Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

high six
Feb 6, 2010

AlternateAccount posted:

Well, Mirage has a crapload of good documentation out there, but it's fairly complex. I was in charge of rolling it out where I work, and we absolutely paid VMWare to come in and do training and work the initial rollout. Throwing something as complex as Mirage, which has a fair amount of not-entirely-obvious pitfalls if you're rolling it out with no prior experience at a very junior admin is absolutely a case of poor decision making.

Sounds like you got out of a lovely job. Getting fired sucks, but based just on what you said, that place was a shitshow.

Sort of good documentation. The VMWare docs are alright, but I encountered a bunch of issues where the documentation would refer to something and then not tell you how to do it, like moving app/base layers to different volumes. But yeah, I have VMware experience but it was all with working with virtual machines in Vsphere and whatnot. Got thrown into it and was doing it all by myself for the most part the first week I was there. But yeah, crazy weird problems - had some endpoints that would sometimes hang indefinitely on the Windows logo screen but not log any problems, turned out to be one driver that Mirage didn't like or something. Was also doing all this while doing the T3 stuff and learning the system, soooo, yeah, in retrospect I think I was set up to fail. Especially since this was my first non-helpdesk job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Despite my anxieties about job interviews, I am in the final stages for two different positions. If either place make an offer, I'll be pretty happy.

One is in house system administration for the home corporate office of a large-ish corporation. The other is a system engineer position for a consulting firm.

Both sound interesting for different reasons, but I'm leaning towards the corporate job. Weirdly, they seem to have the more personal touch.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.
First day at work was interesting. Read over a bunch of documentation, found out my title under the contract is Senior Linux Systems Administrator, and then met Capt Robert Helt (ret), who still holds the SR-71 altitude record he set back in July of 1976. We spoke for a few minutes and he reflected back that it seems just like yesterday that he was flying the SR-71, even though it's been 40 years.

New job is going to be a "nose-to-the-grindstone" type and I'll be working exclusively in Linux, which is going to be a big change from doing nothing but Windows for the past 10 years. I've got a simple foundation with Linux, but it's going to be a lot of learning as I go.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Daylen Drazzi posted:

New job is going to be a "nose-to-the-grindstone" type and I'll be working exclusively in Linux, which is going to be a big change from doing nothing but Windows for the past 10 years. I've got a simple foundation with Linux, but it's going to be a lot of learning as I go.

Don't end up like Delta

Was it...

- Exchange Public Folders
- Ancient AS/400
- The Intern

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Tab8715 posted:

Don't end up like Delta

Was it...

- Ancient AS/400
- The Intern

Apparently a generator fire :stare: http://arstechnica.com/business/2016/08/data-center-disaster-disrupts-delta-airlines/

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Tab8715 posted:

Don't end up like Delta

Was it...

- Ancient AS/400
- The Intern

What ended up being the problem with Southwest a few weeks ago? News reports just mentioned "a router."

e: lol at one of the world's biggest airlines not having a redundant data center.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

psydude posted:

What ended up being the problem with Southwest a few weeks ago? News reports just mentioned "a router."

e: lol at one of the world's biggest airlines not having a redundant data center.
A lot of these things are run by real-time mainframe applications that have been in 24/7 operation since the eighties. I don't even know how you would fail over something like that.

Greenfield's got easy answers to everything.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

What do you mean I can't bring my 32oz Big Glup into the Datacenter? :argh:

Vulture Culture posted:

A lot of these things are run by real-time mainframe applications that have been in 24/7 operation since the eighties. I don't even know how you would fail over something like that.

It can be done - IBM PowerHA for IBM i and AIX

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Vulture Culture posted:

I don't even know how you would fail over something like that.

The Cloud, duh.

This is why you're fixing computers instead of running the company!

May 14, 2003

BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY FRUITCAKE!

Tab8715 posted:

What do you mean I can't bring my 32oz Big Glup into the Datacenter? :argh:

It can be done - IBM PowerHA for IBM i and AIX

The pedantic bits of me want to point out that these aren't mainframe solutions.

Mainframes are pretty expensive and I normally only see secondary mainframes at financial services companies. I can totally see an airline only having one of these since.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

guys, they're making a movie about IT! It's about....us!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpBNlhcV2ak

:|

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Vulture Culture posted:

Part of me wants to believe that the actuaries did their math and determined that the ALE isn't worth the cost, but the last 18 months of working with larger enterprises on security solutions has taught me it was probably management ignoring the single point of failure entirely.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Wait, is that real

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Daylen Drazzi posted:

First day at work was interesting. Read over a bunch of documentation, found out my title under the contract is Senior Linux Systems Administrator, and then met Capt Robert Helt (ret), who still holds the SR-71 altitude record he set back in July of 1976. We spoke for a few minutes and he reflected back that it seems just like yesterday that he was flying the SR-71, even though it's been 40 years.

I don't want to sound like a prick, but how the hell are you a "senior Linux Systems Administrator" with little Linux experience?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

ratbert90 posted:

I don't want to sound like a prick, but how the hell are you a "senior Linux Systems Administrator" with little Linux experience?

'Linux, Windows, eh it's all tech poo poo and basically the same anyway' - his HR department :shobon:

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

CLAM DOWN posted:

guys, they're making a movie about IT! It's about....us!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpBNlhcV2ak

:|

Stop interrupting I'm hacking lives

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

feedmegin posted:

'Linux, Windows, eh it's all tech poo poo and basically the same anyway' - his HR department :shobon:

It would be like hiring me as a "Senior Windows Systems Administrator." I would:

1) Be really put off by it as I am not a senior at that roll.

2) Not expect a "Senior" position to be a position where it would be a huge deviance from what I have been doing.

3) Not expect a "Senior" position a position where you only have a simple foundation for.

4) Not expect a "Senior" position a position where I have a lot of learning needed as I go other than maybe now the company has set things up a bit.

Again; no disrespect, but unless you have at least a RHCE I wouldn't even WANT the position of a Senior Linux engineer.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

He works for a defense contractor on a customer site, so it's less about him and more about the contractor's ability to bill the government for a senior-level position.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

psydude posted:

He works for a defense contractor on a customer site, so it's less about him and more about the contractor's ability to bill the government for a senior-level position.

Or a requirement to title him as such so he wouldn't take a giant pay cut to switch positions.

When I worked for DOD the virtualization team got staffed entirely by converting the desktop encryption team over to virtualization admins despite none of them knowing anything about VMware. Because that was easier than going through the hiring process all over again for new people and getting them cleared, certified, and onboarded.

YOLOsubmarine fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Aug 9, 2016

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Vulture Culture posted:

This is entirely what the mainframe shines at. z/TPF, IBM's ultra-high-performance mainframe OS for transaction processing, is built with incredible fault-tolerance in mind. The systems have high degrees of redundancy down to the component level in the processor, channel, and attached device hardware. Then you can link multiple systems together in a parallel sysplex, which basically uses a lot of wizardry and some very specialized peripherals to sync up systems clock for clock to guarantee availability. Additionally, most customers who run local parallel sysplexes can then build those into a geographically dispersed parallel sysplex to ensure availability worldwide. The most important infrastructure in the world doesn't still run on mainframes just because they're too slow and stupid to get off COBOL, it's because mainframes have better uptime than anything else.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

ratbert90 posted:

It would be like hiring me as a "Senior Windows Systems Administrator." I would:

1) Be really put off by it as I am not a senior at that roll.

Sesame seed or poppy seed? It's important the roll is correct for you.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

flosofl posted:

Sesame seed or poppy seed? It's important the roll is correct for you.

Which roll is the best roll for my role as a roll baker?

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo

ratbert90 posted:

Which roll is the best roll for my role as a roll baker?

This is a stupid joke but I'm just going to role with it.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence

The Nards Pan posted:

This is a stupid joke but I'm just going to role with it.

Wrong.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
I feel so salty - I was so mad that our mail filtering kept blocking vsdx files for client projects that I opened a support ticket. They block zip files which I knew but blocking drawings is unacceptable. I had no idea vsdx is a zip file containing all the individual parts of a visio. Now I have to remember never to use "x" file formats in office ever again.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Sepist posted:

I feel so salty - I was so mad that our mail filtering kept blocking vsdx files for client projects that I opened a support ticket. They block zip files which I knew but blocking drawings is unacceptable. I had no idea vsdx is a zip file containing all the individual parts of a visio. Now I have to remember never to use "x" file formats in office ever again.

That they haven't whitelisted office documents is baffling. Has no one, ever, sent a docx?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Arsten posted:

That they haven't whitelisted office documents is baffling. Has no one, ever, sent a docx?

Yeah this is crazy poo poo, why would any of that be blocked?

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Hell I'm still irrationally angry when I can't send a zip or an exe. Heuristically scan that poo poo son, let's assume if I attached it I had a reason to.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

We have a group that if you're in that group you can send exe files. All zip files are allowed because the scanner can scan inside zip files.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

GreenNight posted:

We have a group that if you're in that group you can send exe files. All zip files are allowed because the scanner can scan inside zip files.
Put me in that group right now, that'll solve all of my problems. Just create some user account, mcfruistripe, and put me in.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

We have a 5 meg attachment limit.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Why in the world of dropbox and google drive are you sending files over email still?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

jaegerx posted:

Why in the world of dropbox and google drive are you sending files over email still?

Some corps block Dropbox and Google Drive due to not being able to secure it.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

GreenNight posted:

Some corps block Dropbox and Google Drive due to not being able to secure it.

There's other more secure options you can do in house. Please stop emailing files like heathens.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

jaegerx posted:

There's other more secure options you can do in house. Please stop emailing files like heathens.

poo poo costs money, man.

We use WS FTP Ad Hoc file transfer for files over 5 megs.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

jaegerx posted:

Trust that both your company that blocks ZIP files will be open and receptive to Dropbox or Google Drive as well as the receiving company being open to ZIP files, Dropbox, and Google Drive.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

jaegerx posted:

Get off my lawn.

Plus, it's simple. I'm emailing back and forth - oh yeah that thing, yeah that thing, what about that other thing, you mean that thing with the thing, yeah that's the thing, cool send me the thing, okay here's the thing attached to the email.

Not like you new fools with your "here's an email with a link to my dropbox", pfft, what is that, just put the file where you're already talking.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

jaegerx posted:

Email caught on because you could send files. Telling them to turn back now because you like something else is like trying to drain the Pacific with a water glass. GL;HF.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

GreenNight posted:

poo poo costs money, man.

We use WS FTP Ad Hoc file transfer for files over 5 megs.

https://owncloud.org

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

We will have to evaluate this solution. It is currently priority: AZ - After Zombies. Until such a time, all cloud providers are still forbidden and you will be terminated for thinking about clouds, puffy or online based.