Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

DontMockMySmock posted:

The distance is minimal - like 30 squares. They often don't have bots running between them, even when there are 20 requested and hundreds in the provider chest. I was just trying to avoid using too many belts because this part of my base is pretty cramped.

Is it possible that the bots are pulling from a different provider chest that's further away?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Renegret posted:

Is it possible that the bots are pulling from a different provider chest that's further away?

Nope, there's only the one chest for each rocket part.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

So a few things to look at, when you mouseover a requestor chest. Are your filters showing correctly? Is anything scheduled for delivery? Does what's in the chest plus what's scheduled for delivery add up to the filter? How many available logistics bots do you have (In this example I have 212 available out of 2608 total logistics bots). Finally, look at "Logistic system storage" at the bottom (cut off by my weapons, I hope they fix that UI "bug" soon). Do your rocket parts show up in storage? Is it possible your two chests are in different logistics networks?

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

The idea of a place being called "Chuck's Suck & Fuck" is, first of all, a little hard to believe
Is there anyway to make a filter inserter grab everything?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Factorio's own zen koan.

Isn't that just a fast inserter?

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

FISHMANPET posted:

So a few things to look at, when you mouseover a requestor chest. Are your filters showing correctly? Is anything scheduled for delivery? Does what's in the chest plus what's scheduled for delivery add up to the filter? How many available logistics bots do you have (In this example I have 212 available out of 2608 total logistics bots). Finally, look at "Logistic system storage" at the bottom (cut off by my weapons, I hope they fix that UI "bug" soon). Do your rocket parts show up in storage? Is it possible your two chests are in different logistics networks?

Didn't realize this mouseover existed, super helpful, thanks. Things are scheduled for delivery and the number of available bots is in the thousands, so that's not the problem.

But I think I know what's happening, and it's stupid. I've got a bunch of bots working way across my base (far, far away) moving other poo poo around, and because of that, the logistic bots seem to like to live there. When a bot finishes delivering a rocket part, it fucks off to that area, rather than settle in one of the nearby roboports. So it seems that the network, rather than request the nearest unused bot to carry poo poo, instead prioritizes ones that are flying already. So the bots that should be delivering my rocket parts are incredibly likely to get called off to do other, much more frequently requested stuff. Meanwhile, when the requests for rocket stuff come in, they're likely to have no nearby bots to request (since they've already been requested to go off and do the other stuff), so they have to request a dormant bot from far, far away. Adding more bots to the network near where the rocket silos are, which I've done a bunch already, doesn't seem to help - they get requested away to the far away zone and then lie dormant there.

So it seems as long as there is a lot of activity on the network that is far away, the bots are going to be likely to be called far away, and then end up dormant there. I wish there was a way to tell the network to prioritize "waking up" new bots rather than request ones from across the map, but I don't think that's possible.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Getting bots to live in the right roboport should be a saturation issue? Add more bots or configure less tasks around the roboports far away that are hogging bots.

Like the behavior that its stealing bots you personally place into the roboport of interest says to me the network is overworked for the amount of bots.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

this is what power consumption looks like if you forget to close factorio when you go to sleep

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

Cosmik Debris posted:

Is there anyway to make a filter inserter grab everything?

If you have something valid set in the logistics or circuit filters, then leaving the item filters empty means it will grab anything.

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

The idea of a place being called "Chuck's Suck & Fuck" is, first of all, a little hard to believe

zedprime posted:

Factorio's own zen koan.

Isn't that just a fast inserter?

pretty sure they're faster than fast inserters now. I could be wrong but I swore I noticed a huge increase in throughput when I switched out a train stop for them.

Loren1350
Mar 30, 2007

Cosmik Debris posted:

pretty sure they're faster than fast inserters now. I could be wrong but I swore I noticed a huge increase in throughput when I switched out a train stop for them.

They're the same speed. Unless you're using mods, then of course all bets are off.

quote:

type = "inserter",
name = "fast-inserter",
extension_speed = 0.07,
rotation_speed = 0.04,

quote:

type = "inserter",
name = "filter-inserter",
extension_speed = 0.07,
rotation_speed = 0.04,

Filter inserters use a little more power though, so if your base was operating on a power deficit, fast inserters would be a little faster.

Ignoranus
Jun 3, 2006

HAPPY MORNING

Cosmik Debris posted:

Quick dumb question - you weren't actually using filter stack inserters, were you?

Anony Mouse
Jan 30, 2005

A name means nothing on the battlefield. After a week, no one has a name.
Lipstick Apathy
I finally got the under 8 hours achievement. I got the under 15 hours achievement oh my last run because I took around 9 1/2 hours. This time I was over time by around 30 minutes, so I rolled back to a save at around the 6 1/2 hours mark and did a few things differently (including using productivity modules in my goddamn silo) and eked out a win in about 7:55 total time. Now I can finally stop being obsessed with this game for a while.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Anony Mouse posted:

I finally got the under 8 hours achievement. I got the under 15 hours achievement oh my last run because I took around 9 1/2 hours. This time I was over time by around 30 minutes, so I rolled back to a save at around the 6 1/2 hours mark and did a few things differently (including using productivity modules in my goddamn silo) and eked out a win in about 7:55 total time. Now I can finally stop being obsessed with this game for a while.

Well done, I keep putting it off and puttering about in modded games.

Gotlag: isn't this what you were looking for? https://mods.factorio.com/mods/craftobot/RailLogicSystem

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

Ignoranus posted:

Quick dumb question - you weren't actually using filter stack inserters, were you?

Umm probably haha. I don't really understand how stack inserting works. Don't I just research the upgrade and then all my inserters move more?

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Cosmik Debris posted:

Umm probably haha. I don't really understand how stack inserting works. Don't I just research the upgrade and then all my inserters move more?

Some inserters, the green and white ones, are stack inserters that grab much more at a time than other inserters can. Others can grab three or so with all research, stack inserters can grab fifteen or so. Throughput is increased by removing lag from moving the arm around for every few items.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
Green inserters used to be filter inserters. Now they're stack inserters. That's why you thought filters were moving more. Filters are purple now, greens are regular stack inserter, and whites are stack filter inserters.

Anony Mouse
Jan 30, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
All those types of inserters and still only one long handled inserter... Q.Q

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
reacharound inserter

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
I actually hope they put in a long-handed stack inserter. Granted, most times you use red inserters, they're because something needs specialty/more than 2 components, or you're making something akin to this:

The fact that underground belts of all types are long enough to go under an assembler and still leave room for an inserter to yank items off them is amazing though. And yes, off to the right that is a basic inserter feeding out to the side to a long handed so it can feed a red (it feeds a blue on the other side).

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

Gadzuko posted:

Green inserters used to be filter inserters. Now they're stack inserters. That's why you thought filters were moving more. Filters are purple now, greens are regular stack inserter, and whites are stack filter inserters.

you gotta be kidding me. im sitting here playing this poo poo for like 50 hours and didn't even notice there were more types of inserters...

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
While going through /r/factorio on imgur I found this :catdrugs: solar panel / accumulator setup that I think I'm going to try doing for my next factory. Just uses basic steel power poles and roboports, no substations required.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Cosmik Debris posted:

you gotta be kidding me. im sitting here playing this poo poo for like 50 hours and didn't even notice there were more types of inserters...

No, he's not kidding the joke is definitely on you. Pay attention in class ;)

The weekly Friday Facts is up earlier than usual: https://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fff-151

quote:

0.14 plans
Most of the list of 0.14 plans won't be a big surprise as most of it was discussed in the past:

Multiplayer rewrite
Circuit network improvements
Update optimizations
Nuclear power
Liquid wagon + universal barrelling
High res graphics introduction
Gui reskin and possible improvements
Multithreaded update

We expect this update to take less time compared to 0.13, so November might be a realistic estimate.

So there you go, just about every moan or complaint from the last few dozen pages. Now we just have to wait a couple of months to get it. The rest of the FFF goes into a bit more detail on each subject, go read it.

Ratzap fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Aug 12, 2016

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

quote:

Nuclear power

I want a clone of modded Minecraft's Mekanism fusion power in Factorio. Deuterium from seawater, tritium from neutron activation of lithium also from seawater, takes a bit to get the machines up and a hefty power injection to start the reaction but once you do it's free power forever with just a bit of power used for fuel processing. It all comes from the ocean.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
And in keeping with the Factorio theme, water patches you're exploiting slowly but surely are drained leaving behind dead fish and dried up mud. :getin:

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*
I look forward to the bug reports related to multithreading.

Ambaire posted:

I want a clone of modded Minecraft's Mekanism fusion power in Factorio. Deuterium from seawater, tritium from neutron activation of lithium also from seawater, takes a bit to get the machines up and a hefty power injection to start the reaction but once you do it's free power forever with just a bit of power used for fuel processing. It all comes from the ocean.

So make it?

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
Go post it on their board if you really have a strong opinion. The FFF specifically asks for suggestions - speak up or forever hold your peace you know.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Ratzap posted:

Go post it on their board if you really have a strong opinion. The FFF specifically asks for suggestions - speak up or forever hold your peace you know.

Ambaire posted:

And... thread posted in suggestion forums.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Gibbo posted:

I look forward to the bug reports related to multithreading.
This is one of the few games ever that seems to be developed with proper software practices (automated test suite!), so it's entirely plausible multithreading will turn out pretty reasonable.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*
I don't doubt their ability to do it. But that poo poo is hard, and can result in "interesting" scenarios. I wouldn't be surprised if they mention some things in the Friday facts that were/are frustrating the programmers.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Finally started playing this again. I forgot how fun setting up a factory can be... except now I have to relearn oil!

ShadowHawk posted:

This is one of the few games ever that seems to be developed with proper software practices (automated test suite!), so it's entirely plausible multithreading will turn out pretty reasonable.

I honestly wish I could spend a day looking at their code. The game seems so good on the software side.

Gibbo posted:

I don't doubt their ability to do it. But that poo poo is hard, and can result in "interesting" scenarios. I wouldn't be surprised if they mention some things in the Friday facts that were/are frustrating the programmers.

I wouldn't be surprised if they take a few stabs at multithreading, then find out the overhead isn't worth the gains they're getting. That's the other possible issue with multithreading. But yeah, the race condition bugs are gonna be great.

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

This is the most amazing post in the whole thread.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

ModeSix posted:

This is the most amazing post in the whole thread.

It really is.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

MrYenko posted:

It really is.

Trying to grab something going fast enough to snap all your pudgy wee fingers is not a terribly smart move. Yanking out the power would be my first choice.

Anony Mouse
Jan 30, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Ratzap posted:

Trying to grab something going fast enough to snap all your pudgy wee fingers is not a terribly smart move. Yanking out the power would be my first choice.
The GIF is sped up like 3x for comedic effect, and yanking out the power is exactly what he does.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CiE32h55HI

Anony Mouse fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Aug 14, 2016

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Where did the last 8 hours go? I love this game.

I'm at the point in the game where I'm running out of things to research but my factory feels really small. Guess I should start mass producing more things.
Also blueprints are awesome but also kind of make things too easy, at least if you're using blueprint string. I don't have to fiddle around with oil -> petroleum gas production when I have a 100% efficient factory already blueprinted.

Also I know I dissed it earlier, but Gotlag, your Side Inserter mod is really cool and helpful. I've only used it a little, but it's nice for making things squeeze into slightly tighter spaces.

Edit: I made a silly thing.

It shows the rough average of how saturated your belts are. Fully saturated is 8 items, but if things are moving it'll count as 7. Each light is wired as "Anything > N" (N = 0 to 6). The arithmetic combinator just divides by the number of wired belts (5).

EDIT: I should not be allowed to play this game when tired.

:allears: It's so beautiful stupid.

Solumin fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Aug 14, 2016

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
A new mod!

Wireless Networks

http://imgur.com/a/KLouR

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

That sounds really awesome! Great job (as usual). Do you do all the art for your mods yourself? It always looks really good.

This part of the mod description is confusing me:

quote:

Signal output is automatically adjusted to produce the net total signal across the network. For example, if you have a chest with 100 iron plates connected to mast A, and a chest with 5 iron plates connected to mast B, mast A will output 5 and mast B will output 100 iron plates, to give a total signal of 105 iron plates at each end.

Either I don't understand what's going on or this is backwards. I would assume that A would output 100 and B would output 5 and those two signals are added together, just like in normal circuit networks. The other way around seems counterintuitive...

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Chest at A = 100, mast at A = 5, total at A network: 105
Chest at B = 5, mast at B = 100, total at B network: 105

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Saw this thing at Reddit
https://zippy.gfycat.com/ThreadbareEnviousLangur.webm
https://www.reddit.com/r/factorio/comments/4xlite/cycling_numberlabel_display/