Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Or you could get the kreg jig rip kit I mentioned earlier, it's basically track saw lite for 28$. Nowhere near as nice, mind you, but it's a great way to start out on the cheap, and get similar results.

I'd still get a circular saw since there's all sorts of terrible things I do with circular saws I wouldn't want to do with a nice track saw. Like cutting house sheathing vertically for a window replacement, or using it as a miter for 4" thick boards, etc. About the only thing I haven't done is zip tied it to an upside down milk crate for instant table saw

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Gonna have to recommend you use fiber cement shears for this job, not a masonry blade. Cleanup is just so much faster when you aren't coating everything within 5 meters with cement dust.

:aaaaa:

I had no idea this existed! Thanks! Might be worth picking up next time I do a large section, though for now I'll stick with my 8$ mason blade

Rnr posted:

If you're in Europe, I suggest you do your tool shopping in the UK, while their currency is in the dumpster. Even with freight to mainland EU it is cheaper for me than buying in country. I have Makita's newer brushless recip saw incoming, which isn't even available locally yet! And also a 5amp battery. Oooh the tension of waiting. Planning to replace a complete window installation this coming weekend - it will be handy there.

Solid buy! If the 3 amp hour batteries and brushed recip saw are anything to go by, you're pretty much never going to have to swap out batteries

Catatron Prime fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Aug 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

OSU_Matthew posted:

Or you could get the kreg jig rip kit I mentioned earlier, it's basically track saw lite for 28$. Nowhere near as nice, mind you, but it's a great way to start out on the cheap, and get similar results.

The reason why I don't like that approach is you spend $150-$200 on your circular saw and jig, and then later on you need something more capable and you end up spending another $400+ on a track saw or table saw, and never/barely use your circular saw anymore. If you can spend an extra $200 up front on a track saw, you've got something that can at least limp through any table saw task (and in plenty of cases do them better), so you'll spend less in the long run (and when you just need a circular saw, you'll have a drat good circular saw).

OSU_Matthew posted:

I'd still get a circular saw since there's all sorts of terrible things I do with circular saws I wouldn't want to do with a nice track saw. Like cutting house sheathing vertically for a window replacement, or using it as a miter for 4" thick boards, etc.

I don't know why not. I'd rather use my track saw for that.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

OSU_Matthew posted:

I had no idea this existed! Thanks! Might be worth picking up next time I do a large section, though for now I'll stick with my 8$ mason blade

I did the siding for my workshop using just the shears. They're kind of tedious for rip cuts, and it can be a little tricky to cut in a straight line with them, but I'm much happier with the amount of mess. My lungs are much happier with the amount of mess.

Sointenly
Sep 7, 2008

uwaeve posted:

Track saws seem awesome, I will do some more research. Are you implying that, as someone with zero saws, I should get a track saw before a circular? Not challenging you, just trying to understand. Seems like I could use it as a circular, but it needs to be plunged for every cut, and do I wind up loving up the shoe if I use it without the track regularly?

edit: wait were you even responding to me?

I would absolutely go with a track saw first. I'm dead serious, in the last 3 years I've probably used a circular saw once, maybe twice(?) and really i'm probably over estimating at that... on the flip side I've used the track saw countless times. I mean, what's the application where you're going to pick a free cut with a circular saw over a guided track cut or a different saw? Ok, maybe if you're framing something and using a worm drive to cut 2x's on the fly, but yea that's about all i can think of.

One thing about track saws through, you're going to want to pick up a couple pieces of foil backed foam insulation to use as a surface to cut on.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Wera is Amazon's current deal of the day: https://www.amazon.com/b/ref=lp_143...n=ATVPDKIKX0DER

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I replaced a bent 10+ year old B&Q circular saw with a scheppach track saw and basically forgot about needing a table saw. I paid less than £200 too, with 2x700mm tracks. I ordered a 1400mm track but I'm happy either way.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I'm in the market for some flex head metric hand wrenches. The type that have an open socket you can reach in tight places. I've looked at some GearWrench brand and they seems super expensive. Are the hand tools from Home Depot/Harbor Freight whatever solid enough? I dont need them for professional daily use but I dont want a lone single rusty bolt to break a tool a week in either.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

I love Wera tools, but I can't really justify $40 on a set of screwdrivers when I have a drawer full of perfectly good mismatched drivers. Although my OCD really wants a set so that they are all consistent.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
I recently installed one of those new ryobi garage door openers. Works well enough, but I noticed an ozone smell in the area after it runs. Is this abnormal enough to worry about or just the motor doing normal motor things.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

Sale was yesterday. :(

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Falco posted:

I love Wera tools, but I can't really justify $40 on a set of screwdrivers when I have a drawer full of perfectly good mismatched drivers. Although my OCD really wants a set so that they are all consistent.

This was me. I've always owned mismatched screwdriver sets so I gave in and bought the Wera for $23 yesterday.

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I'm in the market for some flex head metric hand wrenches. ... GearWrench brand and they seems super expensive. Are the hand tools from Home Depot/Harbor Freight whatever solid enough? I dont need them for professional daily use but I dont want a lone single rusty bolt to break a tool a week in either.

I don't own any Gearwrench or HF tools but both generally get high praise for the price. And I wouldn't consider Gearwrench "super expensive". Compare it against American made brands. Proto is one of the less expensive American brands and their wrenches are $25-30 each.

If you feel like taking a chance, these are an even better deal than HF. I would consider them disposable because you'll never get a warranty replacement.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B016VK99GI/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used&m=A2L77EE7U53NWQ

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Mercury Ballistic posted:

I recently installed one of those new ryobi garage door openers. Works well enough, but I noticed an ozone smell in the area after it runs. Is this abnormal enough to worry about or just the motor doing normal motor things.

Could be (ab)normal arcing inside the motor, can you hear any arcing while it's running?

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Nah, sounds fine as far as I know, but my sample size is 1.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
If it’s not tripping the motor’s safeguards, it’s probably fine.

Assuming the motor has safeguards.

Rnr
Sep 5, 2003

some sort of irredeemable trash person
gently caress me, the new makita recip saw is a sweet rear end tool of cutting mayhem. Makes me want to chop up things that should remain whole. Again, I urge Euro goons to shop in the UK - if you buy for more than 150 pounds it will be cheaper for you, despite freight, due to the weak pound.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Mercury Ballistic posted:

Nah, sounds fine as far as I know, but my sample size is 1.

Eh. How often do you really need to run the garage door anyway, twice a day? Four times on weekends? That's like a 0.05% duty cycle. It'll be fine.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related

Sagebrush posted:

Eh. How often do you really need to run the garage door anyway, twice a day? Four times on weekends? That's like a 0.05% duty cycle. It'll be fine.

Yeah, ran it a few times, and it has several safeties and there was no trips or anything. The smell may be something else anyway as I could not smell it today. Yay old houses.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
It was probably the brushes/motor burning in. Almost zero consumer electronics are tested prior to shipment, so the brushes are not matched to the commutator. First run usually runs them in correctly. Of course, for an AC induction motor, there aren't brushes, but the motor still might have oils or grease in them that burn off with the first run. If it does it a lot, or worse, that's bad.

Bogatyr
Jul 20, 2009
https://www.amazon.com/Greenlee-DTA...enlee+drill+tap

I have been using these Greenlee drill/tap bits for a couple years or so now. I use them most often chasing threads in network racks. There are hundreds in our network that were rusty when they were painted and the paint is in all the wrong places... They do work well for drilling and tapping a new hole in thinner material. I drive them with my Milwaukee 18V Fuel Impact. Broken a couple of the 12/24s but driving a tap with an impact comes with risks... They do fine and I recommend them highly.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

I would like to have multiple bench grinders so I don't have to change out the wheels for different jobs. Ideally, I'd like to have six different wheels installed. Is my best bet just to buy three bench grinders, or is there a better solution?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Buy three grinders and make a flip top bench.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
I just got a 125mm 150W bench grinder from ALDI for $25AUD, it's pretty good. Gotta swap out one wheel for a wire brush though.

Sointenly
Sep 7, 2008
Thoughts on compressors < 2 gallon?

I guess it makes me a wimp, but i find even dragging around a small 3 gallon hot dog compressor to be quite the pain in the rear end (to be fair the thing still weighs 50-60lbs)

Staring down the barrel of installing about a thousand feet of base in case at my house. Really considering pulling the trigger on either a cordless nailer, or one of these little sprites:

http://www.senco.com/tools/details-page/pc1010

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

Sointenly posted:

I guess it makes me a wimp, but i find even dragging around a small 3 gallon hot dog compressor to be quite the pain in the rear end (to be fair the thing still weighs 50-60lbs)

Staring down the barrel of installing about a thousand feet of base in case at my house. Really considering pulling the trigger on either a cordless nailer, or one of these little sprites:

I owned this compressor for a while, and while it's great, it's just too small for most projects. And even though it's small, it's still quite loud indoors. I think if I were to start it all again to use with smaller nailers, I would just buy a battery powered nail gun. Quiet, easy, with no hoses or cords.

I have heard rave reviews about the Rolair JC10 compressor if you want to go the conventional route. Or the California air compressors, although they are usually a bit larger.

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy
Welp, I own a track saw.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Sointenly posted:

Get a pancake model? 3 gallon for < 30 lb.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Sointenly posted:

We have one at my bike shop and if you're using anything it's almost constantly running. It's very loud, combined with constantly running makes it a real pain to use. Put some wheels on one end of your compressor and slightly longer leg extensions to level out your current one so you can just roll it?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I saw in a hardware catalogue that Hitachi now has a buck converter "skin" with a USB socket on the end.
Great idea, but they want $50 for it. :stare:

Made one myself for about $3.

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
breakdancin the night away

Sointenly posted:

Place compressor in one place, buy 100ft 3/8" air hose, problem solved.

The air load of the nailer you're using for base should not tax the flow capability of the hose, even at that length.

Sointenly
Sep 7, 2008

Tim Thomas posted:

The air load of the nailer you're using for base should not tax the flow capability of the hose, even at that length.

I have a 1 year old running around the house which is why I generally done do this. Makes life much easier if I can confine myself to one room at a time.

So far it sounds like the Senco is going to have it's own set of problems, maybe I need to explore the 18v nailer options.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Sointenly posted:

I have a 1 year old running around the house which is why I generally done do this. Makes life much easier if I can confine myself to one room at a time.

So far it sounds like the Senco is going to have it's own set of problems, maybe I need to explore the 18v nailer options.

California Air Tools compressors arecan be surprisingly quiet, just get one of them (you can even get the tank in Al instead of steel).

e: their quiet series is quiet-ish, the rest are fairly loud

deimos fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Aug 9, 2016

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
Protip: Brand new drill bits are sharp (especially 8mm ones)

Possibly :nms: Link

Don't move ladders with drills resting on top of them, and especially don't try to catch a falling drill, unless you want 3 stitches in your arm.

But in lighter news I bought some proper masonry bits instead of some crappy ones I found lying around (I honestly don't know where I got them), and my god I hate myself for not doing so earlier, they actually drill holes instead of making a bit of dust and getting red hot.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Spookydonut posted:

Protip: Brand new drill bits are sharp (especially 8mm ones)

Possibly :nms: Link

Don't move ladders with drills resting on top of them, and especially don't try to catch a falling drill, unless you want 3 stitches in your arm.

But in lighter news I bought some proper masonry bits instead of some crappy ones I found lying around (I honestly don't know where I got them), and my god I hate myself for not doing so earlier, they actually drill holes instead of making a bit of dust and getting red hot.

:(:hf::(That sucks dude... I tore out a similar chunk of my arm brushing up against a bit chucked in my drill press. My spouse still razzes about how the only times I've been injured on power tools are when they aren't even plugged in

uwaeve posted:

Welp, I own a track saw.

Solid choice! I mainly advocated for the plain circular saw plus kreg kit as a way to save some scratch and still accomplish the same stuff, but if you've got the means at your disposal, a track saw is definitely a great buy :)

Plus cordless saws are awesome and really convenient these days.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Tim Thomas posted:

Place compressor outside the door/window and use your 100 feet of hose throughout the house. Enjoy relative quiet no matter how loud the compressor.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

stealie72 posted:

Place compressor outside the door/window and use your 100 feet of hose throughout the house. Enjoy relative quiet no matter how loud the compressor.

This one weird trick neighbors HATE!

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Platystemon posted:

Maybe. But it beats working in the same room as the compressor. Just try to avoid doing it at 2AM.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Platystemon posted:

But they love their dogs that bark all the time, maybe they will love my compressor too!

xwing
Jul 2, 2007
red leader standing by

Ouch.

I was being an idiot once and did that to my hand with a 3/8" drill bit. I was drilling a resin piece that I couldn't be bothered to clamp somewhere and held it in my hand. I was like 19 at the time and home alone over a summer. Called my mom very lightheaded and said, "I drilled my hand." She was picturing a donut hole... and it was more like push a small chunk in.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

uwaeve posted:

Welp, I own a track saw.

Which one did you end up buying? I was thinking about picking one up for ripping sheet goods on some upcoming projects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

Sointenly posted:

I'd lean towards a Paslode or cordless. They're just so convenient and not a mini-ordeal to haul around. A compressor might be better for this particular trim job, but after that a Paslode or cordless might get more use. Depends of course on how you see things going forward, as there are obviously a lot of tools you can run off a compressor.

I've had the same Paslode framing and finish nailers for more than 10 years and love them, but understand that not everyone likes the gas cartridges. I don't mind the smell, and have gone months without using the gun and the gas was fine. I've only used the 18v Dewalt and it worked great, but it's heavy and bulky; haven't seen many reviews of the newer Bosch, Makita and Milwaukee 18v. If you go Paslode, most people I know prefer the angled model over the straight.