Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Randy extreme is the only way to play

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I have honestly never done a Randy run, I should. It would he nice to have some variety rather than "race for the killbox"

Someday I will learn to properly use my colonists for defense

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Walton Simons posted:

And all the injured ones have died of infection. I thought five decent shots would be able to take out some beavers :negative:

Jesus christ this game is annoying when everyone starts having too many breakdowns to do anything about the things that are giving them breakdowns. I've been trying to move a corpse out of the lab for three days, it's giving the remaining colonists -17 mood.

Oh my loving god stop going berzerk because of the corpse and maybe instead loving bury it

Seriously, it's mental break > basic needs decline because of break > come out of break > take care of food and rest > have another breakdown in the time it takes to eat a potato

Set work priority for hauling to 1 manually and that should sort itself out. I had a similar problem due to vomit and then set a gal to have cleaning as her primary role and my base has been pristine since.

It really can't be exagerated how important it is to use manual priorities, specially in emergencies. I just had a flash fire sprouting on the other side of the map, so I set my entire team to harvest a long block of plants between the fire and my base to keep it from reaching us.

Pigbog
Apr 28, 2005

Unless that is Spider-man if Spider-man were a backyard wrestler or Kurt Cobain, your costume looks shitty.
Just started playing this and I've lost three colonies the exact same way: a flash storm that starts fires on opposite ends of the map. By the time my colonists can even get to one of them they have spread out of control and burn down all the trees on the map.

Does this always happen? Is there a way to deal with it?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Pigbog posted:

Just started playing this and I've lost three colonies the exact same way: a flash storm that starts fires on opposite ends of the map. By the time my colonists can even get to one of them they have spread out of control and burn down all the trees on the map.

Does this always happen? Is there a way to deal with it?

You mean that the trees have burned down or your whole colony? You can just put stone walls up to block fire

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

DreamShipWrecked posted:

You mean that the trees have burned down or your whole colony? You can just put stone walls up to block fire

I'd think stone floors would be more efficient to stop fires. Any raid will knock down the walls.

Pigbog
Apr 28, 2005

Unless that is Spider-man if Spider-man were a backyard wrestler or Kurt Cobain, your costume looks shitty.
Okay so I can stop it from destroying my stuff, but will I be okay without trees? Can I survive on a map with no wood whatsoever?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Pigbog posted:

Okay so I can stop it from destroying my stuff, but will I be okay without trees? Can I survive on a map with no wood whatsoever?

As long as you aren't using campfires or wood burning generators, sure. Wood is the most cost efficient material but if you research stone cutting then it is a perfectly passable replacement, if a bit slower.

The caveat is that no woods means no animals, so you need to have an ace farming plot going

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Pigbog posted:

Trees are a renewable resource if you can wait a season. They take a season to grow but don't seem to mind the cold. Set a big ol' farm plot to grow trees.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Pyromancer posted:

I think the idea is that you cook fast so you make it all into meals before it spoils and store many meals in the freezer, as opposed to keeping raw in the freezer and making no more than 10 meals or whatever is needed for 1-2 days.

A risky strategy as if you get a heatwave/eclipse/flare you may lose all of your food.

I would generally suggest that a one tile stockpile will actually permit you to go through most of the food put in it just by cooking it into meals as they are eaten. Assuming a population of at least four colonists or so. 75 units of food is about 2 days worth of meals for four people, so the stockpile should be completely rotated through every 2 days.

Mzbundifund posted:

Trees are a renewable resource if you can wait a season. They take a season to grow but don't seem to mind the cold. Set a big ol' farm plot to grow trees.

They will survive in the cold but won't grow in it, so you can't grow during winter but partially grown trees will survive until next spring.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Aug 9, 2016

dangerous.hotdog
Feb 29, 2008

Azhais posted:

If the endgame wasn't about outnumbering your colony 700-1 killboxes wouldn't be needed.

I like Quill18, Blitzkriegsler, Rough Pebble, and Idle Thumbs has been livestreaming it lately

Just to add one more, Cromulent Archer's A14 LP is pretty chill: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=playlist

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Refried Noodle posted:

Yeah, i dislike this a lot. I want to use my colonists for fighting. Does picking Randy Random make that possible or is there a mod I should be looking into?

Short answer is yes, Randy Random is way more balanced/fair although sometimes it will unload some dumb poo poo on you anyway.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

It kind of says something when someone that is supposed to be basically chaos is the most balanced AI of them all. gently caress you, Cassandra

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Mini gun feels like inaccurate garbage. Sprays bullets everywhere but your target. Guess it's meant as more of an are weapon? :shrug:

In other news, a siege was set up right in the middle of a herd of boomalopes. The chain reaction was glorious, I think I killed nine raiders with a single shot.

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)

Panfilo posted:

Mini gun feels like inaccurate garbage. Sprays bullets everywhere but your target. Guess it's meant as more of an are weapon? :shrug:

In other news, a siege was set up right in the middle of a herd of boomalopes. The chain reaction was glorious, I think I killed nine raiders with a single shot.

try and use it in your base it doesn't pick between friend or foe, wood or stone

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Panfilo posted:

Exactly, each shot in a burst has a high chance of not landing in the tile you're shooting at but on the other hand if you fire it into a crowd of tribal dudes or a manhunter pack then it can hit many targets. Personally I'm not a big fan of that mechanic but I guess if you had 10 dudes with miniguns that would be pretty formidable.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Flesh Forge posted:

Exactly, each shot in a burst has a high chance of not landing in the tile you're shooting at but on the other hand if you fire it into a crowd of tribal dudes or a manhunter pack then it can hit many targets. Personally I'm not a big fan of that mechanic but I guess if you had 10 dudes with miniguns that would be pretty formidable.

Tribals are actually one of the worst use cases for a minigun as basically if one tribal manages to walk up to one of your dudes, they're both going to get killed by minigun fire.

I do not use the miniguns unless I have no better weapons to give out. In cases where I'm stuck with a minigun I give it to my least favorite colonists who are used for front line troops who cannot possibly shoot a friendly or flankers who are supposed to go behind the raiders and shoot them at close range.

In short, really the assault rifle is a better choice than a minigun in almost every case.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

FileNotFound posted:

In short, really the assault rifle is a better choice than a minigun in almost every case.

Totally agree with that except I wouldn't say "almost".

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
i really hate the new mod menu, it's even worse than the old bad one.

please, just give me click and drag... but saving mod configurations would be wonderful, too. i cant tell you how many hours (literally) i've spent at various times trying to get back to the mod load order that was working before i borked it. i've finally started taking screenshots of my load order, though, so at least i eventually learn from my mistakes.

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

The registration form on the official forums keeps insisting that I'm filling out the verification questions at the end incorrectly. But everything is in order - It even marks the relevant fields if you actually do make mistakes, and nothing showed up. Just the error message.

Anyone else have that problem, too?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Drink Cheerwine posted:

i really hate the new mod menu, it's even worse than the old bad one.

please, just give me click and drag... but saving mod configurations would be wonderful, too. i cant tell you how many hours (literally) i've spent at various times trying to get back to the mod load order that was working before i borked it. i've finally started taking screenshots of my load order, though, so at least i eventually learn from my mistakes.

Yeah, EDB's mod order mod not being updated is the greatest tragedy of this release

Azzents
Oct 19, 2010

"Quoting, like smoking, is a dirty habit to which I am devoted."
Now this is a really cool mod. It gives the game a chat filled with other people who use the mod, but its main function is that it allows people to trade items and colonists.

I hope in the future it will allow you to set up and send out your own trade caravans.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
It sounds like the minigun is working perfectly realistically as a machine gun though? Like, you're supposed to aim MGs so that the cone of fire lands on enemies in enfilade.

I guess it's confusing in the game because you target it line of sight and the bullets don't actually arc, but a real MG can just fire over a hill to a grid reference and fill like, an intersection 2km away with bullets. Would setting that sort of thing up work fairly well in this game stock?

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

tuyop posted:

It sounds like the minigun is working perfectly realistically as a machine gun though? Like, you're supposed to aim MGs so that the cone of fire lands on enemies in enfilade.

I guess it's confusing in the game because you target it line of sight and the bullets don't actually arc, but a real MG can just fire over a hill to a grid reference and fill like, an intersection 2km away with bullets. Would setting that sort of thing up work fairly well in this game stock?

Well it's more that your pawns are totally braindead and will fire into a crowd of friendliess to kill a mad squirrel and there is no way to tell your idiot colonists to only aim their gun downrange. That's what makes the minigun a poor choice - it's useless against 1 enemy and too dangerous to use against a crowd without frantic micro management.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

tuyop posted:

It's awful in game because real MGs are designed for suppressing fire, not accurately killing people. But since enemy pawns are utterly suicidal it doesn't work that way and it just becomes a guessing game

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I'm pretty sure if a skilled operator/shooter fired a minigun at a single cow, the cow would be dead pretty much instantly. Also the shooter would manage not to shoot himself with his own weapon even if the cow were 5 feet away from him.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
At the very least it also means fighting mechanoids armed with miniguns is basically a safe bet if you have cover. Or even if you don't. Miniguns are the worst.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

Danaru posted:

At the very least it also means fighting mechanoids armed with miniguns is basically a safe bet if you have cover. Or even if you don't. Miniguns are the worst.

They always seem to bring inferno launchers for me.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Danaru posted:

I have literally had a shooter kill a minigun wielding centipede with a survival rifle by standing out in the open while the vast majority of minigun bullets scattered harmlessly. You fire them into a crowd because due to how accuracy works you're literally more likely to hit the guy next to the target than the target itself. Aim at the tree next to them if there's only one.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Flesh Forge posted:

I'm pretty sure if a skilled operator/shooter fired a minigun at a single cow, the cow would be dead pretty much instantly. Also the shooter would manage not to shoot himself with his own weapon even if the cow were 5 feet away from him.

Yeah, if you can see the target well (say 500m or so) and are really good you're looking at like, a 30-50 cm grouping IIRC. I've forgotten the beaten zone figures for like 2km stuff, though. I think it's like 500m wide (at a certain point it changes from narrow and long to wide and short for some baffling physics reason) for large machine guns, so the odds of getting hit if its just one gun are actually fairly low.

Not relevant here, though. Miniguns just sound broken.

Forer
Jan 18, 2010

"How do I get rid of these nasty roaches?!"

Easy, just burn your house down.

Slime posted:

I have literally had a shooter kill a minigun wielding centipede with a survival rifle by standing out in the open while the vast majority of minigun bullets scattered harmlessly. You fire them into a crowd because due to how accuracy works you're literally more likely to hit the guy next to the target than the target itself. Aim at the tree next to them if there's only one.

So by that logic, Minigun users are immune to melee as they can shoot themselves and miss, only hitting people nearby

I hope this is actually an intended and possible mechanic

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Power is so annoying before you can get geothermals up and running. Anyone have a good mod for power options? Right now I've got laser drills which let me add/fill steam vents but manipulating steam vents on a map is still kind of screwy. I have tried LUA editing before this and it has the same problem in that being 4x4 entities, their orientation is handled weirdly (you think you know their anchor point and then they anchor on a different point :shepicide:)

Also have Glittertech but I'm saving that for when I'm a bit more familiar with the base game since I'm not sure how that mod plays with Randy Random.

damnfan
Jun 1, 2012

Azzents posted:

Now this is a really cool mod. It gives the game a chat filled with other people who use the mod, but its main function is that it allows people to trade items and colonists.

I hope in the future it will allow you to set up and send out your own trade caravans.

I added some QoL changes to the mod that the author merged into the main mod. I have a change that I've been using locally that I'm not sure if he wants in the mod. Got tired of having to haul things across the map from the random placements when shipping stuff so I made sent things drop similarly to trade drops.

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

Played through 3 colonies so far, Rough Rando has by far been the most enjoyable way to learn the game. I could see how I might like Cassandra way, way down the line, but for now I'm enjoying the base building with occasional threats thing.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

EponymousMrYar posted:

Power is so annoying before you can get geothermals up and running. Anyone have a good mod for power options? Right now I've got laser drills which let me add/fill steam vents but manipulating steam vents on a map is still kind of screwy. I have tried LUA editing before this and it has the same problem in that being 4x4 entities, their orientation is handled weirdly (you think you know their anchor point and then they anchor on a different point :shepicide:)

Also have Glittertech but I'm saving that for when I'm a bit more familiar with the base game since I'm not sure how that mod plays with Randy Random.

Glittertech is actually fairly laid back if you do NOT help people running away from the commandos - they won't attack you till way late game. Personally though I'm not a huge fan of the Glittertech mod as I think the guns it adds are ridiculously OP and kinda dumb down the game as the set pretty much everything on fire which means the pawns run around trying to put the fire out rather than fighting back. The mod seems to expect you to use the mortars to deal with the commando raiders which really suck the fun out as well as they are incredibly mindless and also stupidly OP if you build more than just 1 - and no reason not to as they totally make even the expanded turrets mod turrets obsolote. Oh and almost forgot the nanosuits or whatever they are that give a 500% speed boost or something crazy like that meaning your colonists zoom around the map and can highhandedly kite a manhunter pack of wargs to death - never mind how quickly they can complete other tasks etc.

I've not had any problems with the laser drills and that has been my main method of dealing with power problems.

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013
So I picked this up last week and it's hit some kind of unholy OCD bone in my body - I am no longer getting to bed at a reasonable hour and I loving hate beavers.

Last night I endured the worst unfortunately series of events I've had yet. Toxic Fallout started and restricted everyone indoors to my mountain fortress - not to worry I have enough food to last for a few weeks. A poison ship then dropped nearby, so I sent everyone out to deal with it. A flash lighting storm started and set the other half of the map on fire, but all good I have automatic fire suppression systems near the entrance.

Then a Solar Flare happened.

And a raid started.

While everyone is in bed or the medbay recovering from the fight with the poison ship and toxic exposure.

This happens over a two day span, on Chillax Base Building setting while I was learning the ropes... turns out a mod I had to increase trade ship frequency also increased event frequently ::unsmigghh:

(The raid was a non event though, they all burned before they got near the fortress.)

damnfan
Jun 1, 2012
If anyone is using the Phi mod, I changed it so it drops near your trade beacon like the traders in game. No idea what happens if you don't have one since I didn't test it.
https://github.com/SimonNguyen/Phi/releases/tag/v0.7.3-Beacon

LordAdakos
Sep 1, 2009
The closest I've come to creating mods for this game was to add a few plants to produce miniscule amounts of steel, sythn fabric, and plasteel. I hated not having a renewable source for those materials. Combined with the Quorn (plump helmet/meat plant) mod, farming becomes fun and good.

I also made sun lamps require less than 1600 watts and hydroponics are 50 watts each now because gently caress they were expensive.

But modding is fun and good and fairly intuitive.

edit: my plant mods available at https://github.com/LordAdakos/

Please forgive the lovely graphics! I'm certainly no artist. (I'm lucky that the transparent layer works)

LordAdakos fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Aug 10, 2016

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Havent played in ages and booted up into a tribal game.

4 women and 1 man, who proceeded to burn through each of them. Leaving a wake of depressed ladies.
Then i had a boomrat go mad. Normally not too bad but i had a herd of boomalope in the centre of my base, so goodbye all the trees over half the map.

I then had a refugee escaping a pirate group. I should have left her as she was beyond useless.

Then without warning i had 2 pawns collapse. By the time i realised they had heatstroke it was over. Another 2 dropped while the first two died. Betty 'i wont carry poo poo to no one' refused to even help the sick after we helped her escape the pirate group and was the last one left after mr playboy collapsed.

Not sure i like the slow research. I was about 3 days away from unlocking electricty too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009

Meskhenet posted:

Havent played in ages and booted up into a tribal game.

4 women and 1 man, who proceeded to burn through each of them. Leaving a wake of depressed ladies.
Then i had a boomrat go mad. Normally not too bad but i had a herd of boomalope in the centre of my base, so goodbye all the trees over half the map.

I then had a refugee escaping a pirate group. I should have left her as she was beyond useless.

Then without warning i had 2 pawns collapse. By the time i realised they had heatstroke it was over. Another 2 dropped while the first two died. Betty 'i wont carry poo poo to no one' refused to even help the sick after we helped her escape the pirate group and was the last one left after mr playboy collapsed.

Not sure i like the slow research. I was about 3 days away from unlocking electricty too.

Yeah, the tribal start is pretty hit and miss, all it takes is one heat wave to gently caress the entire colony. The fact that you start with 5 pawns lulls you into thinking it'll be easier than it is.

I've stopped going for electricity at this point, tailoring is cheaper and I figure it's easier to bang out a few dusters and cowboy hats with the leather lying around from butchering than setting up power infrastructure. It still takes a long rear end time to get there, but it's faster than electricity IMO.