Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I see billboards for these metal cards every time I drive up to LA.

http://www.luxurycard.com

I like how they ignored the usual convention for card naming and put their gold (plated) card as the top line. Overall they seem like rip offs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

balancedbias posted:

I like how they ignored the usual convention for card naming and put their gold (plated) card as the top line. Overall they seem like rip offs.

Annual fee of $995. Yup.

Prancing Shoes
Jul 8, 2008
Is there any value to having cards issued by a variety of associations such as MasterCard, Amex, etc? I'm looking at getting a new card simply to minimize the percentage of revolving credit I'm utilizing at any given time, and was wondering if I should get a MasterCard or Amex since my current two cards are both Visa? If it doesn't matter, I'll just look at getting either the Chase Freedom for the rotating category 5% back, or one of the cards that offers 2% back on everything.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
The only time I'd say it matters is if your primary card is an Amex. Visa/MC are accepted everywhere, Amex is accepted like 90% of everywhere.

You already have a Visa, don't sweat it.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

balancedbias posted:

I love that they have "unboxing videos" for each card. It's checking so many boxes for idiots who want a "premium" credit card.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Cheers to Capital One for sending my wife a handwritten congratulations note and a $25 gift card after she called in to update her surname. Very nice customer service touch.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
I got my US Bank Amex Gold for the Global Entry reimbursement, and it's also time for a new mattress.

Yes! Costco has a great-- maybe the actual best value-- foam mattress on sale this month. And just in time to use... my.... Amex.... god dammit.

Guess I'm going to try and churn the Capital One Venture card that I opened back in Jan.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I'm looking for a Visa card (preferably Signature) that's good for average day to day stuff. I've been putting all my spend on a Disney Premier Visa card from Chase (2% on grocery and gas), but we're probably not going to Disney again anytime soon so the Disney bucks I'm earning aren't that useful right now. I'm specifically looking for a Visa as I only have the one Visa card, I have several MC's, Discover, Amex, but would like another Visa card.

We don't travel often so I don't care about air miles, hotel points, or those sort of rewards. Cash back or points good for giftcards are what I'm looking for. I know I'm not maximizing my rewards that way, but airline miles are useless to me, to be honest Regal theater gift cards are a big hit, my kids love the movies and movies got expensive.

My monthly spend is roughly 2500 and it's mostly groceries, gas, Amazon, and a lot of other day to day expenses. We basically run everything we can through the card and PIF every month.

A few sites seem to recommend the BofA Cash Rewards, but I rather not have any sort of relationship with BofA again.

I have a Citi Thankyou that I never use b/c the reward points suck, a product change with Citi might be a possibility if they have a Visa that fits. I may try to PC to the double cash card anyway. My wife has CapOne Venture and Quicksilver cards as well but I think both are MasterCard as well.

Suggestions?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

skipdogg posted:

I'm looking for a Visa card (preferably Signature) that's good for average day to day stuff. I've been putting all my spend on a Disney Premier Visa card from Chase (2% on grocery and gas), but we're probably not going to Disney again anytime soon so the Disney bucks I'm earning aren't that useful right now. I'm specifically looking for a Visa as I only have the one Visa card, I have several MC's, Discover, Amex, but would like another Visa card.

We don't travel often so I don't care about air miles, hotel points, or those sort of rewards. Cash back or points good for giftcards are what I'm looking for. I know I'm not maximizing my rewards that way, but airline miles are useless to me, to be honest Regal theater gift cards are a big hit, my kids love the movies and movies got expensive.

My monthly spend is roughly 2500 and it's mostly groceries, gas, Amazon, and a lot of other day to day expenses. We basically run everything we can through the card and PIF every month.

A few sites seem to recommend the BofA Cash Rewards, but I rather not have any sort of relationship with BofA again.

I have a Citi Thankyou that I never use b/c the reward points suck, a product change with Citi might be a possibility if they have a Visa that fits. I may try to PC to the double cash card anyway. My wife has CapOne Venture and Quicksilver cards as well but I think both are MasterCard as well.

Suggestions?

If the vast majority of your spending is groceries and gas, the BofA Cash rewards probably makes the most mathematical sense.

If you really don't want to do business with BofA, then Chase Freedom / Freedom Unlimited is probably your best bet for a very simple and easy Visa card with cashback. You just have to look at your spending and determine whether the rotating categories on the Freedom are worth missing out on the extra .5% cashback from the Unlimited.

Edit: BofA is also doing a sign on bonus right now for the MLB branded Cash Rewards card. $200 for $500 spend. That is one of the easiest and best sign up bonuses available right now.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Aug 2, 2016

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Edit: BofA is also doing a sign on bonus right now for the MLB branded Cash Rewards card. $200 for $500 spend. That is one of the easiest and best sign up bonuses available right now.

Where are you seeing this?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Rated PG-34 posted:

Where are you seeing this?

https://consumer.bankofamerica.com/USCCapp/Ctl/entry?sc=VACPPL#b

Baddog
May 12, 2001
I like the fidelity visa for easy 2% on everything. I have a lot of cards, but it's the default if I'm not working on min spend or don't have a five percent category.

Honestly gently caress dealing with citi, their support is the worst.

The fidelity is moving from fia (boa) to elan (us bank). We'll see if the service turns terrible. Never had a us bank card before.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Thanks

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
Skipdogg, I keep it simple with the Fidelity 2% cash back. Now that it is Visa its my everywhere card, except where I'll get better rewards with the Chase Freedom (Costco this Q) or Citi Costco card (gas & dining).

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

SiGmA_X posted:

Skipdogg, I keep it simple with the Fidelity 2% cash back. Now that it is Visa its my everywhere card, except where I'll get better rewards with the Chase Freedom (Costco this Q) or Citi Costco card (gas & dining).

I like this idea, especially if I can link the rewards to a 529 for the kids and just forget about them. Now to read up on 529's. My kids are making sweet sweet 1.1% on their CD's right now.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?
How long does it take Membership Reward points to post? I've had this Platinum card for two billing cycles now and haven't had any points posted. I'm not talking about bonus, just regular spend. My HHonors Amex posts points within days of the cycle, sometimes only hours after payment received.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
I am pretty sure MR reward points post the cycle after your payment hits. So like my cycle ends March 29th, I pay my bill March 30th. On April 29th when my next cycle ends, the MR points from my March payment/cycle/whatever hit.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

Untagged posted:

How long does it take Membership Reward points to post? I've had this Platinum card for two billing cycles now and haven't had any points posted. I'm not talking about bonus, just regular spend. My HHonors Amex posts points within days of the cycle, sometimes only hours after payment received.

overdesigned posted:

I am pretty sure MR reward points post the cycle after your payment hits. So like my cycle ends March 29th, I pay my bill March 30th. On April 29th when my next cycle ends, the MR points from my March payment/cycle/whatever hit.

Yeah, I think it's delayed in some way but oddly it seems like bonus MR points (like 2x points for Amazon orders) post separately and faster.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
Im looking to get my first rewards cards and would like some feedback on what would be a good choice. I have a good credit score and a solid employment history with no outstanding debts besides a car payment.

I was looking at the chase sapphire preferred, but am slightly worried about reaching the 4k in three months. I looked at my past credit card history in the last three months and only hit 3k. With Costco now accepting credit that will go up. What other good options I should consider? The travel isnt super important to me, but I understand it's the easiest one to get value from.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

To me, Citi DoubleCash is pretty much the default response for anyone looking for a no-frills, no-fee, simple cash-back program. I don't think that they've done a good signup bonus in a few years though.

waloo
Mar 15, 2002
Your Oedipus complex will prove your undoing.
If you already are Costco member the Citi Costco card might not be bad, too, depending on what you mostly spend on.

sublyme
Mar 21, 2003
lol poker

Spikes32 posted:

Im looking to get my first rewards cards and would like some feedback on what would be a good choice. I have a good credit score and a solid employment history with no outstanding debts besides a car payment.

I was looking at the chase sapphire preferred, but am slightly worried about reaching the 4k in three months. I looked at my past credit card history in the last three months and only hit 3k. With Costco now accepting credit that will go up. What other good options I should consider? The travel isnt super important to me, but I understand it's the easiest one to get value from.

I may get trolled for this, but in the past I've hit high min spends by buying silver from jmbullion (free shipping, small markup for cc purchases). I don't have a ton of cash in precious metals, but it's nice having some, and you can just stick it in a safety deposit box and forget about it. And if you ever need the cash, sell it at any of those cash4gold stores and demand spot value.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

My local grocery store started carrying beer, wine and liquor (which is rare for MA). Now I can get 5% cash back on beer, wine and liquor. Sorry liver.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
Thanks for the recommendations everyone.

WilliamRaineyHarper
Jun 26, 2006

by WE B Boo-ourgeois
Alot of great info in this thread--thanks.
I was wondering if anyone had any advice on how long to wait before closing a credit card?
Enrolling for these signup bonus is great, but I have a few 0 balance cards now that I don't use. I know they aren't causing any problems but I was wondering what general sort of time frame I need to wait before closing them w/o a credit score hit. A year?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

WilliamRaineyHarper posted:

Alot of great info in this thread--thanks.
I was wondering if anyone had any advice on how long to wait before closing a credit card?
Enrolling for these signup bonus is great, but I have a few 0 balance cards now that I don't use. I know they aren't causing any problems but I was wondering what general sort of time frame I need to wait before closing them w/o a credit score hit. A year?

If they have no annual fee you should just cut the card up and keep the account active. If there are many years of inactivity the bank will usually close the account themselves and there is no major credit score hit.

spatula
Nov 6, 2004
Unless there is an annual fee, keep the card open and make a small purchase on it every couple years to keep it alive. Over time it will help your credit score as the age of the accounts grows higher. Or if you're not down with that, you can close it for simplicity and knowing you don't have to deal with it anymore. That's fine too. No reason to wait for any particular time.

If there is an annual fee, canceling is fine whenever. I wait until the annual fee is going to post soon before I call to cancel. Sometimes they will offer to downgrade your card to a no-fee version when you try to cancel due to the fee, and I always take that. Also worth noting that if the annual fee posts when you're not paying attention, you can call and cancel and it will almost always be refunded to you.

I also keep all my credit card info in a spreadsheet, noting if there is an annual fee or not, and the date that I opened the account. It also helps to keep track of rewards. If you're playing the signup bonus game you should definitely be organized about it!

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

quote:

The value of this reward may constitute taxable income to you. You may be issued an Internal Revenue Service Form 1099 (or other appropriate form) that reflects the value of such reward. Please consult your tax advisor, as neither we, nor our affiliates, provide tax advice.

I thought this was for bank account bonuses only.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

No Butt Stuff posted:

I thought this was for bank account bonuses only.

Every rewards sign on bonus I have ever seen has said something like that, but I have never paid tax on it. I'm fairly sure it is only for bank account bonuses, but there may be circumstances where it constitutes income.

I guess it is possible that I have been evading ~$120 in taxes the past year.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Every rewards sign on bonus I have ever seen has said something like that, but I have never paid tax on it. I'm fairly sure it is only for bank account bonuses, but there may be circumstances where it constitutes income.

I guess it is possible that I have been evading ~$120 in taxes the past year.
The banks give you straight cash, whereas CC rewards are seen as rebates on a purchase, but I'd imagine the IRS will look at this if signup bonuses keep growing (they probably won't)

gnrk
Apr 1, 2008
Had a pretty cool interaction with American Express the other day. I used 25,000 Membership Rewards points to book a place on AirBnB, making sure I booked a "flexible cancel" place. I didn't read AirBnB's fine print and when I went to cancel my reservation, I was told I wouldn't be getting my points back. I thought I'd try calling American Express to see if anything could be done, but didn't have my hopes up. They credited my account with 25,000 points on the spot. Didn't ask for proof of my AirBnB cancellation or anything.

So, American Express is great, although it's hard to quantify the quality of their customer service.

Komisar
Mar 31, 2008
To add to the Amex positivity, I just learned yesterday that if you're buying poo poo online from one of a large number of stores, being an Amex cardholder may give you free 2-day shipping:

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/content/shoprunner.html

Pretty nice perk if you don't just buy everything from Amazon already.

becoming
Aug 25, 2004

Planeshifter2 posted:

To add to the Amex positivity, I just learned yesterday that if you're buying poo poo online from one of a large number of stores, being an Amex cardholder may give you free 2-day shipping:

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/content/shoprunner.html

Pretty nice perk if you don't just buy everything from Amazon already.

Yeah, I've been using this with NewEgg and it's pretty ace. One caveat is that not everything is covered - apparently certain sizes/shapes aren't, whereas others are. So I bought a video card and had to pay shipping, but a computer case, power supply, and a few other things were covered. I don't quite get how they pick and choose. Anyway, on NewEgg at least, if an item has the ShopRunner shipping option then you're good to go, but if not, and it's not free shipping otherwise, you are definitely paying to have it shipped.

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice
For the past 15 years I've used the basic gold Amex card for all of our every day purchases and have always paid the balance off in full every month. I'm sad about them losing the Costco business, but otherwise all my interactions with Amex the company have been great - but this card sucks poo poo, right? Is it just as simple as calling them and telling them to convert me over to the Blue Cash Card?

I already have an airline card for my business travel and expenses (SW Chase, probably another terrible card but one thing at a time), so I'm uninterested in travel rewards. Most of our daily expenses are grocery and gas. I will never carry a balance so I don't care about the rate.

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004
I don't think AMEX let's you convert from their "charge cards" (green, gold, platinum) to their "credit cards" (Blue Cash, HiltonHHonors, SPG, etc.). Have you looked at the Premier Rewards Gold card? It's also a charge card, so you should be able to convert your existing account and history over. You earn points on every purchase and bonus categories of restaurants, groceries, gas, and airlines. It might be worth it depending on your usage and points redemption options.

WarMECH fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Aug 15, 2016

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Celador posted:

I don't think AMEX let's you convert from their "charge cards" (green, gold, platinum) to their "credit cards" (Blue Cash, HiltonHHonors, SPG, etc.). Have you looked at the Premier Rewards Gold card? It's also a charge card, so you should be able to convert your existing account and history over. You earn points on every purchase and bonus categories of restaurants, groceries, gas, and airlines. It might be worth it depending on your usage and points redemption options.
Is there an AmEx charge card without an annual fee?

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

This might be the best place to ask:

I received an Amazon rewards card today but I never signed up for it. After calling and getting it deactivated and fraud alert on my ssn, I am left wondering how.

My mortgage is owned by chase (who is behind the Amazon card) and I have an Amazon account but I do not know how anyone would have gotten my ssn or my Amazon account information. Apparently, a coworker of my mother in law had this happen last week.

I contacted chase and their security team is checking it out. I contacted Transunion and had them set up the fraud alert. Anything else I need to do?

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

SiGmA_X posted:

Is there an AmEx charge card without an annual fee?

I don't think so

DeceasedHorse
Nov 11, 2005

pig slut lisa posted:

I don't think so

There is not-lowest tier is the green card.

PRG would be a decent upgrade; has 2x groceries and 3x airfare over the gold card. It effectively has a $100 lower annual fee than the gold as long as the United MPX->Amazon loophole exists.

Whether or not the 15 years of account age on the gold are worth it versus just opening up a brand new PRG are another question.

Also depends on if the membership rewards points are worthwhile to you. If you are just redeeming them for cash back@ .06 cents per point you'd be vastly better off with a blue cash preferred or a citi double cash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice
Thanks Goons, I had no idea that it was a Charge card rather than a Credit card - not that it matters, but it's good to know. And yeah, I've just been redeeming the points to pay off charges all these years, which doesn't seem to be a good value at all. I definitely need to switch. I know closing a card with 15 years of history on it isn't necessarily a good thing, but I have no reason to worry about my credit score in the near or far future, so maybe I shouldn't worry too much about it.