Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hobolicious
Oct 7, 2012

The military might of a country represents its national strength. Only when it builds up its military might in every way can it develop into a thriving country.

1-800-DOCTORB posted:

All hope seems lost for our heroes as the White Walkers have crossed the last line of defense within King's Landing. Jon Snow lays on the ground dying of a mortal wound as the Night's King approaches. "It's time to end this" he says chillingly as he is about to deliver the final blow when suddenly a fully greyscaled Jorah bursts through the wall yelling, "NO, IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME".

And out pours an army of stone men, for Jorah has become King of the Stone Men, and brought them to Dany's aid.

Or you know, something touchy feely like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
Jorah accidentally infects Dany who slowly succumbs to the infection. In one of her final moments she laments how the disease has changed her and then looks directly into the camera and states "for I am now Lady Stoneheart".

hitchensgoespop
Oct 22, 2008

lifts cats over head posted:

Jorah accidentally infects Dany who slowly succumbs to the infection. In one of her final moments she laments how the disease has changed her and then looks directly into the camera and states "for I am now Lady Stoneheart".

Then winks at the camera

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

hitchensgoespop posted:

Then winks nods at the camera

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
Are there even Lemoncloaks in Braavos.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

hitchensgoespop posted:

Then winks shits at the camera

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I started actually reading the books. I'm like 75 pages in. Do the chapters stay this short the whole way through? It bounced around characters every 5 pages.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

drunken officeparty posted:

I started actually reading the books. I'm like 75 pages in. Do the chapters stay this short the whole way through? It bounced around characters every 5 pages.

It goes up to 15-20 pages on average around the third or fourth book, but I rather like the setup.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I thought the first three books were very well-paced.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

4 and 5 would have potentially been good if there was a time skip like he planned. But he thought that we needed to read about Tyrion wondering about where whores go and Dany day dreaming about Daario for 1100 pages. The show is like 100% better than the books at this point.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Solice Kirsk posted:

The show is like 100% better than the books at this point.

Please don't troll.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

regulargonzalez posted:

Please don't troll.

,but he's right.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
Something is better than nothing I guess.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I dunno I read the first three books and some of the fourth and I kind of like the show more, even in its slow spots it gets rid of the extra garbage GRRM adds to the narrative.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Invalid Validation posted:

I dunno I read the first three books and some of the fourth and I kind of like the show more, even in its slow spots it gets rid of the extra garbage GRRM adds to the narrative.

I'm literally shaking right now, I can't even speak

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I actually liked book 4, but it felt like it came from a different series entirely.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Reminder that the show doesn't have Strong Belwas.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
It's not the reminder we asked for, but the one we deserved :smith:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Super Ninja Fish posted:

Reminder that the show doesn't have Strong Belwas.

This is still the cut that stings.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

There were characters with more on-page presence and plot importance that got cut than Strong Belwas imo. I, for one, wouldn't have minded seeing Victarion Greyjoy, Gemma Lannister, the Shavepate or Jon Connington. Or, gently caress it, Arianne Martell, a perfectly serviceable character they wasted on grafting it onto Ellaria Sand

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

the jizz taxi posted:

There were characters with more on-page presence and plot importance that got cut than Strong Belwas imo. I, for one, wouldn't have minded seeing Victarion Greyjoy, Gemma Lannister, the Shavepate or Jon Connington. Or, gently caress it, Arianne Martell, a perfectly serviceable character they wasted on grafting it onto Ellaria Sand

And they passed on the chance to show all kinds of boobs and sex-related shenanigans with Arianne, but I guess they fused it into that one sand snake whose name escapes me. Let's call her Boob Snake.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
But does no one miss Penny? :v:

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
A reminder that GRRM doesn't kill main characters in half a scene (Roose Bolton, among others) or 50 in one fell swoop just because he's too dumb to know what to do with the pacing (Cersei's Great Sept Adventure)

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Grrm doesn't kill main characters because he doesn't write.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Though regardless, there wasn't a single main character in the Sept explosion, of course.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Lycus posted:

Though regardless, there wasn't a single main character in the Sept explosion, of course.

Tommen died pretty soon after.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

The show will have an ending in our and GRRM's lifetimes. Automatically better than the books

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

computer parts posted:

Tommen died pretty soon after.

Middle tier, I'd say. High middle, but middle nonetheless.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
The high sparrow got tons of screen time the past two seasons. Margaery and Loras have been on the show since forever.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

emanresu tnuocca posted:

The high sparrow got tons of screen time the past two seasons. Margaery and Loras have been on the show since forever.

One middle tier and two minor characters.

No way am I gonna think of every character with a name as a "main character".

Lycus fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Aug 10, 2016

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Marge is a main character, and I suspect the fat man had something else in mind for her.

What it is, we'll never know.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013
she was not a main character, she was never going to have an effect on the outcome of the endgame.

Main characters are

Jon
Bran
Cersei
Tyrion
Dany

possibly

Jaime
Sansa
Theon

Undead Hippo
Jun 2, 2013

TommyGun85 posted:

she was not a main character, she was never going to have an effect on the outcome of the endgame.

Main characters are

Jon
Bran
Cersei
Tyrion
Dany

possibly

Jaime
Sansa
Theon

So, okay- Robb, Joffrey, Tywin, Robert, Ned, Catelyn, Stannis. Were any of those deaths "Main"?

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006
Ned and Catelyn were main characters until they died. Tywin, Joffrey, Robert and Stannis are important secondary characters.

Stannis is a character who has more importance in the world of the story than in the actual narrative.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

Undead Hippo posted:

So, okay- Robb, Joffrey, Tywin, Robert, Ned, Catelyn, Stannis. Were any of those deaths "Main"?

I don't think so. They're important for telling other people's stories and moving pieces into place but I wouldn't consider them tier 1 main characters.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
Ned was absolutely the main character of season 1.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Lloyd Boner posted:

Ned was absolutely the main character of season 1.

I can't see how anyone could even argue against that. No later season had a single main character, but he was it that season.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Hey we can argue about a lot of things in the offseason but nobody wins when we argue about who is or isn't a main character in this show or the book series.

Anyone with more than a single pov chapter is a main-ish character in the books. In the show who loving knows, it's like, point to a region, and who do you see the most there? Jon in the north, Cersei in the south, Dany in essos. on a massive fleet headed to westeros, Arya's in the riverlands now.

Those are your mainest characters in the show. Pretty much everyone else's arc is playing off whatever jon's doing or cersei is doing or what dany is doing, or whoever arya is killing.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

hemophilia posted:

Anyone with more than a single pov chapter is a main-ish character in the books.

Quentyn: the mainest of main characters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

TommyGun85 posted:

Quentyn: the mainest of main characters

The thing that sucks about the way these books are done is it's pretty hard to iron out main characters. If you get their POV, that usually implies some level of importance, but it doesn't always go that way in asoiaf. They were a big enough deal that the fat motherfucker that makes us care said, yeah, this needs to be written, this guy needs to tell this part of the story, for these 30 pages, this book is about Gary Exposition, he lives and dies like he matters.

• Locked thread