Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Travis343 posted:

If I got to see Mechagodzilla in a big budget summer blockbuster I might literally die in my seat.

It will be a gritty and grounded reboot version of Mechagodzilla that is powered by the sentient AI of a Japanese scientist's dead son who resents Godzilla for having the biological body he dreams of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Dan
Jan 26, 2006

catlord posted:

What would that even cover?

Individual movies for Robin Hood, Friar Tuck, Little John, and Will Scarlet, followed by a team up of the Merry Men.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

SlimGoodbody posted:

I like kaiju and I'm generally excited for movies with them, but the older I get the more I'm like "How could King Kong possibly eat enough calories in a day to maintain that gargantuan size and metabolism."
King Kong will face his greatest enemy, the square-cube law.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

If the new King Kong is just a generic action movie about a gorilla running around a city it's gonna be really hard to care about it with Peter Jackson's version so fresh in my mind.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

I think The Rock is working on a Rampage movie or something?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

It will be a gritty and grounded reboot version of Mechagodzilla that is powered by the sentient AI of a Japanese scientist's dead son who resents Godzilla for having the biological body he dreams of.

I mean, the last Mechagodzilla was built over the skeleton of the first Godzilla and it regularly went into berserker rages, and the one from 1974 was powered by a woman who was mortally injured by her mad scientist father's experiments, and rebuilt into a cyborg by aliens to give them leverage on her father, so that really doesn't sound that out of the ordinary.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Lurdiak posted:

If the new King Kong is just a generic action movie about a gorilla running around a city it's gonna be really hard to care about it with Peter Jackson's version so fresh in my mind.

Well you don't see any cities in the trailer. You were a fan of Peter Jackson's? I liked the first half on Skull Island, which was basically a movie in itself, but then the second half I thought was pretty mediocre (and also the length of a movie). But I love the '33 version. I hope the new one stays on Skull Island, personally, wait until he fights Godzilla to get into some city destroying action.

Edit:

Super Dan posted:

Individual movies for Robin Hood, Friar Tuck, Little John, and Will Scarlet, followed by a team up of the Merry Men.

That sounds super lame.

Edit2: vv That's what I was thinking, but that's not nearly enough for a cinematic universe. Maybe they'd just toss in other Medieval Folktales?

catlord fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Aug 9, 2016

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

catlord posted:

What would that even cover?

Ivanhoe?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Super Dan posted:

Now I'm picturing a movie for each of these characters that is about on the same level as Dracula Untold. Saints preserve us.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

catlord posted:

Edit2: vv That's what I was thinking, but that's not nearly enough for a cinematic universe. Maybe they'd just toss in other Medieval Folktales?

The Canterbury Tales Cinematic Universe.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

So I saw Suicide Squad last night, it felt extremely........disjointed I guess would be the word. It actually had some likeable characters and forced witty banter that would sometimes hit it's mark. So in that regard it's an Oscar contender when compared to BvS. But it really felt like two movies Frankenstein-ed together either because WB finally realized a director like David Ayer doesn't make Shane Black movies that can be funny in the face of a poo poo load of violence, or this is the director's original vision of the movie in which case HOLY poo poo. :wtc: Harley felt grating but I guess that's because she's supposed to be, and I'm unsure if her character knew she was trying too hard to be a certain way in front of the rest of the cast and just played along or just bad directing/acting. So many scenes felt out of order and THE loving MUSIC good lord whose idea was it to have that many licensed songs IN A ROW??? Also why was the number of soldiers fluctuating like a Call of Duty game? Sometimes you'd have like two or three soldiers, then all of a sudden more just magically respawn to get mowed down or watch in awe as to how a bladed boomerang or a baseball bat is killing many eyed scrubs from Arkham Horror.

The Joker/Harley flashbacks felt really out of place. I mean they worked well on screen together, but the Joker looked like as if Marilyn Manson's video persona and Tony Montana melded together and birthed out from Hot Topic. Red Letter Media made the Enchantress/Gozer comparison and I feel like they were kinda spot on.

Overall I can't wait to see The Edge of Seventeen and Dunkirk. That's my two cents.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

Lurdiak posted:

They'd never make a Lobo movie, Lobo is fun.

correction, they'd make one and make it dull as gently caress and not fun at all.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Saw Suicide Squad last night. I have to echo what most everybody else has been saying about it. Characters are generally alright, Deadshot, Harley, and Diablo are the stand outs. Boomerang, Croc, and Katana were just there, and I could not give any less of a poo poo about Flagg and Enchantress. Waller was an idiot, which I suppose is pretty spot on from the comics. The editing was definitely the biggest problem, and it was ridiculous how so many scenes felt pointless.

Toxxupation posted:

A Lobo movie, huh? And a Sirens AND a BoP movie in development simultaneously? Really shooting the moon on that one.

Also I'd question how a TT movie would work considering that there's no Robin and one of its other founding members is a Justice League member now, but you know, whatever.

If I could be allowed to write what I'd like to happen in a Teen Titans movie:

If I had any sort of influence at DC and was working on adapting Teen Titans, but couldn't use any sidekick characters, then I would probably do it this way. First, I'd do a Doom Patrol movie that uses their classic Silver Age line up, with the plot being about the introduction of Beast Boy to the team (similar to how Wolverine and Rogue are introduced to the X-Men in that movie). The movie would end like the Silver Age run with most of the Doom Patrol dead, except for Beast Boy. Then comes the Teen Titans movie, bringing back Beast Boy while introducing Raven, Starfire, and either Static or Jaime. While the Doom Patrol movie could be about Beast Boy learning the ropes of being a hero and settling into his new family before having them harshly taken away, Teen Titans could be about him being thrust into a leadership position, while also having to learn to get over fearing another loss and allow himself to become attached to people again. Raven's arc could be about learning to accept herself as a valid human being, Starfire's arc could be about reconciling being a warrior with being a superhero, and Static or Jaime could act as the new comer that's in Beast Boy's position in the Doom Patrol movie. Villain could be the Brotherhood of Evil to further tie it into Doom Patrol.

I have to admit that writing comics and/or movies is a bit of a fantasy of mine, so I sometimes let my mind wander thinking up plots for this stuff.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

catlord posted:

You were a fan of Peter Jackson's?

It's not a perfect film but I found it pretty unmatched when it came to mood and spectacle, which I consider the most important things about a Kong adaptation. The entire island felt like a whole character unto itself, a living organism determined to kill whitey. The performances and characters were all really good too, even if some of them didn't really have good arcs.

I know a lot of people think the movie's too long or too boring or too cheesy or whatever, but there really isn't anything about it I would change, except maybe the take they used for Jack Black's final line of the film. It's not a movie I feel the need to rewatch often but I think it does everything it tries to perfectly. And the casting is really loving on-point, to boot. Godzilla and Pacific Rim both have awful/inappropriately cast actors in underwritten roles, but Kong's ensemble is loving perfect.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

The Lobo movie should have a meta plot where he is trying to escape the DC movie universe towards the greener pastures of Guardians of the Galaxy and failing multiple times

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Sinners Sandwich posted:

The Lobo movie should have a meta plot where he is trying to escape the DC movie universe towards the greener pastures of Guardians of the Galaxy and failing multiple times

Everyone knows The Main Man ain't strong enough to break through the Source Wall.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

Lurdiak posted:

The Kevin Smith cinematic universe.

*Ahem* You mean... The View Askewniverse???

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Lurdiak posted:

It's not a perfect film but I found it pretty unmatched when it came to mood and spectacle, which I consider the most important things about a Kong adaptation. The entire island felt like a whole character unto itself, a living organism determined to kill whitey. The performances and characters were all really good too, even if some of them didn't really have good arcs.

I know a lot of people think the movie's too long or too boring or too cheesy or whatever, but there really isn't anything about it I would change, except maybe the take they used for Jack Black's final line of the film. It's not a movie I feel the need to rewatch often but I think it does everything it tries to perfectly. And the casting is really loving on-point, to boot. Godzilla and Pacific Rim both have awful/inappropriately cast actors in underwritten roles, but Kong's ensemble is loving perfect.

Yeah, I can agree with most of that. Like I said, I thought the island stuff was great but with the latter half I felt it just dragged too long. Though I did like the dedication to getting a good 1930's New York going, I liked that a lot. It's a shame Fay Wray died before she could give the final line though.

Sinners Sandwich posted:

At least if he makes it he won't have to worry about getting paid to throw a fight. That's another universe over.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Eventually i expect lobo to appear in the dctvu since he's already been mentioned as existing in Supergirl

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Chill Penguin posted:

*Ahem* You mean... The View Askewniverse???

Which includes Degrassi and possibly the Flarrowverse. (Jay cameoed in an ep of The Flash that Kevin Smith directed)

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Weren't there rumours a while back that Danny Trejo was interested in playing Lobo? All that would be missing would be Robert Rodriguez, an R-rating, and a time machine to take us back to the year 2007.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Koalas March posted:

Which includes Degrassi and possibly the Flarrowverse. (Jay cameoed in an ep of The Flash that Kevin Smith directed)

Has any Kevin Smith character been in the same show as John Munch?

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Does Netflix count as a movie since it's episodic? The Luke Cage thing looks like it's going to be too serious and try-hard with its Inner City Blues horseshit. Framing Hell's Kitchen as some awful shithole is one thing because it's so far removed from reality, but making it seem as though Harlem is the crime-ridden black neighborhood seems behind the times. There is no one black neighborhood in New York, and Harlem certainly isn't the worst of them. It all just seems like very hackneyed "Dangerous Minds" type of drama.

Ireallylikeeggs
Jul 29, 2003

Yes but Luke Cage isn't real

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

Has any Kevin Smith character been in the same show as John Munch?

No, but iirc Degrassi is already in the Tommy Westphall Multiverse.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Chickenwalker posted:

Does Netflix count as a movie since it's episodic? The Luke Cage thing looks like it's going to be too serious and try-hard with its Inner City Blues horseshit. Framing Hell's Kitchen as some awful shithole is one thing because it's so far removed from reality, but making it seem as though Harlem is the crime-ridden black neighborhood seems behind the times. There is no one black neighborhood in New York, and Harlem certainly isn't the worst of them. It all just seems like very hackneyed "Dangerous Minds" type of drama.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3574760

Are you not aware that Hell's Kitchen is also a real neighborhood in New York? And that ninjas and yakuza are not in fact invading hospitals in that neighborhood?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

AngryBooch posted:

Are you not aware that Hell's Kitchen is also a real neighborhood in New York? And that ninjas and yakuza are not in fact invading hospitals in that neighborhood?

Hell's kitchen is now known as Clinton and is gentrified af and not a hellhole tho right?

E: well that kind of hellhole anyways

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Chickenwalker posted:

I don't think that's what they are going for at all.

also the last time I checked aliens didn't level part of Hell's Kitchen

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Chickenwalker posted:

All of the Netflix NYC are sort of a throwback to the late 80s and early 90s of the city, by force of the source material. They've given an in-universe justification for it, but it's better to just accept it as these shows being sort of a weird mix between a period piece and an alternate universe. There's a reason the preview for Defenders features one of the most iconic grunge songs of all time.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

site posted:

Hell's kitchen is now known as Clinton and is gentrified af and not a hellhole tho right?

E: well that kind of hellhole anyways

Marvel New York is still in the crime wave era because nobody has figured out lead based paint is harmful yet or something.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
The events of The Avengers knocked several sections of new york back to their decades old stereotypes ok??

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

AngryBooch posted:

I'm saying that making Hell's Kitchen some kind of grungy hellhole is so far from the truth nowadays it's laughable, but saying that Harlem is some den of crime is tone-deaf and behind the times. Stay out of Harlem is advice my rural parents would give me based off of their knowledge of New York from outdated pop culture.

Set it in Bed-Stuy or Brownsville/East New York if you want to deal with urban racial themes. Harlem is increasingly gentrified and not really that dangerous anymore. Yes I know it's a made-up show, but it just seems silly for them to try to make it seem like Harlem is the place where people are living on the mean streets. That one line where the woman goes "YOU MAY BE BULLETPROOF BUT HARLEM AIN'T" is just egregiously hack-y trope poo poo. It makes you half expect someone to demand someone else's badge because they're a loose cannon in the next scene.

We'll see I guess. I love blaxploitation, and the character grew out of that genre, but I just don't think they have the finesse to deal with themes like this in the super-serious way they've been trying with other things (and look to be trying with this).

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Chickenwalker posted:

I'm saying that making Hell's Kitchen some kind of grungy hellhole is so far from the truth nowadays it's laughable, but saying that Harlem is some den of crime is tone-deaf and behind the times. Stay out of Harlem is advice my rural parents would give me based off of their knowledge of New York from outdated pop culture.

Set it in Bed-Stuy or Brownsville/East New York if you want to deal with urban racial themes. Harlem is increasingly gentrified and not really that dangerous anymore. Yes I know it's a made-up show, but it just seems silly for them to try to make it seem like Harlem is the place where people are living on the mean streets. That one line where the woman goes "YOU MAY BE BULLETPROOF BUT HARLEM AIN'T" is just egregiously hack-y trope poo poo. It makes you half expect someone to demand someone else's badge because they're a loose cannon in the next scene.

We'll see I guess. I love blaxploitation, and the character grew out of that genre, but I just don't think they have the finesse to deal with themes like this in the super-serious way they've been trying with other things (and look to be trying with this).

Ah I see now. I misunderstood you at first.

Still, Luke Cage in a hoodie riddled with bullet holes was such a striking image that I'm gonna watch day one.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Madkal posted:

Weren't there rumours a while back that Danny Trejo was interested in playing Lobo? All that would be missing would be Robert Rodriguez, an R-rating, and a time machine to take us back to the year 2007.

A guy whose entire career is based on playing "scary Mexican thug" wants to play the scary space-Mexican thug? Big surprise there.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

https://twitter.com/SproBeforeBros/status/763127670322278400

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Light Gun Man posted:

The events of The Avengers knocked several sections of new york back to their decades old stereotypes ok??

At the start of Daredevil they mention the alien invasion from The Avengers caused all the rich people to flee town.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

That update turns a good meltdown into a loving great one.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Chickenwalker posted:

We get it, you've been to New York.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I've been to New York THREE TIMES. I know my way around upper West side, I'll tell you that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

According to my tour guide, the only thing I needed to know about Harlem is that Bill Clinton drove up property values there and everyone hated his stupid face for it.

• Locked thread