Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Or just go whole hog with stealing from Endless Legend and have stacks that cap out at a certain number of units and then play a combat minigame to determine combat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

berenzen posted:

Or just go whole hog with stealing from Endless Legend and have stacks that cap out at a certain number of units and then play a combat minigame to determine combat.

This, except without the minigame. Tactical combat in EL is the biggest drag.

I would really like a system that somehow took your economic and technological throughput and converted it into some sort of power projection, with at most some high-level strategic decision-making. I have never been into Civ for the wargame-type play.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Powercrazy posted:

Why do people hate stacks so much? They allow the AI to actually put up a challenge which seems like everyone should enjoy...oh wait. I get it. :(

Because I don't care if an AI is having fun or not.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

berenzen posted:

Endless Legend's combat was unimaginably terrible in every conceivable way. It took forever, the AI was just as bad and exploitable as Civ V, it was crammed full of pointlessly complicated fiddly bullshit, battlefield spawns routinely hosed up... I'm really struggling to think of any redeeming factors at all. After the first playthrough I pretty much automated every single combat except when I wanted to cheese the AI to win fights I had no business winning.

As an automated engine, the idea of throwing limited stacks against each other with minor bonuses for having reinforcing units in the neighborhood worked out ok, but they still could have stripped out 90% of the combat mechanics and had a superior combat system.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Endless Legend was a giant ball of great ideas executed just well enough that it was playable.

Except winter. Winter was loving stupid.

The Human Crouton fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Aug 8, 2016

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I would really like a system that somehow took your economic and technological throughput and converted it into some sort of power projection, with at most some high-level strategic decision-making. I have never been into Civ for the wargame-type play.

Oh my god, all my money for this. Something like:
  • Your highest combat tech is Gunpowder (base strength 200)
  • The fight is in neutral terrain (no modifier)
  • Your closest city is 8 units away, but you have the Supply Lines tech (-16% strength)
  • You have spent 5 city-turns' worth of production on supplies and units (+5% strength)
  • You are attacking a city with walls (+25% enemy strength)

et cetera, and then they just compare numbers and the bigger number wins. Make the game be about city-building, opportunity costs, and picking the right time to strike, not about shuffling units around.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

so uh Through The Ages

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I quite like Seven Wonders, where you just compare the military scores of your neighbours with your periodically and get points if yours is higher.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

• Your closest city is 8 units away, but you have the Supply Lines tech (-16% strength)
  • You have spent 5 city-turns' worth of production on supplies and units (+5% strength)

et cetera, and then they just compare numbers and the bigger number wins. Make the game be about city-building, opportunity costs, and picking the right time to strike, not about shuffling units around.

Ok, it could be a bit more engaging than Spreadsheet Championship, but it's definitely the direction civ should take.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Rexides posted:

Ok, it could be a bit more engaging than Spreadsheet Championship, but it's definitely the direction civ should take.

It always struck me as odd that military operations were basically a totally different game from the rest of the game.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I think part of the reason that military works the way it does in civ is to give you something to do every turn, though. You've got long term planning and improving tiles inside your borders which all take multiple turns, and then you can do things militarily every turn. Even if you're not at war, there's barbarians to poke. Civ is just a collection of fairly shallow systems, so if you replaced the military game with what you're suggesting you'd mostly just be dealing with like, optimising tile improvements, which on its own doesn't actually sound that fun to me because it isn't a very deep system in Civ. I'm not saying that the military game is actually that fun in practice, mind you, but I think that's the idea behind it.

I'd like a historical city builder, but I don't think it should be Civ.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Its fun to build and command your armies. Its not fun when even moving then around is a pain, like it is in Civ 5

1UPT was a terrible idea. You either have tactical combat (like MoM, AoW and Endeless Legend), or you dont. Personally, Ive rather have something like EU

edit: and by that I mean: no tactical combat, but more strategy depth then "pile up a lot of units"

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Aug 8, 2016

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Man, we had this same conversation on page one of this very thread, and nothing got resolved then either

Obviously this means that the truth is somewhere in the middle

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Teron D Amun posted:

how were stacks of doom even remotely fun, hell the game even automatically put the unit thats best at defending against the current attack type in place for you

Well "fun" is subjective, but I don't see what "the best defensive unit defends" has to do with that.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Powercrazy posted:

Well "fun" is subjective, but I don't see what "the best defensive unit defends" has to do with that.

Seriously, that was literally the only reason to stack units in civ4. Otherwise it was sub-optimal to expose units to more collateral damage than necessary by stacking up.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
You all forget that civ4 combat is not just about stacks, but also about one-turn wins or losses. Unlike civ5 combat which is about dealing damage within a certain range of values

Therefore, civ4 combat has not only a chess-like component, but also has a poker-like component. You know the approximate odds, and some of their hand, and you can tilt odds in your favour with some clever play, but ultimately you want to work on increasing the size of your pot so you can clean them out.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Panzeh posted:

Seriously, that was literally the only reason to stack units in civ4. Otherwise it was sub-optimal to expose units to more collateral damage than necessary by stacking up.

Big stacks are also better at protecting the units that are capable of retreating from combat. And of course for defending cities.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I greatly prefer Civ5's combat to Civ4's. I just wish the AI wasn't completely useless at it.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Phobophilia posted:

You all forget that civ4 combat is not just about stacks, but also about one-turn wins or losses. Unlike civ5 combat which is about dealing damage within a certain range of values

Therefore, civ4 combat has not only a chess-like component, but also has a poker-like component. You know the approximate odds, and some of their hand, and you can tilt odds in your favour with some clever play, but ultimately you want to work on increasing the size of your pot so you can clean them out.

True. There were also some neat tricks you could do with cavalry vs siege weapons, and of course various sources of collateral damage especially in the late game (bombers, tactical nukes) made "stacks of doom" giant liabilities unless you were very strategic with your invasion planning. Not too mention that you had the previous 250 turns to build your advantage with minimal combat if you were good at the game.

Also one turn combat was much preferable imo. Two unit's enter, one unit leaves* :black101:

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Panzeh posted:

Splitting your stacks was asking to be defeated in detail, and this is not a trade off for saving a sliver of health.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I think I just find EU4 combat fundamentally more satisfying than anything Civ can realistically do

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Jay Rust posted:

Man, we had this same conversation on page one of this very thread, and nothing got resolved then either

Obviously this means that the truth is somewhere in the middle

Welcome to a video game sequel anticipation thread on SA.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I think 1 UPT would be better received of multiplayer was better.

Trasson posted:

That's impossible. An AI good enough to win is an AI that knows that step 1 of winning is bringing down the leader.

Not necessarily. You don't like, have to give it sentience to get it to just play well. I don't necessarily try to bring down the leader in every game like this I play. Instead of tearing down somebody else you can just better yourself.

Of course, the best AI would ratfuck the poo poo out of everything and try to screw you over in every way possible, but I don't think that should be the default system.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

A good AI would just ragequit once it realizes that it cannot win.

Ulvino
Mar 20, 2009
Scythia's video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PfDkGcSNE0

This means no Mongols in vanilla, but I welcome our new steppe overlords.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
The Kurgan

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I welcome our new, fabulous barbarian overlords

EDIT:
UA: Building Light cavalry or their UU (The Saka Horse Archer) gives two units instead of one.
Leader Ability (Tomyris): All units receive a bonus against wounded units and heal a little after a kill.
Agenda: Hates surprise declarations of war.
UU, Saka Horse Archer: Highly mobile and doesn't require horse resources to construct. (15 Combat Strength, 25 Ranged Strength, 1 Range, 4 Movement, Costs 100 production (technically 50 since you get two), becomes available during the Classical era)
UI, Kurgan: Gives faith and gold with a bonus for being built next to pastures. Can't be built on hills or next to each other. (Seems like it on it's own gives 1 faith, bonus yield might be 1 faith per surrounding pasture)

Dat UA :stare:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Gabriel Pope posted:

EDIT:
UA: Building Light cavalry or their UU (The Saka Horse Archer) gives two units instead of one.
Leader Ability (Tomyris): All units receive a bonus against wounded units and heal a little after a kill.
Agenda: Hates surprise declarations of war.
UU, Saka Horse Archer: Highly mobile and doesn't require horse resources to construct. (15 Combat Strength, 25 Ranged Strength, 1 Range, 4 Movement, Costs 100 production (technically 50 since you get two), becomes available during the Classical era)
UI, Kurgan: Gives faith and gold with a bonus for being built next to pastures. Can't be built on hills or next to each other. (Seems like it on it's own gives 1 faith, bonus yield might be 1 faith per surrounding pasture)

The Mongols called, they want their title as supreme cavalry masters back.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Cythereal posted:

The Mongols called, they want their title as supreme cavalry masters back.

Genghis gonna have to step up his hair game if he wants to compete widdat

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Tomyris is cool and I'm glad more people will learn about her now but I was really not expecting the Scythians (who historically did approximately gently caress all) as one of the first civs.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

scythia is a pretty exciting out of nowhere choice, even if its kinda taking the place of the mongols

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
out of nowhere choices are cool and good

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I can't wait to see the YouTube comments on this Civ video

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Gabriel Pope posted:

EDIT:

So half the hammer cost, essentially. I wonder if you can still donate units to city states because this could turn out to be an efficient method for building allies

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I can't wait to see the YouTube comments on this Civ video

"feminists!!"

summed it up for ya

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Scythia looks like a fun civ to play as. :toot:

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 36 hours!
Scythia is gonna be boss.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Is it me or do cities have two health bars? Anyone know what that's about?

Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

Gabriel Pope posted:

This is the first female leader design I've seen so far that I don't absolutely hate, so maybe there's still hope. Then again, Scythia also seems like a very fun civ to play, and if I played as them I wouldn't get to see much of their leader anyway.

So torn about what's been revealed about the game so far. Some changes and features seem intriguing, map-like fog of war is awesome and I'm really liking the whole districts mechanic, but I really loved the Art Deco aesthetics and more realistic-looking leaders of Civ V. In fact, the look of that game was my favourite of all Civs by far, so I'm finding the more cartoony style of Civ VI really unappealing in comparison, especially when it comes to leaders. Doesn't help that Cleopatra and Queen Victoria look like they're about one step away from breaking into Dreamworks smugfaces whereas the leader of Japan and Montezuma seem much less cartoony.

Seeing as I spend just as much if not more time playing Civ games to relax and build pretty-looking empires rather than for the gameplay itself, it looking pretty just in a right way is a very, very serious concern. :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwaint
Oct 22, 2010

"Music is the truth. Just listen..."
Pretty sure walls have their own individual health bar now.