Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Sword of Chomsky posted:

I'm waiting to see how they're going to take a Trump loss. We're in California and they are convinced he is going to win the state.

:negative:
If they're that far gone make the most of it and bet them that if Trump fails to get CA they'll have to stop looking at Breitbart, Drudge, etc. and if he wins it then you'll have to read Breitbart, etc. instead.

If you can get them to stop trusting or looking at extreme right wing propaganda you can break the spell. Otherwise yeah you're boned.

edit: this isn't too bad a plan either, you just can't use the 'oh yea remember when' card too often or it'll wear out and they'll just get mad at you instead of being properly chagrined for being conned into believing BS.

Unzip and Attack posted:

Your best play is just to egg them on about it as much as possible beforehand so that when Trump loses, you'll have something to hold over them for a long time to shut them up when they bring up politics. "Oh yeah like that time you thought Trump would win and he got demolished?"

The one thing conservatives hate more than anything is losing. Use that as a way to make politics as painful for them to talk about as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

zoux posted:

CNN's headline this morning was "Kindler, Gentler Trump?" but now it's a speech fact check.

The media is eager to run with whatever narrative the campaigns try and feed them that will make it look competitive. If Trump is -20 in mid-September and skipping debates, that's a worst-case scenario for cable news.

Headline News (yeah yeah yeah I have it on in the mornings to watch stupid videos while I get ready for work) said that Trump's Economics speech "silenced some critics." Goddamn.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

BonoMan posted:

Headline News (yeah yeah yeah I have it on in the mornings to watch stupid videos while I get ready for work) said that Trump's Economics speech "silenced some critics." Goddamn.

Stunned silence is still silence!

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

FlamingLiberal posted:

Just a heads up, but it won't shock me if some right wingers start playing up this dumb story here in Orlando about how the father of the Pulse nightclub shooter attended a Clinton rally yesterday in Kissimmee. Even though he came out immediately and condemned his son when the shooting happened.

Sarah Palin was pushing it and also that he was invited so the Tea Party idiots will probably internalize it as another reason to hate her. The idea was that Hillary will do anything to win votes but I'm not sure what demographic "father of spree shooter" is supposed to be garnering.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

BonoMan posted:

I know it sounds like we're just managing a future polls crash or whatever, but it is always in the media interest to have a very, very close race. Combined with their pathological obsession with "fairness" that means that whatever narrative the Trump campaign is trying to craft will be delivered if not by talking head surrogates then by anchors and presenters themselves.

edrith
Apr 10, 2013
https://twitter.com/NPRinskeep/status/763018829660381184

lol this is like the second or third tweet I've seen from some bigwig on NPR with the gist of "We have a standing invitation for you or Manafort to come on our show during primetime" after trump starts blathering about how the mainstream media is ignoring him

please rise to the bait, trump, i wanna see the milquetoasty east coast liberals tear you to shreds

Built 4 Cuban Linux
Jul 15, 2007

i own america

Emanuel Collective posted:

I could see this happening in the Senate races, but the most vulnerable Senators have already distanced themselves from Trump. The problem is in the House, where the GOP has gerrymandered their districts to hell and back, requiring more than just widespread apathy to overcome the incumbent.

Actually gerrymandering makes it easier for the other party to win in many cases, since (Republican example) the whole point is to consolidate Democratic votes into a few districts (so there are huge Democratic leads) and spread the Republican vote over as many districts as possible (with razor-thin leads) since every vote over 50% doesn't matter.

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

To be fair, if ACORN was a national organization designed to secretly steal the election for Clinton, then pretending to be shut down 7 years ago is the smart play.

To be fair, I doubt very many people actually believe this: PPP probably just asked, "Would it be ACORN's fault" and uninformed Republicans said "that sounds reasonable." Remember, this is the pollster that polled for whether Ted Cruz was the Zodiac Killer.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Built 4 Cuban Linux posted:

Actually gerrymandering makes it easier for the other party to win in many cases, since (Republican example) the whole point is to consolidate Democratic votes into a few districts (so there are huge Democratic leads) and spread the Republican vote over as many districts as possible (with razor-thin leads) since every vote over 50% doesn't matter.

There's good gerrymandering that preserves natural constituencies and there's bad gerrymandering that unfairly advantages a party over another.

That "good" gerrymandering would be hurt by many of the neutral proposals to reform redistricting is often a problem in rounding up enough support.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Is "good" gerrymandering really gerrymandering at all? I thought the difference between normal redistricting and gerrymandering was whether it was done so that constituencies make sense or to unnaturally benefit one party.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Aug 9, 2016

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

HorseRenoir posted:

From what I can tell, bad news for Trump keeps coming in so fast that no one really gives a poo poo about the speech.

CBS News, which is very Fox Lite since the new head, had Major Garrett on, reporting on it.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_Garrett

quote:

Prior to joining National Journal he was the senior White House correspondent for the Fox News Channel.

Garrett said basically, 'Well, he didn't go off message and the protesters didn't disrupt him. Which is what we expect from a House or Senate candidate. Good for him. But President requires higher standards.'
It may not be an exact quote, but it's essentially correct as to what he said and the tone he had.
'The speech content? Well, it's the same the House Republicans have been giving, which means he's not bringing anything new to the table here.'

The general summation I'm getting is 'He didn't poo poo his pants, which is more than anyone expected. That's kind of disturbing, really.'
Nobody was impressed, and nobody was impressed by the content, either.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

So then why didn't we win the House back in 2012?

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

I just said as much elsewhere. This means it's entirely possible that there could be a hell of a shock in the House. But not a predictable one.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Warcabbit posted:

CBS News, which is very Fox Lite since the new head, had Major Garrett on, reporting on it.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_Garrett

Garrett said basically, 'Well, he didn't go off message and the protesters didn't disrupt him. Which is what we expect from a House or Senate candidate. Good for him. But President requires higher standards.'
It may not be an exact quote, but it's essentially correct as to what he said and the tone he had.
'The speech content? Well, it's the same the House Republicans have been giving, which means he's not bringing anything new to the table here.'

The general summation I'm getting is 'He didn't poo poo his pants, which is more than anyone expected. That's kind of disturbing, really.'
Nobody was impressed, and nobody was impressed by the content, either.

If Palin was handled with kid gloves and was graded on a curve, I have zero idea what to call how Trump is being handled.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

Harrow posted:

Is "good" gerrymandering really gerrymandering at all? I thought the difference between normal redistricting and gerrymandering was whether it was done so that constituencies make sense or to unnaturally benefit one party.

No. The essentially universal definition of gerrymandering is when districting schemes are designed specifically to favor a party or a class of people through unrepresentative engineering of demographic concentrations.

This can be done generally through any of the Big Three methodologies of partisan districting: via (1) packing, (2) cracking, or (3) kidnapping.

Absent those three, you don't really have gerrymandering, you have neutral or fair districting.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Unzip and Attack posted:

Your best play is just to egg them on about it as much as possible beforehand so that when Trump loses, you'll have something to hold over them for a long time to shut them up when they bring up politics. "Oh yeah like that time you thought Trump would win and he got demolished?"

The one thing conservatives hate more than anything is losing. Use that as a way to make politics as painful for them to talk about as possible.

I was working election night in 2012 and my uber-conservative, painfully christian partner was convinced that Romney was going to landslide Obama because of the 'silent majority of hardworking christians' or whatever.

By the time they called the race he refused to even talk about the election anymore. He was 'bewildered' that America would 'vote against its best interests' twice in a row. :ironicat:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Article on the GOPe reaction to the latest Trump pivot. It's mixed.

anne frank fanfic
Oct 31, 2005

Mr Interweb posted:

So then why didn't we win the House back in 2012?

Its definitely not Guns. It cant be Guns.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

smug n stuff posted:

To be fair, I doubt very many people actually believe this: PPP probably just asked, "Would it be ACORN's fault" and uninformed Republicans said "that sounds reasonable." Remember, this is the pollster that polled for whether Ted Cruz was the Zodiac Killer.

This is actually the biggest problem with PPP - while they appear to have good polling strategies, they knowingly do "joke" questions and there's more reporting on those than on the boring stuff.

The jokes often create a narrative, as in the above, where if you're asked "would it be ACORN's fault" you have to be very confident in your knowledge that they don't exist. Most people will just think "Oh, I guess they're still around" when asked this, because otherwise they'd have to accuse the poll of lying to them.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Good article about the forthcoming Trump comeback narrative

"Still, even if none of this occurs, the media will eventually grow tired of the “Trump’s finished” story line and move on to the much more clickable “Trump’s comeback” narrative. Any day now, some Quinnipiac poll that shows a tied race in Pennsylvania will force Democrats to lose control of their bladders. A Trump surge in a stray tracking poll will result in a CNN Breaking News Countdown Clock that will tick down the seconds to an emergency panel of 37 pundits. The sheer hysteria of the “How Could She Blow This?” pieces will dwarf the collective freak-out that followed President Obama’s first debate loss in 2012. It won’t be pretty."

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

Hannity had a guy on to talk about taqqiya and how all Muslims are sleeper agents

I hope his is one of the heads that rolls in the coming Fox Cataclysm.

This guy was once arrested for having a 9mm in his carry-on luggage. Paranoid much?

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

A tired Republican campaign director shows the camera a clapboard. "Trump Pivot, take #1483," he sighs, as he snaps the clapper against the body.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

Harrow posted:

So I haven't paid that much attention to cable news coverage of the election recently. What's the media reaction been to Trump's new "on-message" style, like his Detroit speech? Is it the big turning point for Trump, or are people finally remembering that he's Donald Trump?

The child-care tax credit seems to be a boon for him (if CNN was anything to go by this morning), even if the rest is just the standard proposals of the GOP.

Nucleic Acids fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Aug 9, 2016

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Jesus Christ

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Nucleic Acids posted:

The child-care tax credit seems to be a boon for him (if CNN was anything to go by this morning), even if the rest is just the standard proposals of the GOP.

Although it's getting (rightly) flagged as problematically designed, since it's a deduction, not a tax credit, and so only benefits those families that pay sufficient taxes such that they take itemized deductions (rather than the standard). An actual tax credit would have far more impact, rather than being a giveaway to wealthy families that doesn't help anyone below a certain income.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

lmao

Aren't these fuckers the ones always whining about shadowy organizations up to no good?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Trump has barely gone one week without making GBS threads his pants. He'll do something really awful again just give him time.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

The Something Awful Forums > Debate & Discussion: You have a constitutional right to be a dumbass > USPOL August: Titties like Detroit!

Trump is like the penultimate caricature of US politics as seen by Benny Hill. All he needs is for Pence to shave his head so he can slap it repeatedly.

I also wonder if this means strip clubs will get Federal funding now. Could this be the cabinet position he was talking about for.. uh, never mind.

Edit: eliminating estate tax means anyone who inherits more than 5.5 million will be breaking the law. Didn't his dad leave him not only money, but a company worth $200 million? What a hypocrite, it will only eliminate tax for super rich.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Aug 9, 2016

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Chokes McGee posted:

A tired Republican campaign director shows the camera a clapboard. "Trump Pivot, take #1483," he sighs, as he snaps the clapper against the body.

5 more takes and they'll get it right

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Binary Badger posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Debate & Discussion: You have a constitutional right to be a dumbass > USPOL August: Trump's Embrace of Detroit Bounce

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Phone posted:

lmao

Aren't these fuckers the ones always whining about shadowy organizations up to no good?

Well when you are conducting shadowy, up-to-no-good operations, you assume everyone else is too.

Built 4 Cuban Linux
Jul 15, 2007

i own america
Well, the Orlando shooter's dad was at a Clinton rally: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-politics/wp/2016/08/09/orlando-shooters-father-spotted-at-clinton-rally/

Look for Trump to hit this hard for the next few days.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Well, the Orlando shooter's dad was at a Clinton rally: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-politics/wp/2016/08/09/orlando-shooters-father-spotted-at-clinton-rally/

Clinton camp already said it was an open event and that he was not invited, not that Trump would care.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

A lot of people are like "How could the Clinton campaign let this happen" but I dunno how you look out for that.

https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/763037851487309824

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Grundulum posted:

For the record, here are the PA congressional district leanings, per Wikipedia: R12, R10, R9, R6, R6, R6, R6, R6, R5, R2, R1, R1, E0, D4, D12, D16, D25, D39(!!).

If a Clinton +7 result translated to down ticket races, that's 10 House seats that switch control.

Get out the drat vote, people, and maybe this goes from a curbstomping to a wave election.

So I used to live in the PA-15th and I thought it would be somewhat close because it's a fairly purple area. This was the case from 2005-2013:

A nice mix of urban areas (Allentown/Bethlehem/Easton is the 3rd largest metro area in the state) and rural areas. Except now...

It extends all the way down to the Harrisburg suburbs (that's about a 2 hour drive), and excludes most of the urban areas it used to have. It is a stunning example of gerrymandering as they took an area that was fairly cohesive and communal and split it and extended it to protect the GOP incumbent. Dems will never win this district when it's in this shape. The brazenness is impressive :drat:

We really need a SCOTUS ruling or amendment to stop gerrymandering. This is a clear example of taking a tossup district (usually it was R+5 or R+6) to a district where the Dems didn't even run anyone despite it being close-ish every other election prior. I mean look at the table of past results:

axeil fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Aug 9, 2016

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
We talked about this yet? http://www.rightwingwatch.org/content/donald-trump-address-extremist-anti-lgbt-summit-orlando

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

zoux posted:

A lot of people are like "How could the Clinton campaign let this happen" but I dunno how you look out for that.

https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/763037851487309824

Horse race! Horse race!

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Chokes McGee posted:

"Trump Pivot, take #1483"

You missed a prime 1488 joke there

E: beaten

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

axeil posted:

So I used to live in the PA-15th and I thought it would be somewhat close because it's a fairly purple area. This was the case from 2005-2013:

A nice mix of urban areas (Allentown/Bethlehem/Easton is the 3rd largest metro area in the state) and rural areas. Except now...

It extends all the way down to the Harrisburg suburbs (that's about a 2 hour drive), and excludes most of the urban areas it used to have. It is a stunning example of gerrymandering as they took an area that was fairly cohesive and communal and split it and extended it to protect the GOP incumbent. Dems will never win this district when it's in this shape. The brazenness is impressive :drat:

I feel like you could get bi-partisan support for STV. Because then even in strongholds like New York you could get at least one local Rep that supports your interests. It comes down whether to merge the districts to enlarge them while keeping the total number of reps the same or tripling them and keeping the districts the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

axeil posted:

We really need a SCOTUS ruling or amendment to stop gerrymandering. This is a clear example of taking a tossup district (usually it was R+5 or R+6) to a district where the Dems didn't even run anyone despite it being close-ish every other election prior. I mean look at the table of past results:

Don't like it? Organize on the state level and win your leg back for 2020.

• Locked thread