Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

oh yeah they dumped a bunch of information about the kiseki browser game they're (well it's 3rd party developed technically) making

http://www.esterior.net/2016/08/akatsuki-no-kiseki-promo-video-site-opened-and-early-registration-campaign/

it looks like pure fanservice (not the sexy kind), and i'd be shocked to see a localization, but well here it is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisawaMahoKodomo
Mar 23, 2016
Am I sad for actually wanting a localization? I do know that, as far as I know (well that sounds awkward) it's pretty much not happening.
The irony was that I encountered a lot of the stuff on youtube while I was doing my daily youtube searches (it's...kind of ironic and silly really, but I guess, when I get "obsessed" I get *really* obsessed)

So...does anyone actually know what the game is?

Re: Ost shenanigans.
What can I say...lots of things really but they wouldn't really make much sense.
It seems the Silver Will theme is only used for, aside from the actual Silver Will ones, the others are all like sad songs (afaik)
The Main Theme itself is mostly in your face in (Tetracyclic Towers, which I guess counts) major plot important stuff IIRC (Final Dungeons, major plot music and major boss music)
There's the whole Ouroboros Enforcer theme thingy as well, but uh.....eh.

It's true though, it's easy to forget that most of the songs don't have the theme.

MisawaMahoKodomo fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Aug 9, 2016

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

All signs point to Akatsuki No Kiseki basically being a non-canon side game, since the gimmick is making up a party of your favorite characters from the other trails games to go dungeon crawling.

Also I'm almost done my nightmare run of CS, poo poo really stops messing around in chapter 6. I also have all the battle notes!...except one...

It's all the way back in Nord Highlands :negative:

Wonderslug
Apr 3, 2011

You don't say.
Fallen Rib
Controversial opinion time: the soundtrack for TitS FC is pretty bland and decidedly subpar for a Falcom title. Silver Will is okay but not great. The Whereabouts of Light is also okay but is terribly unconvincing as an alleged "folk song" and also has a stupid name that kills the drama whenever someone mentions it.

The Bose theme sounds like something deliberately written as a form of psychological torture by someone who thought The Song That Never Ends has far too much melodic and rhythmic variety.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

counterpoints: Recapture, Hollow Light of the Sealed Land, Ancient Makes, Those Who Guard What Matters Most, Factory City of Zeiss, Royal Capital of Grancel

MisawaMahoKodomo
Mar 23, 2016
Well when I first heard Silver Will, it was rather...bland for me as well.
Thankfully my opinion changed after actually seeing it as a combat theme.
I myself find that, it's a good thing the fights it play in are (essentially of sorts) solo fights, to me, it feels out of place in a multi enemy fight.

I actually liked the bose theme but uh....it seems that, that's just how Falcom does the town themes

Recapture is ok, but a certain soundtrack from CS2, to me at least, seems to be a superior "successor". Kind of.

One of the things I felt about SC was that, to me, the "boss fights" didn't really feel very boss fight ish until the end of the game.
None of the soundtrack is bad really, but not all of them are very outstanding.

The irony is that I probably like the FC soundtrack more than the SC soundtrack for some biased reason.
I guess I just prefer the FC version of Dancing with the Wind, along with Sophisticated Fight, and The Way They Walk in Liberl.
And the list continues, but that's enough rambling from me now

MisawaMahoKodomo fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Aug 9, 2016

Wonderslug
Apr 3, 2011

You don't say.
Fallen Rib

Really Pants posted:

counterpoints: Recapture, Hollow Light of the Sealed Land, Ancient Makes, Those Who Guard What Matters Most, Factory City of Zeiss, Royal Capital of Grancel

I forgot Hollow Light, that's a pretty legit standout track. I'll also cede Recapture, Zeiss, and Grancel, although I think the slightly dodgy wind samples being pushed to the forefront hold Recapture back a little. Ancient Makes and Those Who Guard Etc. don't really do much for me.

MisawaMahoKodomo
Mar 23, 2016
Ancient Makes and Those Who Guard What Matters Most have pretty dang limited play time in the game (I only spend about 10 minutes on each on a normal run), so that might be one thing.
I will say that it'd be nice if they reused them more. They do play like, twice more in SC but eh.
It's been a long time for me, but the songs took a bit of time (and imagination) to grow on me.
(They're also quite short for Final Boss material, I guess)

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Silver Will the battle theme is merely solid but not spectacular, on the other hand the vocal version they use for the SC intro is fantastic.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Zaggitz posted:

All signs point to Akatsuki No Kiseki basically being a non-canon side game, since the gimmick is making up a party of your favorite characters from the other trails games to go dungeon crawling.

Also I'm almost done my nightmare run of CS, poo poo really stops messing around in chapter 6. I also have all the battle notes!...except one...

It's all the way back in Nord Highlands :negative:

if you skip all text, ignore extra AP and beeline for it, you can get to Nord Highlands in a quick like 3-4 hour playthrough. You don't need to finish the save since your Nightmare save is probably your "perfect" one anyway, you just need the trophy.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Levantine posted:

if you skip all text, ignore extra AP and beeline for it, you can get to Nord Highlands in a quick like 3-4 hour playthrough. You don't need to finish the save since your Nightmare save is probably your "perfect" one anyway, you just need the trophy.

Yeah that's likely what I'll do.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Zaggitz posted:

Yeah that's likely what I'll do.

It sucks, I had to do it too. Only I was a total dumbass and left an enemy's stagger resistances blank in the Chapter 6 Mines. :sigh:

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

silver will is epic

that said i'll agree that while FC's OST is pretty strong it's not exceptional as a whole

SC's is one of the best of all time tho, especially since lots of the best themes from FC get re-used

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

on the subject of bad musical tastes: I don't like Sophisticated Fight and I think it's 90% of the reason anyone complains about Trails in the Sky being slow

SF Zanmai still rules though

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

not liking sophisticated fight is objectively incorrect, sorry

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

maybe it gets better after the first twenty seconds but I never found out

smenj
Oct 10, 2012
Nobody's mentioned A Cat Relaxing in the Sun from FC, which I thought was a really nice relaxing song, even if you don't hear it that much. Then again, I may be overly partial to it because I spent a while learning to play it, since it was pretty much the only Trails song I could find decent tabs for.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Cake Attack posted:

I'm with Really Pants on this one, I didn't really like Sophisticated Fight or the SC normal battle theme.

Get Over the Barrier and The Glint of Cold Steel are vastly superior.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Cake Attack posted:

:agreed:

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Sophisticated Fight is bad, Really Pants is right on with that.

Strepitoso Fight on the other hand is really good.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Sophisticated Fight is comfy as gently caress, just like the rest of FC and its soundtrack.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Zaggitz posted:

Sophisticated Fight is comfy as gently caress, just like the rest of FC and its soundtrack.

Sure, I'll agree with that, but it doesn't sound like a battle theme.

The Glint of Cold Steel does.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Honestly, I kind of think the sountrack for Trails is kind of lacklustre in general compared to Ys. Not that the soundtracks are bad, they're pretty good but I just tend to prefer the music in Ys overall.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I realize this is a big ask but it would be nice if Cold Steel had different scenes after a boss fight depending on how it went. In the practical exam for chapter 6 they played it up big like oh no, gotta challenge Sara, shes so strong, but the battle went

BATTLE START
Rean -> Use battle scope
Laura -> 200cp S-Craft (with her auto str buff and domination orb)
BATTLE END

and the next scene is everyone going huff puff wow we barely scraped by that one! Yikes!

Of course Sara sticks Laura in group B after that :( The only time I can use my team (Fie, Laura, Elliot, Emma) is in the old schoolhouse. I wanna see how many more bosses I can one shot.

On a different note, there are orbs that claim they make enemies seek you out/run from you but I haven't noticed any difference when using them. Are they bugged? If not, what is it supposed to do?

And earlier on in the thread I was talking about how the story wasn't doing it for me. Turns out it started getting interesting in these later chapters and I do want to know where it goes but I heard CS1 ends on a cliffhanger so I'm expecting I won't find out until I finish part 2.

Wonderslug
Apr 3, 2011

You don't say.
Fallen Rib

smenj posted:

Nobody's mentioned A Cat Relaxing in the Sun from FC, which I thought was a really nice relaxing song, even if you don't hear it that much. Then again, I may be overly partial to it because I spent a while learning to play it, since it was pretty much the only Trails song I could find decent tabs for.

Also okay, but I can't hear it without constantly expecting it to turn into the FFI town theme.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Overbite posted:

And earlier on in the thread I was talking about how the story wasn't doing it for me. Turns out it started getting interesting in these later chapters and I do want to know where it goes but I heard CS1 ends on a cliffhanger so I'm expecting I won't find out until I finish part 2.
CS1 ends with a few big reveals but yeah, there's a cliffhanger right after

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Overbite posted:

I realize this is a big ask but it would be nice if Cold Steel had different scenes after a boss fight depending on how it went. In the practical exam for chapter 6 they played it up big like oh no, gotta challenge Sara, shes so strong, but the battle went

BATTLE START
Rean -> Use battle scope
Laura -> 200cp S-Craft (with her auto str buff and domination orb)
BATTLE END

and the next scene is everyone going huff puff wow we barely scraped by that one! Yikes!

To be fair, all of the Trails games seem to have this exact problem. It's hardly a Cold Steel-exclusive issue. I don't really know how much of an ask it would be to add that though, since there's not that many bosses. Adding some kind of check for if the battle was less than a certain number of turns and nobody dropped to low health during it, then changing the resulting lines slightly doesn't seem like a huge amount of trouble.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the solution is to play cold steel on hard mode

of course the problem is the sky SC's hard mode was impossible for a first run, while cold steel's gameplay only gets interesting in a first run hard mode

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Overbite posted:

(Fie, Laura, Elliot, Emma)

Is this even a real party? How can you have a party without Rean?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

rean plus those four is possible since you have the backup members you can switch in

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Also, I'm pretty sure that group doesn't exist in any field study. Aren't Emma and Elliot mutually exclusive?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Cake Attack posted:

rean plus those four is possible since you have the backup members you can switch in

I meant that more as an incredulous "why would you not use the best character" meaning.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Yeah Rean is mandatory but I usually don't have him in my active party unless Laura is unavailable.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Overbite posted:

Yeah Rean is mandatory but I usually don't have him in my active party unless Laura is unavailable.

I just have to ask - why? Rean is good.

edit: I don't think there is a better party than Rean, Fie, Laura and (choose anyone because it doesn't matter)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

wild speculation, but maybe they just don't like rean and doesn't use him in their party

like alisa isn't the best party member in the game but i like her a lot as a character so i used her

Alard
Sep 4, 2011

Some Numbers posted:

Also, I'm pretty sure that group doesn't exist in any field study. Aren't Emma and Elliot mutually exclusive?

Yeah, it makes sense. Though now that I think about it, are they the only two that are never in the same field study group? (Ignoring later party members)

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Endorph posted:

wild speculation, but maybe they just don't like rean and doesn't use him in their party

like alisa isn't the best party member in the game but i like her a lot as a character so i used her

that's silly. you're silly

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Levantine posted:

that's silly. you're silly

yeah she has CP regen she's one of the best party members

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Cake Attack posted:

yeah she has CP regen she's one of the best party members

She's fine, but literally anyone with a mastered Moebius quartz is better (it can still be Alisa)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Alard posted:

Yeah, it makes sense. Though now that I think about it, are they the only two that are never in the same field study group? (Ignoring later party members)

Gaius and Elliot are, mostly because Gaius is only in two Field Studies. I think Jusis and Elliot are as well?

Yeah, Jusis is only in parties with Emma, which is interesting.