Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

In news related to the console Nintendo is releasing this year, the NES Classic Mini sounds like it has a good selection of display modes.

NES games look pretty bad on the Wii U VC (they're scaled directly to HD with a bilinear filter that heavily blends pixel edges, and they have their brightness/saturation cranked down), so this is the dealmaker/breaker I was wondering about.

Sounds like the options are:
  • Full-screen 4:3 - this requires scaling to about 4.5x the original resolution, and since that's not an exact integer, there will either be some slight blurring or some distortion of pixel shapes.
  • Pixel-perfect - each pixel is scaled up to a clean square of pixels (probably 4x4). The resulting image won't completely fill your TV screen, but it will be as crisp as possible.
  • CRT mode - may replicate things like screen curvature, scanlines, shadow masking, etc. Hard to say til we have a sample, but I'm most excited about this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

lol at anyone buying the NES Mini.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.

s.i.r.e. posted:

lol at anyone buying the NES Mini.

It's me, I'm buying it, it is no laughing matter

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Fools and their money and all that.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You can keep being bitter while I will be enjoying Castlevania and StarTropics on the NES Mini this holiday, but not before honoring Satoru Iwata by playing Balloon Fight for the first time

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
It's like 60 bucks for 30 good nes games. That's a good deal unless you're gonna herp derp about how you could pirate them instead.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

On a piece of lovely proprietary hardware that everyone's going to use once and leave on a shelf to collect dust.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
your options for legally playing those games:
  • buying a used NES off of craigslist/ebay as well as a decent composite to HDMI scaler (good luck finding one that doesn't stretch the video horizontally) – ~$30 for the NES, and about $50 for the scaler
  • buying individual cartridges of all of those games – between $20-40 per game, with the more well known but less common games being pricier – ~$1800 for the same set of games but as original cartridges
  • buying the individual games off of the wii u or wii virtual console for $5 each – total price for the full list of included games: $150

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

You can keep being bitter while I will be enjoying Castlevania and StarTropics on the NES Mini this holiday, but not before honoring Satoru Iwata by playing Balloon Fight for the first time
lol @ this guy who didn't get Balloon Fight in Animal Crossing

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

s.i.r.e. posted:

On a piece of lovely proprietary hardware that everyone's going to use once and leave on a shelf to collect dust.

an NES game on proprietary hardware you say!

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

have fun scrolling through all the lovely romhacks and minutely different cartridge dumps to find and play "Super Mario Bros (1985) [JU] [o] [a] [!].nes"

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

IMO the way to think of the NES Mini isn't as hardware at all, but as a bundle of games-- a bundle you don't need to own any particular console to play. If you wouldn't be annoyed to see these games sold on a disc, you probably shouldn't be annoyed to see them sold as a retro novelty device either.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

s.i.r.e. posted:

Why even play video games

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

TheScott2K posted:

gently caress Mario Party forever

Actually that game is called Mario Key Party

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Germstore posted:

an NES game on proprietary hardware you say!

I too believe that games should locked down to worse versions of hardware they released on 30 years ago.

Instant Sunrise posted:

have fun scrolling through all the lovely romhacks and minutely different cartridge dumps to find and play "Super Mario Bros (1985) [JU] [o] [a] [!].nes"

If only there was a search function or something on computers, hmm... I think someone should figure that out.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I think everything about the NES Mini is a brilliant $$$ strategy for Nintendo and also a fantastic product.

I already own more than half of those games and an NES and I want one, for a number of reasons.

edit: I obviously don't know if the implementation is good yet, but have every reason to be optimistic.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
The Nintendo NES Mini well sell more lifetime units than the WiiU. Maybe from this holiday alone.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

s.i.r.e. posted:

I too believe that games should locked down to worse versions of hardware they released on 30 years ago.

If only there was a search function or something on computers, hmm... I think someone should figure that out.

Well until they release an official version of SuperMarioBros.rom you don't have a legit open platform for nes games.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

greatn posted:

The Nintendo NES Mini well sell more lifetime units than the WiiU. Maybe from this holiday alone.

Almost certainly at a higher profit margin.

If this and pokemon go are what it takes to keep the company as a whole in the green so they can spend wads of cash on projects like splatoon, then I am all for it.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Cable length is going to ruin the NES mini for everyone

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

s.i.r.e. posted:

Why does this bother you

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
GameStop will probably have a wireless adapter day one.

I'm buying it for my kid personally, as his first video game system so I think he won't give a poo poo about cord length.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

nobody tell s.i.r.e. about the 10NES chip

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Germstore posted:

Well until they release an official version of SuperMarioBros.rom you don't have a legit open platform for nes games.

Yeah, and it's a drat shame, I really wish they'd do the Sega thing where you can get Sonic on Steam and people can upload their stupid ROM hacks on the Workshop and you have full access to modifying the controls and display filters to get the games looking however you want. I hate to see old games die because they're tied down to hardware that isn't manufactured anymore and whatever still exists is going to eventually wear out.

I hope Nintendo goes third party sooner than later.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
the nes mini is not made for the type of person who would download an emulator anyway, why are you so bitter about this

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
yeah drat you right. No one has ever even heard of the NES

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

s.i.r.e. posted:

I hope Nintendo goes third party sooner than later.

I don't think you deserve to have that Yoshi's Island avatar anymore tbh

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
going third party has been great for Sega, ofc

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
My steam Genesis games run like absolute garbage for some reason. Can't get then to run smooth at all.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

greatn posted:

My steam Genesis games run like absolute garbage for some reason. Can't get then to run smooth at all.

You lack Blast Processing. Checkmate, PC gamers.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

TheScott2K posted:

You lack Blast Processing. Checkmate, PC gamers.

Don't forget the High Definition Graphics, it says so right on the case.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
i cant wait for it to be torn down and revealed to be some midrange cell phone chipset running virtual console encapsulated emulators and hackers figure out how to a) play other games and b) execute homebrew via usb

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

nigga crab pollock posted:

i cant wait for it to be torn down and revealed to be some midrange cell phone chipset running virtual console encapsulated emulators and hackers figure out how to a) play other games and b) execute homebrew via usb

this is pretty likely, but i'd think it's more likely that they're using a similar soc to the 3ds, if not the same one.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
I'd always just assumed they were using modified Wii's for it.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Dexo posted:

I'd always just assumed they were using modified Wii's for it.

I think this is most likely. Lots of clues. All 30 of these games are on the Wii eshop (unlike 3DS or WiiU), the controller adaptor is a Wii adaptor, etc.

I think the NES Mini is the shrunk-down guts of a Wii in an NES shell.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Instant Sunrise posted:

• buying a used NES off of craigslist/ebay as well as a decent composite to HDMI scaler (good luck finding one that doesn't stretch the video horizontally) – ~$30 for the NES, and about $50 for the scaler

You could also probably just get a CRT TV and save about $50. Maybe somebody will give theirs away.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

I don't think you deserve to have that Yoshi's Island avatar anymore tbh

The writing is on the wall at this point. No one buys Nintendo hardware, making devs not want to support the platform which makes no one want to buy it; it's a vicious cycle Nintendo created for themselves. They should really start transitioning away from hardware (since no one wants it) and slowly put their old titles on mobile devices and hardware that actually sells and just go third party.

The NX sounds like a disaster waiting to happen, you have some sort of stupid portable/home console hybrid thing that's running off a Tegra chip that's on par with an Xbox 360 and it uses cartridges (ugh) but isn't going to be backwards compatible with the Wii U or 3DS? Hmmm, don't know about that one. Nintendo's hardware has always been really, really stupid but this sounds like it takes the cake.

greatn posted:

I'm curious as to what you're running under the hood for this to even be possible.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I..I get the feeling you don't actually like Nintendo.

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

NES mini was confirmed trash the day we didn't get confirmation you could hook up 2 nunchuks to play pong :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

s.i.r.e. posted:

Fools and their money and all that.

you paid money to post on an internet forum

• Locked thread