Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
What happens if Ana puts one to sleep? Does that count as stopping the ult, or does their ult meter still drain down?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Manatee Cannon posted:

and I'm saying that ults that don't have an immediate reward aren't punished as harshly for pressing the button as ults that do and that's fine

I wouldn't cry over it if they changed it but it's not bad the way it is

i disagree, but as long as we're clear that "the situational opportunity to use an ult" and "ult charge as a resource to be managed" are two different mechanics i'm happy to leave it at that, as i've already made my argument

Grammaton
Feb 3, 2004
Cleric
Sometimes I'll lay down the teleporter as Symmetra and then I'll notice my ult is fully charged again like it didn't get placed correctly or something. Whenever I place it it's blue and I stand there for a few seconds to make sure it fully materializes.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

yea that's cool, no need to run it into the ground

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Grammaton posted:

Sometimes I'll lay down the teleporter as Symmetra and then I'll notice my ult is fully charged again like it didn't get placed correctly or something. Whenever I place it it's blue and I stand there for a few seconds to make sure it fully materializes.

Your teleporter gets refunded if your spawn changes

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

It's not the same at all because in one instance the guy didn't try to press q and use his ult. Therefore he should keep it. In the other he pressed the button thinking this is when I should ult. He should not keep any charge for misplaying.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

No Safe Word posted:

Your teleporter gets refunded if your spawn changes

HOW DID I NOT KNOW THIS?!?!

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
i thought you just lost your teleporter if spawn changed

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

strong bird posted:

There shouldnt be any more melee characters in this first person shooter

This but unironically, I don't feel like Genji belongs in the game.

Grammaton
Feb 3, 2004
Cleric

Willie Tomg posted:

HOW DID I NOT KNOW THIS?!?!

My same reaction. She should say something like "My teleporter needs to be repositioned."

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Verranicus posted:

This but unironically, I don't feel like Genji belongs in the game.

RIP reinhardt

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib

Davincie posted:

sometimes when i first spawn in a match, everything looks like this. i can't see anyone besides like 1 random player sometimes, i dont see my weapons and so on until i die. what gives

When this happens to me it's because it hasn't loaded everything into memory yet. Are you running anything heavy in the background?

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.

Star posted:

When this happens to me it's because it hasn't loaded everything into memory yet. Are you running anything heavy in the background?

It'll usually happen to me if I am downloading patches or games in the background in Steam. The worst I ever had was entering a skirmish, and the enemy team was a six stack of players all standing in front of spawn as Roadhog. The only thing that rendered in was the hooks, so it was just a bunch of hooks floating around that would grab me and throw me everywhere.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Grammaton posted:

My same reaction. She should say something like "My teleporter needs to be repositioned."

There's a message on your screen that says "Your teleporter has been refunded"

And if there were some charges gone you only get a partial refund I think

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

so can you replace the teleporter but it'll only have the charges that hadn't been used yet, or do you get some free ult charge for a new one?

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

RIP reinhardt

Haha, I totally forgot about him. I guess because he makes more sense as a character given his durability and the fact that he can't just zip around someone killing them before they can react.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Manatee Cannon posted:

so can you replace the teleporter but it'll only have the charges that hadn't been used yet, or do you get some free ult charge for a new one?

free ult charge, so if you had 3 charges left you'll go to 50% ult

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

well i mean let's be real here, he makes sense because you're not mad about dying to Reinhardt recently

there's plenty of time to react to Genji, he screams at the top of his lungs when he ults and there are two extremely popular characters who can nullify his ult completely and several more who can significantly reduce its effectiveness

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

nanoboosted reinhardt is a powerful man

No Safe Word posted:

free ult charge, so if you had 3 charges left you'll go to 50% ult

ah that makes sense

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Davincie posted:

sometimes when i first spawn in a match, everything looks like this. i can't see anyone besides like 1 random player sometimes, i dont see my weapons and so on until i die. what gives

This happens to me on the Xbone as well. It's annoying.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Friend grouped me into a couple of his high 50s-60s game yesterday, told me just hop on Lucio and heal. It didn't really seem that different from my normal low 30s matches (I'm in the 20s but there are rarely 20s matches), and I played pretty good the first match. The next game we played though, there was a guy who just picked Winston and made my life hell, like he was knocking me into rooms wherever I was and shocking me to death, and I almost was like "well maybe I shouldn't even leave the spawn because I have given this guy two ults at this point" but we already had a player leave so that seemed like a bad idea.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

Rick posted:

Friend grouped me into a couple of his high 50s-60s game yesterday, told me just hop on Lucio and heal. It didn't really seem that different from my normal low 30s matches (I'm in the 20s but there are rarely 20s matches), and I played pretty good the first match. The next game we played though, there was a guy who just picked Winston and made my life hell, like he was knocking me into rooms wherever I was and shocking me to death, and I almost was like "well maybe I shouldn't even leave the spawn because I have given this guy two ults at this point" but we already had a player leave so that seemed like a bad idea.

If a Winston jumps on you as Lucio, speed boost and book it. He can't keep up with a speed-boosted Lucio, not if he's already used his jump, and if you can get to your team for some backup they should be able to put out enough damage to scare him away.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

What if switching heroes gave you a bit of rollover ult charge? I think that might be a good change. If I run out of spawn as Winston and find they have two reapers or whatever it kinda stinks right now because if I have some ult charge it feels like a waste to switch off. I mean in this specific case it's probably better regardless because reaper is winston antimatter but in general maybe 50% of current charge back would be nice?

Game theoretically wants you to switch up to counter the enemy team but punishes you a bit for doing so, depending on circumstances.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

TastySauce posted:

I made a second account to play competitive with friends (I'm just 66 on the main but still didn't want to ruin it). I finished my placements yesterday, went 8-2 and placed directly into rank 65 by playing only Roadhog. I was pretty shocked, but maybe placements are more friendly now that more people are in the 70's to 80's? My main placed rank 55 and the battle to 66 was rough.

It's probably placing people somewhat more accurately now that a lot more people have somewhat more accurate placements and there's more data in the system.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

it is badly designed though

it means that, in many cases, reacting quickly to an ult (which is usually more difficult than setting up an ult in the first place) is punished compared to getting to it a little bit slower

It also encourages moving to avoid or block the ult rather than just shooting the user, especially since most of the characters who can potentially get ult back are fairly squishy and their ults have relatively slow damage output. And then there's cases like Widowmaker where killing them doesn't even stop their ult.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

NmareBfly posted:

What if switching heroes gave you a bit of rollover ult charge? I think that might be a good change. If I run out of spawn as Winston and find they have two reapers or whatever it kinda stinks right now because if I have some ult charge it feels like a waste to switch off. I mean in this specific case it's probably better regardless because reaper is winston antimatter but in general maybe 50% of current charge back would be nice?

Game theoretically wants you to switch up to counter the enemy team but punishes you a bit for doing so, depending on circumstances.

The game isn't punishing you for playing well. More ults is a bad idea

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

make it so you lose all ult charge on death. there, now the disincentive to switching is gone :getin:

(on a more realistic note, the loss of ult on switch actually makes for a fairly interesting decision of which is more valuable, the swap or the charge)

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

make it so you lose all ult charge on death. there, now the disincentive to switching is gone :getin:

(on a more realistic note, the loss of ult on switch actually makes for a fairly interesting decision of which is more valuable, the swap or the charge)
I'm no pubstar, but I know I've popped an ult at less than opportune but still useful times because I wanted to get something out of the ult so I could change. Pharah getting kicked around by a McCree/Zen combo is pretty much my go-to. At my level, they'll make my life hard and I should switch off, but I can usually get almost to an ult before I really feel their impact as "this guy is legit good instead of just getting a lucky run in". And once I get that ult, I'm going to die quick on activation, so might as well get something out of it quick and then switch to a different counter.

Is this actually a bad plan and should I just switch earlier?

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

well i mean let's be real here, he makes sense because you're not mad about dying to Reinhardt recently

there's plenty of time to react to Genji, he screams at the top of his lungs when he ults and there are two extremely popular characters who can nullify his ult completely and several more who can significantly reduce its effectiveness

What

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Ravenfood posted:

I'm no pubstar, but I know I've popped an ult at less than opportune but still useful times because I wanted to get something out of the ult so I could change. Pharah getting kicked around by a McCree/Zen combo is pretty much my go-to. At my level, they'll make my life hard and I should switch off, but I can usually get almost to an ult before I really feel their impact as "this guy is legit good instead of just getting a lucky run in". And once I get that ult, I'm going to die quick on activation, so might as well get something out of it quick and then switch to a different counter.

sounds like a perfectly good plan to me

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Ravenfood posted:

The answer is very much "it depends" but the situation you're describing is slightly perpendicular to the issue.

Suppose you die and have 80-100% of an ult bar. You're sitting there in spawn, and maybe by the time you catch up with your team they'll REALLY need a Winston or a Reaper or whatever, but conversely, maybe you could turn the tide with your ult. If you're already out in the fight then either you've already made that decision, or you haven't died yet and haven't had a chance to make that decision.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
So did all the EU goons stop playing this?

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Randler posted:

So did all the EU goons stop playing this?

Apparently because I desperately need a team for the push to 65 and can't find euro goons.

Solo queue Zenyatta meta is going to kill me.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Pretty much this

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
To the guy who said "little nigga, u suck" after I got 4 golds and play of the game: no I in fact do not suck, it is perhaps you who sucks. die die die

edit: I'm very good with Reaper and I'm scared that he is going to become my best class. I do not want skull owl edgeman the hedgehog to be my best class

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

CJacobs posted:

To the guy who said "little nigga, u suck" after I got 4 golds and play of the game: no I in fact do not suck, it is perhaps you who sucks. die die die

edit: I'm very good with Reaper and I'm scared that he is going to become my best class. I do not want skull owl edgeman the hedgehog to be my best class

Pick the white Dia de los Muertos-ish skin, it rules.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Someday I will unlock mariachi Reaper and the BMX spray and then my life will be complete.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
BMX Reaper needs to be a skin

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Macaluso posted:

BMX Reaper needs to be a skin

I'll do you one better and ask for DMX Reaper.

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe
EU goon here, pm me if you want to play. Rank oscillates between 50 and 52. Solo queue is a crazy place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

CJacobs posted:

How can you want ults gone if you play Reaper who arguably does most of his work other than picking off the occasional squishy with his ult?