Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Ken Burns presents: The Spider Man

*slow motion pan out of black and white photo of Spiderman while old timey piano tune plays*

Imho if they had hired him to make the movie version of "World War Z" it would have been a perfect film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

bongwizzard posted:

Imho if they had hired him to make the movie version of "World War Z" it would have been a perfect film.

If they made it like a documentary version of a Studs Terkel book then yeah World War Z would have been great

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

welp paul feig has admitted defeat on ghostbusters 2016. will cined and other online "pop culture as social good" internet communities follow suit?

Germstore posted:

Chappie was good.
no one has ever thought this

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

loquacius posted:

what was the last good movie Sony Pictures has made, their Wikipedia page doesn't have a list and I'm curious

Sony Pictures Classics puts out some decent films, I don't know if any of them are profitable.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

Y-Hat posted:

welp paul feig has admitted defeat on ghostbusters 2016. will cined and other online "pop culture as social good" internet communities follow suit?

no one has ever thought this

i fink it freaky and I like it a lot

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Y-Hat posted:

welp paul feig has admitted defeat on ghostbusters 2016

Hm?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Germstore posted:

i fink it freaky and I like it a lot

You'll notice anyone who says they like Chappie never says they like the actual plot or the eponymous "Jar Jar on steroids" character, they just like seeing Die Antwoord in a movie.

He said he's no longer going to try to remake "classic" movies, and might be taking a break from movies or leave filmmaking entirely or something. Point being he screwed up Sony's tentpole for the summer and he's got no choice but to get away from the spotlight for a good long while.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

mind the walrus posted:

You'll notice anyone who says they like Chappie never says they like the actual plot or the eponymous "Jar Jar on steroids" character, they just like seeing Die Antwoord in a movie.

He said he's no longer going to try to remake "classic" movies, and might be taking a break from movies or leave filmmaking entirely or something. Point being he screwed up Sony's tentpole for the summer and he's got no choice but to get away from the spotlight for a good long while.

I actually had no idea who Die Antwoord were before watching the movie, and still couldn't list any of their songs besides i fink you freaky.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

mind the walrus posted:

True fact: apparently David Fincher got his idea for how Lisbeth Salander should look in his remake of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo after going to a Die Antwoord concert, and even wanted to cast Yo-Landi Vi$$er in that role.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

based off of:

NutritiousSnack posted:

Paul Feig is done with reboots
unless that's just this guy spitballing without proof

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Y-Hat posted:

unless that's just this guy spitballing without proof

There are a dozen articles about it.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

NutritiousSnack posted:

There are a dozen articles about it.
i'd ask you for a link but it was an easy google search to find one. i think that's a sign of him wanting to distance himself from this turd

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Y-Hat posted:

i'd ask you for a link but it was an easy google search to find one. i think that's a sign of him wanting to distance himself from this turd

Lol @ that whole article

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

red19fire posted:

Luckily it's on youtube in its entirety.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS5P_LAqiVg

JFC the production company is LASER UNICORNS gently caress this pile of poo poo. I think they use a VCR tracking error to just skip ahead in the plot at one point, too.

E: Yes, 2:30 in, a tracking error gag.

I can't believe so many people love Kung Fury. Some random people were shocked when I said it was garbage. It's soulless and mechanical. The best spoofs like Black Dynamite and Galaxy Quest are good because they're affectionate parodies. The people who made them are making fun of things they love. Kung Fury doesn't truly love or understand what it's trying to spoof.

Kung Fury is comedy on the level of a Robot Chicken or Family Guy sketch - it thinks you can use pop culture references instead of jokes. "Hey, remember Thundercats! Haha! Thundercats! Laugh, you drooling retards!"

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Also Hot Fuzz and Blazing Saddles, they are good

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

my dad introduced Blazing Saddles to me when i was 10. love ya dad

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Gammatron 64 posted:

Kung Fury is comedy on the level of a Robot Chicken or Family Guy sketch - it thinks you can use pop culture references instead of jokes. "Hey, remember Thundercats! Haha! Thundercats! Laugh, you drooling retards!"

You can be a bit nicer to Robot Chicken in that regard. They have a good understanding of what they're referencing and how to use that for the best jokes most of the time. Family Guy... yeah with rare exception it's just "hey remember this?"

Kung Fury barely even does that. It just uses loose tropes without the context that makes those tropes worth a drat.

Y-Hat posted:

my dad introduced Blazing Saddles to me when i was 10. love ya dad

Wish I had your dad. Is he looking for another son?

Uncle Wemus posted:

Also Hot Fuzz and Blazing Saddles, they are good

Shaun of the Dead too, although I never warmed to it the way a lot of people did. I love it on a technical level but I consider it the weakest of the trilogy by a wide margin.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
And Blazing Saddles used to be all over Comedy Central. (friend of the family and all, completely uncensored). I always wonder what would happen if it was shown on college campus now.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Kung Fury was smart in that it realized that it's concept could never hold up for a full length movie. Unfortunately they didn't realize that it couldn't hold up for a half hour, either.

Edit: due to the current generations complete inability to read between the lines or understand satire, we will never again get alter blazing saddles. Once the next generation takes power, chances are all copies will be burned.

Gutcruncher fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Aug 9, 2016

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

CharlestonJew posted:

ghostbusters fighting Ghost Aliens sounds like a more interesting idea than what we got

it would have been worth it just to see Dan Aykroyd have a massive boner 24/7

Ghost Aliens sounds like a pre-emptive "MIB/GB" crossover pitch. LIke, "We can have ghost aliens in our movie, so that we can have the MIB dealing with alien ghosts and need to call in our GB team!"

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

i thought Comedy Central censored out the farts in the campfire scene. if that's true and they still uncensored "friend of the family" that is the most hosed up set of priorities ever

mind the walrus posted:

Wish I had your dad. Is he looking for another son?
nah but you can hang out with him, he's one of the funniest people i know. doesn't fit the "dad joke" mold at all

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Gammatron 64 posted:

Congratulations, you're now qualified to be an LA Stand Up Comic.

Sonic Screwdriver!
*Audience dies laughing*
*this comedy club is a safe space where criticism is not allowed*

red19fire fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Aug 9, 2016

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

i wish seth macfarlene died on 9/11 because "pop culture reference = joke" wouldn't have caught on as a popular comedy thing if he managed to catch his flight

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

remember that time seth macfarlane almost was on the plane that hit the twin towers on 9/11?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Y-Hat posted:

i wish seth macfarlene died on 9/11 because "pop culture reference = joke" wouldn't have caught on as a popular comedy thing if he managed to catch his flight

Nah the Critic had existed and even Golden Age Simpsons was guilty of that from time to time. Some enterprising Gen-X gently caress would have done something similar eventually.

Y-Hat posted:

i thought Comedy Central censored out the farts in the campfire scene. if that's true and they still uncensored "friend of the family" that is the most hosed up set of priorities ever

nah but you can hang out with him, he's one of the funniest people i know. doesn't fit the "dad joke" mold at all

Yeah standards and practices are infamously weird assholes when it comes to what is/isn't acceptable.

And sweet. Pity on the dad jokes though. If someone has a good sense of humor there's no hope for me to ever be funny to them.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

mind the walrus posted:

Nah the Critic had existed and even Golden Age Simpsons was guilty of that from time to time. Some enterprising Gen-X gently caress would have done something similar eventually.

Don't you dare mention the Critic in any proximity to Family Guy

I get it though

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Celluloid Sam posted:

remember that time seth macfarlane almost was on the plane that hit the twin towers on 9/11?

ya, then the hijackers said he was too faggy to join their crew after all, lol

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013

loquacius posted:

I mean, on the one hand the ghost-aliens plot didn't work so great in Indiana Jones 4, but on the other hand 80s reboots all inexplicably having the ghost-alien plot thread in common would be a fun detail

You gotta have ghost Predators in there too, it;s like a package deal now.

Oh, poo poo! Sony should do Predator vs. Robocop, that would be the thing to get me to a movie theater.

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013
Actual;ly, no! NE1 but Sony should do a Robocop vs. Predator movie! Then it could possibly be good!

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Gammatron 64 posted:

I can't believe so many people love Kung Fury. Some random people were shocked when I said it was garbage. It's soulless and mechanical. The best spoofs like Black Dynamite and Galaxy Quest are good because they're affectionate parodies. The people who made them are making fun of things they love. Kung Fury doesn't truly love or understand what it's trying to spoof.

I love Kung fury

I love robot chicken

I love family guy and have seen all his movies including a million ways to die in the west

Also Mel brooks movies

I will consume anything remotely similar to "comedy" I can find, including jack black mOvies like the one with a fat gwyneth Paltrow

I'm a GBS poster

Come at me

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

Remake deep blue but the shark is horny deep pink

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Don Tacorleone posted:

I love Kung fury

I love robot chicken

I love family guy and have seen all his movies including a million ways to die in the west

Also Mel brooks movies

I will consume anything remotely similar to "comedy" I can find, including jack black mOvies like the one with a fat gwyneth Paltrow

I'm a GBS poster

Come at me

:yikes:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Don Tacorleone posted:

I love Kung fury

I love robot chicken

Also Mel brooks movies

I'm a GBS poster

Come at me

poo poo man I didn't know.

We cool? We cool.

ConstantDelays
Jan 1, 2013

Don Tacorleone posted:

I love Kung fury

I love robot chicken

Also Mel brooks movies

I'm a GBS poster

Come at me
I can't even call this bad taste, because taste implies there's at least some degree of discernment.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Don Tacorleone posted:

I love Kung fury

I love robot chicken

Also Mel brooks movies

I'm a GBS poster

Come at me

What about recent Adam Sandler movies? How much do you like Pixels, or Jack and Jill? Do you like movies by Jason Friedberg and Aaron Seltzer, i.e. Epic Movie, Date Movie, Meet the Spartans, Vampires Suck, etc.?

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Gammatron 64 posted:

What about recent Adam Sandler movies? How much do you like Pixels, or Jack and Jill? Do you like movies by Jason Friedberg and Aaron Seltzer, i.e. Epic Movie, Date Movie, Meet the Spartans, Vampires Suck, etc.?

I've honestly not seen them, but I would if I had the time

I saw up to 50 first dates and That's my son and then I forgot he existed

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

mind the walrus posted:

I love the story about a "god" letting his creation run around regular humans and becoming a piece of poo poo. It owns. I'm a big fan of Chappie and I like Chappie as a character. Come at me gently caress mother.

And on Paul Feig, good. Honestly I don't feel too bad for him. He acted kind of like an rear end about the whole thing and it wasn't really worth it in the end. You don't see Paul WS Anderson taking to twitter, getting mad and insulting everyone that didn't like The Three Musketeers. It's why PWSA gets to make a new movie every 2-3 years!

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

CelticPredator posted:

I love the story about a "god" letting his creation run around regular humans and becoming a piece of poo poo. It owns. I'm a big fan of Chappie and I like Chappie as a character. Come at me gently caress mother.

And on Paul Feig, good. Honestly I don't feel too bad for him. He acted kind of like an rear end about the whole thing and it wasn't really worth it in the end. You don't see Paul WS Anderson taking to twitter, getting mad and insulting everyone that didn't like The Three Musketeers. It's why PWSA gets to make a new movie every 2-3 years!

Also Paul WS Anderson is actually good at the movie parts of movies, scripts nonwithstanding

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

I liked the inversion of robocop. The AI is the good guy and the human in a mech is running amok.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/ghostbusters-heading-70m-loss-sequel-918515

jeez guys I had no idea this movie was losing this much money

I actually thought it was breaking even, $70M is ridiculous. Hell, I've never even lost ONE million on a business venture.

• Locked thread