Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Patter Song posted:

I think this is most likely. Lots of clues. All 30 of these games are on the Wii eshop (unlike 3DS or WiiU), the controller adaptor is a Wii adaptor, etc.

I think the NES Mini is the shrunk-down guts of a Wii in an NES shell.

Wii can't put out 1080p under any circumstances, so it's almost certainly an all-new chipset.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Instant Sunrise posted:

buying a used NES off of craigslist/ebay as well as a decent composite to HDMI scaler (good luck finding one that doesn't stretch the video horizontally) – ~$30 for the NES, and about $50 for the scaler

A composite->HDMI scaler that doesn't introduce a ton of lag (I actually tried to play Super Mario World on a lovely one this weekend and it looked like complete rear end and the display lag is super noticeable) would be a Framemeister and well, $50? Oh that's cute:

https://solarisjapan.com/products/xrgb-mini-framemeister-compact-up-scaler-unit

I mean, I do think it would be neat if the NES Mini had some way to have additional game paks or downloads or something but the thing really does have most of the best games on the entire platform.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

s.i.r.e. posted:

I hate to see old games die because they're tied down to hardware that isn't manufactured anymore and whatever still exists is going to eventually wear out.

All the more fitting coming from your Yoshi's Island Avatar. RIP the Super FX Chip.

s.i.r.e. posted:

it uses cartridges (ugh)

Why the "ugh"? I highly doubt anything about the NX's potential success or failure is really going to come from it using carts.

s.i.r.e. posted:

but isn't going to be backwards compatible with the Wii U or 3DS?

Backwards compatibility really isn't as important nowadays as we all used to think. Plus it's not like the new audience that Nintnedo is trying to sway with the NX bought the Wii U in the first place.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
Who's gonna get buttmad about cartridges in 2016? Flash is cheap as chips and faster than optical so what is the downside?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Germstore posted:

Who's gonna get buttmad about cartridges in 2016? Flash is cheap as chips and faster than optical so what is the downside?

Also having disk based media on a portable device is dumb as poo poo.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

It's complete bullshit that this game is on a tiny card the size of my thumb instead of on a big 12cm disc like god intended.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Just because carts were dumb in 1996 doesn't mean they're dumb in 2016. You can actually fit Final Fantasy VII on flash media without going broke now. The grownup consoles don't even use their discs except to serve as authenticators when booting game-sized collections of patches. If you're gonna play the game off of removable media for God's sake play it off of something fast and durable that doesn't gobble up battery.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

"Sony, the reign of optical has gone on long enough."

"Indeed. I will summon the meteors."

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Kashuno posted:

I..I get the feeling you don't actually like Nintendo.

Nintendo IPs are fantastic, their hardware is laughable. It's just a god drat shame both things are tied to each other.

romanowski posted:

you paid money to post on an internet forum

Gotten more use out of that money than anyone will from the NES mini.

Ventana posted:

Why the "ugh"? I highly doubt anything about the NX's potential success or failure is really going to come from it using carts.

Because cartridges are still more expensive to produce than discs by a lot and really offers no benefit other than portability. It's Nintendo trying to be different for the sake of being different.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Selling downloadable games for the Mini would require a secure account system, additional UI work for a store interface, and the extra hardware to get online in the first place. Really seems like more trouble than it's worth for something that occupies the market space of an impulse buy at Bet Bath & Beyond.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

s.i.r.e. posted:

Nintendo IPs are fantastic, their hardware is laughable. It's just a god drat shame both things are tied to each other.

Because cartridges are still more expensive to produce than discs by a lot and really offers no benefit other than portability. It's Nintendo trying to be different for the sake of being different.

By a little.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

s.i.r.e. posted:

Other that portability

handheld system

:confused:

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

s.i.r.e. posted:

Look how wrong you are. Jesus.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

s.i.r.e. posted:

Nintendo IPs are fantastic, their hardware is laughable.

I often laugh with joy when I play Splatoon on my nintendo hardware (which is good)

Like, you do realize that there isn't some linear scale of "goodness" for hardware and it's pretty subjective in a lot of ways, right?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

s.i.r.e. posted:

I'm curious as to what you're running under the hood for this to even be possible.

Some off the shelf Vizio laptop. I was running emulators for these same games 15 years ago so I didn't think there would be a problem. I'm almost sure it's that stupid GUI for the games that looks like a 3d basement. I've turned that completely down to minimum settings and made it go away when playing the games, but is there anyway to just disable it entirely?

greatn fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Aug 9, 2016

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

s.i.r.e. posted:

Making read-only ROM chips is cheap as hell and probably only slightly more expensive than a custom disc-pressing process to include whatever anti-piracy trick they use, if it even is more expensive. Cartridges also no longer need to extend the base unit's processing capabilities in the first place; the Super FX chip basically had more powerful processors than the SNES itself, and hell even the launch title Pilotwings had a chip to do trigonometric transformations faster/better, and nearly every NES game had a memory mapper chip that vastly expanded the NES' capabilities.

So for a maybe slight increase in cost (if any) you get increased resistance to piracy, a more durable format that is easier to collect, much simpler and less finicky hardware for reading data, several orders of magnitude faster data reads, and lower hardware production cost for the system itself. Especially since the NX is portable, why the hell WOULDN'T Nintendo use cartridges?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Germstore posted:

By a little.

A lot, actually. For every cartridge you produce you can produce thousands of Blurays which will hold more data.

Kashuno posted:

Other that portability

handheld system

:confused:

Wrong on this bit, sorry ya'll.

Trent posted:

Like, you do realize that there isn't some linear scale of "goodness" for hardware and it's pretty subjective in a lot of ways, right?

And you realize you can still enjoy something but still be able to realize how stupid it is right? I love the N64, but I'm not going to sing praises for it's terrible controller, or the size of the GameCube discs (other than being small and cute).The tablet controller was also stupid right out of the gate, and fuckin' LOL at amiibos.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Minidust posted:

Selling downloadable games for the Mini would require a secure account system, additional UI work for a store interface, and the extra hardware to get online in the first place. Really seems like more trouble than it's worth for something that occupies the market space of an impulse buy at Bet Bath & Beyond.

This is why I'm not like, super upset about it or anything, though some sort of "cartridge slot" with cute little mini NES cartridges or something that contain additional games that they sell seems like a missed opportunity.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Game pricing has fuckall to do with what media it's on in modern times. Hell, you usually have to pay more for a digital version that doesn't even come in a case. Even if it did Nintendo never marks their games down anyway, so if we're all paying $50 for Super Mario [X] three years after it comes out we might as well get it on a fast-reading ROM that doesn't have to spin.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

s.i.r.e. posted:

A lot, actually. For every cartridge you produce you can produce thousands of Blurays which will hold more data.

You're absolutely wrong and don't know what you're talking about. Even if Blu ray discs cost a penny each(they don't), a cartridge would not cost thousands times more. And a cartridge easily holds as much data, more if you want to pay more, less if you want to pay less.

Edmund Honda
Sep 27, 2003

greatn posted:

You're absolutely wrong and don't know what you're talking about. Even if Blu ray discs cost a penny each(they don't), a cartridge would not cost thousands times more. And a cartridge easily holds as much data, more if you want to pay more, less if you want to pay less.

A bespoke flash card format that's reasonably quick, reliable and robust is probably not as cheap as you're imagining. Thousands is obviously hyperbole but it'd be a slice out of the profit margin and another reason third party publishers would prefer to avoid the console

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

But the 3Ds has a bunch of third party games.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

We are not in the 90s, the difference between making an SD card and a Bluray disc is nowhere near the price gap between an N64 cartridge and a CD rom. their pricing is different yes but it's not enough to dissuade manufacturing things like it was back then

the console wars are long over, friends. please get help for your PTSD

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Edmund Honda posted:

A bespoke flash card format that's reasonably quick, reliable and robust is probably not as cheap as you're imagining. Thousands is obviously hyperbole but it'd be a slice out of the profit margin and another reason third party publishers would prefer to avoid the console

You are talking on the order of low single digits dollars difference, which can be made up for by reduced licensing costs. Third part publishers have been releasing cartridge games for Nintendo continuously since the eighties and haven't yet stopped.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
If the console is portable, disc based media is stupid. The psp did it, and it was loud and janky. You bump the device? Uh oh, hope you didn't cause an error! Oh what's that you're about to say? Create some form of a stabilizer and ruggedize the case so that doesn't happen? Yeah no, this is a portable game machine they want to develop it cheaply.

If the console is portable, game developers will not want you to have to download the entire game to play it if you buy it physically. Portabity includes memory space, more often than not supplied by the user. You don't want to force people who bought physical copies to have to double down on storage for a portable device.

Whether the device is portable or not, disc based media is now too slow for modern games. It's slow and poo poo, devs are having hard times with it. It is simply a better solution that gets around issues that this gen of consoles is running into.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

s.i.r.e. posted:

Wrong on this bit, sorry ya'll.

And you realize you can still enjoy something but still be able to realize how stupid it is right? I love the N64, but I'm not going to sing praises for it's terrible controller, or the size of the GameCube discs (other than being small and cute).The tablet controller was also stupid right out of the gate, and fuckin' LOL at amiibos.

Don't be an idiot. It isn't thousands. It may be 100, but who cares. That comes out to maybe a dollar, and who cares again because the game is going to cost what it is going to cost and nintendo is the one eating the cost.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

What issues this gen are games running into because of shiny circles? Even physical copies aren't running off the disc anymore (Do WiiU games? Do they matter?)

Edmund Honda
Sep 27, 2003

Sprite141 posted:

If the console is portable, disc based media is stupid.

Absolutely. But a magnetic hard drive would also be unworkable, and modern console games are kinda too big to work on flash storage without making the device overly expensive. Cartridges are probably the best option but that doesn't mean they're a perfect solution either

Kelp Plankton posted:

their pricing is different yes but it's not enough to dissuade manufacturing things like it was back then

I was just saying it could contribute! In the same way publishers dropped the Wii U as soon as they possibly could, because targeting a different platform is a ballache and if the install base isn't there it's a lost cause

TheScott2K posted:

(Do WiiU games? Do they matter?)

Yes, no

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

TheScott2K posted:

What issues this gen are games running into because of shiny circles? Even physical copies aren't running off the disc anymore (Do WiiU games? Do they matter?)

Wii U games definitely run off the disc. Look at the load times on the eShop version of #FE compared to the disc version.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Edmund Honda posted:

Yes they are. Discs are still slightly cheaper but not much. Also you don't have to pay licensing money for BD disks.

They don't have to have a one sized fits all solution. Some games might be on a 64GB cart, others could fit on a 8 gb cart which would be even cheaper.

Read only carts are like comically cheap nowadays.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

nevermind.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

TheScott2K posted:

Wii U games always matter. :colbert:

But yeah, all wiiU ganes I know of do run off the disc, sans optional dlc for xenoblade chronicals X for faster load times. And yeah, the fact that games aren't running off the disc anymore is exactly the problem. In order to get the performance the devs require, they have to download the whole game onto the device. The disc is useless after that. For a portible device, having to rely on that method is not a good idea as I have mentioned previously.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Counterpoint amiibos are cool and good but yes the tablet is dumb bad

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Kashuno posted:

Counterpoint amiibos are cool and good but yes the tablet is dumb bad

I believe the plural form of "Amiibo" is "Happy Meal toys."

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

Edmund Honda posted:

Absolutely. But a magnetic hard drive would also be unworkable, and modern console games are kinda too big to work on flash storage without making the device overly expensive. Cartridges are probably the best option but that doesn't mean they're a perfect solution either

Yeah they aren't perfect, but

Dexo posted:

Read only carts are like comically cheap nowadays.

all you got to do is force game saving to the device's memory. Hell you could therefore then have it sync to cloud storage or something. Simple. (I guess)

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
I still maintain the tablet is a great idea that would've led to some really cool and unique ideas if the system were popular at all. Off-TV Play alone was a fantastic selling point for the Wii U.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
Also it's gonna be similar if not exactly like what the vita and 3ds use now. Like, have you played one of those? It's gonna be fine.

Edmund Honda
Sep 27, 2003

Sprite141 posted:

Also it's gonna be similar if not exactly like what the vita and 3ds use now. Like, have you played one of those? It's gonna be fine.

I wouldn't say the Vita is doing 'fine'

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I keep half-wanting a fire sale Vita whenever that happens then I remember the memory card thing and that's the end of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

greatn posted:

When I was working in remastering the subject of alternate forms of media came up a lot, since most of our work was for the Bluray format, and nothing is remotely as cheap as disc. Because flash media has gotten cheaper since the 90s still doesn't mean it's just as cheap.

Outside of that there's this:

Edmund Honda posted:

Nintendo's hardware has been driving third party away for a while now which is a major issue. They're, yet again, making a unique little butterfly of a console which isn't on the power level as the current consoles let alone their upgrades which are coming around the corner. Why would any developer support this thing? It happened to the Wii and Wii U, so what's going to be the difference here?

TheScott2K posted:

WiiU runs off the disc, yes.

• Locked thread