Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

Air is lava! posted:

Does she actually have to waste time on that, or will it just get handled/thrown out by her lawyers?

Let's Go To The List!

quote:

In 2010, Klayman represented Vincent Forras in a lawsuit against Feisal Abdul Rauf to prevent the building of the so-called "Ground Zero mosque." In the motion to dismiss, Rauf's attorney called Klayman an "infamous publicity hound" and wrote that Forras "trades in his well deserved laurels for fifteen minutes of fame as a nationally recognized bigot." Klayman and Forras sought sanctions, but the court denied that request and dismissed the suit.[55] Klayman and Forras then sued Rauf and his attorney for defamation. The judge ruled this second lawsuit was a SLAPP suit

quote:

In April 2011, Klayman filed a lawsuit against Facebook, accusing the social media website of "negligence" for not responding quickly enough to calls to take down an anti-Israel "Third Intifada" page and demanding $1 billion in damages.

quote:

In October 2014, Klayman sued the Obama administration, claiming that it secretly allowed the Ebola virus to enter the United States so it could be used against Americans of the "Caucasian race and Jewish-Christian religion".

quote:

In March 2016, Klayman applied in the United States District Court for the District of Nevada for permission to represent Cliven Bundy in the criminal case stemming from the 2014 Bundy standoff.[83] Chief Judge Gloria Navarro denied Klayman's request, citing his failure to fully disclose the extent of his prior professional discipline

quote:

In the wake of the 2016 shooting of Dallas police officers, Klayman filed a lawsuit against Obama, former U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder, Nation of Islam leader Louis Farrakhan, Al Sharpton, and some of the founders of the Black Lives Matter movement, alleging they had incited a "race war" that led to the shooting

quote:

In 2009, Klayman was involved in a custody dispute with his ex-wife. In 2012, the City Pages and Phoenix New Times newspapers reported on the case, and Klayman sued them for defamation. In 2015, a federal judge dismissed Klayman's defamation lawsuit, finding Klayman failed to prove that the newspapers published the articles with actual malice.[87] In May 2016, the United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit affirmed the district court's dismissal

quote:

In 1998, Klayman sued his mother for $50,000, seeking reimbursement for medical care provided to his maternal grandmother. After Klayman's brother told Newsweek magazine of the lawsuit, Klayman alleged that the Clinton White House was responsible for the magazine acquiring the information

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Trabisnikof posted:

'"During her campaign for President, Defendant Clinton has negligently, recklessly, and/or maliciously defamed Plaintiffs by either directly calling them liars, or by strongly implying that they are liars, in order to protect and enhance her public image and intimidate and emotionally harm and silence them not to speak up about the Benghazi attack on at least four separate occasions,” Larry Klayman, an attorney for the families, wrote in his complaint.'

Nothing says "strong legal threat" like "She either did one thing or this other thing, maybe four times? i'unno."

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

fishmech posted:

Or utah, where their solution for damaged roads is to just put up a permanent sign telling you "ROAD DAMAGE AHEAD" and call it good on major interstates
That's not true, just drive anywhere here in the summertime and see all the loving orange barrels funneling traffic down into 1 lane while they work on the other 3 :downs:

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Bushiz posted:

Let's Go To The List!

Can a lawyer face any kind of repercussions for repeatedly filing these sort of frivolous impossible lawsuits?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Yinlock posted:

Nothing says "strong legal threat" like "She either did one thing or this other thing, maybe four times? i'unno."

it must be solid. the man went to law school. have you?

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Pakled posted:

Can a lawyer face any kind of repercussions for repeatedly filing these sort of frivolous impossible lawsuits?

Disbarment.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Pakled posted:

I'm not sure if the Constantly Sue Everything era of the USA is over yet, but they have a strong history of suing everyone for everything, I think someone actually successfully sued a fast food chain or snack company for making them fat. Being really stupid led to fantastic cash prizes.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

PenguinKnight posted:

he has to go now, his planet needs him

But space is up?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Pakled posted:

Yes. He really should have been disbarred long ago. Maybe the DC bar is afraid of looking political.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

PhazonLink posted:

But space is up?

yes, :thejoke:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Bushiz posted:

Let's Go To The List!
Amazing that this man gets to keep his law license but others have been disbarred for much less.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
There's a million other lovely lawyers filing lovely lawsuits everyday, plus pro se parties and countless bs bar complaints. Never be surprised someone isn't disbarred

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

I think you misunderstood his followup joke there.

Matlock Birthmark fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Aug 9, 2016

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

:lol:

:eyepop: :eyepop: :eyepop: :eyepop: :eyepop: :eyepop: :eyepop: :eyepop: :eyepop: :eyepop:

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Lol, I can't believe that Pence, my shithead evangelical Governor who beats orphans to death with a Bible every morning just to get up, released a statement saying that under Trump, only Atheists would be welcome to immigrate here

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Yinlock posted:

I'm not sure if the Constantly Sue Everything era of the USA is over yet, but they have a strong history of suing everyone for everything, I think someone actually successfully sued a fast food chain or snack company for making them fat. Being really stupid led to fantastic cash prizes.

im sure if you take more than 30 seconds there's probably more to that case

sort of like that "that woman sued mcdonalds because her coffee was too hot :smug:" case that always gets trotted out which conveniently leaves out that the woman got third degree burns all over her crotch and was crippled for years afterwards

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

It would something else if both seaboards became Dem strongholds.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Yinlock posted:

To play devil's advocate for a moment, I can see that being legit if the chain was misleading about the health benefits of it's product.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

oh my god if sc flips too

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

Jesus Christ, SC is in play?

:pseudo: This is good for Trumpcoin because

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Boon posted:

To play devil's advocate for a moment, I can see that being legit if the chain was misleading about the health benefits of it's product.

I could be easily wrong, but I /think/ this has happened already.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

If SC flips I'm going to ejaculate like a geyser.

It'll never happen though. This state is loving insanely stupid. Like Florida Man stupid, but it applies to men/women/children.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Bushiz posted:

Let's Go To The List!

It seems like there's a mysterious 8 year gap in his "suing the President" activities.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Business Gorillas posted:

im sure if you take more than 30 seconds there's probably more to that case

sort of like that "that woman sued mcdonalds because her coffee was too hot :smug:" case that always gets trotted out which conveniently leaves out that the woman got third degree burns all over her crotch and was crippled for years afterwards

She was in the right there yeah. Though that case DID lead to idiots trying to get fabulous coffee dollars insurance-scam style though.

The Circle of Dumb Lawsuits works as such: Legitimate complaint that sounds really dumb on the surface - media only reports the surface and it's big cash prizes - idiots get cartoon dollar signs in their eyes and it's sue-o-clock for everyone.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Pretty sure this is going to be the high water mark.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."

FLIP! FLIP! FLIP!

:munch:

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Yes. He really should have been disbarred long ago. Maybe the DC bar is afraid of looking political.

They've censured him publicly in the past, as has the Florida bar, and he's quite possibly molested his children according to an Ohio magistrate judge (as part of a child custody dispute.). Also he regularly winds up forced to pay attorney's fees to the other side, and has been refused permission to represent parties in some courts due to his disciplinary record.

Disbarment will probably come sooner or later.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Well it really can't get much higher until November 8th, so.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Trabisnikof posted:

I'll take a Utah

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Zwabu posted:

It seems like there's a mysterious 8 year gap in his "suing the President" activities.

In fairness to Klayman, he sued the Bush administration (and NRSC/NRCC too.). Also Cheney for the energy task force and some miscellaneous NSA/PATRIOT stuff.

He has also sued Orly Taitz and his own mother.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Mr Interweb posted:

Question: how good are our chances of taking back the senate?

I couldn't find any sort of site or utility that gives a total probability based on up-to-date polling, and the top google hits are mostly articles several months old. The best I could come up with is an market-based predictor site that's like Intrade was except you can't bet actual money on it. The current number is a 62% chance that the Republicans retain Senate, but I have no idea if it's worth a drat.

http://www.pivit.io/politics/2016-us-senate-majority/5365

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Trabisnikof posted:

Might be a blue MO or lighter red TX but, yeah, it's probably close. I'd bet a lot on Trump winning SC.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Kalman posted:

He has also sued his own mother.
Okay, so he is a cartoon villain. That sounds like a cliche you'd say as hyperbole.
To be fair, there are legitimate reasons to sue your parents, but I highly doubt that happened here.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Epic High Five posted:

Lol, I can't believe that Pence, my shithead evangelical Governor who beats orphans to death with a Bible every morning just to get up, released a statement saying that under Trump, only Atheists would be welcome to immigrate here
Ah sweet! (an atheist sick of victorian bullshit)

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Kalman posted:

In fairness to Klayman, he sued the Bush administration (and NRSC/NRCC too.). Also Cheney for the energy task force and some miscellaneous NSA/PATRIOT stuff.

He has also sued Orly Taitz and his own mother.

Klayman V. Taitz must have been magical. I would've let that go on for as long as possible.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Grouchio posted:

Ah sweet! (an atheist sick of victorian bullshit)

no, theyre just expanding the scope to cover everyone from certain nations, because while repugnant, that might actually be legal

Raiad
Feb 1, 2005

Without the law, there wouldn't be lawyers.

I'm just going to take from this data that there is a 4.6 percent chance of Planet X coming and wiping the coasts out during the temporary stop of the Earths rotation.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
The nowcast on 538 really isn't a very valuable indicator for anything other than present trends.

I prefer to temper my expectations with their polls-plus forecast, which has Hillary at merely 78.3% to win at the moment.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Counterpoint: Curt Schilling would actually win Massachusetts.

Conversely, I'm sad that Rhode Island is so insignificant that his campaign bus probably wouldn't have to stop there.

I'd really like to see a Curt Schilling stump speech in Rhode Island.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Trabisnikof posted:

'"During her campaign for President, Defendant Clinton has negligently, recklessly, and/or maliciously defamed Plaintiffs by either directly calling them liars, or by strongly implying that they are liars, in order to protect and enhance her public image and intimidate and emotionally harm and silence them not to speak up about the Benghazi attack on at least four separate occasions,” Larry Klayman, an attorney for the families, wrote in his complaint.'

This is really depressing. The woman is clearly emotionally disturbed from her son's death and is just being used as an attack vector by whatever right wing hack thinks will get them attention.

• Locked thread