Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Yeah, with that they've hit all the important stretch goals and I'm glad I went in for the base price, the game looks really fun. :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
If this Armored Core fiasco has left a robot-sized hole in your heart, let Giga-Robo fill that void.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

If this Armored Core fiasco has left a robot-sized hole in your heart, let Giga-Robo fill that void.

Hey, Armoured Core deserve some respect. They've managed to drop below $170k.

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom

Flavivirus posted:

Today in 'Strange Resurrections of Ancient Licenses', someone is trying to make an SLA Industries miniatures wargame: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/darumaproductions/sla-industries-cannibal-sector-1 :confused:

Is that something to avoid? People at my club are a little excited...

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.

glitchkrieg posted:

Nah, just was very confused that it was getting a new lease of life. Then again, most everything from the 90s is getting brought back in one form or another these days, so I shouldn't be surprised!

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Flavivirus posted:

Today in 'Strange Resurrections of Ancient Licenses', someone is trying to make an SLA Industries miniatures wargame: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/darumaproductions/sla-industries-cannibal-sector-1 :confused:

:stare: Already funded and blew threw some stretch goals.

Always heard of SLA when the nichest of the niche games were brought up but I never knew there was this much support for it. Then again this my perspective as a West coaster and the IP is UK based.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

glitchkrieg posted:

No. Never heard of a problem with SLA. I'd compare it to the game "Underground" in terms of theme and obscurity. SLA may have been ahead of it's time with it's focus on reality TV turned murder TV in the 90s. Clearly inspired by Running Man, but still "reality tv" wasn't on everyone's radar at the time.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
SLA Industries in these post credit crunch and Brexit days would have amazing legs as an RPG where the different departments of SLA have turned on each other in the face of a massive recession in the World of Progress and austerity slashed budgets leading to internecine resource raiding. I'd love a fresh iteration of the RPG but Dave Allsop seems to be both determined to do it solo while having no time to work on it so I'd say it's in development hell for another few years.

In the meantime I'll back the war game for the rulebook and hope.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Giga Robo saw a huge burst in pledges right before it ended. They even got over 1,000 backers. Armored Mech Core Command continues to lose more money and backers.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Giga Robo saw a huge burst in pledges right before it ended. They even got over 1,000 backers. Armored Mech Core Command continues to lose more money and backers.

I decided I couldn't pass up a game of giant super robots and it helps that it looks halfway decent, so I threw in for $95 to get the game, expacs, and all the mechs prepainted. The extra ultimate form figures seemed like a bit of an extravagance to me, I'm willing to drop a hundo on a Kickstarter board game (this is about what I paid in for Millennium Blades for example) but nearly twice that is past my threshold for indiscretionary spending. Still they managed to hit every stretch goal but the soundtrack which to be honest I never really cared about, but I'm glad that plastic buildings and the art revamp went through. Here's hoping this turns into a KS success story and not a "where are they now" down the line.

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

Giga-Robo having the playable online version and rules pdf pretty much secured my backing. Hope the manufacturing goes well.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

What Ho World, my second kickstarter, has just launched: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1549920133/what-ho-world-a-roleplaying-game-of-farce-and-eleg?ref=dtrpg

What Ho World is a roleplaying game set in the breezy 1920s London of P.G. Wodehouse's My Man Jeeves, E.F. Benson's Mapp and Lucia, and musicals like The Gay Divorcee. It's a time of feckless gadabouts enjoying life in jazz clubs, overbearing great-aunts ensnaring their family in their schemes, and surprisingly competent servants devising plans to get their charges out of whatever farce they've got themselves into.

The game itself is meant to be easy to just jump into: it's in the form of a deck of cards that fits into your pocket, setup and character creation is a breeze, and the mechanics guide the story without the need for a GM or any prep. We've been designing and testing it for years now and we're very proud of it.

If any of that sounds interesting, give it a look!

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

That sounds like a lot of fun, and I'll back it. Was interested in getting a physical copy, but the £20 shipping to NZ is a killer.
Will happily grab the PDF though.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Oooooh, finally what we've been waiting for!
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1817579974/pc-police-the-cure-for-political-correctness-gone

Time to take down those despicable "PC Police" through a lovely Monopoly-style board game!
:jerkbag:

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

JazzFlight posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1817579974/pc-police-the-cure-for-political-correctness-gone

Time to take down those despicable "PC Police" through a lovely Monopoly-style board game!

There are days I'm tempted to compile a list of Kickstarter projects like this just to see how many have actually successfully funded.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

JazzFlight posted:

I don't know what irks me more, the "no EBT cards accepted" dig at people receiving food stamps, or the use of two spaces after periods in the copy.

No, I lied. It's definitely the spaces.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
I think my favorite part is this bit from his bio: "...(having been ranked #1 in the nation in inter-college debate)" yet he wants to rag on sociology majors in the reward tiers

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

FastestGunAlive posted:

I think my favorite part is this bit from his bio: "...(having been ranked #1 in the nation in inter-college debate)" yet he wants to rag on sociology majors in the reward tiers

Yeah, that's also bullshit. Here is a list of inter-college national debate winners. His name is missing from that list.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

FastestGunAlive posted:

"Art and Jan are traditional men who are comfortable with their masculinity..."

Well, I suppose when you're making a "PC Police" game and your dad has a girl's name, it's important to shout loudly that you're "comfortable with [your] masculinity" in case anyone doubts otherwise.

Also, the "oppressed groups"... what the hell is the money bag supposed to represent?

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
At this point politically incorrect rng joke card games are the new heartbreaker AD&D knockoff.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Kaza42 posted:

Yeah, that's also bullshit. Here is a list of inter-college national debate winners. His name is missing from that list.

Hell, I'm having trouble finding this rear end in a top hat on FACEBOOK.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.

YF19pilot posted:

Well, I suppose when you're making a "PC Police" game and your dad has a girl's name, it's important to shout loudly that you're "comfortable with [your] masculinity" in case anyone doubts otherwise.

Also, the "oppressed groups"... what the hell is the money bag supposed to represent?

I'm guessing it's something to do with antisemitism.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Neopie posted:

I'm guessing it's something to do with antisemitism.

That's what I figured, but I spend too much time in the Libertarian thread in D&D and had to be sure it wasn't me reading too much into it. What am I talking about, there's no way you can read too much into a game designed by these kinds of assholes.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
Still only two backers? Who'da thunk.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Have any of these "lol let's be terrible" CAH-wannabes ever actually funded?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Have any of these "lol let's be terrible" CAH-wannabes ever actually funded?

The Cynade and Happiness one did because C&H.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

YF19pilot posted:

To be fair on this front, Jan is also a man's name that's fallen way out of fashion. (I know this because it's my father's name and also my grandfather's, and because we often rib him for receiving form letters and other automated mail naively assuming that he's a woman. :v:)

The rest of this is still a raging dumpster fire of a project, of course. In addition to what's mentioned above, their "Risks and Challenges" section is comically arrogant in asserting that nope, nothing can go wrong.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

NGDBSS posted:

The rest of this is still a raging dumpster fire of a project, of course. In addition to what's mentioned above, their "Risks and Challenges" section is comically arrogant in asserting that nope, nothing can go wrong.

They even imply that they've already ordered product. Have fun paying for it!!

InShaneee
Aug 11, 2006

Cleanse them. Cleanse the world of their ignorance and sin. Bathe them in the crimson of ... am I on speakerphone?
Fun Shoe
I don't think this game looks very good!

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I vaguely recall seeing one CAH/Exploding Kittens-esque coattails rider getting funded but I can't remember what it was called because after a while they all just blur together.

The thing that leaps out at me about all these "woah haha S J W's and political correctness, amirite?" games beyond the obvious is how pretty much each and every one of them manages to patently demonstrate that the people behind them have absolutely no idea how to successfully market a game on Kickstarter, we're talking "have done literally zero research, we just expect money to magically appear in our bank account because that's how crowdfunding works." None of these games ever feature any sort of print-and-play demo, communication and updates are minimal to nonexistent, there's no serious breakdown of the risks and challenges to show people that you know what you're doing, many of them rarely even feature stretch goals which can be a double-edged sword but are still I would argue an important way to keep a crowdfunding train running.

Take Giga-Robo for example, or a Kevin Crawford KS. These projects feature betas and demos that people can play and discuss which builds word of mouth and informs customers that your project is more than hot air, you get regular updates to keep things fresh in peoples' heads and foster a sense that the creator is focused on the project rather than just laying it out there and quietly forgetting about it. For lack of a better word, these projects build hype. They get people excited and, especially in the case of a newcomer like Giga-Robo, help allay peoples' suspicions of yet another overambitious Kickstarter promising the moon but only having a few ideas scribbled on a napkin and something goes horribly wrong and oh poo poo now what (see the Totally Not Armored Core game which continues to hemorrhage money on an hourly basis).

Now let's look at A Jew, a Black, a Christian, and a Gay Walk Into a Terribly Named Game, another "has political correctness gone TOO far?" masterpiece in the making. With 17 days to go AJABACAAGWIAB has garnered the interest of a whopping 53 backers pledging nearly $3,800 of a $20,000 funding goal. So how many updates have the creators posted in the almost two weeks this project, their baby, has been live? One. A single update which says "hey, we're doing a radio interview, don't forget to spread the word!" Do they have a demo version of the game? Nope, sure don't. What's their breakdown of the funding and the potential risks they're facing? Pretty much nothing. Stretch goals? Uh-uh.

This isn't to say that this game would be sailing to success on a sea of money if only they followed these simple steps, it's entirely possible that the overlapping section in the Venn diagram between "Kickstarter boardgame supporters" and "people who chuckle knowingly at Donald Trump speeches" is extremely narrow, but I think it's pretty interesting that I've yet to see a project like this where the creator actually seemed to know what they were doing in terms of marketing and hyping their game, I would have expected to see someone come along and do so by now even if it's just down to the law of averages but pretty much every time it's the same thing, just a pitch for a lovely game left to fend for itself for 30 days with no support whatsoever.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

cptn_dr posted:

That sounds like a lot of fun, and I'll back it. Was interested in getting a physical copy, but the £20 shipping to NZ is a killer.
Will happily grab the PDF though.

Yeah, international shipping small volumes is a bastard. Best I can recommend is seeing if you can get a few other people to go in on the retailer tier, and split the shipping between you. Still, I'll try and investigate better shipping prices.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Kai Tave posted:

There are days I'm tempted to compile a list of Kickstarter projects like this just to see how many have actually successfully funded.

IDK ask that one dude who only posts to shill his games in here

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

El Estrago Bonito posted:

IDK ask that one dude who only posts to shill his games in here

Oh I know the answer to that one already.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I don't know what's funnier, the fact that he did the exact thing you've been talking about or the fact that it only got 8 backers.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

InShaneee posted:

I don't think this game looks very good!

I think people are missing the worst part.

It's a Monopoly knock-off.

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Thunder rolled. It rolled a six.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Again the thing that regressive politics tend to go hand-in-hand with regressive game design.

"Art brings his game and design background to the enterprise," yet he appears to have made a roll-and-move game as though he's barely played any games that weren't sold at Sears.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Also hilariously unaware of the originally left-wing slant of The Landlord's Game.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Alien Rope Burn posted:

http://obozosamerica.com

probably :nws:

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

That color scheme is loving offensive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
Now I know what game to stock if I ever open a board game cafe in Joplin, Missouri.

That book too.