Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Hope you enjoy never being able to get through a chokepoint

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
My counter to chokepoints is this thing called a "push", done through this arcane concept called "teamwork"

Tweet Me Balls
Apr 14, 2009

CJacobs posted:

My counter to chokepoints is this thing called a "push", done through this arcane concept called "teamwork"

My counter is to fire a dart full of steroids into a Roadhog's big fat rear end, but to each his own.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
If you remove ults from the game you literally have a less fun Team Fortress 2.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It'd be nice if ults had less of a "the enemy hit a button they get to press every few minutes and you're just dead now respawn in 10" feel to them, and by less I mean none

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Yeah, the Ultimate concept is cool and I think it should stay in OW, but a lot of them are just "press button get kill". They ain't even the best ones, it's just kinda lame.

Grammaton
Feb 3, 2004
Cleric
They should add a dark black male hero called Spearchucker. He is from the deep jungles of the Congo. He throws spears which arc like Hanzo's arrows. He can blend into his surroundings like a chameleon for 5 seconds. His ult is to roar like a lion and daze everyone within earshot, blurring their vision and causing their attacks to be less effective for 5 seconds.

(not racist)

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I think they're already adding a black male hero from Numbani called Doomfist who punches people, but thanks for the suggestion!

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
You say this to make whatever point you're making but that would be a fun hero, give him a longer melee attack and a climb when camouflaged.

Grammaton
Feb 3, 2004
Cleric
I was partly joking, but there is a lack of dark skinned heroes. Also, a spear thrower would be pretty cool. Just maybe not in the same hero to avoid negative stereotypes.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Half the human cast is dark skinned people

edit: I counted in my head and it's actually slightly less than half but whatever

Tweet Me Balls
Apr 14, 2009

CJacobs posted:

Literally half the human cast is dark skinned people

Mercy is just so overwhelmingly white though, she's like a human lens flare.

Grammaton
Feb 3, 2004
Cleric
Symmetra, Ana and Lucio have the darkest skins, and they are more what I'd call medium. A jet black hero would be cool.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Tweet Me Balls posted:

Mercy is just so overwhelmingly white though, she's like a human lens flare.

So?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Grammaton posted:

Symmetra, Ana and Lucio have the darkest skins, and they are more what I'd call medium. A jet black hero would be cool.

A hero called Jet Black would be even cooler.

Tweet Me Balls
Apr 14, 2009

The implication I was making was that she somehow negates the ethnicity of other cast members by being of very pale skin when, in fact, this is a ridiculous notion because race, culture, and nationality are far more complex matters.

I told a lie to entertain myself.

Please forgive me.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Grammaton posted:

A black Jet Li if you will.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Even if there isn't a black hero on the darker side of pigmentation, there's quite a bit of PoCs overall, considering usual videogame representation and all. Seems like the next hero is gonna be another Latino too.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
No Inuit? Bullshit imo.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
Am I crazy for thinking that borderline every map in this game is bad, with almost all attack/defend maps having an issue of often there being only a singular entrance which turns half the game into trying to break through a single chockpoint, and the other half trying to cap a point right in front of the enemy's spawn? And also that KoTH maps are also bad but less so if only because they're symmetrical and thus impossible to be imbalanced?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the only truly, indefensibly bad map is hanamura. 2cp maps in overwatch have some pretty big issues on the whole but payload and koth maps are uniformly good

CJacobs posted:

It'd be nice if ults had less of a "the enemy hit a button they get to press every few minutes and you're just dead now respawn in 10" feel to them, and by less I mean none

you can kill people while they're using an ult and they won't get any kills

hosed up but true

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Manatee Cannon posted:

you can kill people while they're using an ult and they won't get any kills

hosed up but true

Yeah and as someone posted about either in this thread or the complaint thread, they get most of that ult back because ???? and then they can just do it again by the time they've walked back to where you are.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

sometimes when i first spawn in a match, everything looks like this. i can't see anyone besides like 1 random player sometimes, i dont see my weapons and so on until i die. what gives

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

when you use an ult like death blossom, the charge counts down as you use it, so dying early means you keep some of it. dead eye is unique in that it keeps 50% so long as you don't use it and you can pocket it if it doesn't look like you'll get anything from it. a lot of ults are just gone tho, such as graviton surge, and many of them can be deflected or eaten by defense matrix

this is not hard to understand my friends, nor is it badly designed

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
it is badly designed though

it means that, in many cases, reacting quickly to an ult (which is usually more difficult than setting up an ult in the first place) is punished compared to getting to it a little bit slower

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

why

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

ultimates are good and fun

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

see my edit

e: good aim, reaction time, and the ability to immediately find and identify the threat should be rewarded by completely nullifying poorly-advised ultimate use, not just setting them back 10-20%

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Aug 9, 2016

Grammaton
Feb 3, 2004
Cleric

Davincie posted:

sometimes when i first spawn in a match, everything looks like this. i can't see anyone besides like 1 random player sometimes, i dont see my weapons and so on until i die. what gives

Maybe you need to update your drivers.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
the non-instant ult % drain is the only bad part IMO. if you gently caress up your ult or launch it into a dva matrix then gently caress you, you wasted your ult idiot!

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Davincie posted:

This happens to me too, the game just lazily loads graphical assets. Usually it's only for the first few seconds of setup though. That long into the round makes me think you need to make sure something isn't up with your PC in general.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Davincie posted:

this happens to me on occasion (usually if i backfill) because my computer is slow and i don't have an SSD. it's fun when i can't see the enemy team at all and i run onto the point and then wonder why i died all of a sudden

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Why is it if you kill McCree when he tries to attempt his ult, he'll get to keep a certain percentage of his ult charge back if you do the same to a Junkrat tire the second he pulls it out you have to start all over. hosed up

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Grammaton posted:

They should add a dark black male hero called Spearchucker. He is from the deep jungles of the Congo. He throws spears which arc like Hanzo's arrows. He can blend into his surroundings like a chameleon for 5 seconds. His ult is to roar like a lion and daze everyone within earshot, blurring their vision and causing their attacks to be less effective for 5 seconds.

(not racist)

Is the joke that this is basically Nidalee from league?

gently caress that game.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

There shouldnt be any more melee characters in this first person shooter

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

see my edit

e: good aim, reaction time, and the ability to immediately find and identify the threat should be rewarded by completely nullifying poorly-advised ultimate use, not just setting them back 10-20%

I mean, it does tho? stopping the ult as it starts is the same as seeing a reaper try to drop in the middle of your team and killing him before he presses q at all. you stop them before they can actually do anything. it takes a bit to actually get anything out of any of the ults that can keep charge if the hero dies early, it's not like any of them are instant rewards like graviton. like how genji needs to take the sword out before he can actually attack you, so killing him during that animation isn't any different than killing him when he's holding onto the ult but not using it

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

Macaluso posted:

Why is it if you kill McCree when he tries to attempt his ult, he'll get to keep a certain percentage of his ult charge back if you do the same to a Junkrat tire the second he pulls it out you have to start all over. hosed up

I would prefer if it used 100% on use and then refunded 50% if you manually cancel it, if they want that only partially wasted functionality.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Manatee Cannon posted:

I mean, it does tho? stopping the ult as it starts is the same as seeing a reaper try to drop in the middle of your team and killing him before he presses q at all. you stop them before they can actually do anything. it takes a bit to actually get anything out of any of the ults that can keep charge if the hero dies early, it's not like any of them are instant rewards like graviton. like how genji needs to take the sword out before he can actually attack you, so killing him during that animation isn't any different than killing him when he's holding onto the ult but not using it

that's not the same at all

i'm saying that many ultimates have an insufficient or undertuned risk/reward element and you're talking about killing people who haven't used ultimates

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

Macaluso posted:

Pharah will keep a good chunk too if she gets blown away relatively immediately

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

that's not the same at all

i'm saying that many ultimates have an insufficient or undertuned risk/reward element and you're talking about killing people who haven't used ultimates

and I'm saying that ults that don't have an immediate reward aren't punished as harshly for pressing the button as ults that do and that's fine

I wouldn't cry over it if they changed it but it's not bad the way it is

e: like if you press q and die before the blizzard hits the ground as mei, it doesn't disappear but if you do the same thing with genji and die before the sword is out, you lose the entire ult. there's a massive difference in what you gain from just hitting the button between characters that can keep charge on death and those that can't

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Aug 9, 2016