Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Nessus posted:

Rasmussen is biased TOWARDS :abuela: ?

Any poll that doesn't have Trump up by 14+% is a liberal poo poo poll.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Gyges posted:

Princeton Election Consortium has both senate forecasts and general election forecasts. Currently they have the Senate at likely being 50/50. The Democrats need 4 seats to get to 50. Currently they've got 2 all but certain pick ups thanks to Kirk and Johnson being DOA. Harry Reid is retiring and his seat isn't safe however. So in addition to keeping Reid's seat and picking up the Illinois and Wisconsin seats, they still need to pick up at least two. Chances are pretty good, especially with Marco Rubio running around telling women that they've got to keep their Zika babies because God said so.

They've really got to run up the score if they want to continue holding the Senate in 2018 though. There's only 8 Republican seats up for reelection, while both Independents who caucus with the Democrats are up, and 23 Democrats are up. Also it's going to be a midterm year like 2010 when the Republicans freak out and the Democrats stay home.

Thanks for the link, duder

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Spiffster posted:

I wish Indiana would listen to everyone around it except for Kentucky... Indiana isn't exactly pollsters #1 priority but come on man seeing the crossroads go blue again would be amazing.

YOU AND ME BOTH

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
https://twitter.com/SimonMaloy/status/762863186714333184

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Gyges posted:

Did you point out that Trump spent a week attacking the Kahns, which is what the media was covering, while Hillary made nary a peep about Vilerat's Mom?

They feel like the media should have talked about it for as much time as they did Kahn, that Kahn was paid off by Hillary, that Trump didn't say anything bad about him and the media is making it up. It's beyond pointless to argue with them, but family is family.

At this point most of them don't even watch fox anymore. They get poo poo from Rush, Drudge, and Breitbart. All opinions are based around Hillary Bad, and you rationalize from there.

I'm waiting to see how they're going to take a Trump loss. We're in California and they are convinced he is going to win the state.

:negative:

Heck Yes! Loam! fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Aug 9, 2016

Eschers Basement
Sep 13, 2007

by exmarx

Crain posted:

11th dimensional cheeto chess.

So did any new beefs come out of the Trump speech today? All I heard of it was repealing the estate tax and some other economics garbage that's par for the course with the GOP, but nothing new on the "say just every dumb loving thing" front.

Not related to the speech, but the news radio broadcasts I listened said "Trump made a speech that really said nothing new, and by the way, 50 top Republican administration DoD/DHS officials, including 2 former DHS heads, signed a letter calling Trump unfit for the Presidency."

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Spiffster posted:

I wish Indiana would listen to everyone around it except for Kentucky... Indiana isn't exactly pollsters #1 priority but come on man seeing the crossroads go blue again would be amazing.

The problem with this is the time and effort needed to poll the states. With this being such a crazy year, I doubt we'll know which of the more "stable" states are leaning until election night. gently caress, Georgia and Arizona being even remotely in play is huge.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Crabtree posted:

Did one of JEB! Bush's kids really endorse trump? Is Jeb somehow still a mess even after the loving primary?!

George(of loving course) P. Bush, hero of the people.

EDIT: can't find the tweet so take it with a grain of salt but George P. is also apparently an accelerationist so welp

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

On the plus side this probably means there won't be a third George Bush in the White House.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

SC will not flip. But the idea of it warms the cockles of my cold, dead heart.

We are the dumbest state in the union. Full stop.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

computer parts posted:

On the plus side this probably means there won't be a third George Bush in the White House.

True. I'm guessing he sees this as a shrewd political backstab or whatever but it's just an extremely dumb move that does nothing except make Jeb! somehow even more pitiable.

I mean he's a terrible person, but there's something delightful about him that makes him hard to hate. Especially when his family seems to regularly poo poo all over him.

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!

LeeMajors posted:

Kentucky. As someone from Kentucky, I think I can safely say this to be true.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

LeeMajors posted:

I bet Trump will win with less of the popular than :mitt: did

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Sword of Chomsky posted:

I'm waiting to see how they're going to take a Trump loss. We're in California and they are convinced he is going to win the state.

Your best play is just to egg them on about it as much as possible beforehand so that when Trump loses, you'll have something to hold over them for a long time to shut them up when they bring up politics. "Oh yeah like that time you thought Trump would win and he got demolished?"

The one thing conservatives hate more than anything is losing. Use that as a way to make politics as painful for them to talk about as possible.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

LeeMajors posted:

Arkansas here. That's our thing.

Sword of Chomsky posted:

They feel like the media should have talked about it for as much time as they did Kahn, that Kahn was paid off by Hillary, that Trump didn't say anything bad about him and the media is making it up. It's beyond pointless to argue with them, but family is family.

At this point most of them don't even watch fox anymore. They get poo poo from Rush, Drudge, and Breitbart. All opinions are based around Hillary Bad, and you rationalize from there.

Expect the usual: Denial, outrage about "cheating", raging about the downfall or America thanks to dumb voters, then retreating back to the warm cocoon of ultra right wing media as they wait for the fall to come and prove them right any day now.

Roflan
Nov 25, 2007

Sword of Chomsky posted:

:bernpop:

Forget trying to change their minds about trump. If you want to try to influence them at all, try to get them to understand how utterly insane thinking this is.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Roflan posted:

:bernpop:

Forget trying to change their minds about trump. If you want to influence them, try to get them to understand how utterly insane thinking this was.

This is a great way of turning Thanksgiving into an hours long unfiltered hot take about Mexicans

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Sword of Chomsky posted:

Good time to make some money.

Roflan
Nov 25, 2007

I don't see how talking about trump would be any better. If I had a family like that, I'd just stay as far away from politics as possible.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Geostomp posted:

Expect the usual: Denial, outrage about "cheating", raging about the downfall or America thanks to dumb voters, then retreating back to the warm cocoon of ultra right wing media as they wait for the fall to come and prove them right any day now.

Yep, this is all anyone can reasonably expect from Trump's base.

If the election is close, Trump truthers will obsess over the closest states. If it's a landslide, they'll declare it suspicious how one-sided the result was. There is no sequence of events that they will interpret as a legitimate loss.

Trump's die-hards subscribe to the "silent majority" worldview; they're already doing mental gymnastics to explain why people don't openly agree with them ("they must agree with me in secret!"). Deciding that the election is rigged because it doesn't feel like Hillary won is just a stone's throw from that.

Roflan
Nov 25, 2007

The 'silent majority' is the voices the people who believe in the silent majority hear in their heads.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

LeeMajors posted:

I don' t know... has your legislature ever poisoned themselves with raw milk?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
What gets me excited is the idea that the RNC is going to have to put money into what should be safe states.

Arizona should be a state where the Republican candidate can show up, do a photo op with Sheriff Joe and sells shirts at a giant rally.

Now it's a battleground and there'll be BLM protestors outside stealing his thunder.

This is the best election.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Trump is already complaining that the election is rigged.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
The fact we're even talking about Arizona and Georgia flipping blue is bonkers and just shows how disastrous Trump's run has been.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
What Republicans are going through grasping at straws believing that the "silent majority" is still out there is similar to Democrats in the 70's and 80's who believed the New Deal Coalition could be brought back together. It took a series of humiliatingly huge presidential losses and a shift of the party to the center to deliver the presidency to them again in 1992.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
Susan Collins announced in a op ed that she won't vote for Trump.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

Susan Collins announced in a op ed that she won't vote for Trump.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Can we just like burn the "cuck" half of twitter and keep the cool half

oh hey word filter, ehn i'm leaving it

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

do they even know what that word means

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Wonder why Trump polls so low with women.

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u

LeeMajors posted:

Texas here -- actually we're pretty cool nvm

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Pakled posted:

What Republicans are going through grasping at straws believing that the "silent majority" is still out there is similar to Democrats in the 70's and 80's who believed the New Deal Coalition could be brought back together. It took a series of humiliatingly huge presidential losses and a shift of the party to the center to deliver the presidency to them again in 1992.

I get the sense this shift will happen later rather than sooner.

Downing double seems to be the only move Republicans know how to play atm.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Yinlock posted:

I wondered that too. Feels like old people trying to be cool.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

OhFunny posted:

I get the sense this shift will happen later rather than sooner.

Downing double seems to be the only move Republicans know how to play atm.

This probably won't happen til 2020-2024 as assuming Dems tie or take the senate and Hillary's Supreme court can kill/weaken Gerrymandering.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

There was some pretty funny Trumpeter on CNN yesterday. He offered some of the most interesting spin I've seen in a while. The guy was arguing that the fact that Hillary was easily leading Trump by 7-8 points, was actually a bad thing because with the lovely week Trump's been having, she should easily be beating him by double digits, and thus she's a failure.

Granted, that's hilarious enough, but fast forward to today, and a new CNN poll DOES in fact have her up by double digits. :lol:

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
I have an old classmate who is hyper cynical and possibly depressed that I recently reconnected with, only to find out he hates Trump but buys into the Shillary narrative.

:negative: But engaging with him on any halfway serious topic is a pain in the rear end so he, the type of person who told me to look up the TPP when I asked him what problems he has with it, will never change his mind. I hope there are not too many of these types out there.

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

Yinlock posted:

I honestly don't think they do, but I can't figure out based on context what they might actually believe it means. Something like 'bitch' as used toward a male?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Yinlock posted:

It doesn't mean anything. It's just a word you use in order to indicate your membership in a certain group.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Dexo posted:

This probably won't happen til 2020-2024 as assuming Dems tie or take the senate and Hillary's Supreme court can kill/weaken Gerrymandering.

One can hope.

In the short term I expect the Republican held House to try to block everything Clinton puts forward as hard as they have with Obama since 2010.

My biggest fear is the Freedom Caucus actually driving the car over the cliff and defaulting the US Debt.

• Locked thread