Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amaryllis
Aug 14, 2007

Nobody makes a fool out of Rohan Kishibe!

Bad Seafood posted:

Setting aside whether or not (or how well) Part 8 resolves itself into a cohesive whole, a lot ot the entertainment week-to-week (or I guess month-to-month now) in Jojo has always been the fights, and thus far Part 8's offerings have been kinda inconsistent, its miniboss-style villains a significant step down from SBR's.
Yeah, this is true. We've had a lot of puzzle fights with a lot of emphasis on the "puzzle" part and very little actual stand fighting (off the top of my head: California King Bed, Shakedown Road, Paper Moon King, Beetle Tendency, and probably also Joshu's Millions), and a lot of the "villains" in those arcs are just Higashikata jerks (and in one case a bunch of leaves). The Damo arc was a big step up in a lot of ways--not just because it filled in a lot of timeline stuff but also because Damo was a top-tier miniboss out of nowhere and the fights at both ends of the timeline were sick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

i'm really hoping with the latest joshuu arc it means we'll get more of the idiot family for a bit.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
I really really want to see more Kato

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

multijoe posted:

Okay, flicking through the last couple of issues and maybe I was being a little harsh, the only time it's really egregious is when Daiya's trying to seduce Josuke and I guess it was deliberately meant to look a little gross then. I retract my vile slandering of Yasuho Hirose.

I like Daiya a lot too but I was really kidding, you can like what you like!!!

I wonder if I'd feel as strongly about the quality of part 8 as a whole were it not the fact that I really, really love Gappy and his halves plus Yasuho.

But yeah, I've let chapters stack up before and will again if the pace drops back. That makes a difference, too.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I read SBR as it was coming out and felt better about than JJL. JJL just feels weird in any of what it's trying to do and some of that is by design, but I feel like it's also unintentional in places.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

So like, why did Valentine get so buff?

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Probably swapped with an alternate dimension version with less chins

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

He found Jesus.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Amaryllis posted:

Yeah, this is true. We've had a lot of puzzle fights with a lot of emphasis on the "puzzle" part and very little actual stand fighting (off the top of my head: California King Bed, Shakedown Road, Paper Moon King, Beetle Tendency, and probably also Joshu's Millions), and a lot of the "villains" in those arcs are just Higashikata jerks (and in one case a bunch of leaves). The Damo arc was a big step up in a lot of ways--not just because it filled in a lot of timeline stuff but also because Damo was a top-tier miniboss out of nowhere and the fights at both ends of the timeline were sick.
I've nothing against puzzle fights, I just feel like quite a few of them this time around haven't really measured up. A subpar fight can still be salvaged by a memorable villain, of course, but Araki's kinda been hit or miss there too.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

He d4c'd in a buff Valentine but the buff Valentine killed the fat Valentine.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Valentine is basically Space Dandy.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
what was all the loving joshuu hate i just read

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

:same:

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
Wait wait wait,
I was reading a wiki about Damo, and apparently he's a rock dude?

I thought he was just affiliated with them. He didn't crumble when he died, did he?

Yon
Oct 7, 2003

Just one spice?
Just one spice
Just one spice...
He definitely sort of 'shatters' and there's that bystander that goes "Was that a figure?"

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
man, everyone in that panel is rad

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

I need to catch up like now

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

Amaryllis posted:

Honestly everyone in JJL is almost like a real person but also kind of ... off, I guess? Part of that is cleeee~~~~~~~arly from translations that seem to go for literal rather than idiomatic English. But also, pretty much everyone in the Higashikata household is a rich rear end in a top hat and their personal details always come up in hilarious situations that no actual human being would create, like Joshu revealing that he's an atheist because not believing in god makes him afraid to drink expired milk as the whole family sits around in bathing suits eating pancakes, or Hato showing her vanity by chatting about her intestinal parasites and leaving her magazines everywhere and making a big show of finding them, or Jobin revealing his love for games and gambling through a high stakes beetle fight in which he bets his own car. Norisuke, the guy with the bubble hair, comes across as normal in this context. Meanwhile, Gappy's only memories are apparently a brief flashback to some menacing dude's face and a song about french fries, and even his relatively(?) normal-seeming girlfriend falls asleep at inconvenient times and spontaneously licks her elbow.

Jojolion is a sitcom.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Pomp posted:

what was all the loving joshuu hate i just read

Joshu sitting there being an abominable poo poo during the Beetle fight was undersold by everyone and was more entertaining than the actual beetle fight, especially when Jobin tells him to TRY and cheer for Gappy.

EDIT: Hahahaha, oh my loving god the way Dainenjiyama dies is loving amazing

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Aug 9, 2016

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

No joke, Joshuu is my favorite character from Jojolion, because he's such an amazingly entertaining rear end in a top hat and he has great interactions with basically everyone

Also, it's great fun when the universe shits on him, because he deserves it

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Is Araki implying that Miura and Togashi are rock people?

EDIT: I swear to loving god, the day JoJolion tanks get brought to america, I am salting the internet of these loving scans for the constant use of U EVERYWHERE

Jousuke
Joubin
Joushuu

It's like I'm reading a fan-translation from the god drat mid-2000s. I have no idea why Morioh is the only place that doesn't get this, I'm sure they would love to put Moriou.

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Aug 9, 2016

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

I wonder if it is just awkward fan translation or if the original text was just "3D Johnny Depp Pirate Movie" because usually when Araki wants to mention something he just flat out mentions it so it seems weird for him to dance around it like that.

Baal posted:

EDIT: Hahahaha, oh my loving god the way Dainenjiyama dies is loving amazing

The one thing I can think of that I really liked that tsurugi did

It's so fuckin amazing when you realize what's going on. Just "Hey man what's up" *tries to shake hands with a bus*

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

Damn it, why it does need to remain only four bullets!?
It's been a while, but I just put up two new chapters of Talking Heads and Clash. This week, Araki really hates cat poop.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm caught up, the Flashback and Damo stuff was super good and I'm excited for Joshu's Fiscal Journey.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Baal posted:

EDIT: I swear to loving god, the day JoJolion tanks get brought to america, I am salting the internet of these loving scans for the constant use of U EVERYWHERE

Jousuke
Joubin
Joushuu

It's like I'm reading a fan-translation from the god drat mid-2000s. I have no idea why Morioh is the only place that doesn't get this, I'm sure they would love to put Moriou.

I like "Joshuu" because of course his name would be that lovely

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Jouey Wheeleru

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012

Zeruel posted:

Wait wait wait,
I was reading a wiki about Damo, and apparently he's a rock dude?

I thought he was just affiliated with them. He didn't crumble when he died, did he?

i mean otherwise people would be pretty weirded out at josuke for killing that guy

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
No yeah, Damo crumbled into pebbles when Gappy friggin wasted him on the street.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

It could have been that I totally missed something but up until the moment Josuke destroys him in front of people, I hadn't been totally sure he was a rock person himself.

e: the Jousuke thing is interesting given that nothing else that's official merch/in-game stuff refers to him as such but otherwise uh the U thing is a touchy subject with HWMN

ee: though really, I shouldn't play the 'what it says on the merch' card because: "blono" bucciarati

Okuyasu Nijimura fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Aug 9, 2016

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

fractalairduct posted:

Jojolion is a sitcom.

I remember thinking that the Higashikatas really really reminded me of the Bluths from Arrested Development. I don't know why I thought of them specifically, but they're both pretty much Rich rear end in a top hat Families that don't act like normal humans, so hey.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I dunno why the guy all the Rock People answer to wouldn't also be a Rock Person, but ya Josuke shattered his rear end in the street and people thought the Higashikatas just brought a stone figure out on the curb and broke it cause they're rich weirdos.

Amaryllis
Aug 14, 2007

Bad Seafood posted:

I've nothing against puzzle fights, I just feel like quite a few of them this time around haven't really measured up. A subpar fight can still be salvaged by a memorable villain, of course, but Araki's kinda been hit or miss there too.
Oh yeah, definitely. I think some of the not-measuring-up is that so many of those fights that are low on action have also felt kind of low-stakes and haven't involved very memorable antagonists. Hell, a lot of them are just members of the family, and the only one of them who seems outright sinister at this point is Jobin. I'm also kind of disappointed that all the known rock people have beefed it at this point--Yotsuyu in particular felt like he should've stuck around longer. E: And it's not that low stakes = bad, it's more that even as someone who loves the hell out of JJL, I've also felt that a lot of the battle bits of it are a bit... off?

fractalairduct posted:

Jojolion is a sitcom.
Yes, this is perfect.

Amaryllis fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Aug 9, 2016

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Amaryllis posted:

Yotsuyu in particular felt like he should've stuck around longer.

Isn't his penis still MIA? Watch this space.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

multijoe posted:

Final battle is a man with two balls facing just a penis. A rock dick with its own Stand ability.

Amaryllis
Aug 14, 2007

multijoe posted:

this explains 1) why norisuke was so interested in the dick, and 2) how the aphex twins survived getting kicked apart the first time

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the higashikatas just ice someone out on the sidewalk once a week and no one bats an eye at this point because they're rich and own like half the town or some poo poo

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
JJL was Twin Peaks for its first half, now it might go more traditional JoJo.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Baal posted:

Jousuke
Joubin
Joushuu

Mouriouh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Joujou's Bizaurre Adveuntuure