Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque puņ essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Halloween Jack posted:

I haven't kept up with MMA in a looong time, so hypothetical question: Let's say Dana White and Joe Silva stopped caring about competition and respectability, and had the opportunity to book freakshow matches that would draw money--like if retired pro wrestlers and actors wanted to fight each other. How far could they go before they faced repercussions from the athletic commissions? I'm thinking they just wouldn't medically clear a match like Giant Silva vs. Akebono.

In all fairness, even for a good commission, they're likely going to be more concerned for boxing and MMA in terms of the matches being "safe" and "fair" than they are in them being technically good or justifying charging paying customers to watch. White-collar boxing is a thing.

So if Daniel Craig and Steve Blackman want to throw fists with each other, as long as they pass a medical, that's probably fine, even on PPV. If you want to do Daniel Craig vs Randy Couture, you probably have to go to Russia (I may be wrong, but I believe the Russian commissioner is actually the JUST BLEED guy).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

FullLeatherJacket posted:

So if Daniel Craig and Steve Blackman want to throw fists with each other, as long as they pass a medical, that's probably fine, even on PPV. If you want to do Daniel Craig vs Randy Couture, you probably have to go to Russia (I may be wrong, but I believe the Russian commissioner is actually the JUST BLEED guy).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyfGGxFXRCk&hd=1

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Actually, everything I've ever heard about Steve Blackman paints him as legit. What if Daniel Craig wants to fight the Great Khali? Come to think of it, Khali would make a great Blofeld henchman.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Halloween Jack posted:

Actually, everything I've ever heard about Steve Blackman paints him as legit. What if Daniel Craig wants to fight the Great Khali? Come to think of it, Khali would make a great Blofeld henchman.

Khali was in the Get Smart movie, so yeah, I guess

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque puņ essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GixDXD44_yA

do martial arts, learn discipline, make many friend

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Just play rugby.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Here's a question about Punks pipebomb promo. Did it come out of nowhere or did the raws and PPVs have hints of his character change?

cams
Mar 28, 2003

ICHIBAHN posted:

Here's a question about Punks pipebomb promo. Did it come out of nowhere or did the raws and PPVs have hints of his character change?
it wasn't really a "turn" for his character at all, he'd been a huge heel up until that point. right before the pipe bomb he'd been the leader of the new nexus (snooze), then won a #1 contender fight. the title shot at mitb was likely given to punk in an effort to get him to stay with the company without making it more worth his while. in the lead-up to the fight, he had started talking about how his contract was up after the ppv, which was a thing dumb internet wrestling nerds were already aware of. then he got promo time and was told to do whatever so he did whatever and it became the most interesting thing in wwe in about a decade.

Happy Happyist
Jul 23, 2007

I need your assistance to make the world blue and change it into a happy and peaceful society.

Halloween Jack posted:

Would the NSAC let a guy fight in a Jushin Liger mask? I'm guessing no, since they don't even allow shoes.

Alberto Del Rio fought in a modified lucha mask, so maybe!

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Happy Happyist posted:

Apples to oranges

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Happy Happyist posted:

That was Japan

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

As they say, if you want lucha libres go to Japan.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

What if I want a good lucha thing?

TwoDogs1Cup
May 28, 2008

DOUGIE DOUGIE DOUGIE! MY LOVE, HE MAKES MY EMPTY HEART FULL! DOUGIE! THE BEST FOREVER THE BEST DOUGIEEE! <3 <3 - TwoDougies1Cup
How do you train getting hit in the face for real? Like are the people he's sparring really digging him or holding back?

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
He's at duke roufus and they are famous for hard sparring

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

TwoDogs1Cup posted:

How do you train getting hit in the face for real? Like are the people he's sparring really digging him or holding back?

You train getting hit in the face by getting hit in the face. What people are talking about at Roufusport is similar to old school MMA camps like Chute Boxe. Basically a lot of sparring sessions are full contact hard fights with the exact same rules as a sanctioned bout. They will go beyond that and have say one guy spar hard for 5 minutes with one guy, then another comes in and beats the poo poo out of him, and so on and so forth. This type of training can help weed people out and only real killers really survive, but the downside is it completely destroys the fighter and shortens their career significantly.

Or they do stupid poo poo like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JLW3rdon4s

Fe Vinum
Dec 17, 2013

Inoki MMA Gym looking good.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?

"WHAT DO MY KNUCKLES SAY?!" *TAP*

"I DON'T KNOW YOU HAVE GLOVES ON FAM"

*TAP TAP*

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
I like the belly wiggle.

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?
Is HHH going to do one of his selfies except with a broken Punk in the background?

You know like this

LIKEINEEDTHIS
Oct 3, 2012

by Smythe

What's this from?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Punk he's not gonna sell those weak rear end punches.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

LIKEINEEDTHIS posted:

What's this from?

Idk for sure because I just came across this posted with snide comments on a blog, but they've at least released the trailer for the CM Punk UFC documentary Fox Sports is putting together so I'd guess it's from that.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaa7rP8pUlc

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
It's going to be really dope when CM Punk steps in on Gall with his chin up like that and throws that underhand right and KO's the kid immediately.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

this might be the most counter-able punch ever thrown

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
It reminds me of the punch Liddell threw at Evans that got him KTFO; does that make me a bad person?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

All the footage they had and they decided to use that punch.

And that trailer shows him getting punched a lot.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Yikes

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Codependent Poster posted:

Heart of a champion. He can take punches better than Brock. Predicting unanimous decision

Nah but seriously this looks even worse than I thought it'd be

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
Well at least his punches are better than his worked punches

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Maybe his arm's tired?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

lmao

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Codependent Poster posted:

Who ever edited it must hate the guy. This person may have been on the camera crew

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Oh Punk.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Herr Tog posted:

Who ever edited it must hate the guy. This person may have been on the camera crew

Turns out it was that imaginary cop's brother.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

lol

Fushin
Dec 16, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I get having lovely form after probably a long day of drilling and sparring, but why the gently caress would they keep that in this cut? I'm SURE they had to have a better shot than that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

This used to be my favourite uppercut gif

but the sheer torque and power Punk throws with has dethroned the king.

Actually, I just wanted to post that Tyson gif as a palate cleanser.

• Locked thread