Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

gannyGrabber posted:

It's a "you can't do jack poo poo for a turn". Fuuuuck thaaaat. The one ranged jack i had he spun around with TK.

And your opponent used to get to play with your man dollies activation order as well before they Errata'd her feat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

waah posted:

And your opponent used to get to play with your man dollies activation order as well before they Errata'd her feat

This. You could gently caress over armies so hard, especially ones that are heavily dependent on order of activation (Ret, Cyriss, Khador, Menoth come to mind)

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp
So I got a big team tournament coming up this weekend and I would love a once over on my lists to see if I can get any more opinions and criticisms. Team Tourneys are a bit odd, as they encourage more skews than anything else. In a streamroller, I would pick a pair that compliment each other whereas here, I'm looking to help my team by making some hard matchups, especially as I don't have any good counters to stuff like Wurmwood. I'm playing my Mercs.

http://conflictchamber.com/#b61b825Y9r9r5Z5Zca7g7zdF4k

Mercenary Army - 74 / 75 points

(Montador 1) Captain Bartolo Montador [+26]
- Mule [15]
- Rover [15]
- Rover [15]
- Nomad [11]
- Nomad [11]
The Commodore Cannon & Crew [7]
Greygore Boomhowler & Co. (max) [17]
Rhupert Carvolo, Piper of Ord [4]
Gobber Tinker [2]
Lanyssa Ryssyl, Nyss Sorceress [3]

This is a pretty standard Batten Down Armor Skew. The Nomads are ARM22, the Rovers ARM23, so that should be a ton of boxes to chew through. The Mule is there for Hotshot, and the Cannon assists as it feels like an auto include at 7 points. Boomhowler & Co basically head towards an objective or zone for points who thankfully don't really need much to be effective, though Rhupert's Pathfinder and, to a lesser extent, Concealment should help them get where they are going. Lanyssa helps with charges and the Tinker tinkers. Its pretty basic as Bart and Jacks march up the board, feats early, and tries to win on attrition or overwhelms armies who did not bring enough armor cracking to fight.

http://conflictchamber.com/#b61b90dM9292927i739f8M9j7z9h

Mercenary Army - 74 / 75 points

(Durgen 1) Durgen Madhammer [+29]
- Ghordson Earthbreaker [38]
- Grundback Blaster [6]
- Grundback Blaster [6]
- Grundback Blaster [6]
- Reinholdt, Gobber Speculator [4]
Croe's Cutthroats (max) [16]
Horgenhold Artillery Corps [6]
Lady Aiyana & Master Holt [8]
Thor Steinhammer [4]
Rhupert Carvolo, Piper of Ord [4]
Herne & Jonne [5]

This is my other list which is basically Blow Up The Outside World for Mercs. I got to play this into a Helynna double Sentinels list and still blew the hell up/set fire to everything so I fell pretty good about it. The three Blasters can easily take a unit of infantry on by themselves, especially since the feat gives them Gunfighter so jamming is less of a problem. The Earthbreaker is just a great center anchor who prefers to shoot, and is not bad in a fight thanks to Redline. Thor is a bit ehh compared to MK2 but I like having a dedicated repair guy because of Redline, and the boost is always handy, especially with the Torpedo's crit effects. Croe and Primed go together marvelously, doubly so thanks to the generous reposition ability, and Rhupert is there to keep them alive (though Primed tends to make this unit suicidal). Herne & Jonne and Artillery Corps allow for more explosions and Aiyanna and Holt are great for making the blast damage sting, and making sure I don't get screwed by having non-magic weapons. Add in Durgen's own silly gun, and getting an extra shot thanks to Reinholdt, this should easily murder any infantry spam list and do well enough into any generalist. I want to avoid lots of armor I think though, despite Durgen's two Armor Piercing Shots.

Anyways, any criticisms or thoughts are welcome. I feel pretty good about my pairings and hope to do well. My team is a bit more on the casual side, and some real hardcore folk are going to show up so I'm keeping expectations in check, but oh well. I'm just going to blow up everything and be happy for it.

Pics and Reports to come!

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
So I'm putting together a Troll double-gargantuan list for a game Thursday and I'm trying to figure out what warlock would make it work, so I figured I'd ask goons.

There's a part of me leaning towards Gunnbjorn because boosting the Mountain King sprays makes him pretty drat terrifying to get into assault range, and Gunny already synergizes well with the glacier king. Being whittled down by shooting has also historically been a problem for my gargantuans, especially since my primary opponents lately have been Lylyth3 and Cygnar.

I hesitate with this because while Gunnbjorn solves for those problems, he lacks a MAT fixer, meaning I probably should put Rok in the list for primal, then adding an Axer for 2" of movement is the entire budget. Dropping Rok gives me a bunch of points for like a stone, whelps, and a Dhunia knot or something, but then I'm relying on MAT 6 to solve problems and I'm just leery of trying to squash warcasters needing probably nines or better to hit. I could drop the axer, but that is a moderate dent to threat ranges overall, and means Rok doesn't have pathfinder when I need him to.

My other thought was one of the Doomshapers. Doomie1 has fortune, which should help with the low MAT/RAT. Rok could take advantage of guardian beast, even if the gargantuans can't, and his feat isn't bad since heavies would be the most threatening thing to the kings. The downsides is that Doomshaper1 has zero survivability, and babysitting him with so few models would be challenging. Fortune is also probably not as good as some of the other MAT/RAT boosters out there.

Doomshaper 2 has Wild Aggression for MAT, and his feat means that the glacier king could shoot at a warcaster 22 inches away and the Mountain King could spray somebody 23 inches away, or I could just use it to charge stuff. The downside is that there's nothing to actually get those shots to hit besides boosting, so honestly I'm not sure people would really be terribly threatened by the MK's spray if it had any defense at all, and he's just as squishy as D1, and overtake is meaningless to gargantuans.

Doomie3 I just don't like, personally. He's a fine caster but I'm ignoring him, whether or not he's a good choice. Madrak1 was also on my mind, the extra attack could be pretty strong, and he has an almost MAT-fixer.

I know double gargantuans is probably never going to be much more than jank that wins a few when people aren't familiar with it then drops off, but I'd like to try to optimize it as much as possible. Goon thoughts?

TheInvisiblePooka
Dec 18, 2012

gannyGrabber posted:

Fuuuuuck haley2's horseshit feat.

But I guess it's OK since I was smart enough to hols on to malakovs for after she used her, so we both basically had a turn of doing very little to eachother.

Also poison pill really shits on collossals.

Her old feat resulted in playing three turns in a row. The feat turn, the opponent's turn, and then haley2 player's turn again.

The old haley2 feat was very unfun and one of the reasons why I only played her in tourneys, people who specifically requested haley2, or people I didn't like.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

dexefiend posted:

What? Are you serious?

Maybe this is a reference i just don't know?

Yeah it happened to someone. Although to be fair it's probably also because he's spent the last few months talking poo poo about Mk3/PP and talking about Guild Ball and not actually running anything :v:

e: Re: Haley 2's feat, it also got changed from model/unit to just model in the MK3 changeover.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I kind of wish they added something spicy to her Feat in MK3 like a speed or hit bonus to her army or something. Right now it's just a lovely version of pKreoss and pSorscha's feats most of the time.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

S.J. posted:

Yeah it happened to someone. Although to be fair it's probably also because he's spent the last few months talking poo poo about Mk3/PP and talking about Guild Ball and not actually running anything :v:

e: Re: Haley 2's feat, it also got changed from model/unit to just model in the MK3 changeover.

His original comments on the Jason Soles AMA were also incredibly disrespectful. Get dumped as a semi-employee because you mouth off to the public face of your company is a normal and expected result.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

fadam posted:

I kind of wish they added something spicy to her Feat in MK3 like a speed or hit bonus to her army or something. Right now it's just a lovely version of pKreoss and pSorscha's feats most of the time.

Except you can shake knockdown/stationary, whereas you can't shake giving up movement/attack. So Haley fucks warjacks whereas the other 2 don't.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

gannyGrabber posted:

Except you can shake knockdown/stationary, whereas you can't shake giving up movement/attack. So Haley fucks warjacks whereas the other 2 don't.

I would give that up for guaranteed hits and LoS clearing 99% of the time tbh.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

fadam posted:

I would give that up for guaranteed hits and LoS clearing 99% of the time tbh.

It also covers way more territory. Between an 18" control range and affecting an entire unit if you clip a single guy she can get entire armies easily.

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.

rydiafan posted:

It also covers way more territory. Between an 18" control range and affecting an entire unit if you clip a single guy she can get entire armies easily.

It's not model/unit anymore, just model

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Judge status revoked :slick:

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
It's still an 18" range where you have very little if any fear of reprisal, so she can still claim the center of the board and chuck it out there. I had pretty much all my dudes alive and she caught everyone except Kovnik Joe.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Joe then sniped a storm pod because apparently those loving things can stop you from claiming objectives.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

I have this theory that Elara might really like hanging out with Mage Hunter Assassins. Also Narn.

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

gannyGrabber posted:

Joe then sniped a storm pod because apparently those loving things can stop you from claiming objectives.

Same with loving shifting stones the bastards. Its a loving rock!! Who gives a poo poo if it's their rock? Theres a bunch of rocks all over the goddamn place

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006

albany academy posted:

Same with loving shifting stones the bastards. Its a loving rock!! Who gives a poo poo if it's their rock? Theres a bunch of rocks all over the goddamn place

I think someone needs to go over yonder and start watching himself some Steven Universe to find out just how amazing magic rocks can actually be.

Wells
Sep 21, 2008

THIS IS A BIZ!!!
Lipstick Apathy

Saalkin posted:

This list is getting slaughter vs a rhulic armour spam list.

I've been thinking a lot about the kraken lately because I really want to work it into a good list, and I'm coming to the (as of yet untested) conclusion that Skarre2 is probably the only really effective caster you can pair one with. The combined quality/quantity of most colossal's attacks is generally not that much better then a regular warjack despite the price being easily more than twice an average heavy. You're probably going to kill whatever you get the alpha off on with it (if you even get the alpha), but you're almost certainly going to lose the kraken next turn, and it's probably not likely that you've gotten an equitable trade at that point. Because of that, I don't think casters buffing the Kraken's alpha potential are really all that great, and unfortunately most of our defensive jack buffs really aren't going to help a tremendous amount either. Spectral Steel, Hellwrought, Death Ward, or even unyielding on their own aren't going to stop a P+S23 wrassler or mulg from kramering into the kraken and wrecking it. A list that can really crack ARM is probably even going to be able to deal with Skarre1's feat, which is our best ARM buff. OTOH Skarre2's feat makes the Kraken unchargable and very hard to hit at DEF15. Black Spot is a MAT/RAT fixer, and even better it fixes the relatively low volume of attacks the kraken puts out for it's points. I'm not sure if you can realistically drive a kraken up to an infantry unit without it getting shot off the table, but I suppose you could get it close enough to use the secondary guns, kill some stuff at effective RAT 7, and kill some more stuff with Black Spot attacks, then feat and do it again (or charge) next turn and by then hopefully have made your points back.

As for Aiakos, someone on the PP boards suggested running him with all the AD jacks, and I think I'm gonna do that tomorrow at game night. DJ, Cankerworm, Barathrum, and a harrower behind. Maybe a stalker too. With an arc node you can cycle assail on the AD jacks for big threat and focus efficiency, and if you're up against an infantry heavy list that ends up cupping one of your AD heavies, by that time the harrower has caught up and you can pilot it into the catcher's mitt for fun and profit. If you're up against a bunch of heavies, maybe you can White Squall or Stranglehold them with the arc node and DJ to prevent retaliation? idk. also the cankerworm is prob bad in this setup but I haven't played him yet in mark 3 so the time is now

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

Excelsiortothemax posted:

I think someone needs to go over yonder and start watching himself some Steven Universe to find out just how amazing magic rocks can actually be.

No

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

I think someone needs to go over yonder and start reading himself some Atomic Robo to find out just how amazing CRYSTALS can actually be.

There we go.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Hi guys here is a garbagelord list you should run on my behalf

Axis
-Conservator x4
-Corollary
-Inverter
-Diffuser x3

-Optifex Directive x4
-Accretion Servitors

I don't own any of this poo poo but it could be fun i guess?

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006

This one is the best.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
If any of you are interested in Trollbloods, I just posted my collection on SAMart. It's tons of stuff, pretty much everything in fact. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3786025

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

If anyone is looking to part with 3 marauders please let me know, I am drunk with power and obsessed with death.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
Ok, my dumb friends bullied me into playing this game (again, technically. I played a little mk1 when it first came out). I just ordered the Khador battle box and some day I want to spam lots of giant punchbots. Please tell me my dreams can come true.

What Khador warcaster is best for jack spam? What merc stuff should I look at? What are trap units/jacks in the Khador list? Can I get by with almost entirely jacks and solos? I hate painting 28mm infantry and want to minimize that as much as possible- a unit of 5 guys occasionally is fine, I don't want to batch paint 20 dudes that only serve as cannon fodder, GW broke me forever.

Help me :ohdear:

Harkano
Jun 5, 2005

tallkidwithglasses posted:

Ok, my dumb friends bullied me into playing this game (again, technically. I played a little mk1 when it first came out). I just ordered the Khador battle box and some day I want to spam lots of giant punchbots. Please tell me my dreams can come true.

What Khador warcaster is best for jack spam? What merc stuff should I look at? What are trap units/jacks in the Khador list? Can I get by with almost entirely jacks and solos? I hate painting 28mm infantry and want to minimize that as much as possible- a unit of 5 guys occasionally is fine, I don't want to batch paint 20 dudes that only serve as cannon fodder, GW broke me forever.

Karchev. You seek Karchev! Karchev with 5-7 heavies, some mechanics and some other solos is rock solid right now.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

PaintVagrant posted:

Judge status revoked :slick:

Unmm okay?

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

Harkano posted:

Karchev. You seek Karchev! Karchev with 5-7 heavies, some mechanics and some other solos is rock solid right now.

The correct answer is harkevich and nothing but marauders

But on the real we have a bunch of good options. Karchev and Hark are both (imo) great but for different reasons. Most of our casters seem to enjoy a few jacks these days, except for maybe old witch? She still strikes me as mainly about the infantry.

wearing a lampshade fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Aug 10, 2016

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

waah posted:

Unmm okay?

I was teasing rydiafan for not knowing the minutiae of haley2s feat

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

Zerkova 2 does jacks fairly well and she also likes units of dudes who come in groups of 3 or 5, rather than 12. Also she is much cooler than lame casters like Karchev and Hark!-a-bitch. As for Merc stuff don't even bother. Khador's dudes are hella loving rad across the board these days.

Malakov 2 also gets decent use out of his punch-bots, in the douchiest way possible.

Every single caster makes good use out of this guy and you should buy him immediately and love him like your own child http://privateerpress.com/warmachine/gallery/khador/warjacks/behemoth

These guys are also good
http://privateerpress.com/warmachine/gallery/khador/warjacks/torch
http://privateerpress.com/warmachine/gallery/khador/warjacks/kodiak

As for little men, you'll need a few of them but you can save yourself a lot of pain by going with Man-O-Wars who are only slightly less optimal than groups of tiny dudes. Also this guy is trill fleek and I'm never unhappy with him on the board http://privateerpress.com/warmachine/gallery/khador/solos/man-o-war-drakhun

albany academy posted:

The correct answer is harkevich

FARRRRRRRRRRRRRRT

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Wells posted:

I've been thinking a lot about the kraken lately because I really want to work it into a good list, and I'm coming to the (as of yet untested) conclusion that Skarre2 is probably the only really effective caster you can pair one with. The combined quality/quantity of most colossal's attacks is generally not that much better then a regular warjack despite the price being easily more than twice an average heavy. You're probably going to kill whatever you get the alpha off on with it (if you even get the alpha), but you're almost certainly going to lose the kraken next turn, and it's probably not likely that you've gotten an equitable trade at that point. Because of that, I don't think casters buffing the Kraken's alpha potential are really all that great, and unfortunately most of our defensive jack buffs really aren't going to help a tremendous amount either. Spectral Steel, Hellwrought, Death Ward, or even unyielding on their own aren't going to stop a P+S23 wrassler or mulg from kramering into the kraken and wrecking it. A list that can really crack ARM is probably even going to be able to deal with Skarre1's feat, which is our best ARM buff. OTOH Skarre2's feat makes the Kraken unchargable and very hard to hit at DEF15. Black Spot is a MAT/RAT fixer, and even better it fixes the relatively low volume of attacks the kraken puts out for it's points. I'm not sure if you can realistically drive a kraken up to an infantry unit without it getting shot off the table, but I suppose you could get it close enough to use the secondary guns, kill some stuff at effective RAT 7, and kill some more stuff with Black Spot attacks, then feat and do it again (or charge) next turn and by then hopefully have made your points back.

As for Aiakos, someone on the PP boards suggested running him with all the AD jacks, and I think I'm gonna do that tomorrow at game night. DJ, Cankerworm, Barathrum, and a harrower behind. Maybe a stalker too. With an arc node you can cycle assail on the AD jacks for big threat and focus efficiency, and if you're up against an infantry heavy list that ends up cupping one of your AD heavies, by that time the harrower has caught up and you can pilot it into the catcher's mitt for fun and profit. If you're up against a bunch of heavies, maybe you can White Squall or Stranglehold them with the arc node and DJ to prevent retaliation? idk. also the cankerworm is prob bad in this setup but I haven't played him yet in mark 3 so the time is now

The Kraken is really good in alot of places, a speed buff is what it loves. I used to run it with shade3 a lot and it's usually get at least one kill top of 1 if I go 2nd.

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

gannyGrabber posted:

FARRRRRRRRRRRRRRT

Don't be a snitch, choose harkevich

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI
A good time was Vlad by all.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
Ok, I'm gonna probably try out Harkevich and Karchev to start out with then. Karchev's model is substantially doper.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

Ok, I'm gonna probably try out Harkevich

No don't!

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.

Why do you have such a grudge against Hark? Like, he's a fairly average caster.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Had my first Elara game tonight against a Grayle wolf sworn list played by a very good circle player. I completely forgot about her field Marshall which would have possibly made a huge difference, but in the end the game was decided by dice... His were hot as hell all game and mine were frankly average.

Only models on the board when I lost(after leaving him at 1 box) were good warlock, one skinwalker, his wilder, and 5 stormfalls. Was a huge meat grinder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Karchev is next on my list but personally he looks like a big pile of poo poo as a model. If it is your thing, he looked like as a conversion project (how I plan on doing it).

Sadly I'm not convinced he will ever get a resculpt