Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stoops
Jun 11, 2001

necrotic posted:

Which ie? Does ie even support inline functions like that map call?

IE 11

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

stoops posted:

I have this jqplot graph script I'm using that works on chrome, but doesnt on IE.

I think I nailed the problem to this piece of code, and I thought maybe I can run it thru JSLint and figure it out, but I'm not sure about the Foreach errors, or the parseInt error.

Any help is appreciated

code:
function printTable(file) {

var reader = new FileReader();
reader.readAsText(file);
reader.onload = function(event){
var csv = event.target.result;
var studentData = $.csv.toArrays(csv);

for(var i = 0; i < studentData.length; ++i){
	studentData[i] = studentData[i].map(val => parseInt(val, 10));
}
callPlot(studentData);
};

reader.onerror = function(){ alert("Unable to read " + file.fileName); };
}

If you aren't using Babel or something else, that won't work in any browser except the most recent Crome. ES6 is not usable as-is right now. Transpile it or use ES5 code.

EDIT: some compatibility charts! https://kangax.github.io/compat-table/es6/

Lumpy fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jul 20, 2016

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

stoops posted:

I have this jqplot graph script I'm using that works on chrome, but doesnt on IE.

I think I nailed the problem to this piece of code, and I thought maybe I can run it thru JSLint and figure it out, but I'm not sure about the Foreach errors, or the parseInt error.

Any help is appreciated

code:
function printTable(file) {

var reader = new FileReader();
reader.readAsText(file);
reader.onload = function(event){
var csv = event.target.result;
var studentData = $.csv.toArrays(csv);

for(var i = 0; i < studentData.length; ++i){
	studentData[i] = studentData[i].map(val => parseInt(val, 10));
}
callPlot(studentData);
};

reader.onerror = function(){ alert("Unable to read " + file.fileName); };
}

You can also simply convert that lambda to
code:
studentData[i] = studentData[i].map( function(val) { return parseInt(val, 10); });

stoops
Jun 11, 2001
I'll check out Babel, thanks for the recommendation.

Skandranon posted:

You can also simply convert that lambda to
code:
studentData[i] = studentData[i].map( function(val) { return parseInt(val, 10); });

Thanks, that worked!

Depressing Box
Jun 27, 2010

Half-price sideshow.
When would you want to use reduceRight() instead of reduce()?

I can understand something like foldl vs. foldr in Haskell, where you could have an infinite list, but I didn't think that could really happen in JS, and otherwise it seems like they'd give you the same result (outside of doing something messy with implicit conversion).

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

Depressing Box posted:

and otherwise it seems like they'd give you the same result (outside of doing something messy with implicit conversion).

If you're doing a sum sure, but other mathematical operations would give you different values. Or as you mentioned, gross implicit conversions.

Also, javascript has generators now for infinite lists. Though I'm not sure if you can use reduceRight on those? I haven't really touched generators.

necrotic fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jul 26, 2016

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Depressing Box posted:

I can understand something like foldl vs. foldr in Haskell, where you could have an infinite list, but I didn't think that could really happen in JS, and otherwise it seems like they'd give you the same result (outside of doing something messy with implicit conversion).

Having both at hand is very useful when performing functional composition to maintain the relationship between the conceptual model and the sequence of individual function steps

e: I'm phone posting so no example at hand but looking up how up how Redux middleware works behind the scenes may be enlightening.

ynohtna fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jul 26, 2016

Depressing Box
Jun 27, 2010

Half-price sideshow.

necrotic posted:

If you're doing a sum sure, but other mathematical operations would give you different values. Or as you mentioned, gross implicit conversions.

Also, javascript has generators now for infinite lists. Though I'm not sure if you can use reduceRight on those? I haven't really touched generators.

Wow, somehow I didn't even consider non-sum operations. That makes sense.

With generators, at least, the returned iterator object doesn't implement map/reduce/etc., so you'd need to write your own, probably wrapping for...of or something.

ynohtna posted:

Having both at hand is very useful when performing functional composition to maintain the relationship between the conceptual model and the sequence of individual function steps

e: I'm phone posting so no example at hand but looking up how up how Redux middleware works behind the scenes may be enlightening.

This also makes a lot of sense. I guess it's a useful stand-in for a formal compose function (and literally the innards of Redux's compose() function, as you pointed out).

Thanks for the explanations!

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

When you ignore a poster on SA, their posts still appear as "Jerk detected! This user is on your ignore list, click to view post anyway"
I just wanted to hide the post altogether. Then I thought it would be nice to obscure any posts quoting them; but I can't seem to figure out how to get this arrow image centered with the text:

That's probably more of an HTML/CSS question but I'm also hoping I can get a couple optimizations on the javascript and call it v0.1.0
Something-Awful-True-Ignore.user.js

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Chunjee posted:

When you ignore a poster on SA, their posts still appear as "Jerk detected! This user is on your ignore list, click to view post anyway"
I just wanted to hide the post altogether. Then I thought it would be nice to obscure any posts quoting them; but I can't seem to figure out how to get this arrow image centered with the text:

That's probably more of an HTML/CSS question but I'm also hoping I can get a couple optimizations on the javascript and call it v0.1.0
Something-Awful-True-Ignore.user.js

Throw some flexbox on the DIV that holds the text / graphic:

code:
<div style="display:flex; align-items: center;"> ....
You may want to try baseline instead of center as the align value.

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

Thanks. I went through a list of "how to center stuff" and gave up right on the flexbox way because I had mistakenly assumed it was somekind of external framework.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Chunjee posted:

Thanks. I went through a list of "how to center stuff" and gave up right on the flexbox way because I had mistakenly assumed it was somekind of external framework.

Here's a good guide to it if you want to learn yourself: https://css-tricks.com/snippets/css/a-guide-to-flexbox/

It's a pretty amazing thing, and now we can actually use it!

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

OK, I am a complete noob to all of this so bear with me.

I am building a chart using chart.js and this code which enables you to draw an arbitrary line on the chart:

code:
var data = {
    labels: ["JAN", "FEB", "MAR", "APR", "MAY", "JUN", "JUL", "AUG", "SEP", "OCT", "NOV", "DEC"],
    datasets: [{
        data: [12, 3, 2, 1, 8, 8, 2, 2, 3, 5, 7, 1]
    }]
};

var ctx = document.getElementById("LineWithLine").getContext("2d");

Chart.types.Line.extend({
    name: "LineWithLine",
    draw: function () {
        Chart.types.Line.prototype.draw.apply(this, arguments);

var point = this.datasets[0].points[this.options.lineAtIndex]
        var scale = this.scale

// draw line
        this.chart.ctx.beginPath();
        this.chart.ctx.moveTo(point.x, scale.startPoint + 24);
        this.chart.ctx.strokeStyle = '#ff0000';
        this.chart.ctx.lineTo(point.x, scale.endPoint);
        this.chart.ctx.stroke();

// write TODAY
        this.chart.ctx.textAlign = 'center';
        this.chart.ctx.fillText("TODAY", point.x, scale.startPoint + 12);
    }
});

new Chart(ctx).LineWithLine(data, {
    datasetFill : false,
    lineAtIndex: 2
});
I am trying to use some of the normal chart.js options like changing pointRadius and lineTension. Wherever I introduce those, including under "datasets" which is where it would ordinarily go, it either completely stops the chart from displaying or has no effect. Halp i bad at comuters

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

I don't think it's just you; I've seen complaints about pointRadius not cooperating, so you might want to try radius instead. If the code is crashing on you because you've put in the other parameters, be certain that you are ending lines with a comma if another argument follows.
Also, while I realize you c/p'd the charts code, be sure to stay consistent with single/double quotes usage.
code:
var data = {
    labels: ["JAN", "FEB", "MAR", "APR", "MAY", "JUN", "JUL", "AUG", "SEP", "OCT", "NOV", "DEC"],
    datasets: [{
    label: "Scatter diagram for parameters Cd, Co: ppb",
    radius: 5,
    pointBackgroundColor: "rgba(220,220,110,1)",
    pointBorderColor: "rgba(220,110,220,1)",
    pointHoverRadius: 15,
    lineTension: 25,
    backgroundColor: "rgba(220,220,110,1)",
    borderColor: "rgba(220,110,220,1)",
        data: [12, 3, 2, 1, 8, 8, 2, 2, 3, 5, 7, 1]
    }]
};

var ctx = document.getElementById("LineWithLine").getContext("2d");

Chart.types.Line.extend({
    name: "LineWithLine",
    draw: function () {
        Chart.types.Line.prototype.draw.apply(this, arguments);

var point = this.datasets[0].points[this.options.lineAtIndex]
        var scale = this.scale

// draw line
        this.chart.ctx.beginPath();
        this.chart.ctx.moveTo(point.x, scale.startPoint + 24);
        this.chart.ctx.strokeStyle = "#ff0000";
        this.chart.ctx.lineTo(point.x, scale.endPoint);
        this.chart.ctx.stroke();

// write TODAY
        this.chart.ctx.textAlign = "center";
        this.chart.ctx.fillText("TODAY", point.x, scale.startPoint + 12);
    }
});

new Chart(ctx).LineWithLine(data, {
    datasetFill : false,
    lineAtIndex: 2     
});
Here is an update showing the other options you wanted to have presented, but they do not seem to actually make a difference in how the chart is displayed: https://jsfiddle.net/dbyze2ga/326/

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Bill NYSE posted:

Here is an update showing the other options you wanted to have presented, but they do not seem to actually make a difference in how the chart is displayed: https://jsfiddle.net/dbyze2ga/326/
This is my problem!! But, it works fine without the vertical line code. So it seems like something about the way that is done is loving this up. Unfortunately I don't know Javascript.

I am only doing this to get around Squarespace's deficient chart block. I wish there was a WYSIWYG JS solution for this.

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

This is my problem!! But, it works fine without the vertical line code. So it seems like something about the way that is done is loving this up. Unfortunately I don't know Javascript.

I am only doing this to get around Squarespace's deficient chart block. I wish there was a WYSIWYG JS solution for this.

I am a huge proponent of google's charts API: https://developers.google.com/chart/
It comes with nice documentation and they set good standards to follow for future development.

edit: go here for the Quick Start to get the basics down with copy/paste: https://developers.google.com/chart/interactive/docs/quick_start

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

^I love the clarity of the documentation here but it doesn't seem to have an option for dividing up the chart between two areas, which is what I'm trying to accomplish.

e: It would be especially great if I could have each area be a different color. Trying to put a before/after in stark contrast.

ee: OK, I figured out how to do this. You can use "scope" to de-emphasize a region. Then you can draw a vertical line using annotations. Google Charts is definitely the poo poo, although it's not as pretty as chart.js.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Aug 1, 2016

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

Pretty can come later when you learn a little more CSS, and you can throw it into the javascript to enhance the chart's appearance. I'm glad it worked out for you!

Kallikrates
Jul 7, 2002
Pro Lurker
Anyone familiar with or have some great links for creating JS bindings to some C++ libraries

http://swig.org seems to be a good start, but I'm wondering if there are some more newbie friendly materials than their Docs. Or alternatives.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Not sure if this is the best place, or the web front end thread, but whatever.

I'm working on a personal project, and I have this really lightweight data layer object. If I copy-paste the code into a jsfiddle, it works as expected. In my project I get
code:
Uncaught TypeError: layer.register is not a function
JSFiddle: https://jsfiddle.net/efeh9asr/

Things that may be relevant:
  • Using React
  • jsfiddle code is in layer.js
  • register function is called from a ComponentWillMount in a different file
  • everything is bundled with webpack

any ideas?

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

The Fool posted:

Not sure if this is the best place, or the web front end thread, but whatever.

I'm working on a personal project, and I have this really lightweight data layer object. If I copy-paste the code into a jsfiddle, it works as expected. In my project I get
code:
Uncaught TypeError: layer.register is not a function
JSFiddle: https://jsfiddle.net/efeh9asr/

Things that may be relevant:
  • Using React
  • jsfiddle code is in layer.js
  • register function is called from a ComponentWillMount in a different file
  • everything is bundled with webpack

any ideas?

Shot in the dark here, but how is layer.register being called? Are you importing layer.js as "layer" into your ComponentWillMount, then calling register? However it is being imported, it is not actually running through your var layer={} line, or the layer you are calling is not the global layer you think it is. Change the name of one of them and this should become more obvious. My guess is you do not have layer.js set up as a proper CommonJS module, and are not exporting your layer object, so when you import it, you are getting something very different from what you are expecting.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Skandranon posted:

Shot in the dark here, but how is layer.register being called? Are you importing layer.js as "layer" into your ComponentWillMount, then calling register? However it is being imported, it is not actually running through your var layer={} line, or the layer you are calling is not the global layer you think it is. Change the name of one of them and this should become more obvious. My guess is you do not have layer.js set up as a proper CommonJS module, and are not exporting your layer object, so when you import it, you are getting something very different from what you are expecting.

So I came here to edit my post saying that I had figured it out.

It was literally the difference between module.export and module.exports.

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler
Is there a jquery event or some method, that's the opposite of .one()? I have a function that loads content, then tiles them, masonry style. I would rather not reload the content of course.

I suppose I could just add a counter or something but I'm open to something a bit more elegant.

Boosh! fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Aug 8, 2016

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
BITCH!

Boosh! posted:

Is there a jquery event or some method, that's the opposite of .one()? I have a function that loads content, then tiles them, masonry style. I would rather not reload the content of course.

Not sure what you're asking exactly, but if you mean you want it to fire every time except the first? if so, you could just set your event .on() inside the .one callback.

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

Boosh! posted:

I suppose I could just add a counter or something but I'm open to something a bit more elegant.

Can you use promises? Use of .then() solved a lot of my jQuery timing headaches.

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler
Ahhh simple enough, thanks fellas :waycool:

FateFree
Nov 14, 2003

Is there a JQuery plugin that comes with cheap ajax capabilities for form submissions? What I really want to do is have a form that traditionally works without javascript and reloads the entire page, but if they have javascript I would love to just stick an id (or several) in a data attribute on the form that tells the plugin what content is going to be updated on the submit, and then basically it could just parse those ids, parse the html content out of the result, and update the sections of the page with results. The server is still going to do all the extra work of returning the entire page but to be honest the performance of that is fine.

N.Z.'s Champion
Jun 8, 2003

Yam Slacker

FateFree posted:

Is there a JQuery plugin that comes with cheap ajax capabilities for form submissions? What I really want to do is have a form that traditionally works without javascript and reloads the entire page, but if they have javascript I would love to just stick an id (or several) in a data attribute on the form that tells the plugin what content is going to be updated on the submit, and then basically it could just parse those ids, parse the html content out of the result, and update the sections of the page with results. The server is still going to do all the extra work of returning the entire page but to be honest the performance of that is fine.

Sounds a bit like PJAX forms,

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/30766466/submitting-form-with-pjax

(I haven't used it myself)

FateFree
Nov 14, 2003

Wow how about that. Thanks! I figured the use case might be common enough for other people.. Its like ajax for lazy folks.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

If I was going to build a Trello-like card interface, should I just use jquery UI or are there good alternatives? Is something similar built into other popular frameworks? Will I kill myself trying to build a 2D hit detection engine from scratch?

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL

Bob Morales posted:

If I was going to build a Trello-like card interface, should I just use jquery UI or are there good alternatives? Is something similar built into other popular frameworks? Will I kill myself trying to build a 2D hit detection engine from scratch?

You don't need a hit detection engine, just go through this tutorial: http://www.html5rocks.com/en/tutorials/dnd/basics/

A good rule of thumb is when you find yourself asking "do I need jQuery UI" the answer is "nope".

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

Anybody have experience with DraftJS? I've got a draftJS editor that uses decorators for some custom block controls that render their react component into the editor just fine, but I'm stuck trying to take the saved state of the editor and render it elsewhere, outside of the editor, as React components. Conceptually trying to use DraftJS as a CMS wysiwyg that saves the state of the editor's content to a DB and then attempts to use that saved state and render it to the frontend. Right now I'm using https://github.com/sstur/draft-js-export-html to convert the raw state to dom elements as a string and then dangerouslySetInnerHTML to write that stringified output to the dom.

Is anyone familiar with a way to, instead of using dangerouslySetInnerHTML, map entities to React components and then render those components?

Portland Sucks
Dec 21, 2004
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
I've been trying out different SO solutions and trying to teach myself this stuff along the way, but this seems like it should work and I think I'm just missing something trivial?

I'm selling a stupid knife on a single page using a paypal button to handle the commerce stuff. I want to run my own php script to grab form data and send it off to mysql database before the buttons posts so I'm attempting to use ajax as a handler.

My Ajax looks like this
code:
<head>
    <script>
        function ajaxRequest() {
                $.ajax({
                    type: 'post',
                    url: 'insert.php',
                    data: $("#payment").serialize(),

success: function () {
                        return true;
                    }
                });
            };
    </script>
    <meta charset="UTF-8">
    <title>Buy this drat knife.</title>
</head>
and my HTML looks like this

code:
<form action="https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr" onsubmit="return ajaxRequest()" name="payment" method="POST" id="payment" target="_top" >
forms
<td><input value="Submit" type="submit" name="submit" alt="PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!"/></td>
The way it is it seems to be posting straight to paypal and ignoring my ajax function. I know that insert.php works because if I swap the form's action for that link then the html data gets posted and a new record is inserted into my database. Why does my ajax suck?

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

I'm pretty sure you will need a preventDefault() to stop the form from immediately submitting, then rolling through that action in your javascript -- instead of the inline form action you have in your HTML.

Portland Sucks
Dec 21, 2004
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
I tried throwing

code:
<head>
    <script>
        function ajaxRequest() {
        	event.preventDefault();
	        $.ajax({

return true;
                    }
                });
            };
    </script>
    <meta charset="UTF-8">
</head>
but it just prevents my submit button from working at all?

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Portland Sucks posted:

I tried throwing

code:
<head>
    <script>
        function ajaxRequest() {
        	event.preventDefault();
	        $.ajax({

return true;
                    }
                });
            };
    </script>
    <meta charset="UTF-8">
</head>

What about something like:

code:
<head>
    <script>
        function ajaxRequest() {
        	var form = $("#payment");
	        $.ajax({
                    data: form.serialize(),

form.submit();
                    }
                });
            };
    </script>
    <meta charset="UTF-8">
</head>
Change <input type="submit"> to <button type="button" onclick="ajaxRequest()">Paypal!</button>

Portland Sucks
Dec 21, 2004
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Nah that just leaves me with a nonfunctional button. What can I use to figure out whether or not its even getting inside the ajaxRequest() function?

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Portland Sucks posted:

Nah that just leaves me with a nonfunctional button. What can I use to figure out whether or not its even getting inside the ajaxRequest() function?

code:
console.log('HELLO IS THIS RUNNING?')
inside your function.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Portland Sucks posted:

I tried throwing

code:
<head>
    <script>
        function ajaxRequest() {
        	event.preventDefault();
	        $.ajax({

return true;
                    }
                });
            };
    </script>
    <meta charset="UTF-8">
</head>
You never actually send the event into the function. It needs to be a parameter of ajaxRequest. In your code event is undefined, which is why it stopped working when you added event.preventDefault()

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

Oh yeah, sorry. If you're going to call event.preventDefault() then your code will need to define that variable call within the function:
code:
function ajaxRequest(event) {
If you log anything along the way in console.log(), you can step through what has run with the browser console as you execute.