Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
what's even the point of watching sports if you can't have cool loving stories like leicester in the premier league

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Lovechop posted:

what's even the point of watching sports if you can't have cool loving stories like leicester in the premier league
If there were any justice in the world, Inori would be a forced substitution on a random team at Worlds.

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

it feels like the same argument as shrinking LCS back down to 8 teams, "i dont wanna watch these bottom tier rear end teams play get rid of em" like there wasn't lovely teams before they expanded it.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Radical posted:

theres been a lot of discussion on reddit about franchising LCS and despite literally thousands of posts on the topic i havent seen a single good one yet which i think is pretty impressive personally

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVXnZcr7-ws I mean I'm just listening to this now but good timing

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Radical posted:

it feels like the same argument as shrinking LCS back down to 8 teams, "i dont wanna watch these bottom tier rear end teams play get rid of em" like there wasn't lovely teams before they expanded it.
Here's the thing: I felt the same way, like a moron, until scarra and imaqtpie's show started.

Now I want a 36-team roster with 32 shitters and I want those streaming geniuses doing 3 hours of coverage a week.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.

Radical posted:

theres been a lot of discussion on reddit about franchising LCS and despite literally thousands of posts on the topic i havent seen a single good one yet which i think is pretty impressive personally

Monte did a pretty good video about it earlier today. The TL;DR is that what the LCS owners mean by "franchising" is removing relegations, not receiving equity or some other kind of revenue sharing by Riot. Due to the relegation system, potential investors are really cautious about investing into league, since if your team ever gets relegated, you're donezo.

Smol fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Aug 9, 2016

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

Smol posted:

Due to the relegation system, potential investors are really cautious about investing into league

Reality doesn't really back this idea up unless the reports of LCS spots in previous splits selling for $1 million are way off or investors have wisened up to the idea that maybe they shouldn't pay tons of money for the Cloud 9 retirement home team.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Crazy Larry posted:

Reality doesn't really back this idea up unless the reports of LCS spots in previous splits selling for $1 million are way off or investors have wisened up to the idea that maybe they shouldn't pay tons of money for the Cloud 9 retirement home team.

The expenses of running an LCS-caliber team are in the $1M yearly range. If you happen to drop to challenger, you lose your sponsors (i.e. all your income) and have to operate a machine that loses you about $100k per month. Not a lot of organizations have these kinds of rainy day funds, even if they have a decent shot of requalifying in 3-6 months.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
ahhh i invested into a team with kiwikid, quas and santorin and all my money is going down the drain! nooooo...

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
well maybe their overwatch team will do well

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

Smol posted:

The expenses of running an LCS-caliber team are in the $1M yearly range. If you happen to drop to challenger, you lose your sponsors (i.e. all your income) and have to operate a machine that loses you about $100k per month. Not a lot of organizations have these kinds of rainy day funds, even if they have a decent shot of requalifying in 3-6 months.

Reports seem to indicate that EnVyUs paid $850k+ to take over Renegade's LCS spot, which is a lot of money given the circumstances. I'm not sure I buy that there is a dearth of investors for LCS teams when a bottom tier LCS squad that's being forced to sell their spot on two weeks notice can fetch that kind of price.

Action George fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Aug 9, 2016

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
I'm watching DOTA 2 TI casually over the last week. Every year I watch a bit of it and the format of that tournament is a better format than anything Riot has put together. Two groups of 8 is much better than Four groups of 4 because it prevents an unbalanced group stage with stacking in either category. Then the double elimination tournament is really exciting because it compensates for anyone getting a bad first round draw with a chance to rally in the second phase. I wish Riot just took the entire TI format and copy pasted it over the existing Worlds format.

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

Libertine posted:

I'm watching DOTA 2 TI casually over the last week. Every year I watch a bit of it and the format of that tournament is a better format than anything Riot has put together. Two groups of 8 is much better than Four groups of 4 because it prevents an unbalanced group stage with stacking in either category. Then the double elimination tournament is really exciting because it compensates for anyone getting a bad first round draw with a chance to rally in the second phase. I wish Riot just took the entire TI format and copy pasted it over the existing Worlds format.

Does DOTA2 still have the thing where you can stream the matches directly from the client, along with all of the extra charts of stuff like gold generation/damage/etc.? Cause that's something I really wish LoL would do with the new client.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

Crazy Larry posted:

Does DOTA2 still have the thing where you can stream the matches directly from the client, along with all of the extra charts of stuff like gold generation/damage/etc.? Cause that's something I really wish LoL would do with the new client.

I'm assuming so because people in the other thread discuss it. I don't play DOTA 2 or have it installed so I don't know.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Libertine posted:

I bet their excuse is that double elimination format would be too confusing for the viewers. That's the excuse you always hear.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
on the other hand it would let you spam TSM even after they lost once, win-win imo

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

Smol posted:

I bet their excuse is that double elimination format would be too confusing for the viewers. That's the excuse you always hear.

Now let me explain why the LCS Promotion tournament should be both a single and a double elimination tournament. :riot:

stump collector
May 28, 2007
yeah the cs format is pretty dumb

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

yeah but they want worlds to be viewed by everyone, while the promotion matches are just something that they have to do even if most people don't give a poo poo. worlds is their biggest advertising event of the year and they have to structure it so that it has the maximum amount of eyes on it and offers the best viewer experience (the sound proof booths meme) at the expense of being as competitive as possible.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I just read a nice twitter conversation between regi and phreak where regi calls for booths and phreak unironically asked him how he knows booths will be better if he's never been in booths in front of crowds the size of LCS finals

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Crazy Larry posted:

you betcha. almost anything that you wish league had, dota almost certainly has. replays, sandbox, extensive custom game designing, in game public tournaments

Kashuno posted:

I just read a nice twitter conversation between regi and phreak where regi calls for booths and phreak unironically asked him how he knows booths will be better if he's never been in booths in front of crowds the size of LCS finals

wait is that really what he said? I saw a little of it but holy :riot: if thats what he ends up implying

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Libertine posted:

If anything other pro leagues should get rid of franchising. You shouldn't be able to own the right to suck rear end for a long period of time and not have someone else replace you. I've never seen a team get relegated that didn't deserve it.
Honestly I think Franchising would be fine if they put a lot more money/effort into Challenger series. I hate to say this over and over but IN KOREA back when they had sister teams and all, their challenger league was still pretty competitive and was used as a great feeder to pull players to better teams. Of course, being in Korea, those players were probably barely played, but some of the better players all came from NLB teams.

I'm actually a broken record at this point but Challenger series is a loving joke right now, it's got the same players rotating in and out of the bottom 3 LCS teams with different sponsors who jump ship as soon as they get relegated again and there's no real stability or reason to lose money in Challenger so you get teams like Coast and Cloud9 just winning LCS, selling the team, and the players going back to boost another team for easy money. If there were stability it'd be a lot more feasible for teams like NME or Winterfox to play multiple seasons and try and make it into the LCS, rather than the teams disbanding and Kiwikid getting relegated two splits in a row.

Sister teams in LCS, I believe, honestly would have helped out the challenger series too. Stick 2-3 pros on a challenger team and then train rookies to move up to the main roster like the Baseball minors/majors and make the ladder a lot more competitive so people actually want to do well instead of just dick around on Diamond 1 smurfs because nobody wants to play. It'd probably also help coaching staff too because they could have better training and more diversity

Luna Was Here posted:

wait is that really what he said? I saw a little of it but holy :riot: if thats what he ends up implying
Yeah, someone linked a video of some huge E-sports All-Stars match where they showed off how effective the soundproof booths were. You could barely hear anything, and when the host came out it was pretty loud, but Phreak's response was "That event isn't as big as League's World Championships"

e: I also hope that IEM becomes a tournament for 3rd/4th place teams like Afreeca or Team Liquid who never have a chance at World's but are still fun to watch

RealFoxy fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Aug 9, 2016

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK

RealFoxy posted:

e: I also hope that IEM becomes a tournament for 3rd/4th place teams like Afreeca or Team Liquid who never have a chance at World's but are still fun to watch

I would loving love to see a tournament between Afreeca, Liquid, Giants and Snake or something along those lines.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

RealFoxy posted:

Yeah, someone linked a video of some huge E-sports All-Stars match where they showed off how effective the soundproof booths were. You could barely hear anything, and when the host came out it was pretty loud, but Phreak's response was "That event isn't as big as League's World Championships

Oh yeah, the video they did at last year's TI. And he's wrong, that Dota event is ABSOLUTELY bigger than Worlds

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

key area actually has a slightly larger capacity than mercedes benz arena

good job phreak

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012
It's amazing how often they throw out smokescreens like this rather than just stating their actual intention or priorities. I guess that's just PR though.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Samsung hosed up quite badly today with randomly benching Ruler to play someone who hasnt played all split

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

rabidsquid posted:

Samsung hosed up quite badly today with randomly benching Ruler to play someone who hasnt played all split

I don't think Samsung had any intention of winning today.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

someone involved with the samsung coaching staff is prone to making weird decisions. wraith has been one of if not the best support for the entire season but they kept randomly benching him for corejj, who isn't even a support. then they benched BUNG today in a playoff series for someone who hasnt played in over a year.

i actually do get them trying to play helper, especially since cuvee has one of the worst damage shares in any league. i know he's mostly stuck on tanks but they just really need a new top laner. and to fire whoever is making their weird roster decisions

crown and BUNG are loving dope tho

im old rick bitch
Oct 19, 2004

How does it feel?
ogn hasn't been super exciting but i'm looking forward to blank get exposed again and for it not to matter for some reason. oh wait that's right faker

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
please respect bung, samsung galaxy

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

mirrorquiz posted:

ogn hasn't been super exciting but i'm looking forward to blank get exposed again and for it not to matter for some reason. oh wait that's right faker

it's more like "Everyone that isn't their jungler."

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy
Speaking of weird roster changes, why did easyhoon leave SKT? Seems like that's a team you'd want to stay on, especially given it means you're the only mid who doesn't have to deal with playing against faker.

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

Taciturn Tactician posted:

Speaking of weird roster changes, why did easyhoon leave SKT? Seems like that's a team you'd want to stay on, especially given it means you're the only mid who doesn't have to deal with playing against faker.

Because he wanted to actually play. Also probably got more money from China.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

probably because not getting paid very much to be the backup is not as good as getting paid more to start.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate

everyone told him he was good and he believed them l@l

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Because everyone wanted Faker and he wanted to actually play the game and not constantly get poo poo for it

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy
I was under the impression that he got played pretty often and SKT fans didn’t think of him as "not-faker", but maybe I just got the wrong impression from worlds and the casters there.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

I was under the impression that he got played pretty often and SKT fans didn’t think of him as "not-faker", but maybe I just got the wrong impression from worlds and the casters there.

Basically, he understood why faker was so talked about and started and people loved him, but he felt he didn't fulfill any role on the team and was miserably tense the whole time. It's a pretty sad interview with him on why he left.

quote:

"The reason why I decided to move out of SKT was not because of teammates nor the coaching staff. It was after I played in the semifinals of the World Championship. I had the opportunity to start, and had very satisfactory performance in games 1 and 2. So I thought I would play in game 3 also, but Faker started for that game. When I was leaving the stage and Faker got on, everyone cheered "Faker!"
While I was leaving the stage, I had a lot of thoughts. 'What role and meaning do I exactly take in this team? Don't people ultimately want Faker?'"

"If I think about it, every game was a torture for me this year. Match against CJ, LCK finals, World Championship. Imagine what would've happened if I ever underperformed in those important matches... How would I have been portrayed in comparison to Faker? I would like to lay down that burden now."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

"I think South Korea sent the wrong shooter to the Olympics, it should have been KT Arrow!" - DOA

holy poo poo

• Locked thread