Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Grinning Goblin posted:

Reading the last few pages, a lot about this game makes it seem like the developer(s) were mandated to make a pants on head retarded design decision for every decent idea that they had.

They're really more fedora on head decisions which is probably worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Jackard posted:

Ugly beady little eyes are part of it, but the lack of contrast and definition makes for an overall terrible sprite.

I think it's sort of that, but it's more that when your eyes are 1px small on a face as small as the ones in Symphony of the Night 2, you lose a lot of expression potential. They don't have eyebrows, they can't glance around, and they can't even squint or blink.

Davoren posted:

They're really more fedora on head decisions which is probably worse.

there's a store in akihabara called KNOWLEDGE that only sells fedoras, that really tells you everything you need to know about them

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Aug 8, 2016

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Starhawk64 posted:

- If you care about the story at all (which tbh I don't blame if you don't because it is almost non-existant), avenging Earth as a human makes it more poetic.

The one thing about the story is that it's so thin that it doesn't feel like anything substantial or important despite being touted by all the NPCs involved, so I prefer the Early Access version of lore and the start. They ripped out a ton of lore books if you like game lore and the 1.0 replacements for it feel a bit thin. I mean to say that the game is still playable and is fairly enjoyable in multiplayer, but a lot of things seem to have been changed to punish the player for wanting to have fun for the sake of punishing the player more than anything else.

A lot of fun things were cut out to artificially extend the grind and/or reduce player convenience. Mechs were in the game and so was creating your own momentum for skyrails, there were techs that allowed you to fly so that you didn't have to deal with sheer cliff faces. All of these were removed for some reason. I mean, I guess I found a mod that gives you a flying submersible, so I can't complain about mobility being as much of a pain anymore.

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

I don't understand why the gently caress they would remove features from a finished product that were already in and working?

I should probably just be happy that they are designing games and not car or something.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Grinning Goblin posted:

Reading the last few pages, a lot about this game makes it seem like the developer(s) were mandated to make a pants on head retarded design decision for every decent idea that they had.

A guy who worked for chucklefish posted a bunch in the old thread and it really shed a lot of light on the state of the game and its development. I dont remember his right now though
this guy http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3697749&userid=90423

Kly fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Aug 8, 2016

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

Davoren posted:

So. This game. Better than it was, but not as good as it used to be. I've reached the 'acceptance' stage, so I'm trying to make the best of it and at least run through the new stuff one time. I've been trying to rebuild my ship, but I can't really remember exactly how it was before it was wiped. Liking how it's coming along though, but also I somehow managed to catch my crew doing something other than clustering around the teleporter.

Edit: Oh man, I do have a screenshot of my old layout, kinda. I have no idea what this means or what I was trying to accomplish.

Also here's a colony I'm starting to build, welcome to Rockatansky Station, situated on a scenic post-apocalyptic hellworld. Don't know if I'll finish it, and you better believe I'm using /admin for these blocks.

Time to dig this chestnut out again.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Heartcatch posted:

The one thing about the story is that it's so thin that it doesn't feel like anything substantial or important despite being touted by all the NPCs involved, so I prefer the Early Access version of lore and the start. They ripped out a ton of lore books if you like game lore and the 1.0 replacements for it feel a bit thin. I mean to say that the game is still playable and is fairly enjoyable in multiplayer, but a lot of things seem to have been changed to punish the player for wanting to have fun for the sake of punishing the player more than anything else.

A lot of fun things were cut out to artificially extend the grind and/or reduce player convenience. Mechs were in the game and so was creating your own momentum for skyrails, there were techs that allowed you to fly so that you didn't have to deal with sheer cliff faces. All of these were removed for some reason. I mean, I guess I found a mod that gives you a flying submersible, so I can't complain about mobility being as much of a pain anymore.

Removing mechs from any game ever is a pretty bad idea. :colbert:

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo
Starbound is getting fishing though, that'll save the game

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
If fishing is like terraria and lets you basically do large parts of the progression via it that would be pretty cool. There are alot of things about terraria that make it real annoying to go back to but its general sense of non linear progression (that mostly came about after like 4 years of updates) was great.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Well, if we use their changes over the years to the game as an indicator, fishing will probably require you to craft a fishing station from items found only on 3 specific biomes and then find bait from various monsters with a fish bait catching weapon that you'll need to craft and they won't be worth anything to sell to Terramart.

We'll get some wacky lines for dialogue upon inspection though. Here's to hoping that fishing is actually good somehow.

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

Kly posted:

A guy who worked for chucklefish posted a bunch in the old thread and it really shed a lot of light on the state of the game and its development. I dont remember his right now though
this guy http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3697749&userid=90423

This makes Kiy sound like a Saturday Morning Cartoon Villain, running his vast empire on threats and slave labour.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Weavered posted:

This makes Kiy sound like a Saturday Morning Cartoon Villain, running his vast empire on threats and slave labour.

More like the Donald Trump of game devs

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Motherfucker posted:

"It has not been easy for me. I started off in London. Early Access gave me a small loan of 2 and a half million dollars."

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Motherfucker posted:

Isn't that Notch

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=740491582

Decided to actually make that mod I was talking about a couple of days ago, added a wire input to the colony deed so you can just wire all of them up to a button and then run around collecting rent.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

Kassad posted:

Isn't that Notch

donald trump wants to be respected and worshipped,n otch wants people to feel bad for his sadbrains afaik

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Grinning Goblin posted:

I should probably just be happy that they are designing games and not car or something.

Driving a car is too easy. The steering wheel is for loser casuals. What you need to do is use gesture-based touch controls for steering and put them on the outside of the roof. That'll pull in your dedicated hardcore driver base.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Weavered posted:

I know that most game company bosses are probably abusive jerks to their employees but this stuff will probably help me pull the trigger on my refund. Well this, and the fact that I've had Terraria forever and have barely played it. So far I'm liking it, but I'm not sure what else to do besides keep digging down.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The Wonder Weapon posted:

Are the only two reasons that people prefer casual over survival that you drop items on death and not being able to beam from underground? Neither of those seem particularly troublesome to me.

Imagine playing late game terraria without the magic mirror/recall potions, also the enemies don't drop anything useful.

It'd be mind numbing.

SovietPotatoe
May 14, 2011

Master of the Duncspawn Taint
So out of curiosity, has anyone ever tried messing around with the food system beyond the hunger mechanic? There's like a billion different food items with like 6 really weak effects they can provide and the duration is always half the time it adds to your hunger bar (except if it has multiple effects, in that case its less). Then you have items that are literally identical (e.g. candied corn and sweet popcorn take the same ingredients and provide the same effect), adding further to the bloat. The whole thing feels like the sheer quantity of items deters players from diving into it and if you do the rewards are so meager its barely worth it.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Nalesh posted:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=740491582

Decided to actually make that mod I was talking about a couple of days ago, added a wire input to the colony deed so you can just wire all of them up to a button and then run around collecting rent.

Could you upload this to Mediafire or something? I've only got the GoG version of Starbound.

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers
So is the game good now? I backed during the crowdfunding stage, then played a little of the first build, then forgot about it. I had read there was a lot of struggles during development, has that passed and is it worth giving it a go now?

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

1500 posted:

So is the game good now? I backed during the crowdfunding stage, then played a little of the first build, then forgot about it. I had read there was a lot of struggles during development, has that passed and is it worth giving it a go now?

Game... okay

Development struggles ongoing in that devteam are bad and dumb

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Grinning Goblin posted:

Some of these newer Fords are really uncomfortable.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
i used to work for ford but the ceo watched way too much doctor who and one day he suddenly said we were moving our production facilities to cardiff so i quit

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
look at this piece of poo poo http://www.ford-trucks.com/articles/the-big-fat-2015-ford-transit-wagon-xlt-gallery-review/

doors swing open into each other
seats are 3/4 the width of previous vans
feel seat buckles poke you in the rear end and metal frames through the seats
lots of cheap weak plastic, thick plastic sides and windows cannot be opened

Grinning Goblin posted:

I don't understand why the gently caress they would remove features from a finished product that were already in and working?
Why remove working windows? Now you know - cars are Starbound.

Jackard fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Aug 9, 2016

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together

Jackard posted:

look at this piece of poo poo http://www.ford-trucks.com/articles/the-big-fat-2015-ford-transit-wagon-xlt-gallery-review/

Why remove working windows?

I have an F-150 and I like it :(

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

Rhopunzel posted:

I have an F-150 and I like it :(

IT ALL MAKES SENSE

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together

Grinning Goblin posted:

IT ALL MAKES SENSE

oh god :gonk:

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

f150s from the 90s are good, I have an old f10 I'm restoring

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Babe Magnet posted:

f150s from the 90s are good, I have an old f10 I'm restoring

My mom has a 97 or 98 one that still gets upwards of 30k miles a year on lovely Missouri back roads.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Is there a general guide on how to progress in the very beginning of the game? Any specific planets worth hitting to get quick easy augmentations?

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
do the story quests and remember that travel within the local system doesnt need fuel

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

SovietPotatoe posted:

So out of curiosity, has anyone ever tried messing around with the food system beyond the hunger mechanic? There's like a billion different food items with like 6 really weak effects they can provide and the duration is always half the time it adds to your hunger bar (except if it has multiple effects, in that case its less). Then you have items that are literally identical (e.g. candied corn and sweet popcorn take the same ingredients and provide the same effect), adding further to the bloat. The whole thing feels like the sheer quantity of items deters players from diving into it and if you do the rewards are so meager its barely worth it.

That's how I felt about it BEFORE they made cooked dishes and most ingredients not stack. Now gently caress food entirely. Complete garbage system.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

CommissarMega posted:

Could you upload this to Mediafire or something? I've only got the GoG version of Starbound.

Took it down since someone else made a version literally two hours before uploading that one, you'd have to ask him http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=740385324

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Jackard posted:

Why remove working windows? Now you know - cars are Starbound.

Huh. I guess you guys just don't like Alfa Romeos :confused:

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

So is most of the annoying poo poo that people hate in this game stuff that can be modded out?

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

drat Dirty Ape posted:

So is most of the annoying poo poo that people hate in this game stuff that can be modded out?

You should go to the nexus and check out the top mods for this game.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Grinning Goblin posted:

You should go to the nexus and check out the top mods for this game.

I checked out the steam workshop and downloaded a bunch that looked good (mechs, better crew, better inventory, casual with hunger, and some other ones I'm forgetting), but if I play it more than 2 hours I lose my easy steam refund. :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

drat Dirty Ape posted:

I checked out the steam workshop and downloaded a bunch that looked good (mechs, better crew, better inventory, casual with hunger, and some other ones I'm forgetting), but if I play it more than 2 hours I lose my easy steam refund. :ohdear:

I like to build pointless things and spend most of my time playing music or checking out the ships of other players, so I can't really help you.. but things like the explorer pod, better crew, guns use less energy, and anything that can ease your quality of life really help the game to be better. There's the goon server here with a list of mods that it uses if you're interested in taking a look.