Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

quote:

America has some absurdly insane IP laws: copyright lasts for 70 years after the death of the author, so roughly 100-120 years for an average lifespan. To put that in perspective, if it were enforced retroactively (it's not, but it's easier to think about), stuff from the 1890s would just now be entering the public domain.
The bearne treaty, which 150 counties signed in 1886, put copyright duration at 50 years post death. The EU, noted home of not America, has copyright duration as 70 years post death

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
Hey guys. Guess what. Vilerat's mom and another set of parent's are suing Hillary.

Defamation of character (of the parents) and something about Hillary's negligence causing their children's death.

Benghazi!

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

EwokEntourage posted:

The bearne treaty, which 150 counties signed in 1886, put copyright duration at 50 years post death. The EU, noted home of not America, has copyright duration as 70 years post death

US got pushed up to 70 in 1998: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyright_Term_Extension_Act

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

More than one positive poll on Georgia makes me quite the happy panda.

Question: how good are our chances of taking back the senate?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

So apparently Donald Trump once withdrew financial support for the medical care of his nephew's cerebral palsy in retaliation for his brother / his nephew's father suing over getting written out of their father's inheritance. Donald Trump with-held medical care from a sick child out of spite.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/donald-trump-revoke-cut-off-child-medical-bills-family-feud-a6795131.html

This is from a NY Times article that ran back in January of this year. Doubt it'll get any traction more than it did in January, other than to cement Trump as a meanie.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

EwokEntourage posted:

Yeah the US doesn't have uniquely bad IP laws.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

I know. I'm just saying, as others beat me to saying, that US laws aren't really anything special

edit: this

Anos posted:

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Anos posted:

Wow, that's disheartening.

Even setting aside copyright term, there's a whole lot else to hate in the TPP's IP chapters.

Edit: For example, agreeing to a treaty would make it harder to change these laws for the better.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
Guys,

Ted Cruz is thinking about leaving the planet

https://twitter.com/NASA_Johnson/status/762749932965097472

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

Hey guys. Guess what. Vilerat's mom and another set of parent's are suing Hillary.

Defamation of character (of the parents) and something about Hillary's negligence causing their children's death.

Benghazi!

Do these people know that they are being manipulated to become political pawns? How likely is it that this will get any traction? I mean the potential defamation, did she even say anything particularly malicious to them? Obviously Clinton didn't really make any big mistakes with regards to the deaths. The GOP went trough a lot of effort to prove her innocence, there.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Aug 8, 2016

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Yes dear, and European countries implemented death plus 70 years before we did. IIRC the first one to do it did it in the 60s, the US was a relative latecomer to the death+70 bar.
For instance, France seems to have already held a death+70 (and death+100 if the author died while at war for france) term by 1985.

ColdPie posted:

Even setting aside copyright term, there's a whole lot else to hate in the TPP's IP chapters.

No there really isn't.

fishmech fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Aug 8, 2016

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I'm pretty sure that counts as a declaration of war to the intergalactic federation of planets.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Seeing Cruz anywhere near NASA pisses me off. The fucker has gone to great lengths to attack them and cut funding at every turn.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Yes, that agrees with fishmech. Read the background section again

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

he has to go now, his planet needs him

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Mr Interweb posted:

Seeing Cruz anywhere near NASA pisses me off. The fucker has gone to great lengths to attack them and cut funding at every turn.

Well if everyone you knew in government wanted to shoot you into the sun you would too.

Franco Potente
Jul 9, 2010

Benghazi!

Per Dave Weigel, the suit was filed by Larry Klayman, who once uttered the immortal line "President Obama, put down the Koran, get up off your knees and come out with your hands up!"

(As Joe always made sure to point out)

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Is there a kickstarter?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

fishmech posted:

Yes dear, and European countries implemented death plus 70 years before we did. IIRC the first one to do it did it in the 60s, the US was a relative latecomer to the death+70 bar.
For instance, France seems to have already held a death+70 (and death+100 if the author died while at war for france) term by 1985.

Point conceded. I also thought the Mickey Mouse Law was more recent than 98.

In other news!

https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/762765466435715072

https://twitter.com/DouthatNYT/status/762772148889026560

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Benghazi!

What exactly are they referring to with the "defamation of character" part?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Mr Interweb posted:

What exactly are they referring to with the "defamation of character" part?

'"During her campaign for President, Defendant Clinton has negligently, recklessly, and/or maliciously defamed Plaintiffs by either directly calling them liars, or by strongly implying that they are liars, in order to protect and enhance her public image and intimidate and emotionally harm and silence them not to speak up about the Benghazi attack on at least four separate occasions,” Larry Klayman, an attorney for the families, wrote in his complaint.'

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

I thought "deep space" was outside of the heliosphere, or at least outside of the outermost planets' orbits? Rubio doesn't deserve a death as cool as slowly going insane from isolation while interstellar radiation fries his brain.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Oh yeah, and Clinton's emails did Benghazi now:

quote:

Having used a secret private email server that we now know was used to communicate with Ambassador Christopher Stevens with confidential and classified government information, and which we also now know was likely hacked by hostile adversaries such as Iran, Russia, China and North Korea aligning with terrorist groups, it is clear that Hillary Clinton allegedly negligently and recklessly gave up the classified location of the plaintiffs' sons, resulting in a deadly terrorist attack that took their lives,” Klayman said in a statement

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

fishmech posted:

No there really isn't.

Thanks for contributing :thumbsup:

ColdPie fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Aug 8, 2016

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Trabisnikof posted:

'"During her campaign for President, Defendant Clinton has negligently, recklessly, and/or maliciously defamed Plaintiffs by either directly calling them liars, or by strongly implying that they are liars, in order to protect and enhance her public image and intimidate and emotionally harm and silence them not to speak up about the Benghazi attack on at least four separate occasions,” Larry Klayman, an attorney for the families, wrote in his complaint.'

I ain't no fancy lawyer, but I wouldn't think those things would classify as defamation.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Inferior Third Season posted:

I thought "deep space" was outside of the heliosphere, or at least outside of the outermost planets' orbits? Rubio doesn't deserve a death as cool as slowly going insane from isolation while interstellar radiation fries his brain.

I think "deep space" in that tweet = beyond the moon which is further than any human has ever gone, not into the kuiper belt and beyond.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Trabisnikof posted:

Oh yeah, and Clinton's emails did Benghazi now:

Does she actually have to waste time on that, or will it just get handled/thrown out by her lawyers?

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

That seems like a fun way to get sanctions put on you. Remind me, was Klayman the one who actually tried to get a minority judge recused because he thought that they would be ethnically biased against his client, resulting in him being barred from the court and sanctioned, or am I mistaking him for another right-wing hack.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Air is lava! posted:

Does she actually have to waste time on that, or will it just get handled/thrown out by her lawyers?

I'm sure it will get handled by her lawyers and also seep into the public consciousness to where in 2 years 10-20% of Americans will believe that hacked emails caused Benghazi.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Contradicting a person's claims is now defamation, welcome to Klayman's World.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

fishmech posted:

You clearly haven't been to Michigan
I haven't! I can say definitively that SC is the worst on the Eastern Seaboard, unless Rhode Island is randomly super awful!

The parts of Utah I've been to were nice but it wasn't very much of Utah, maybe I just missed it.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Trabisnikof posted:

And here's the right wings response to the Khan's.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I didn't know that the consulate was a secret location.

I always thought it was a prominent building that the Ambassador was openly operating out of.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

His mission has failed and he wishes to return home.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Mr Interweb posted:

I ain't no fancy lawyer, but I wouldn't think those things would classify as defamation.

larry klayman's whole thing is that he is constantly suing the president and the government on really dumb charges. he's been doing it for 25+ years

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Popular Thug Drink posted:

larry klayman's whole thing is that he is constantly suing the president and the government on really dumb charges. he's been doing it for 25+ years

Correct, he's also currently suing Obama over starting the race war.

Because when the president of the united states decides to start an anti-police race war (since police are a race), a court order will totally put an end to it.

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Trabisnikof posted:

Remember that Larry Klayman sued his own mother and then blamed the Clinton administration.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Trabisnikof posted:

I'm kinda amazed he hasn't been disbarred.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
The funny thing is that Clinton's private server might have been the only thing NOT to be hacked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Trabisnikof posted:

I'm sure it will get handled by her lawyers and also seep into the public consciousness to where in 2 years 10-20% of Americans will believe that hacked emails caused Benghazi.

Haha you say that like 10-20% of Americans don't already believe that.

• Locked thread