Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ages
Feb 20, 2005

Its just half the puffin juice and the puffin lives and doesnt mind. I promise!
Fun Shoe

zoux posted:

To me, Mike Pence seems like Ted Cruz, but without the political acumen.

He's a right wing muppet who has never had an original thought of his own, be it in congress or as governor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

theblackw0lf posted:

That letter of 50 Republican officials saying Trump is a national security risk should top the headlines today. That's just devastating.

Some pretty big names on that letter as well. Tom Ridge is the one that stood out as most recognizable.

Still waiting for Powell and Rice to come out though.
Despite the rumors, Rice is totally heterosexual.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
The fact that minorities are the principle reason for saving his country from literal fascism should be taken as proof that not only does multiculturalism work but that it should be made mandatory.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Powell endorsed Obama in 2008 so I wouldn't be surprised if he reached out to the Clinton campaign and they're sitting on his endorsement until later in the campaign.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Oxxidation posted:

This clarification seems ill-thought out.

"Countries compromised by terrorism".

United States, Germany, France, South America, Israel, Russia....and that's just the last few months. Maybe we can import from Canada? I don't know.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Doctor Butts posted:

So are SC roads shittier than Ohio/Michigan?

oh yes, south carolina's roads are really bad

at least the north has an actual reason for bad roads, in that the climate exacerbates potholes and treating roads for snow also damages them

south carolina just has a lovely government that hates raising taxes to pay for basic services. you immediately know when you've crossed the state line because the roads are instantly 100% better

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Macrame_God posted:

Also, as a GA resident I'm legit amazed that my state could flip. Never thought I'd ever see the day, especially with Hillary running, but this election cycle has been something else. I don't think I'll ever live to see this chaotic of an election in the USA again (at least I hope not).

To be fair, most of our parents (and some of the posters here) have already lived through a more chaotic election. 1968 was really, really crazy.

Ages
Feb 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

SubponticatePoster posted:

Like, what was Pence thinking? "Hmm, yes, I will tie my political future to this yooge gold anchor being thrown into the Mariana Trench, this is a sensible career choice."

He ruined a lot of economic good will in Indiana by going forward with that religious freedom bill, and blundered through the process of spinning it as something other than legalizing discrimination. He had a real solid chance of losing reelection.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

This is the worst possible spin on this. Banning people from specific countries is actually nowhere near as bad as banning an entirely religion. There can be reasonable cause for concern from people from certain areas.

Now, targeting Syrian immigrants is still nonsense, but whatever.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

zoux posted:

"But we're Christians and Jews!"

I was thinking this would undermine the "ISIS persecutes Christians" narrative but Trump voters probably think they're not real Christians anyway. They're too...something.

kaleedity
Feb 27, 2016

Look, maybe we're misunderstanding and trump is shooting for the 'dity vote.

Doctor Butts posted:

So are SC roads shittier than Ohio/Michigan?

I haven't seen much of the central US but I'd be amazed if they were. Those states might have more urban decay but we never really invested in our roads in the first place.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

http://www.wsfa.com/story/32710113/blue-cross-blue-shield-seeks-to-raise-some-obamacare-plans-by-as-much-as-40

Anyone know how this stuff works? Are my insurance costs about to explode at the end of the year.

In Alabama, BCBS is like over 90% of the market so the whole competition model doesn't exist.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Like, what was Pence thinking? "Hmm, yes, I will tie my political future to this yooge gold anchor being thrown into the Mariana Trench, this is a sensible career choice."

"I'm never going to become President but Trump promised me if he wins I'll be President in everything but name."

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

I absolutely hate driving on the Interstates near Columbia because of how bad the roads are.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

"We're not just Islamophobic, we're also xenophobic. Geez, get it right people."

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

It seems like Jackson should have done for South Carolina when he had the chance.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science
Going to put a sign on the wall that reads: "You must be this Mike Pence to enter."

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Nessus posted:

It seems like Jackson should have done for South Carolina when he had the chance.

it's like he already did, actually

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Internet Webguy posted:

"We're not just Islamophobic, we're also xenophobic. Geez, get it right people."

This is sadly the correct answer. It is "less offensive" to ban immigrants from a certain country than to target a specific religious group. It's damage control to try and stop racism charges from sticking.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Internet Webguy posted:

Going to put a sign on the wall that reads: "You must be this Mike Pence to enter."

I'm the closeted neighbor from American Beauty. Can I enter?

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

VikingofRock posted:

To be fair, most of our parents (and some of the posters here) have already lived through a more chaotic election. 1968 was really, really crazy.

True. As someone who was born in the 80s I hope this is as worse as a presidential election gets in my lifetime though.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
I did a write up on Pence in the Political Cartoons thread when he was chosen as VP candidate but I can go over some reasons as to why he was tanking in polls in Indiana.

1. State Superintendent Glenda Ritz- ritz was elected as a GOP turned dem who was personally against Mitch/Pence on the stance of Vouchers and grades for pay accountability. When she beat the former superintendent in a huge upset and started obstructing the Pence agenda, he effectively turned the superintendent into a figurehead and stripped her of the majority of her power. Considering she won by a landslide and it came to light that the former superintendent was abusing the schools a-f grades for schools to change charters he was associated with from F's to A's it was a bit of a shitshow...

2. Religious Freedom Restoration Act- you guys will know this one since it was prevalent in national media for a bit. Long story short Pence passed anti LGBT poo poo, business sectors and anyone with a lick of common sense got angry and he :airquote: fixed it. It's probably what got trumps attention (that and pissing of Christie and he had no choice when Kasich didn't play ball)

3. HB1337 (abortion bill) - shortly after the RFRA hit the fan, this house bill which required all miscarried children to have a proper burial and banned abortions for baby's having disabilities that can effect life expectancy or gender/race passed shortly after. Pence sat on the bill until the last minute and signed it in an effort to "listen to his conscience". It is currently on hold after the Supreme Court challenge overturned Texas' similar bill but it has cemented pence as trying to court evangelicals in our state (and nationwide now)

There is much more local oriented subjects but these are some of the biggest issues that come to mind.

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

Gorelab posted:

I absolutely hate driving on the Interstates near Columbia because of how bad the roads are.

20 from Columbia to Aiken is a joy.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Arrgytehpirate posted:

I wonder how many people are like "I wanna be a Washington inside when I grow up." Vs how many of them just sorta slowly lose their dreams and soul over time and end up as insiders

Loads of folks wanna be in the room where it happens.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
NEWSFLASH: Favorability for 'Titties' polling higher than Trump, Clinton combined.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
So Fox is trying to descredit the new Monmouth poll that was posted earlier by pointing out that the demographic spread was 25% Rep, 35% Ind, 36% Dem, which does look like a slight over-sampling of Dem voters. How much does that or could that possibly influence the overall results? How meaningful is an over-sample of ~7%? My guess would be not very, but I don't know much about statistics

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
A friend of mine keeps yelling about tpp suppressing net neutrality and providing corporate leverage over national governments. Is there a good source that talks about these conclusions and explains whether or not they are accurate or not? The TPP is mindbogglingly indepth and complicated.

Ages
Feb 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

My Imaginary GF posted:

NEWSFLASH: Favorability for 'Titties' polling higher than Trump, Clinton combined.

This country needs a leader who is well versed on titties.

A titty master, if you will...

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

OtherworldlyInvader posted:

Ivanpah was the big test of this theory and it was a failure, the plant burns natural gas in order to keep the temperatures up, and several times more than they expected. I think there's a couple more big concentrated solar thermal plants in the works and maybe they'll do better, but who knows.

http://cleantechnica.com/2016/04/27/ivanpah-raised-performance-second-year/

They're doing a hell of a lot better so far this year, so I'd wait until the febuary 2017 performance review to call it a failure. There's a lot to it, but basically they expected a ramp-up period because it was a new design and wrote it into the contract. Year 2 is already looking much better, with a lot less NG usage than year 1.

They wanted, and PG&E gave them, 4 years to hit full capacity. So far it's within it's production goals for the timeframe.

Harik fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Aug 8, 2016

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Ages posted:

This country needs a leader who is well versed on titties.

A titty master, if you will...
Well we already have the Lunatic Fringe running for President...

kaleedity
Feb 27, 2016

stinkles1112 posted:

So Fox is trying to descredit the new Monmouth poll that was posted earlier by pointing out that the demographic spread was 25% Rep, 35% Ind, 36% Dem, which does look like a slight over-sampling of Dem voters. How much does that or could that possibly influence the overall results? How meaningful is an over-sample of ~7%? My guess would be not very, but I don't know much about statistics

"independents" tend to be republicans that haven't wanted to associate with them since W. It's a wash.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Sorry everyone but one part of the fun train has to get derailed, a new poll in Utah has Trump 37, Clinton 25, Johnson 16, Stein 1

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

kaleedity posted:

"independents" tend to be republicans that haven't wanted to associate with them since W. It's a wash.

Cue Bill "I'm an independent conservative" O'Reilly, who just happens to vote in lockstep with Republicans and agree with them on every single issue.

But INDEPENDENT.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Well Mr. Trump, we may disagree on many things, but I think "trillions for titties" is a fine platform.

The fabled pivot!

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Popular Thug Drink posted:

south carolina just has a lovely government that hates raising taxes to pay for basic services. you immediately know when you've crossed the state line because the roads are instantly 100% better

It is staggering how bad our roads are. Sarajevo '94 bad. Fallujah '04 bad.

We have labor laws commensurate with Bangladesh, so we pay large multinational corporations hundreds of millions of dollars in tax breaks to throw low-wage laborers into their capitalistic meatgrinder and destroy our infrastructure without liability.

Oh, and all taxes are bad. We have the lowest gas prices AND the lowest gas taxes in the nation--but the second a gas tax increase is proposed Koch Bros fueled tea party groups spring into action and torpedo the gently caress out of it.

It really is a wonder.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Deadulus posted:

http://www.wsfa.com/story/32710113/blue-cross-blue-shield-seeks-to-raise-some-obamacare-plans-by-as-much-as-40

Anyone know how this stuff works? Are my insurance costs about to explode at the end of the year.

In Alabama, BCBS is like over 90% of the market so the whole competition model doesn't exist.

"Seeks to" is not quite the same as what happens. Every couple years, a number of insurers try and get 30-40% increases on the CoveredCA marketplace, they usually get punted back and approved at a ~8-10% increase.
You could probably see what their rate increase actually was last time they submitted their plans.

They asked for 28% in 2015 too, not sure what they got

Although now I'm looking it looks like the commission has the ability to review the plans but not reject them so I don't know what to think.

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Aug 8, 2016

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Popular Thug Drink posted:

oh yes, south carolina's roads are really bad

at least the north has an actual reason for bad roads, in that the climate exacerbates potholes and treating roads for snow also damages them

water in all its forms is really good at damaging roads - the only place where they have a longer lifespan is the desert

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
So apparently Donald Trump once withdrew financial support for the medical care of his nephew's cerebral palsy in retaliation for his brother / his nephew's father suing over getting written out of their father's inheritance. Donald Trump with-held medical care from a sick child out of spite.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/donald-trump-revoke-cut-off-child-medical-bills-family-feud-a6795131.html

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

FCKGW posted:

"Seeks to" is not quite the same as what happens. Every couple years, a number of insurers try and get 30-40% increases on the CoveredCA marketplace, they usually get punted back and approved at a ~8-10% increase.
You could probably see what their rate increase actually was last time they submitted their plans.

That article says last time was 28%. So still really high but maybe not the 40% range.

Also from that article it seems to be claiming Blue Cross Blue Shield has been lossing $100 millions in Alabama even with an already 28% increase last year.

Raccooon fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Aug 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012
FIFTY (if I counted right) major GOP security leaders just released a letter condemning Trump and stating they will not vote for him.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/08/08/us/politics/national-security-letter-trump.html?_r=0

:toot:

• Locked thread