Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Walked posted:

When WoTC creates a new format and destroys modern in a few years it'll be cool to watch the value of all our decks plummet

:homebrew:

Whats your Eldrazi Bears list?

If anything they will kill Legacy and try to get more people invested in Modern (which would be sad because Legacy seems super cool)

Um Modern decks, let's see
Esper Mill
Goblins 8 Whack (before it was cool)
Blue Tron
UW Turbofog
GWb Beats (WIP, still need maybe a dozen cards)

Also picking up sub-$1 cards for BW Tokens, Esper Rally, Aggro Loam, Slivers, maybe some others but it's doubtful I'll ever build all of them (if any). Honestly I have half a mind to decommission Whack and Tron, I don't play them nearly as often as I should.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

My buddy just finished his sliver deck; holy loving poo poo somehow it just completely wrecks Jund 70% of the time. It's ridiculous.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

Walked posted:

When WoTC creates a new format and destroys modern in a few years it'll be cool to watch the value of all our decks plummet

:homebrew:

Whats your Eldrazi Bears list?

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/eldrazi-bears-2/

That's my current testing list right now, someone mentioned they took out the Flickerwisps to get more Wingmares to tax their mana, seemed to work pretty well at least in my LGS since a lot of people like to run control decks, but that had the unfortunate effect in making my aggro matchups kinda lovely, which is the other 40% of the store :v: So I'm hoping the new Thalia puts a damper on both but you really need both out to keep them alive, since a bolt is good enough for both.

Edit: The 61 card is intentional, the 61st one being Relic, helps fuel the Stranglers and can be turned into a card draw if necessary. It also messes up Grixis and other Snapcaster/Delver shenanigans. The Sea Gate Wreckage has actually worked out ok, it draws cards when you need it since this deck is really light on that, only wished it was 1C instead of 2C :(

Thisuck fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Aug 2, 2016

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

kizudarake posted:

My current list is the hoogland Iona elesh norn allosaurus rider package, but I can't start play testing until my buddy from my local store brings back my regular combo elves deck.

That one's full of the normal combo elf stuff with 4 chords, 4 coco and 3 Genesis wave, dump a shitton f mana into mirror entity's ability, and 5 mana into ezuri's ability, then swing for several dozen trample damage

oh okay. I haven't seen the Hoogland list - I was thinking of the second thing you said

Skyl3lazer posted:

I was the guy playing belcher in the 4pm sat event

Were you the guy that got Echoing Truth'd out of the game by that High Tide guy that couldn't combo unless he went infinite with bought back Capsizes?

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
Playing any flavor of Taxes without flickerwisps seems insane to me, especially one with Wasteland Stranglers.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

little munchkin posted:

Playing any flavor of Taxes without flickerwisps seems insane to me, especially one with Wasteland Stranglers.

Yeah I thought that too, but it seems to work fine, the Displacer is a decent alternative and also not having a WW creature is less taxing on your mana.

Edit: Honestly I play Death and Taxes because it's funny as hell when you have more Leonin Arbiters than they can pay for, so your Ghost Quarters are now Strip Mines. Also Vialing in a Leonin Arbiter in response to a fetch is the closest I can get to Stifling a fetch, without playing Squelch.

Thisuck fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Aug 2, 2016

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe
Las Vegas 2017 gonna be lit

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

EvilBeard posted:

Las Vegas 2017 gonna be lit

holy mackerel what an event

also apparently we get two GPs this year, since Louisville in January is also Legacy

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

AgentSythe posted:

holy mackerel what an event

also apparently we get two GPs this year, since Louisville in January is also Legacy

Noted eternal hub of the country, Louisville.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

suicidesteve posted:

Noted eternal hub of the country, Louisville.

I sort of want to go just for BBQ.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

The March Hare posted:

I sort of want to go just for BBQ.

North Carolina BBQ is much better imo.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

suicidesteve posted:

North Carolina BBQ is much better imo.

Correct. Too bad we don't get any more GP's thanks to House Bill 2.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

The only reason to go to North Carolina is for the greatest fast food business model ever, Cook out.

I really don't want to go to Kentucky.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

AgentSythe posted:

oh okay. I haven't seen the Hoogland list - I was thinking of the second thing you said

Were you the guy that got Echoing Truth'd out of the game by that High Tide guy that couldn't combo unless he went infinite with bought back Capsizes?

Yes

:saddowns: (To be fair that game was sweet as hell)

I made 10 goblins, swung for 10, he Wipe Away'd one, swing for 9, then he peeled Echoing Truth on the last turn, and had to time spiral 4 times into capsize buybacks to win.

Skyl3lazer fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Aug 3, 2016

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

I need the cheapest Zooicide list for this weekend. Assume I have the real lands and the commons/uncommons (baubles).

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Snacksmaniac posted:

The only reason to go to North Carolina is for the greatest fast food business model ever, Cook out.

I really don't want to go to Kentucky.

I do. Bourbon tour time!!

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I do. Bourbon tour time!!

OK, now I'm in.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

Snacksmaniac posted:

I need the cheapest Zooicide list for this weekend. Assume I have the real lands and the commons/uncommons (baubles).

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/archetype/modern-zooicide-25606#paper
I think the consensus is to take out the goyf. People usually replace the goyf with Hooting Mandrills, since it accomplishes the same thing but also having trample is nice.

Thisuck fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Aug 3, 2016

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Is Jace VP good in Modern? Was thinking of buying the three I need to make a playset after rotation.

I dunno if Snapcaster/Merfolk Looter are strictly better in their roles or if Jace is actually Modern-playable and will eventually bounce back up to $80+.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

quote =/= edit

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
He sees play in grixis. I think mostly by players that don't have snapcaster mage. I only play modern and I've never been impressed by hi.. that being said I intend to pickup a playset because :downs:

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Molybdenum posted:

He sees play in grixis. I think mostly by players that don't have snapcaster mage. I only play modern and I've never been impressed by hi.. that being said I intend to pickup a playset because :downs:

Yeah, that's pretty much where I'm looking. I have mono-red Burn right now but eventually am gonna move into UR Delver and figure buying 3 Jace's is much more realistic than 4 Snapcaster's.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Don't play Jace in Delver.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Gerry Thompson seems to be a big fan of the card in Grixis decks. I'm going to pick some up at $20 or under. The card has a lot of potential still.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Gerry Thompson seems to be a big fan of the card in Grixis decks. I'm going to pick some up at $20 or under. The card has a lot of potential still.

It's a nice card in Grixis, but for any tempo based decks like Delvers of all varieties, the card is not what you want to be using to achieve your goal.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Thisuck posted:

It's a nice card in Grixis, but for any tempo based decks like Delvers of all varieties, the card is not what you want to be using to achieve your goal.

Right, I agree Snapcaster is the better card choice there. They fill similar slots cmc wise but I think the cards serve two different purposes. Slower grindy decks I like Jace VP, especially tasigur decks.

Kraus
Jan 17, 2008
Were I to test Bedlam Reveler in Legacy Burn, should it be a one-off, or are more warranted?

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Kraus posted:

Were I to test Bedlam Reveler in Legacy Burn, should it be a one-off, or are more warranted?

Whenever I'm testing a card I add one more than I think I'll play just to draw it more often.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
Understanding Gush
only seventeen dollars.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"WotC will never restrict this card and you are wrong if you aren't playing a deck based off of it."

~Fin

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

It would be interesting if there was a strategy in vintage that punished decks for setting back land drops, possibly through a combination of wasteland and specific taxing effects. Of course this deck would have to get disruption in place quickly, so perhaps some combination of artifacts and some card that made it easier to cast artifacts ahead of schedule

just a thought

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

The most important thing would be having a quick clock so your opponent doesn't get time to draw out of it.

Kraus
Jan 17, 2008

Is this erotic fiction?

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Kraus posted:

Is this erotic fiction?

Depends entirely on if you enjoy casting the card Monastery Mentor or not

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
Has he updated that for monastery mentor? He's had that book written practically since Gush was in standard

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Yeah, its been updated to include mentor, and pyromancer, and all sorts of other things such as lab man doomsday.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Someone talk to me about why I should or shouldn't take UW Turbofog to Modern FNM tomorrow instead of my usual Mill list.

Pros: Creature combat-heavy meta, no one knows I have it built.

Cons: Screwed if I'm wrong about said meta, currently on a hot streak with Mill (which might be a predictor of Turbofog's success TBH)

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

C-Euro posted:

Someone talk to me about why I should or shouldn't take UW Turbofog to Modern FNM tomorrow instead of my usual Mill list.

Pros: Creature combat-heavy meta, no one knows I have it built.

Cons: Screwed if I'm wrong about said meta, currently on a hot streak with Mill (which might be a predictor of Turbofog's success TBH)

You shouldn't for 2 reasons

1) Modern sucks
2) The deck is bad

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Modern is great and it's just fnm, take it and have fun. People probably expect your mill now, mix it up and goof around a bit. Same reason I play my bad pet decks sometimes at modern night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
I played a homebrewed UW Spirits list at Modern last night and ended up going 2-1, taking down 2-0s against Jund and Abzan Company while getting hosed by Bushwhacker Zoo. It basically feels like a worse version of UR Delver or Faeries that trades speed and consistently good cards for tricky interactions.

If I put more money into the list the first things I'd add would be Celestial Colonnade and Cavern of Souls, but so far the surprise standout was Moorland Haunt. Turns out being able to turn used cards into 1/1 flying tokens for 3 mana is a pretty loving big deal in a topdeck war.