Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Kid Fenris posted:

VIZ put out a new edition of Shotaro Ishinomori's Zelda comic
Today I learned that there's more than one thing called VIZ in comics, and that this is not the one that makes Drunken Bakers and Eight Ace.

Today is a major disappointment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

I disagree on this point, mostly because I wanted that version of Samus (where she looked like Vasquez with purple hair) to be canon:

According to the Super Metroid Players Guide, Samus Aran was 6'3" and 198 lbs :allears:

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

In Nintendo news, I've been playing AM2R a lot yesterday and I could safely believe it's an official release. I'm not that familiar with Metroid series outside of Super Metroid (which I've played over and over again), as in, I haven't played the GBA Metroids that AM2R borrows the style and gameplay from - or the actual Metroid 2. But it really does feel like playing a Metroid game, although one mechanic I don't like all that much is the lava going down when you have killed enough metroids in one area, restricting your progress that way.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

TeaJay posted:

In Nintendo news, I've been playing AM2R a lot yesterday and I could safely believe it's an official release. I'm not that familiar with Metroid series outside of Super Metroid (which I've played over and over again), as in, I haven't played the GBA Metroids that AM2R borrows the style and gameplay from - or the actual Metroid 2. But it really does feel like playing a Metroid game, although one mechanic I don't like all that much is the lava going down when you have killed enough metroids in one area, restricting your progress that way.

That spoilered part was in the original Metroid 2.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Wamdoodle posted:

That spoilered part was in the original Metroid 2.

Oh, all right. Disregard, unless maybe you're like me and haven't played the original and want to go blind in this one.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

On another note about Nintendo taking down the NP mags and Metroid alterations: much like Blizzard serving C&Ds to people running vanilla WoW servers against the cries of its fanbase, the matter was "protecting their intellectual property rights", trying to discourage others from doing this, instead of condoning by means of inaction.

It makes sense, but it makes them a business, not an rear end in a top hat.

But Nintendo's way of doing business has always been high on the rear end in a top hat Scale. poo poo, they have always been like this. It's why I have many many issues with them as a company. They want to control everything and everyone else can gently caress off or start licking their sack. The Playstation 4 is pretty much in existence because of the poo poo Nintendo pulled. The HuCard. Tengen. It's how they do. They are a bit like Games Workshop only they generally make quality products. Albeit with multiple revisions and a long list of gimmick hardware add ons nobody likes. And they rarely support. ( Unlike Sega and Nokia the Big N gets away with it. Mainly because now and again we get a Super Game Boy out of it. Most of the time it's Super Scopes and E Readers far as the eye can see.. )

I mean they basically tried throwing Sega under the bus during the 90s hearings, fought tooth and nail to keep games from being rented, and their own attitude basically helped create Commander Keen. ( Which much like the HuCard and the Playstation is perhaps proof there is a divine being who doesn't completely hate us. Just mostly.)

Though does this make them the only douchebag game company? gently caress no. #fuckkonami exists for a reason. EA has always tried to be a shitlord since ah.. Like a month after the Madden Football series started shipping on the Genesis? Activision has gone even further from their noble beginnings into douchebaggery. Ubisoft and the terror of Uplay. Ocean and LJN/Acclaim rushing to see who could ruin more children's birthdays and Christmases with lovely licensed pap. ( Bandai and Takara in Japan would have but with different holidays I guess? I mean Ocean's Transformers game is poo poo. Takara's is more like Goatsce in videogame form. And probably cost 5x as much as a tape load game even the guy who did art for says was Garbo.)

Companies are bad. Big companies have bigger amounts of bad in them. THEY ARE HUGE AND HAVE HUGE GUTS RIP AND TEAR. ( Especially the fanboys like those people who cried when noted idiot shitlord Steve Jobs died. I'm sure Jack Tramiel is kicking his rear end daily in hell after he curb stomps some Nazis. :metal: )

Edit: So just play fun Videogames but accept the companies behind them are generally run by giant chodes. But the same can pretty much be said for most companies. Which is why I have a saying: "Never trust anyone with an MBA". I've even had one agree with this statement. He was pretty :smith: about it.

Captain Rufus fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Aug 9, 2016

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I bought the Super Famicom new 3ds two days ago from play Asia for $250. I refreshed the page this morning and it went up to $280. Then I refreshed it ten minutes ago and it's now at $310. I had no idea play Asia did that but I'm glad I clicked the purchase button when I did.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Never forget that Sony plotted to destroy the Dreamcast by developing a consumer 1gig burnable disc format, truly one of the most under handed things any company has ever done to try and get ahead in a console war.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The sun rises. The rain falls. Captain Rufus screams a whole bunch of words in reaction to someone insinuating that Nintendo may not have been founded and operated purely by candy-stealing Hitler clones.

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

YOU'RE SLEEPING HERE? IS THIS WHERE YOU'RE SLEEPING? HUH?!
To be fair Nintendo are no saints. Remember when the US Supreme Court had to step in?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwd56K7rp7A

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Captain Rufus posted:

But Nintendo's way of doing business has always been high on the rear end in a top hat Scale. poo poo, they have always been like this. It's why I have many many issues with them as a company. They want to control everything and everyone else can gently caress off or start licking their sack. The Playstation 4 is pretty much in existence because of the poo poo Nintendo pulled. The HuCard. Tengen. It's how they do. They are a bit like Games Workshop only they generally make quality products. Albeit with multiple revisions and a long list of gimmick hardware add ons nobody likes. And they rarely support. ( Unlike Sega and Nokia the Big N gets away with it. Mainly because now and again we get a Super Game Boy out of it. Most of the time it's Super Scopes and E Readers far as the eye can see.. )

I mean they basically tried throwing Sega under the bus during the 90s hearings, fought tooth and nail to keep games from being rented, and their own attitude basically helped create Commander Keen. ( Which much like the HuCard and the Playstation is perhaps proof there is a divine being who doesn't completely hate us. Just mostly.)

Though does this make them the only douchebag game company? gently caress no. #fuckkonami exists for a reason. EA has always tried to be a shitlord since ah.. Like a month after the Madden Football series started shipping on the Genesis? Activision has gone even further from their noble beginnings into douchebaggery. Ubisoft and the terror of Uplay. Ocean and LJN/Acclaim rushing to see who could ruin more children's birthdays and Christmases with lovely licensed pap. ( Bandai and Takara in Japan would have but with different holidays I guess? I mean Ocean's Transformers game is poo poo. Takara's is more like Goatsce in videogame form. And probably cost 5x as much as a tape load game even the guy who did art for says was Garbo.)

Companies are bad. Big companies have bigger amounts of bad in them. THEY ARE HUGE AND HAVE HUGE GUTS RIP AND TEAR. ( Especially the fanboys like those people who cried when noted idiot shitlord Steve Jobs died. I'm sure Jack Tramiel is kicking his rear end daily in hell after he curb stomps some Nazis. :metal: )

Edit: So just play fun Videogames but accept the companies behind them are generally run by giant chodes. But the same can pretty much be said for most companies. Which is why I have a saying: "Never trust anyone with an MBA". I've even had one agree with this statement. He was pretty :smith: about it.

take your meds

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

d0s posted:

TGL concept art.

The Guardian Legend???

Dr. Spitesworth
Dec 31, 2007
Yoink.
It's interesting that people are angry at Nintendo for doing the thing most other publishers take heat for failing to do: Recognize that old properties have value. There's definitely a lot wrong with copyright law in its current form, but I can't really fault a company for taking actions necessitated by the existing system. Yeah, they're being super douchey about it, and they deserve to take their lumps for it. Still, I'd rather see them treat their archives as something with potential value and worth protection than simply shrugging and moving along like the Irems and Konamis of the world.

Mace Bacon posted:

Talking about the Analog NTs, I thought they were buying all the yellowed Famicoms no one else wants to buy for their boards? I don't have a problem with that really. I've seen Famicom's that look like they were played by a person playing Dragon Quest in long sessions constantly chain smoking and then buried in the dirt for 20 years.

Yeah, the prevailing rumor seems to be that they got a sweet deal on a dumpster load of dyspeptic Famicoms, which were unsalable due to looking like this or even having actual physical damage to the cases. Japanese retailers are super particular about condition and will sell things at fire-sale prices for blemishes that would still constitute "NEAR MINT L@@K" for Americans on eBay, and super-grody Famicoms like these would definitely go straight into the dumpster at someplace like Super Potato. So it's hard to complain about them being given new life. Though, supposedly that's also why they're not making more NTs — they don't have a cheap source for more console guts.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The Internet Archive has updated its big in-browser emulation collection with 2000 Amiga games, demos and other programs. These are using the AROS kickstart substitute, so there'll probably be incompatibilities, but hey, Deluxe Paint in your browser. Cool, I guess.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

I bought the Super Famicom new 3ds two days ago from play Asia for $250. I refreshed the page this morning and it went up to $280. Then I refreshed it ten minutes ago and it's now at $310. I had no idea play Asia did that but I'm glad I clicked the purchase button when I did.

And it's $320 now, wowzers. For a minute I thought maybe they did that thing that airline and hotel websites do where they raise the price every time you refresh, but nope.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
28,000 Yen on amazon jp. I hope it comes to the west.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Discount Viscount posted:

Speaking of games I may or may not be hoarding to hypothetically some day run a small mystery game tournament, did this already get posted in here?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2M_wwSlqAGw

That looks like fun.

The Kins posted:

The sun rises. The rain falls. Captain Rufus screams a whole bunch of words in reaction to someone insinuating that Nintendo may not have been founded and operated purely by candy-stealing Hitler clones.

That's not actually that far off from Yamauchi.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Dr. Spitesworth posted:

It's interesting that people are angry at Nintendo for doing the thing most other publishers take heat for failing to do: Recognize that old properties have value. There's definitely a lot wrong with copyright law in its current form, but I can't really fault a company for taking actions necessitated by the existing system. Yeah, they're being super douchey about it, and they deserve to take their lumps for it. Still, I'd rather see them treat their archives as something with potential value and worth protection than simply shrugging and moving along like the Irems and Konamis of the world.

Yet somehow Fangamer is still in business selling Mother 3 walkthroughs based on a fan translation. Nintendo isn't profiting off Mother so anyone can freely sell their vaguely themed Earthbound junk with impunity.

That Metroid game could probably be re-released in an official format literally a year from this date and live on unnoticed.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Jumpingmanjim posted:

28,000 Yen on amazon jp. I hope it comes to the west.

Looks like it's all third-party sellers, I don't think Amazon.co.jp ever stocked it proper. Incidentally, two things I've noticed about Amazon.co.jp:

1. Their prices seem to be trending slightly higher than other stores, I wonder if they got wise to people using them for importing from.
2. At least for more recent items that were available for general sale but in limited quantities, scalpers there have it down to a science, almost invariably the item's price will be "base price + 4000 yen" or thereabouts, really not much deviation that I've seen (give or take 1000 yen at most).

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

The Kins posted:

The Internet Archive has updated its big in-browser emulation collection with 2000 Amiga games, demos and other programs. These are using the AROS kickstart substitute, so there'll probably be incompatibilities, but hey, Deluxe Paint in your browser. Cool, I guess.

Uh huuuh

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

gently caress Her Brains Out 35 was the peak of the series.

I've had zero luck getting any of the games to work. There's the long load time in the emulator, but at the end of it things either crash or run distortingly slow.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Aug 9, 2016

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I got Wizball to work, though if I accidentally scrolled the page the sound distorted. I tried a couple of Turrican sound disks but they didn't seem to do anything/the sound button just helpfully informed me it'd be available when the emulator was started.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

kirbysuperstar posted:

I got Wizball to work, though if I accidentally scrolled the page the sound distorted. I tried a couple of Turrican sound disks but they didn't seem to do anything/the sound button just helpfully informed me it'd be available when the emulator was started.

Yeah, I tried clicking the sound button which indicated the sound was muted when Laser Squad started moaning through my speakers only to get that same message.

The browser PC emulation at the Internet Archive isn't great but it is functioning. This needs work.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Aug 9, 2016

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
So I was flipping through old Nintendo Powers that I grabbed last night and came across a rather interesting article in issue 22. I remember the magazine being filled to the rim with marketing and game stuff but I never remembered there was actual technical information in it.

The next couple of pages go on about the sprites, background layer, RGB vs RF and touches on the Gameboy a bit.

silentq15
Nov 28, 2008

Caitlin posted:

oh whatever, go download 'em on emuparadise

Wow never realized they had these scans buried in emuparadise's menus lol.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

flyboi posted:

The next couple of pages go on about the sprites, background layer, RGB vs RF and touches on the Gameboy a bit.

I never thought a Nintendo publication would talk about shift registers. Can you dump the rest of the pages in here?

Maybe rewrite them in the form of 18th century love poetry so Nintendo can't slash our throats in the night.

I love old magazines.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Surely it's just talking about composite v RF, since the NES works internally in composite.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

silentq15 posted:

Wow never realized they had these scans buried in emuparadise's menus lol.

Grab all the strategy guides too.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Wamdoodle posted:

Daaaaaayum, I thought SNES yellowing was bad :eyepop:

Famicom yellowing is often compounded by people chain smoking indoors around the things.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

al-azad posted:

Yet somehow Fangamer is still in business selling Mother 3 walkthroughs based on a fan translation. Nintendo isn't profiting off Mother so anyone can freely sell their vaguely themed Earthbound junk with impunity.

That Metroid game could probably be re-released in an official format literally a year from this date and live on unnoticed.

Nintendo is selling Earthbound and Earthbound 0 on the eshop

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
And they're selling Metroid II on the 3DS eShop I'm pretty sure.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Instant Sunrise posted:

Yup, it's on the 3DS eShop alright.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I never thought a Nintendo publication would talk about shift registers. Can you dump the rest of the pages in here?

Maybe rewrite them in the form of 18th century love poetry so Nintendo can't slash our throats in the night.

I love old magazines.

Here you go

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Instant Sunrise posted:

Yeah, I've got it on my 3DS.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

My Lovely Horse posted:

Today I learned that there's more than one thing called VIZ in comics, and that this is not the one that makes Drunken Bakers and Eight Ace.

Today is a major disappointment.

No that's also them

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Remind me again, what's the big deal about yfold seals? Harder to fake, looks better on a sealed copy?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Ineffiable posted:

Remind me again, what's the big deal about yfold seals? Harder to fake, looks better on a sealed copy?

I only know about America but factory shrink games are sealed with a single solid sheet of plastic that's cut and folded along the top and bottom forming a y-shaped seal on both edges. It's nearly impossible to replicate by hand since it's a machine doing it.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

al-azad posted:

I only know about America but factory shrink games are sealed with a single solid sheet of plastic that's cut and folded along the top and bottom forming a y-shaped seal on both edges. It's nearly impossible to replicate by hand since it's a machine doing it.

IIRC. SNES and NES games didn't always use this method. They typically used a cheaper heat press and seal method which you can easily do at home and the equipment for it is relatively cheap. Sony used the cellophane fold method pretty much right from the start since their packaging was standard CD and DVD cases (once they got past the long box, of course).

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

Are PVM-style LCDs (specifically the Panasonic BT LH1700WP or its ilk) good for hooking up older consoles to, or are they a sorry substitute for a CRT equivalent?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Random Stranger posted:

IIRC. SNES and NES games didn't always use this method. They typically used a cheaper heat press and seal method which you can easily do at home and the equipment for it is relatively cheap. Sony used the cellophane fold method pretty much right from the start since their packaging was standard CD and DVD cases (once they got past the long box, of course).

Yes, I should specify that the folding method is basically industry standard for disc based media including Nintendo DS, PSP, and Vita. All the old cardboard box stuff has either a vertical or horizontal seam running down the middle of the back. Sometimes there are small holes which are ventilation holes and a good indicator of a legit copy because they're perfectly round and taught, not frayed like if you tore into plastic with a knife or something.

• Locked thread