Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

red19fire posted:

No mention of Hobo With A Shotgun? For shame. Though I think HWAS is the definitive 80's B-movie homage, TK is pretty decent.

Kung Fury is like what an 18 year old today thinks 80's movies were like, based entirely on hearsay from Bacon Narwhal LOL reddit comedy.

For the best of the actual 80s B-movie, I humbly suggest Miami Connection.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpZu69OB2KM

Miami Connection is one of my favorite 80's B-Movies, it's just so sincere in it's story. You can always tell when someone is making a bad movie on purpose, it just feels off. I am so happy it was recovered and not forgotten.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Paladinus posted:

Bruce Wayne is Batman.
holy shitballs is this true?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

holy shitballs is this true?

If you pay attention to Batman Begins, there are some very subtle hints, and then they confirmed it in the end of the next film.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

PassTheRemote posted:

Miami Connection is one of my favorite 80's B-Movies, it's just so sincere in it's story. You can always tell when someone is making a bad movie on purpose, it just feels off. I am so happy it was recovered and not forgotten.

And on the inverse this is why Hobo with a Shotgun and Black Dynamite works and Kung Fury doesn't regardless of whether Kung Fury is accurate to 80s movies. It could be its own sophomoric fever dream of vaguely 80s cliches from someone who never understood 80s cliches and still work.

Hobo with a Shotgun and Black Dynamite are trying to make the best version of themselves, even if that version is tongue-in-cheek and wants to be an echo of bad movies. That level of sincerity is what endears the audience to what is happening on-screen. A lot of the "bad movie" jokes are deliberate and heavily artificial, but you cannot fake the sincere affection driving them.

Kung Fury is too detached and too enamored with its own premise to let the audience give a drat about it, and so it only works as an advertisement or YouTube trailer. There's nothing driving the movie underneath beyond a "look at silly stuff." There is nothing for the audience to hang onto and it becomes a high-budget equivalent to one of those talking fruit flash animations from Newgrounds in the early 00s.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.
Kung Fury is the YouTube equivalent of the Cafe 80's from Back To The Future 2.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

Paladinus posted:

Bruce Wayne is Batman.

No, Batman is Bruce Wayne.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ceca1JCRQbA

My Q-Face fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Aug 8, 2016

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

Remake hollow man but w a fatter dick

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

Cube sequel where everyone is autistic except one guy or similarly a snow dogs sequel

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011
Paul Feig is done with reboots, hopefully everyone else in Hollywood will be too.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Reboots will never die. A studio will always opt for rebooting IP they already own over new, untested IP given the chance. Give me a Citizen Kane remake that's actually just a fawning and uncritical portrait of Rupert Murdoch. I welcome death

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves
Reboots and reimaginings have been a thing since the 1910s, they're not going anywhere.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

He means hollywood is done with paul feig

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I want to see authors re-imagine/remake various classics. Why isn't that more of a thing?

Give me Chuck Paulahniuck's Wizard of Oz, Don DeLillo's Dresden Files, and Debbie Macomber's House of Leaves.

Uncle Wemus posted:

He means hollywood is done with paul feig

We should be so lucky. I dug Freaks and Geeks and Bridesmaids but everything else the guy has done lately has been mediocre. Dude needs a break if nothing else.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

mind the walrus posted:

And on the inverse this is why Hobo with a Shotgun and Black Dynamite works and Kung Fury doesn't regardless of whether Kung Fury is accurate to 80s movies. It could be its own sophomoric fever dream of vaguely 80s cliches from someone who never understood 80s cliches and still work.

Hobo with a Shotgun and Black Dynamite are trying to make the best version of themselves, even if that version is tongue-in-cheek and wants to be an echo of bad movies. That level of sincerity is what endears the audience to what is happening on-screen. A lot of the "bad movie" jokes are deliberate and heavily artificial, but you cannot fake the sincere affection driving them.

Kung Fury is too detached and too enamored with its own premise to let the audience give a drat about it, and so it only works as an advertisement or YouTube trailer. There's nothing driving the movie underneath beyond a "look at silly stuff." There is nothing for the audience to hang onto and it becomes a high-budget equivalent to one of those talking fruit flash animations from Newgrounds in the early 00s.

Luckily it's on youtube in its entirety.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS5P_LAqiVg

JFC the production company is LASER UNICORNS gently caress this pile of poo poo. I think they use a VCR tracking error to just skip ahead in the plot at one point, too.

E: Yes, 2:30 in, a tracking error gag.

red19fire fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Aug 8, 2016

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

NutritiousSnack posted:

Paul Feig is done with reboots, hopefully everyone else in Hollywood will be too.

If this is the case, i could see it as an excuse to drop Wiig and McCarthy from a Ghostbuster sequel in a way that everyone looks a bit dignified at the end.

Wiig and McCarthy have worked with Feig more that the other two cast members and are legit film headliners and probably demanded higher paychecks than their two costars, but they also had sort of the least popularity of the new cast.

I don't think anyone is ready to let GB die and they might be hoping that this could an issue akin to the original Austin Powers: A genre comedy that did well relatively enough in theaters, but once it hit home video it became such a big hit that its sequel was a huge blockbuster on release. If GB2016 ends up developing a following in the next year or two, them greenlighting a new film with the GB2016 setting seems possible. That, and they'd probably have learned from what worked and what didn't and would possibly be able to promote it better leading up to release.

How this relates to Wiig and McCarthy: Should Feig not want to come back and direct, and if the studio thinks they're too expensive, a story about about both of them came onto the project only because they wanted to work with Feig and are not sure about continuing on with the vision of a new creative staff could be their good excuse for them to step away from production and Sony possibly has a means of bringing in two cheaper replacements to the cast or just make future GBs with only a team consisting of McKinnon and Jones with Hemsworth as their secretary.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Paladinus posted:

If you pay attention to Batman Begins, there are some very subtle hints, and then they confirmed it in the end of the next film.

Bane confirms it in the third film:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLFAXvFYhsE

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

JediTalentAgent posted:

If this is the case, i could see it as an excuse to drop Wiig and McCarthy from a Ghostbuster sequel in a way that everyone looks a bit dignified at the end.

Wiig and McCarthy have worked with Feig more that the other two cast members and are legit film headliners and probably demanded higher paychecks than their two costars, but they also had sort of the least popularity of the new cast.

I don't think anyone is ready to let GB die and they might be hoping that this could an issue akin to the original Austin Powers: A genre comedy that did well relatively enough in theaters, but once it hit home video it became such a big hit that its sequel was a huge blockbuster on release. If GB2016 ends up developing a following in the next year or two, them greenlighting a new film with the GB2016 setting seems possible. That, and they'd probably have learned from what worked and what didn't and would possibly be able to promote it better leading up to release.

How this relates to Wiig and McCarthy: Should Feig not want to come back and direct, and if the studio thinks they're too expensive, a story about about both of them came onto the project only because they wanted to work with Feig and are not sure about continuing on with the vision of a new creative staff could be their good excuse for them to step away from production and Sony possibly has a means of bringing in two cheaper replacements to the cast or just make future GBs with only a team consisting of McKinnon and Jones with Hemsworth as their secretary.

I don't know why they would keep McKinnon and Jones if they also drop Wiig and McCarthy . If Feig is done Sony will probably let this movie quietly be forgotten before rebooting it again with a different crew like with Spiderman.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

JediTalentAgent posted:

Feig was clearly giving a dignified "I've been NotFired" speech and was going to his self confessed movie jail.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

BexGu posted:

I don't know why they would keep McKinnon and Jones if they also drop Wiig and McCarthy . If Feig is done Sony will probably let this movie quietly be forgotten before rebooting it again with a different crew like with Spiderman.

Because I think those two, specifically, have become sort of iconic of the new film. Love or hate the characters or the film, they're sort of the most popular and memorable aspects of the new film.

Ghostcorps probably has a built-in 'reimagining' system in place with the talk of them wanting to do a shared GB universe with different films under the Ghostcorps banner. They could probably skip doing another film with this cast specifically for a while and do a different cast and settings entirely for a film or two before pulling their Ghostbusters-styled Avengers/JLA superteam film. At which point, i could see them just picking and choosing members from each film for such a project.

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
i saw the wonder woman trailer and she doesn't even wear the american flag on her rear end anymore

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Don't stare at her rear end that's not cool man

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

BexGu posted:

let this movie quietly be forgotten before rebooting it again with a different crew like with Spiderman.

I was not aware of this and caught new-spiderman on hotel cable the other day and it confused the poo poo out of me.

Old spiderman was a lot better.

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!
Feigbusters did not and will not make anywhere near enough money to warrant a sequel for the money it took to make and market. You will see some peripheral GB projects - TV, cartoons, etc. - then they will reboot it again in 3-5 years.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

bongwizzard posted:

I was not aware of this and caught new-spiderman on hotel cable the other day and it confused the poo poo out of me.

Old spiderman was a lot better.

The only decent Spider-Man ever was Civil War Spider-Man. Seriously.

Woden
May 6, 2006

bloodysabbath posted:

Feigbusters did not and will not make anywhere near enough money to warrant a sequel for the money it took to make and market. You will see some peripheral GB projects - TV, cartoons, etc. - then they will reboot it again in 3-5 years.

Sony is pretty good at making terrible decisions though, so they could still do a sequel.

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois
This is the same retarded Sony that's right now aggressively pushing No Man's Buy

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Gorilla Salad posted:

The only decent Spider-Man ever was Civil War Spider-Man. Seriously.

Like they made a spiderman movie set in the ACW?

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

gently caress the ROW posted:

i saw the wonder woman trailer and she doesn't even wear the american flag on her rear end anymore

Well she's not American, she's israeli

Hydrogen_Otter
May 1, 2003

Al Cowens posted:

This is the same retarded Sony that's right now aggressively pushing No Man's Buy

Ironic that they're the only profitable branch of Sony right now. I don't get it either.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

JediTalentAgent posted:

Because I think those two, specifically, have become sort of iconic of the new film. Love or hate the characters or the film, they're sort of the most popular and memorable aspects of the new film.

Ghostcorps probably has a built-in 'reimagining' system in place with the talk of them wanting to do a shared GB universe with different films under the Ghostcorps banner. They could probably skip doing another film with this cast specifically for a while and do a different cast and settings entirely for a film or two before pulling their Ghostbusters-styled Avengers/JLA superteam film. At which point, i could see them just picking and choosing members from each film for such a project.

I think you'r giving Sony too much credit. Sony is not a very smart movie company and after this they are going to freak out and make a kneejerk reaction (Probably try to make the next GB movie into a "marvel" movie) and either reboot the whole thing or continue with the Ghostcorps idea. I really doubt this movie/actors will ever be referenced again or brought up until the franchise needs to be rebooted again. We can easily agree to disagree but after watching Sony think that insulting the people most likely to see a movie franchise is the best marketing move I really don' t think they have any idea what they are doing.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Does anyone remember those Sony emails that got leaked in late 2014? They're a loving trainwreck of a studio.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
ghostbusters fighting Ghost Aliens sounds like a more interesting idea than what we got

it would have been worth it just to see Dan Aykroyd have a massive boner 24/7

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
all ghosts ARE aliens- praise Xenu.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
what was the last good movie Sony Pictures has made, their Wikipedia page doesn't have a list and I'm curious

CharlestonJew posted:

ghostbusters fighting Ghost Aliens sounds like a more interesting idea than what we got

it would have been worth it just to see Dan Aykroyd have a massive boner 24/7

I mean, on the one hand the ghost-aliens plot didn't work so great in Indiana Jones 4, but on the other hand 80s reboots all inexplicably having the ghost-alien plot thread in common would be a fun detail

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

social vegan posted:

Remake hollow man but w a fatter dick

lol

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

loquacius posted:

what was the last good movie Sony Pictures has made, their Wikipedia page doesn't have a list and I'm curious

I think the Shallows was a really good RoI considering how no one ever expects a dumb shark movie to be good and rate well with audiences. Other than that their last 2 years have looked like middling and mediocre box office successes, save maybe Spectre. I have to go all the way back to 22 Jump Street before I find a movie I would say is good without any reservations, and before that Django Unchained.

Other than that it's a dire loving list including Pixels, Aloha, Paul Blart 2, the Angry Birds movie, Money Monster, the Brothers Grimsby, Chappie, Sex Tape, Think Like a Man Too, Amazing Spider-Man 2, The Monuments Men, American Hustle, Robocop, the Smurfs 2, Grown-ups 2 and After Earth. I mean yeah there's also This is the End, Fury, Captain Phillips, Evil Dead, White House Down, The Night Before, The Walk, the Equalizer, the Interview, and Concussion, but those are all the definition of "also-ran" save Captain Phillips.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
poo poo, Sony is in a pinch, and they need a low budget fix that is going to make million with a modest budget. I got it!

Sony should remake Gymkata with one of the girls from the US Olympic Gymnastic team: Its a perfect twofer! Don't have to write a new plot/storyboard AND get to replace the original male lead with a black women!

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

bongwizzard posted:

Like they made a spiderman movie set in the ACW?

Ken Burns presents: The Spider Man

*slow motion pan out of black and white photo of Spiderman while old timey piano tune plays*

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

mind the walrus posted:

I think the Shallows was a really good RoI considering how no one ever expects a dumb shark movie to be good and rate well with audiences. Other than that their last 2 years have looked like middling and mediocre box office successes, save maybe Spectre. I have to go all the way back to 22 Jump Street before I find a movie I would say is good without any reservations, and before that Django Unchained.

Other than that it's a dire loving list including Pixels, Aloha, Paul Blart 2, the Angry Birds movie, Money Monster, the Brothers Grimsby, Chappie, Sex Tape, Think Like a Man Too, Amazing Spider-Man 2, The Monuments Men, American Hustle, Robocop, the Smurfs 2, Grown-ups 2 and After Earth. I mean yeah there's also This is the End, Fury, Captain Phillips, Evil Dead, White House Down, The Night Before, The Walk, the Equalizer, the Interview, and Concussion, but those are all the definition of "also-ran" save Captain Phillips.

I actually quite liked American Hustle because I am a blatant 70s fetishist, and I'd give This Is The End a solid 7/10, but yeah the rest of those are pretty terrible AFAIK (I haven't seen Captain Phillips but it is Supposed To Be Good)

Even with those, the Jump Streets, and Django we're looking at a pretty miserable batting average

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
Chappie was good.

• Locked thread