Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

Equilibrium posted:

Yeesh Batman #4 is bad. I was looking forward to King's run, he's a much better writer on a technical level than Snyder, but it really feels like he has nothing at all to say with this character. I'm getting no feeling of who Batman is to King beyond that he's some ineffectual naif with the superpower of teleportation, trapped in yet another story about what if Gotham(!) was the main character.

It's also weird to see people highlighting the tacky All Star reference as something cool and not plainly distasteful.

TwoPair posted:

I don't see how it's distasteful at all. It's drawing a parallel between Gotham and Superman by intentionally mirroring an iconic Superman moment. You can say it's distasteful by having it go wrong because it's Batman setting up a mini-event, but then I'd still disagree. All Star Superman is a good comic but it is not some sacred work that needs its honor and legacy defended.*

*and even if it was, one Batman comic is not going to destroy said legacy

What moment are you guys referencing? I've read both Batman #4 and A-SS, but I must be missing something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Superwoman preview
http://www.comicbookresources.com/comic-previews/superwoman-1-dc-comics-2016

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent

frameset posted:

What moment are you guys referencing? I've read both Batman #4 and A-SS, but I must be missing something.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I still need to read #4 (so far behind!) but unless it really impresses me, I'm dropping it.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I was considering letting Nightwing go, but I'm betting on Monster Men making me pretty happy.

e: I mean, I wouldn't want to just skip the three issues between now and then.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Aug 9, 2016

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

WickedHate posted:

I almost liked it, but then I noticed the BDSM zipper.

I'm remembering hearing actual people into BDSM complaining over public mention of their thing since 50 shades of Grey and I'm starting to agree with them now. loving Zippers? Is he going to come out in a fight suit full of useless straps, zippers and lace?

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Pitchfork was wrong. (f)lowers of Algerbong is crap.
Black Mask is the most boring motherfucker around and giving him a gimp suit is like the only interesting thing they've done with him so far.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Semper Fudge posted:

Black Mask is the most boring motherfucker around and giving him a gimp suit is like the only interesting thing they've done with him so far.

Yeah he's not great. I'm glad at least he's stuck in red hood where I can easily ignore him.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Semper Fudge posted:

He has only been in a handful of good stories but read Brubacker's Catwoman run.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
And two more interviews with Lobdell!

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/former-robin-teams-up-with-bizarro-and-an-amazon/1100-6442470/

http://www.darkknightnews.com/2016/08/exclusive-scott-lobdell-discusses-a-new-era-for-red-hood-and-the-outlaws/

Man, I'm so pumped to see DC actually promoting the book this time :allears:

Anyways, the most relevant things from these:

- Jason's time with Kori and Roy is still being acknowledged by Lobdell. Whether that time is being referenced in the actual book is another question though

- Artemis comes from an Amazon Tribe from Egypt. Is this a new development?

- Batman will have a bigger presence in this series, although he will only appear properly on Flashbacks.

- Over the series Lobdell will fill the gaps on Jason's past.

- Bizarro is a new take on the character and such, is different to previous versions. Lobdell is aiming to write him as someone with a very different perspective of the world but not childlike nor stupid.

- Lobdell would love to keep Ma Gunn around and use her as sort of the team's Alfred.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Nah that's Artemis' usual deal. Iirc the Amazons of Bana Mighdall were separated from the Themyscyran Amazons at some point hundreds of years ago and developed separately in a hidden city in the desert. Since they didn't have the security of an island to keep outsiders away they are much more warlike than the other Amazons and are usually looked at as savages by the Themyscyrans.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I thought we had a thread for this poo poo.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Of the new runs, which are the highlights?

So far I'm reading Batman; it's ok, and I'm willing to keep on it because King. I'm thinking of grabbing Flash because of Williamson.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Travis343 posted:

Nah that's Artemis' usual deal. Iirc the Amazons of Bana Mighdall were separated from the Themyscyran Amazons at some point hundreds of years ago and developed separately in a hidden city in the desert. Since they didn't have the security of an island to keep outsiders away they are much more warlike than the other Amazons and are usually looked at as savages by the Themyscyrans.

Ohhh, I see. I don't really know anything about Artemis beyond the fact she briefly replaced Diana as WW during the 90's. Thanks.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

CharlestheHammer posted:

I thought we had a thread for this poo poo.

The DC Comics thread is for Red Hood and stupid poo poo DC did this week chat.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Jordan7hm posted:

So far I'm reading Batman; it's ok, and I'm willing to keep on it because King. I'm thinking of grabbing Flash because of Williamson.

Superman and Detective Comics are the best two going right now.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Jordan7hm posted:

Superman. Seriously, pick up Superman. I also like Nightwing and I've heard great things about Detective.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Jordan7hm posted:

Superman, Detective Comics and Green Arrow.
Future Quest and Flintstones too, if they count.

e: Here's the top-to-bottom of what I've tried.

Detective Comics
Superman
Green Arrow
Batman
Batgirl
Hellblazer
Wonder Woman
Nightwing
Hal Jordan
Suicide Squad
New Super-man
Birds of Prey
The Flash
Action Comics
Justice League
Green Lanterns

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Aug 9, 2016

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Are the rebirth issues worth grabbing for superman / detective? I started on Batman #1 and only read the rebirth issue this past week.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
Very excited for this if only because Phil Jimenez is attached to it.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Jordan7hm posted:

Are the rebirth issues worth grabbing for superman / detective? I started on Batman #1 and only read the rebirth issue this past week.

Superman, yes. It helps if you haven't been reading about old Superman in Lois and Clark already (though not totally. I'd still recommend Convergence:Superman and L&C as prep.)
e: Keep in mind, the actual series is much more lively than the Rebirth issue. If you aren't feeling it, don't stop there.

Detective didn't get one and Batman: Rebirth doesn't feature any of the cast.
Batwoman: Elegy is worth reading first for an intro to that character's world, but it's not as important.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Aug 9, 2016

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent
Also, warning that the plot threads started in Lois & Clark aren't resolved; it's obvious it was started as a monthly, then was changed to a mini for Rebirth.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

For the bad guys? Henshaw? I thought the family story ended in the right place.
The rest, I don't mind just coming back in Action Comics, and even missing those if I drop the comic, which might be likely.

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent
Yeah, Blanque, Henshaw, Blackrock, those new villains, and those two aliens that were trapped in the Phantom Zone that Clark said he wanted to cure of something. The family plotline was just fine.

Agreed on following up in Action, because the current plotline is poo poo. Clark's characterization in particular was bad.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Here's something weird and neat. Next Earth 2 Society has it's first eight pages drawn by Tony Harris (Starman, Ex Machina.)
http://www.freaksugar.com/exclusive-preview-earth-2-society-15/

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Who drew that really cool suicide squad thing? With the tank? I want to use it to explain the concept's appeal.

Teenage Fansub posted:

Here's something weird and neat. Next Earth 2 Society has it's first eight pages drawn by Tony Harris (Starman, Ex Machina.)

Man that is uh, really terrible art.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

WickedHate posted:

Who drew that really cool suicide squad thing? With the tank? I want to use it to explain the concept's appeal.

Greg Tocchini. He's the artist on Low, which is great. Check that out.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Teenage Fansub posted:

Greg Tocchini. He's the artist on Low, which is great. Check that out.

So I shall! And thanks!

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I looked at the actual art in Suicide Squad and it's about as abysmal as comics from a major publisher can get these day I suppose. How DC can employ that person and Marvel can employ the guy drawing Thunderbolts in 2016 is a mystery to me. I thought we'd moved to the point where fans expect more out of the art than some poo poo that would have been subpar even in the '90s.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Teenage Fansub posted:

:wtc: Holy Christ on a Cross is that awful.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Teenage Fansub posted:

Must have been drawn by Earth 2 Tony Harris.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Jiro posted:

:wtc: Holy Christ on a Cross is that awful.

Oh, good, for a second I thought everyone was going to pile on me for hating it.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Jesus Christ. Did nobody tell this guy Earth-2 Batman is Dick Grayson?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

X-O posted:

I looked at the actual art in Suicide Squad and it's about as abysmal as comics from a major publisher can get these day I suppose. How DC can employ that person and Marvel can employ the guy drawing Thunderbolts in 2016 is a mystery to me. I thought we'd moved to the point where fans expect more out of the art than some poo poo that would have been subpar even in the '90s.

Haven't read Thunderbolts but the Suicide Squad stuff was the definition of "house style".

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Teenage Fansub posted:

This guy can draw Ultrahumanite, and that's about it. Last panel of the first page is channeling some serious Dillon-face.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I'm just a fan of them giving the old guys some work/props.
Colleen Doran on JL3001 backups wasn't exceptional (except for having a future male stripper Sinestro) but that was a neat thing to do.
It's Earth 2 Society. Who's it bothering? :)

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Is anyone still reading Green Lanterns, or did everyone in the DC thread who was reading it drop it on 3 simultaneously? I remember a lot of people (myself included) saying that they were dropping it after it became clear it wasn't going anywhere nor improving.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
i think a couple of peeps are still pulling it. Check the weekly pull list thread.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Toxxupation posted:

Is anyone still reading Green Lanterns, or did everyone in the DC thread who was reading it drop it on 3 simultaneously? I remember a lot of people (myself included) saying that they were dropping it after it became clear it wasn't going anywhere nor improving.

Read the last one out of pure inertia/forgot to take it off the list. I've fixed that problem for issue #5, although #6 sounds like it's finally the start of a new arc that should have been what the book started with; Jessica and Simon hanging out trying to get used to the idea of working together. Also, a new artist that would have to struggle to be worse than the current one. I might pick that one up if I hear good things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Mr Hootington posted:

i think a couple of peeps are still pulling it. Check the weekly pull list thread.

I think it's just me. I mean, at least until the other GL book adds some more lanterns, Baz is the only remotely creative GL in town so I'll read his mediocre book. Better than Milquetoast Jordan and the GL Corps.