Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

air- posted:

Still looking for a confirmed source on this: someone pointed out that there are Cigar City cans that say brewed at Oskar Blues in Austin, TX :pusheen:

I can't really confirm it but it's a widely known secret that CCB's canned beers are now being made at some Oskar Blues facilities thanks to the recent psuedo acquisition. Get yourself some fresh Jai Alai and enjoy it, dude!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Oskar blues and more specifically the popularity of canning poo poo owns

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Spanish Manlove posted:

I can't really confirm it but it's a widely known secret that CCB's canned beers are now being made at some Oskar Blues facilities thanks to the recent psuedo acquisition. Get yourself some fresh Jai Alai and enjoy it, dude!

There are can approvals for ones brewed at OB:

https://twitter.com/mybeerbuzz/status/757221680389513217

I dunno if all three are being brewed at all three facilities or if there will be one flagship per facility?

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

Hey gang, my show did a Pilsner Showdown that we thought was a lot of fun so I'll take a break from not spamming my poo poo to spam my poo poo for a minute. Check it out:

http://www.fourbrewers.com/pilsner-showdown/

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

As much as I love Oskar Blues, their pils even being in the top half shows that those guys have absolutely no taste

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

What do you do with a drunken Viking?

MunchE posted:

Hey gang, my show did a Pilsner Showdown that we thought was a lot of fun so I'll take a break from not spamming my poo poo to spam my poo poo for a minute. Check it out:

http://www.fourbrewers.com/pilsner-showdown/

Aww man. Wish y'all had been able to roll Noble Pistol Whipped into that lineup, I have a feeling it would have competed for the very top.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Good to see you had the sense to rank Prima over Pivo.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Also interesting to see that European imports by and large really suffer in transit. Who'd have thunk

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Control Volume posted:

Oskar blues and more specifically the popularity of canning poo poo owns

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Kaiho posted:

Also interesting to see that European imports by and large really suffer in transit. Who'd have thunk

As a filthy will never stop being weird seeing proper Budweiser labelled as 'Czechvar' (It's gone downhill in quality in the last decade, as well, or I've just been drinking better beer.)

edit: They got in Warfsteiner and Bitburger? Ew

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Control Volume posted:

As much as I love Oskar Blues, their pils even being in the top half shows that those guys have absolutely no taste

Some people still think of canned beer as being poo poo which baffles me as cans are the superior packaging method for normal people.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty
Crowlers picking up in popularity seems to be pushing that a lot too. They seem vastly superior to growlers - if for not other reason than not having to stock pallets of heavy, fragile glass bottles.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence

Knew Weihenstephaner would be #1 before I clicked :smug:

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

TenaciousTomato posted:

Knew Weihenstephaner would be #1 before I clicked :smug:

Is there any showdown of a style they make where Weihenstephaner wouldn't be in at least the top three?

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence

Schpyder posted:

Is there any showdown of a style they make where Weihenstephaner wouldn't be in at least the top three?

This is true. ~1000 years is a long time to perfect your recipes :D

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Their Helles is pretty lame-o though. Compared to Augustiner.

edit: In the podcast you guys talk about Urquell at the brewery "supposedly" being the best thing ever. I've had it (the unfiltered unpasteurized oak-aged stuff) and the sulfur in the caves really overpowered the beer sample itself. But it was good.

Holy hell was it good all over Pilsen though. That's the thing, I've not had that diacetyl note to such an extent anywhere within Czech. Maybe Bohemian pilsner just doesn't travel well? I legit couldn't recommend it enough when there though.

I had Prima Pils as one of my Cicerone beers. drat, it's good.

Kaiho fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Aug 9, 2016

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

wodin posted:

Aww man. Wish y'all had been able to roll Noble Pistol Whipped into that lineup, I have a feeling it would have competed for the very top.

It hasn't been in bottles for a bit, so we weren't able to snag any for this show. I agree that beer is really solid though.

Kaiho posted:

Their Helles is pretty lame-o though. Compared to Augustiner.

edit: In the podcast you guys talk about Urquell at the brewery "supposedly" being the best thing ever. I've had it (the unfiltered unpasteurized oak-aged stuff) and the sulfur in the caves really overpowered the beer sample itself. But it was good.

Holy hell was it good all over Pilsen though. That's the thing, I've not had that diacetyl note to such an extent anywhere within Czech. Maybe Bohemian pilsner just doesn't travel well? I legit couldn't recommend it enough when there though.

I had Prima Pils as one of my Cicerone beers. drat, it's good.

In retrospect, I would have liked to at least gotten a can of Urquell vs a bottle, but didn't have unlimited time and resources for driving from store to store trying to find various packaging combinations. The travel issue might be a very real one, and also considering the abundance of green bottles and lack of bottling dates for the Euros they could be older beer as well. However, it reflects the reality of trying those beers packaged around this area.

One neat thing trying a bunch if pilsners in a row, it does really give you an appreciation for the variety in the style.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
You're missing the pride of Lethbridge, and official beer of the Saskatchewan Roughriders, the legendary Old Style Pilsner:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECfvE07DYQA

The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

:fella:Life is overwhelming:fella:
The grocery store I work at some how got one day old cans of stick hands. I've never been more grateful for my 20% discount

No_talent
Jul 30, 2009

Juaguocio posted:

You're missing the pride of Lethbridge, and official beer of the Saskatchewan Roughriders, the legendary Old Style Pilsner:

I'm gonna get on my combine and bring you a 2-4, just let me get my watermelon hat.

I would drink Lucky Extra (1% extra party in every can!) over Pil. It's better at drowning the pain of being in "Rider Nation". And almost $10 cheaper for a flat.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

MunchE posted:

In retrospect, I would have liked to at least gotten a can of Urquell vs a bottle, but didn't have unlimited time and resources for driving from store to store trying to find various packaging combinations. The travel issue might be a very real one, and also considering the abundance of green bottles and lack of bottling dates for the Euros they could be older beer as well. However, it reflects the reality of trying those beers packaged around this area.

The cans I got seemed more like a celebration of how old the beer was with 4 different styles of art so maybe it was an exception, but they did print a best by date on them, but yeah I live in the middle of Denver and got them at a store known specifically for having a good beer selection so finding cans might be difficult even though it shouldn't be

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Popping back into this thread for my occasional reminder that tomorrow is once again cellar raid day.

Also, I'm going to drink the everliving poo poo out of this.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Well, if my work keeps wanting to send me on overnight trips to Ft. Washington, PA, I'm just gonna keep going to Forest & Main. :shrug:

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

No_talent posted:

I'm gonna get on my combine and bring you a 2-4, just let me get my watermelon hat.

I would drink Lucky Extra (1% extra party in every can!) over Pil. It's better at drowning the pain of being in "Rider Nation". And almost $10 cheaper for a flat.

I'd probably go for a good beer over either of those, but drinking a 24 of Old Style out in the wilderness is like the Canadian right of passage.

Hah, there's a Pilsner Place at Mosaic Stadium.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man
posted a huge for trade list in a local facebook group and a guy contact me to offer me multiple bottles of Stickee Monkee and Merveilleux- which is weird enough since they were actually in my ISO, which is a rarity with the local idiots- for and old Westbrook Mr Chipper, de Garde Loak, and 2013 Voodoo Apple Brandy Gran Met. i'd feel bad if it wasn't purely his suggestion (and he wasn't such a colossal dipshit already).

cellar-raided early with a Rising Tide Hesperus, 780 bottles of which were released in 2013. the bottle indicates that it was a blend of American barleywine and a hoppy strong ale and, unfortunately, it shows, because the hops are still way too prominent for my taste. the barrel character is actually really nice, at least, with really mellow booze and nice vanilla notes, but otherwise it was a kinda sweet, kinda oxidized generic American barleywine. nice packaging, though.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

These guys in Chicago look pretty neat.

http://thegirlandherbeer.com/2016/08/illuminated-brew-works-a-brewery-for-interesting-times/

Anyone been to Illuminated?

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Juaguocio posted:

The literal translation of Staropramen is "Old Style," so I guess you could say it was there in spirit. Staropramen is thoroughly mediocre to bad in the continuum of Czech pils quality so it's not just aping the name, either.

Kaiho posted:

Part of that may be service temperature, but yeah Czech beers (Bohemian or Moravian) don't travel well at all.

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004

funkybottoms posted:

2013 Voodoo Apple Brandy Gran Met.

Had one a couple months ago. Still terrible. Now it's all apple brandy and booze; not in a good way.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

This seemed like a good place to ask this question:

I'm getting married in ten days, and my groom-party gift will consist of some overpriced custom monogrammed beer growlers from an Etsy store filled with local craft beers. I asked my groomsmen earlier today what kinds of beers they like best, the growlers will arrive at my apartment today, and this weekend I'm gonna drive around to craft breweries in my area getting them filled.

The thing is, I live in Boston and the wedding is in New Jersey, and in the middle of next week I'm gonna have to drive the growlers south for about 5 hours or thereabouts at which point they'll sit for a few days before the big day arrives. I've done enough research to know that warm storage doesn't actually cause skunking (the growlers are brown glass, so no danger of that) but that it's still not great for beer flavor. I'm probably not gonna be able to find sufficient fridge space to cold-store them consistently for a week; should I bother doing that at all or is it okay to keep them at room temperature until the night before they get distributed? I'm gonna be sure not to leave them in the trunk of my car for days on end or anything at least.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Zwanze Day 2016 locations announced, October 1. I'll be in SF that weekend, and I already wanted to go to Mikkeller Bar! How bad of a shitshow is it?

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

loquacius posted:

This seemed like a good place to ask this question:

I'm getting married in ten days, and my groom-party gift will consist of some overpriced custom monogrammed beer growlers from an Etsy store filled with local craft beers. I asked my groomsmen earlier today what kinds of beers they like best, the growlers will arrive at my apartment today, and this weekend I'm gonna drive around to craft breweries in my area getting them filled.

The thing is, I live in Boston and the wedding is in New Jersey, and in the middle of next week I'm gonna have to drive the growlers south for about 5 hours or thereabouts at which point they'll sit for a few days before the big day arrives. I've done enough research to know that warm storage doesn't actually cause skunking (the growlers are brown glass, so no danger of that) but that it's still not great for beer flavor. I'm probably not gonna be able to find sufficient fridge space to cold-store them consistently for a week; should I bother doing that at all or is it okay to keep them at room temperature until the night before they get distributed? I'm gonna be sure not to leave them in the trunk of my car for days on end or anything at least.

My guess is that they will probably be fine and no one in the grooms party will be any the wiser. On the other hand you could use a large cooler packed with ice. That should last you 2/3 days depending on temps. Then pack with ice again and that should easily get you though to wedding day. If you have something like a Yeti I'd imagine you could make it a whole week.

FYAD SECRETARY
Aug 14, 2003

air- posted:

Zwanze Day 2016 locations announced, October 1. I'll be in SF that weekend, and I already wanted to go to Mikkeller Bar! How bad of a shitshow is it?

no clue about Zwanze, but as far as Mikkeller Bar, let's just say once was enough for me. it's pricey and in the heart of the Tenderloin, so expect to encounter many homeless/drug addicts/feces literally just laying on the side walk.

Oct 1st is my son's birthday so there goes any hopes I had for Zwanze this year.

Jorge Von Bacon
Nov 1, 2010
Takeaways from a very busy weekend of beer.

Family was nearby so we spent some time at two Long Island breweries: Sand City and Oyster Bay. Sand City had quite a few great beers, including their DIPA Second Wave, but also a fantastic table beer and light styles. Oyster Bay was a bit weaker on most of their beers, but their Schwarzbier was very nice and we felt they were more friendly than Sand City.

Saturday was the Ommegang Belgium Comes to Cooperstown event. This was the first big event my friends and I had been to and it blew us away. Totally fantastic atmosphere and crowd. From walking in and people pouring us homebrew as we walked to pitch our tents to later in the night where people just roamed around sharing whatever they happened to have. Learned that in the future, 4 hours is much longer than it seems even with so many people around. We accidentally started drinking during the "VIP" time and were feeling it before we had tasted through one side of the two tents. Had some of the best beers I've had from Perennial, Kelso, and too many others I was already aware of and learned about some newer breweries, like Prison City and Broken Bow.

Highlights:
Kelso Framboise - Raspberry sweetness to start with leading into a soft tartness that didn't overwhelm. Also got this poured onto a Bourbon County at the end of the tasting portion which was unbelievable
Prison City Tickle my Dickel - just a fantastic balance between the bourbon and belgian flavors
Broken Bow Broken In (I think?) - super surprising rich coffee and barrel character
Allagash Ghoulschip - had this at the very end of the night from some kind person who tried valiantly to teach me to say "cheers" in Hungarian, so can't remember much specific beyond that it was delicious. Ended up with the bottle as well somehow

Finally, spent time with my sisters Monday hitting up Greenpoint brewing, Keg and Lantern, and a quick stop at Torst. Greenpoint was nice, great food and fairly good beers, though many of them tasted like blue cheese in a way that they probably weren't supposed to. Already been to the other two, and Torst is always fantastic. Torst had a Basque cider which had a great blend of apple tartness with a really clean funk.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Holy Moly. If anyone is within range of Forest & Main in Ambler, PA, you owe it to yourselves to get some of their Banjo - cucumber cantaloupe saison, honestly one of the most refreshing things I've ever drank. If you like cucumber flavors, this is the beer for you.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
Cellar Raid:

2012 AND 2013 CW BBS!

2012 had a solid chocolate base with just a hint of oxidation. Some booze heat. Flavors are mostly muted, leaving that stale beer taste in the mouth at the end.

2013 is much more faded, with a mild acidity. Very minor infection? Barrel is not present at all. With CW's weak mouthfeel, this adds up to something akin to a poorly made milk stout. The only hint of the beer that this once was is in the nose.

So after having 2010 to 2013 over the last few months, I'm kind of shocked at how well the older ones held up while these most recent batches are not good. I had very little hope that this experiment wasn't going to be completely hosed; something this thin isn't an ideal candidate for cellaring but even back in 2013 I could have bought cases of this poo poo so why not?

I haven't seen a bottle since 2014 on the shelves.

But this was fun and surprising and everything that putting a bottle away for a while should be: an experiment.

Compusaurus
May 29, 2003
OK, I WILL, IN A MINUTE...
This wasn't a cellar raid but my wife and I split a BA Dino Smores from Off Color. Bit boozy and lacking what makes regular DS awesome in that the smores aspects are a bit faded. Regular > BA / Coffee.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Cellar raid was last night and it was a month old stickee monkee that I wanted to drink relatively fresh

Real good, nearly on par with rochefort 10 while still being its own distinct beer. Now Im down to a st bernardus christmas ale and 4 bottles of callipygian that I'm aging out. Ive done it. Im out of beer I can drink

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

Aw poo poo we're cellarraidin'? Time to go throw something in the freezer.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

MunchE posted:

Aw poo poo we're cellarraidin'? Time to go throw something in the freezer.

FYI if you cover the bottles in a wet paper towel they'll get cold faster than just sitting in the freezer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
Once again, I don't really feel like drinking anything I have in the "cellar," so I went for Driftwood's new Latus oaked sour, and I really dig it. Reminds me of a Flanders red, but dryer, with a really complex sour funk. They definitely did a good job balancing the different yeasts and bacteria.

Driftwood is killing it lately. The 2015 Singularity I found a while ago will make a nice cellar raid during the colder months. I just wish I hadn't missed this year's Old Cellar Dweller.

edit: last year's, I should say

Juaguocio fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Aug 11, 2016