Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

general anime posted:

phreak loving owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

never forget jungle sivir

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

KirbyKhan posted:

Phreak IS Riot Games.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

rabidsquid posted:

do those pro analysts tell their players what to build, because evidence doesnt support that these people exist

i mean every team in the lcs has a coach at the least and most of them have an analyst, i know clg has like two and tsm has who knows how many. however these analysts cannot force their players to buy the poo poo they tell them to in game so sometimes the analysts can say as much as they want to a player and it just wont matter.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
why did they let boxxy write all the champion voice lines!!!!! why!!!!!!!!!!!

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
More important than phreakhate:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfVr61aKUG0

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Going back to Aatrox for a moment.
http://matchhistory.euw.leagueoflegends.com/en/#match-details/EUW1/2788937377/40898001?tab=overview
I can't tell if it's my opponents having an aneurysm from seeing an Aatrox for the first time in years or if this crit build actually works.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
that is a very bad aatrox build

deadmans is extremely bad as his defensive item too

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

RealFoxy posted:

The worst part about Phreak is that I saw the new class spotlight on the Demon Hunters in WoW and they were trying so hard to emulate the champion spotlight style.

It's pretty much become the standard for games that have characters with unique abilities. The DC Comics MOBA (that died in the crib) and Heroes of the Storm copied it blatantly. I'm sure they are not the only ones.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Mierenneuker posted:

It's pretty much become the standard for games that have characters with unique abilities. The DC Comics MOBA (that died in the crib)

This still makes me sad. It had an incredibly rough closed beta, but by the end of its life had finally found a unique identity and was releasing a ton of really fun heroes.

Krypto is like a Rework Shen that isn't incredibly lame, Lex Luthor had Gangplanks barrel gimmick before Gangplank had it (on top of being heimerdonger with a global ult), and Sinestro is still one of my favorite moba designs.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Infinite Crisis had the issue of having their first available game mode being dominion

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
I really don't think there's room for more than two big traditional MOBAs. League and DOTA will be king until the genre is dead.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Sexpansion posted:

I really don't think there's room for more than two big traditional MOBAs. League and DOTA will be king until the genre is dead.

Smite's apparently doing pretty fine; I imagine its gimmick of being a console MOBA with intuitive controls (for a controller) will help it last a good while too.

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

i think someone could release a game that goes a little harder for what league has tried to do (individual player skill, probably less than 5v5) that could cut into both league and dota's player base a decent amount. stuff like dawngate was well made but was basically just "league but we added actual roles you pick" from what i can remember, they're not really setting themselves up for success with a model like that. like i was sure smite would be a huge failure because it was just "league with rotated camera" at launch but it seems like theres a demand for a more action-oriented, 3rd person camera kinda moba that smite has filled, but im sure someone could just do that better and totally kill that game.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Neurolimal posted:

Smite's apparently doing pretty fine; I imagine its gimmick of being a console MOBA with intuitive controls (for a controller) will help it last a good while too.

Yeah, I mean Overwatch has MOBA-esque mechanics. But in terms of top down, bog-standard MOBAs, there can only be two.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
it's difficult to compete in the moba market with the sheer amount of resources riot have available to them. some games do quite well though, for instance - awesomenauts had a french chameleon who called you a smelly imbecile

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

i havent been playing a ton lately so the game is dying, actually, and will be replaced with what i am playing: Tokyo Mirage Sessions. all hail our new anime single player moba on the nintendo

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

if they add chrom to league, well, im okay with that

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

i like it when touma says easy easy

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
league needs to start learning from superior japanese rpgs and add dating sims elements.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

rabidsquid posted:

i havent been playing a ton lately so the game is dying, actually, and will be replaced with what i am playing: Tokyo Mirage Sessions. all hail our new anime single player moba on the nintendo

More music vidoes is just what league needs I agree.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Tired Moritz posted:

league needs to start learning from superior japanese rpgs and add dating sims elements.

if u want to get enchanted crystal arrow u better rub ur ashe

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Honestly, they could integrate Krypto's gimmick into League and not lose much in the process. That gimmick being that Krypto could throw his bone and dash to it for an empowered ability, but allies could pick the bone up and he could dash to them, and allies could throw the bone farther than Krypto could. So you had incredibly satisfying plays where you'd pass your bone to your jungler, he would throw it behind the enemy, and suddenly the enemy is slowed, rooted, and his escape is cut off.

Just replace bone with sword, obviously. I mean dotes ripped off Nightmare Superman's passive wholesale for Vengeful Spirit :v:

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
also, I just want to say that dang it League of legends, what's the point of buffing Sona so you can just nerf her till she's trash?

why do you keep doing this

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
instead of buying normal items with your gold you can also buy pizzicato five cds and lipstick. keep gifting them to the enemy ahri, then after being charmed 6+ times she will become your gf

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
Remember this being discussed a lot back when IC's failure was in the news:
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2015-06-04-the-persistent-myth-of-the-moba-market

quote is from mid 2015 around the times of HOTS launch:

quote:

To put it in context; this is a genre which Blizzard is entering now, and we find ourselves asking serious questions about whether they've got what it takes to succeed. Blizzard, creators of the world's most successful MMO by an order of magnitude, progenitors of the world's dominant RTS and its associated pro gaming leagues, oh, and by the by, creators of Warcraft 3, the game that spawned the whole MOBA genre to begin with; we're not sure they have the chops. Valve is in the fray already, but while their MOBA title, DOTA 2, is doing okay, it's not taken the world by storm either and gets by on a relatively small but very devoted fanbase. That's Valve, creators of Half-Life, owners of the Steam platform that basically resuscitated PC gaming from its deathbed; that Valve. They're getting by in the MOBA market thanks to a devoted following.

These are world-beating companies. They're the best, or damned near it, at everything they do - and they're struggling, or expected to struggle, to make an impact on the MOBA market. That's because, if we're being entirely honest, there isn't a MOBA market; its very existence as a "genre" is a fiction dreamed up by marketeers and producers with dollar signs in their eyes. There's a League of Legends market. It belongs to Riot Games. It's got something like 150 million people playing every month. It's approximately as welcoming to newcomers (new players and new games alike) as a kick in the teeth with a steel-capped boot. It's an out and out phenomenon, but it's one game - and the notion that it's just a dominant player in the "MOBA market", as distinct from other MOBAs being also-ran clones of League of Legends, is a fantasy, even if you're Blizzard or Valve.

There's similar articles about MMOs/WOW and I agree with those too largely. Every post-WOW MMO I've ever seen has basically not last more than 1-3 months as a popular game and then becomes extremely niche with diehard fans. Meanwhile, WOW (which is now what, 12 years old?) and has like 4x the playerbase of any of the other MMOs or probably the equivalent of all of them put together not even including when the new expansion comes out next month. Most places where people discuss MMOs they constantly lament any good new ones, and it's probably because a real market for them has never existed beyond the apex of Everquest and WOW.

A real market for MOBAs has never really existed beyond DOTA / League / DOTA 2. Smite and HotS get by on extremely passionate niche followings. Mechanically I really like both of those games but I can never convince anyone to play either of them with me so I mostly don't.

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

i feel like "imitation mobas/mmos don't do well" isn't a particularly hot take in 2016 because i dont remember any other DOOM clones setting the world on fire, ditto for GTA clones and COD or Gears ripoffs. No one really looks at Uncharted as a Gears ripoff even though it is also a third person shooter the same way no one thought Gears was a Resident Evil 4 ripoff, but when anyone looks at elder scrolls online or infinite crisis they just feel too similar to the original thing and instead of people caring about whatever that game is doing its just a mental comparison to the thing they already have and only the most direhard fans that are burned out on game prime would really care.

i think hots was the only moba that had potential to really do well but they forgot to make the game interesting so it just felt like extremely lovely league of legends instead of how most blizzard games tend to feel. like compare overwatch and hots, i dont even think a single person at blizzard working on hots gave a poo poo and frankly i suspect the reason they didn't have a moba in development when there was an obvious demand for a successor to dota was because no one at blizzard cared about making one.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

FF11 and FF14 have both done decently. (14 after a huge relaunch, but the relaunch was because the game was just broken).

also dota 2 has something like a million people playing it at any given time. I wouldn't really call that a 'small but very devoted fanbase.' I can get that compared to LoL it's smaller, but that's like saying the meteor that killed the dinosaurs was small compared to the sun.

I think there's space for smaller games in the market for both genres, but they have to go in with the knowledge that they'll be alternatives, smaller, more niche experiences, that won't be able to compete with LoL/WoW. I don't think a million players, or a million subscribers, is a failure. It's just not the most.

Killed By Death
Jun 29, 2013

Endorph posted:

FF11 and FF14 have both done decently. (14 after a huge relaunch, but the relaunch was because the game was just broken).
XI came out before WoW tho.

Endorph posted:

if they add chrom to league, well, im okay with that
We've already got Marth, let us learn from Smash Bros and not flood the game with sword using FE characters :colbert:

Safety Scissors
Feb 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Not gonna lie, logged in this morning just to get the golden chest. I got a zed skin shard. Honestly, the whole thing was not as exciting as I expected. You also get two thirds of a chest. I randomly got 1/3rd of a chest on my alt and together that opened into dunkmaster darius and mecha sion. I got project yi on that account, but like I don't even care especially with the other two drops. At least yi scraps for more than zed.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Speaking of shards, I got another chest yesterday, opened to get a Pulsefire Ezreal shard, and now I'm lamenting if I will ever get anything I actually want to disenchant.

I'm about 100 orange essence from Dark Star Thresh.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
I got project: Fiora but I accidentally forged an icon instead of the skin, oops.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

What golden chest?

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT

Ignite Memories posted:

What golden chest?

Buy one of each of the Red, Green, Blue chests with IP. Then buy the yellow chest with IP. Open all of them. The yellow one contains a project skin shard. All of them give you project cores that you can use to make the project shard a full skin.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
dark star thresh looks terrible

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Oh, ok, I see them now.

My yellow box had a project zed shard, which is a cool looking skin for a champ i'm really not into. Is there any way to get another yellow chest, or do I just hope for project ashe in red boxes?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Endorph posted:

I think there's space for smaller games in the market for both genres, but they have to go in with the knowledge that they'll be alternatives, smaller, more niche experiences, that won't be able to compete with LoL/WoW. I don't think a million players, or a million subscribers, is a failure. It's just not the most.

In fairness, this is the situation in a whole lot of industries. Wikipedia's got a veritable graveyard of WWE competitors.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Tired Moritz posted:

dark star thresh looks terrible

A lot of Thresh's skins are silly, but I love the hero these dumb things are attached to.

Infinite scaling, a hook, scaling for every variety of item build, and One Punch gimmick? Yes please.

E: speaking of weird skins, why does Thresh have a Blood Moon skin? Is Lucian from Psychic Samurai Island?

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Aug 9, 2016

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Vermain posted:

In fairness, this is the situation in a whole lot of industries. Wikipedia's got a veritable graveyard of WWE competitors.
looking forward to the lol competitor that has robocop and chucky

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Scissors
Feb 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Riot said you'll be able to disenchant all the extra poo poo after the event is over. Does anyone know if you'll get orange or blue essence out of it?

• Locked thread