobin revealing his love for games and gambling through a high stakes beetle fight in which he bets his own car. Norisuke, the guy with the bubble hair, comes across as normal in this context. Meanwhile, Gappy's only memories are apparently a brief flashback to some menacing dude's face and a song about french fries, and even his relatively(?) normal-seeming girlfriend falls asleep at inconvenient times and spontaneously licks her elbow.

I love Part 8 so much. The parts of it that aren't about wacky molestation sex comedy are really funny, and I'm constantly wondering what the gently caress is going on with its characters in a way that I didn't really with any other part. e: And somehow this all still works with the heartbreakingly tragic back-story and insane levels of body horror.

Amaryllis fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Aug 8, 2016

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Stallion Cabana posted:

Tsurugi is a huge loving creeper and everyone hating on Joshuu should hate him just as much because the stuff he does is definitely not right. But then again they're both rich assholes so it's kind of believable. A lot of the Higashikatas are jerks. Those two just seem to be the more molesty kind of rear end in a top hat.

Not sure how Norisuke ended up relatively okay considering his kids though.

Fuckin' blind girl whose name escapes me is also thirsty as gently caress and wants to erase Gappy's memory so he'll be her personal slave and poo poo. All the Higashikatas are hosed up.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Dias posted:

Fuckin' blind girl whose name escapes me is also thirsty as gently caress and wants to erase Gappy's memory so he'll be her personal slave and poo poo. All the Higashikatas are hosed up.

I always just call her Pancakes.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

y'all do remember Tsurugi is 9, right?

fruits are brutes
fruits are brutes

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Josuke Higashikata posted:

y'all do remember Tsurugi is 9, right?

fruits are brutes
fruits are brutes

shigechi is 13 and people are glad he got brutally murdered so gently caress that poo poo kid

Amaryllis
Aug 14, 2007

Dias posted:

shigechi is 13 and people are glad he got brutally murdered so gently caress that poo poo kid
I'm hoping that Tsurugi ends up being more Hayato (which feels like the situation that Araki's setting up) and less Shigechi if we're talking about Part 4 analogues.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Wtf was up with that tree tho

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The dad bus murder was extremely cool and Tsurugi is good

like none of y'all wouldn't try hook up with Yasuho

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

The women in JJL have disturbingly voluptuous faces and it really doesn't do alot for me really. Best looker is probably Josuke.

Amaryllis
Aug 14, 2007

yes but I'm not 9 years old and would treat her right

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

You call what keeps happening to her "trying to hook up"? :v:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

multijoe posted:

The women in JJL have disturbingly voluptuous faces and it really doesn't do alot for me really.

:wtc:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Yasuho is a perfect princess and she will score the four ball run

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick
everyone in JJL is ugly because they all have the same face and the inside of their mouths frequently disappear

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Tsurugi is a good kid with good taste and got a guy to get hit by a bus

He is a Good Boy.

Second greatest president of these United States.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Ryaomon posted:

everyone in JJL is ugly

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Yasuho is very, very cool.

Also I got the final Part 2 JoJonium and yikes is this a thick boy

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

From the anime thread

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Middle school. I don't think anyone in the cast is scummy enough to beat up an elementary schooler.

Probably.

Can't wait for RPS.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

tbf though Ken Oyanagi is a little prick, he knew what he was getting into.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Rock

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Waffleman_ posted:

From the anime thread

Can't wait for RPS.

I was just about to say "I bet Rohan would" in that thread, then I remembered RPS Kid and had to keep my mouth shut.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

multijoe posted:

The women in JJL have disturbingly voluptuous faces and it really doesn't do alot for me really. Best looker is probably Josuke.

I'm launching myself into space

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Nothing is beneath or above Rohan's dignity or lack thereof.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
Hello. Part 8 is my least favorite part so far. Where is the corner or cage I'm supposed to sit in

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Butt Ox posted:

Hello. Part 8 is my least favorite part so far. Where is the corner or cage I'm supposed to sit in

wherever it is it'll be on the opposite end of wherever I am (part 8 is my favorite so far, though I don't have a problem with people not liking it)

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Okuyasu Nijimura posted:

I'm launching myself into space

Okay, flicking through the last couple of issues and maybe I was being a little harsh, the only time it's really egregious is when Daiya's trying to seduce Josuke and I guess it was deliberately meant to look a little gross then. I retract my vile slandering of Yasuho Hirose.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Butt Ox posted:

I still don't know how I feel about it so you can sit over here with me.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I'm enjoying part 8 but I don't feel like it is a cohesive whole yet. I don't know if it's because part 8 is the first time I've been following a jojo part as it is being made or what but I feel like part 8 more than any other part has a bunch of random stuff that conflicts with itself and never gets developed on. I'm hopeful that all of the stuff that doesn't make any sense (especially stuff like the timeline in general) will make more sense by the time it is over.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

It's the first Jojo I imagine alot of us have actually read as it's released, it's hard to know what to think of some things when you don't have the benefit of reading five years' worth of story in a few weeks. Are these seemingly dropped plot threads going anywhere, or did Araki actually forget half his own plot? Maybe we'll find out in 2019??

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Butt Ox posted:

I'm on the same boat, but my issues with it might be resolved now that the "mystery" half of it is over.

Nothing will fix the translators' obsessio~n with drawing out vowels in every single sentence though.

Amaryllis
Aug 14, 2007

multijoe posted:

It's the first Jojo I imagine alot of us have actually read as it's released, it's hard to know what to think of some things when you don't have the benefit of reading five years' worth of story in a few weeks.
Yeah, I didn't start reading JJL until a few volumes were already out, so I got to blow through a lot of the setup and the early uncertainty as to wtf Part 8 was about. I'm not sure I would have liked it as much if I'd had to endure three months of California King Bed (ehhh) and then several more months of Josuke Fights a Motorcycle with His GPS Ally (which was totally rad to read all in one go and I'm still mad that Kyo's power is probably too hard to work into a fight for us to ever see her in action again). Now feels like a good time to get into it, though: lots of answers are finally being given.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Setting aside whether or not (or how well) Part 8 resolves itself into a cohesive whole, a lot ot the entertainment week-to-week (or I guess month-to-month now) in Jojo has always been the fights, and thus far Part 8's offerings have been kinda inconsistent, its miniboss-style villains a significant step down from SBR's. Damo was pretty great though, and the whole flashback arc ruled, so I'm optimistic things will pan out in the long run. Even so, as it is right now, I waver a bit when considering how I feel.

I'd also appreciate a few more random encounters a la Part 4, but it looks like we're getting a few so I'm good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Waiting for it to turn out that the timeline for all of the events happening is messed up and off because of some stand that is compressing time or something