Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

VectorSigma posted:

is there a godwin's law but for guns

“Whoever draws their gun first loses wins the argument.”

e: As the first post on this page it is my duty to recommend that we stop talking about guns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
/\/\/\ good plan. Just one more, and it's OSHA & Guns

C.M. Kruger posted:

More answers!

Thanks to both of you! All good points. Sorry thread for wandering close to a guns derail.

I went looking for a gif or a video or something about somebody who works with firearms shooting themselves accidentally to bring this back to OSHA, but I found this undated news story that includes a lovely little quote:

quote:

“I was so sad to hear he was hurt,” she said. “Luckily, it only hit his foot. It’s ironic, he’s a foot doctor.”

kicktd
Jul 6, 2007

The trouble with weather forecasting is that it's right too often for us to ignore it and wrong too often for us to rely on it.

HEY NONG MAN posted:

One time I saw an EMT take a corner super hard and as he did so, one of the exterior gear bays flew open and a HUGE black bag landed in the middle of the road.

Couple minutes later some guy comes bolting down the street to get it.

No worse than losing 300 feet of brand new hose and nozzle off the engine while going down the road because the person who put it on the truck forgot to make sure it was properly secured :downs:. A lot of poo poo happens at ambulance bases and fire stations that I'm sure OSHA would have a field day over.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

RandomPauI posted:

I have a few OSHA stories that are lame and sad.

I'm doing survival work pushing carts to supplement SSDI. We're supposed to do no more than 10 carts at a time, with our electric cart pushing up to 20 carts at a time. Except the store where I work doesn't have the training materials for the electric cart pusher or anyone qualified to train people how to operate and maintain it. So all the cart pushers just have to accept we'll be pushing more than 10 carts at a time and that all the managers will be okay with that.

Saturday it got to the point where I had to keep pushing more than 20 carts at a time to keep up. At closing I wound up struggling to get 42 carts at once out of the lot and into cart overflow. I figured I'd wind up having to clock out out late if I tried to do it in two or three batches. I still clocked out late but not late enough to get in trouble. Today I reached out to the company that makes the electric cart pusher so I could order the DVD myself out of pocket.

I've also been swarmed by dogs doing a perimeter check in unlit sections of the parking lot (bring your own flashlight), made unauthorized repairs with zip ties so a broken cart corral could be safer and functional (It'd been broke for a while), and had a guy stop his car under a foot away from my knee. I was getting a cart from a parking spot in the daytime wearing a visibility vest. There were dozens of spots to choose from, many of those spots were closer to the store. But he decided to just drive into the space I was in. And he just stared right at me, like I was nothing. No apology or anything.

All the old cart pushers left at the same time which makes me wonder if they quit because of conditions or if they were fired around the same time they'd qualify for a raise. Either way I've started on an exit plan.

Honestly the dead look in your avatar's eyes combine well with this story. Hope you make it out of that bullshit safe, and maybe report them afterwards. :)

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Went looking for a video of an old man demonstrating how to fire his gun by letting the bolt slam shut, and found something faker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwr0KozRbeQ

nomad2020 fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Aug 9, 2016

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

nomad2020 posted:

Went looking for a video of an old man demonstrating how to fire his gun by letting the bolt slam shut, and found something better.

That's a feature.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

The Bananana posted:

That's a fake

Fixed

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

I tried.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

holy poo poo.

smgdh

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

nomad2020 posted:

Went looking for a video of an old man demonstrating how to fire his gun by letting the bolt slam shut, and found something faker.

hair scare trigger

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

nomad2020 posted:

Friends don't let friends buy Taurus.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/239m-final-settlement-approved-taurus-195300447.html

quote:

A federal judge in Miami gave final approval to a settlement negotiated in the class action lawsuit brought against Taurus International that alleged faulty design in a number of pistols that make them likely to discharge when dropped, even with the manual safety engaged, and allow them to be fired with the safety in the on position.

Brazil builds firearms like they build everything else.

As for the video being fake, reporting on the firearms blogs is that a Brazilian police force in Sao Paolo recalled 98,000 Taurus PT 24/7 pistols and sent them back to Taurus for repairs. The video's originally from a Brazilian news station (which of course doesn't mean it's *not* fake, but it's entirely possible for a gun to be just that lovely).

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Aug 9, 2016

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Phanatic posted:

Friends don't let friends buy Taurus.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/239m-final-settlement-approved-taurus-195300447.html

Brazil builds firearms like they build everything else.

As for the video being fake, reporting on the firearms blogs is that a Brazilian police force in Sao Paolo recalled 98,000 Taurus PT 24/7 pistols and sent them back to Taurus for repairs. The video's originally from a Brazilian news station (which of course doesn't mean it's *not* fake, but it's entirely possible for a gun to be just that lovely).

There was also a submachine gun that would fire when you loaded it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6Ts_oh8X18
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzYYKM59BuU

And one that would fire on full auto when set to semi-auto.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5Ncm0wKk9U

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

So you have a jam?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POnZTsqM79k

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
killer guns

treasure bear
Dec 10, 2012

sometimes i put a gun into my mouth and kiss + lick it a bit and go mwah mwah mwah but its safe because of expert trigger discipline

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
idk man those brazilians had good discipline

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

C.M. Kruger posted:

IIRC generally the usual phone polls have continued to indicate something like a 52% ownership rate nationwide, going by whatever magic they use to apply the responses of a few thousand people to the national average. (And of course that's also subject to people lying because why would you tell some random person on the phone you own guns? It could be somebody looking for burglary targets.)

It's called introductory statistics/ probability, the theory behind it is the same as why you get roughly an even number of heads and tails when you flip a coin a couple hundred times. The average of polls is even more accurate and is basically never wrong unless there's something systemically biasing all the polls (this was part of what happened in the michigan primary polling). Polling seems to be complete magic as far as the general public is concerned but the basic concept is fairly simple and can be easily simulated by rolling some dice or flipping a coin a lot of times or a couple lines of computer code.

What's interesting is that not only does it work even when the population is much larger than the sample, it's actually an assumption that the population should be infinite for the results to work out theoretically (but n << N is good enough). With normal polling methodology you'd run into problems if your population wasn't big enough relative to your sample size.

tsa fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Aug 9, 2016

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXhlUXMFyc0

Whoops.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Oil rig my rear end, I know a Kronos when I see one. The human race is dooooooomed. :tinfoil:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ErOqYD-i3Q&t=89s

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

EKDS5k posted:

On trucks there is no difference. They run off the same air supply, and are the same brake pads. If the system loses main pressure for whatever reason then the brakes apply automatically, via a massive spring in the actuator. You need system pressure to release them.

On any truck I've driven* that applied only to the parking brake, not the service brakes.

* A grand total of maybe three different types, 30+ years ago. :corsair:

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Isn't that basically what happened to that 8 year old who accidentally shot himself at a gun show? Except it was an Uzi?

Also, the 9 year old who accidentally shot the instructor in Nevada.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

FIRST TIME posted:

Isn't that basically what happened to that 8 year old who accidentally shot himself at a gun show? Except it was an Uzi?

Also, the 9 year old who accidentally shot the instructor in Nevada.

Yeah, it's just funnier when it happens to a grown adult with a comically oversized revolver or rifle.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

quote:

Some, as yet unconfirmed, posts on social media indicated that a number of eyewitnesses had claimed that the boy had been decapitated.

He climbed aboard a blue raft containing two other people. When a metal gate opened, he plummeted down the slide at about 96km/h before hurtling up and over a second hill.

"Witnesses describe the boy going down the steep 168-foot drop of the world's tallest water slide Sunday afternoon, then going airborne over the next hill, colliding with a safety net," KSHB reported.

A section of netting on the far side of the second hill was removed by a fire crew after the incident, presumably to preserve evidence. The blue raft was also taken into custody.

KSHB reported that "more than one water park guest" said the harness on the ride was not working before the incident.

"A lady in front of me said that multiple times she rode the ride today, the Verruckt, and that the front harness did not work any of the times that she rode it," Jessica Lundquist told the TV station.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

dis astranagant posted:

Yeah, it's just funnier when it happens to a grown adult with a comically oversized revolver or rifle.

Well yeah, that and it's funnier when it doesn't result in dead children.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

treasure bear posted:

sometimes i put a gun into my mouth and kiss + lick it a bit and go mwah mwah mwah but its safe because of expert trigger discipline

You dumbass.

You're only supposed to do this with a Neutrona Pistol and Proton Pack.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

SynthOrange posted:

quote:

"A lady in front of me said that multiple times she rode the ride today, the Verruckt, and that the front harness did not work any of the times that she rode it," Jessica Lundquist told the TV station.

Why would someone keep going back on a ride when they knew it was broken. :psyduck:

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
^^^^
Which forces are that? UK?

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Why would someone keep going back on a ride when they knew it was broken. :psyduck:

Sunk cost fallacy. "I already paid for the park/ride tickets and i am going to get my value out of it even if it kills me."

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Hoping for an accident and big payoff

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

treasure bear posted:

The boys from Brazil pull out game looks pretty weak though.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~

[/quote]

I think it's similar to how millennials will cross the street without even looking for traffic. If they get hit, it's someone else's fault therefore they have no responsibility to look out for their own safety. They ignore the fact it can result in their own death because it is "somebody else's problem". Even if that's the case, it isn't going to bring your dead rear end alive again.

Not that the kid who died was guilty of that, but I see it all the time these days. "If I'm not legally liable it's not my problem." See also people who do not brake when a car pulls in front of them because they had the right of way. I've seen idiots speed up and honk when a car tries to illegally turn left front of them, because they think that having the right of way means they don't have an obligation to yield the right of way to prevent a collision.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NG-uY2wze2Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9ocX79SYWg

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

Mithaldu posted:

^^^^

Sunk cost fallacy. "I already paid for the park/ride tickets and i am going to get my value out of it even if it kills me."

Nah mate that's not the SA-80.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Meta Ridley posted:

I think it's similar to how millennials will cross the street without even looking for traffic. If they get hit, it's someone else's fault therefore they have no responsibility to look out for their own safety. They ignore the fact it can result in their own death because it is "somebody else's problem". Even if that's the case, it isn't going to bring your dead rear end alive again.

Not that the kid who died was guilty of that, but I see it all the time these days. "If I'm not legally liable it's not my problem." See also people who do not brake when a car pulls in front of them because they had the right of way. I've seen idiots speed up and honk when a car tries to illegally turn left front of them, because they think that having the right of way means they don't have an obligation to yield the right of way to prevent a collision.

Wait are there states where the fault isn't automatically given to any car whose front impacts the back of another?

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
I've been told/read different things in different states; taking a quick peek on google confirms this. Evidently I never understood the law well, unfortunately; my home state of Kentucky is one where fault doesn't even apply to bodily injury in an accident; you (supposedly) lose some of your right to sue the at-fault driver for things like medical bills, which your insurance is supposed to cover without question, but then fault can still apply in assessing/getting recompense for vehicle damage.

I'm pretty sure most states also allow for exceptions in automatic fault for clear extenuating circumstances, such as in multi-vehicle accidents precipitated by a single driver. Frequently it seems to be up to police reports to determine fault in an accident; this is how someone I know ended up paying mostly out of pocket for an accident in which another driver nearly killed them, because the police report was filled with wild inconsistencies further exaggerated when none of their testimony in court matched the details of the incident either. This lead, to my understanding, to fault for vehicle damage being assigned equally and medical costs left to each driver, which didn't turn out well when it was a passenger car being t-boned by a large truck, if I remember the details correctly.

E: When I say 'wild inconsistencies', I mean information like drivers' names in the date field, weather described as 'sunny' in the evening of a day that was rainy across the entire state, etc. When I was told the story, they said the officer claimed to be on the closing hours of something like 36 continuous hours of work without sleep. That's actually kind of an OSHA detail of the story in and of itself.

Shady Amish Terror fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Aug 9, 2016

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Terrible Opinions posted:

Wait are there states where the fault isn't automatically given to any car whose front impacts the back of another?
De jure there are several cases where that doesn't apply, concerning right of way or breaking a law to put the striker in the situation in the first place. My only accident was a glancing blow after someone turned right on red, the police gave no citation but required the other party to report it through their insurance and I ended up getting $400 to repair a $50 headlight.

De facto its a good assumption that you are likely to get faulted if your front hit someone else no matter the specific laws at play, so the basis of defensive driving is to do everything in your power to not strike someone no matter the laws.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Probably because it's hard to estimate the bayesian probability of getting decapitated from something where you're never really sure what the normal operating state is and hasn't killed anyone yet.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Anyone who's ever played Roller Coaster Tycoon knows that a second hill on a waterslide is going to 100% kill someone, some day.

porkinson
Jan 20, 2015

Mithaldu posted:

^^^^

Poland.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Sion posted:

Nah mate that's not the SA-80.

If it was, they wouldn't have to worry. The magazine would have fallen out first.