Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.

A human heart posted:

Skinny Puppy and Nine Inch Nails

e: hell, basically anything after 87 or 88 is usually bad, or not really industrial anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

This is probably the right time to say that I think 3Teeth are overrated and the new Youth Code disappointed me.

3Teeth have a couple of tracks I like, but otherwise the more I listen to them, the more they sound like one of industrial metal bands that were trying to be NIN or Ministry between the release of Psalm 69 and Filth Pig. That said, I listened to way too much of that genre at the time, so kinda burned out on sludgy guitars/distorted or hoarse growl vocals and the samples/synths way down in the mix.

I loved Youth Code at first, and pretty much all of Overture is great. Although it's a deliberately retro sound, it still comes across as fresh in a lot of ways. The latest album though, other than maybe two tracks, sounds way more derivative and less interesting. I don't know if it's the Rhys Fulber production or just YC's own style changing but it sounds more like one of Rhys' many side projects at times.

quote="A human heart" post="462958236"]
Industrial hasn't been experimental since like 1986 or whenever it turned into bad dance music so this doesn't seem very surprising.
[/quote]

It then turned into bad metal in the mid 90s. Thank god it very rarely turns into bad rap, at least.

Danger - Octopus! fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Aug 8, 2016

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Danger - Octopus! posted:

This is probably the right time to say that I think 3Teeth are overrated and the new Youth Code disappointed me.

3Teeth have a couple of tracks I like, but otherwise the more I listen to them, the more they sound like one of industrial metal bands that were trying to be NIN or Ministry between the release of Psalm 69 and Filth Pig. That said, I listened to way too much of that genre at the time, so kinda burned out on sludgy guitars/distorted or hoarse growl vocals and the samples/synths way down in the mix.

I loved Youth Code at first, and pretty much all of Overture is great. Although it's a deliberately retro sound, it still comes across as fresh in a lot of ways. The latest album though, other than maybe two tracks, sounds way more derivative and less interesting. I don't know if it's the Rhys Fulber production or just YC's own style changing but it sounds more like one of Rhys' many side projects at times.

A human heart posted:

Industrial hasn't been experimental since like 1986 or whenever it turned into bad dance music so this doesn't seem very surprising.

Yeah, I like 3Teeth and Youth Code, but if they were around in the 90s they would have been completely buried and unnoticed under a mountain of better industrial rock bands. I think one of the main reasons I like 3Teeth is nostalgic because it sounds like they just remade the Quake 2 soundtrack, which I don't think is a bad reason.

I do think that Dead When I Found Her is making music on par or better than a lot of the similar electro-industrial bands of the 90s though.

quote:

It then turned into bad metal in the mid 90s. Thank god it very rarely turns into bad rap, at least.

Kanye tried with Yeezus!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuhl6Ji5zHM

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Wikkheiser posted:

Here's a topic: Industrial music that sucks.

I'll start.

Icon of Coil.
Do you like other futurepoppish stuff? I thought the first two Icon of Coil albums were up there with the list... VNV, Apop, A23, Imperative Reaction, etc.

Third was a lame duck, and then we got Combichrist which is pretty awful.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Wumpscut. He had maybe one or two half-decent albums, then it was a quick slide into absolute bullshit.

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

The problem is all these guys are old as gently caress now. I'm in my mid-30s and I'm almost completely disconnected with the pop and music zeitgeist, and most of the big industrial acts are a generation beyond me. You can tell they were really trying with The Greater Wrong of the Right and Welt with Ogre's chopped up rapping, but after the fan reaction to that they seemed to just go gently caress it and went to churning out some paint-by-the-numbers Skinny Puppy albums.

Frozen Sky was the best post-Process stuff Skinny Puppy does, and I think it killed everyone inside when they teased the reunion with that and then came out with break-dancing goths and TGWotR.

I really like both Frozen Sky and TGWotR. Also Weapon. And some things from Mythmaker. It's all good.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

david_a posted:

Wumpscut. He had maybe one or two half-decent albums, then it was a quick slide into absolute bullshit.

On a similar note, there are more Laeatherstrip albums than I thought, and some are not the best.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

New Assemblage 23 this week! (Indiegogo backer download codes going out "mid-week")

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

teethgrinder posted:

New Assemblage 23 this week! (Indiegogo backer download codes going out "mid-week")

Exciting! I really liked the crowd funded Surveillance sideproject

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

teethgrinder posted:

Do you like other futurepoppish stuff? I thought the first two Icon of Coil albums were up there with the list... VNV, Apop, A23, Imperative Reaction, etc.

Third was a lame duck, and then we got Combichrist which is pretty awful.
I do and I'd have to go back and listen. I think what turned me off was being in a goth club and hearing the song Dead Enough for Life from the third album. If I'm not dead enough for life ... am I alive enough for deaaaaath!?" :gonk:

To be sure, I listen to a lot of cheesybad music. I love italo-disco. But Icon of Coil sounds like they should be more like S.P.O.C.K. or Xenturion Prime, which are bands that do not take their shtick seriously.

On a similar note, there are more Laeatherstrip albums than I thought, and some are not the best.
Same. I could never get into them.

Yeah. I love 3Teeth's videos though. The one that's screaming SELL YOUR FACE with Facebook poo poo everywhere is just frightening and awesome. And the other one that opens with the giant chicken vacuum that's sucking up these hundreds of chickens into a meat grinder. Real-life techno-horror like Skinny Puppy used to do.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Aug 8, 2016

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Wikkheiser posted:

I do and I'd have to go back and listen. I think what turned me off was being in a goth club and hearing the song Dead Enough for Life from the third album. If I'm not dead enough for life ... am I alive enough for deaaaaath!?" :gonk:

To be sure, I listen to a lot of cheesybad music. I love italo-disco. But Icon of Coil sounds like they should be more like S.P.O.C.K. or Xenturion Prime, which are bands that do not take their shtick seriously.
Yep. definitely a terrible track.

I actually like most of the first two albums, but Regret, Former Self, and Other Half Of Me stand out for me.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
There was a mention of Spetsnaz being awesome a bit upthread, and I failed to take the opportunity to post a live video that shows just how ridiculous and awesome old school EBM is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ek6sd8IxoTs

TAPS AFF

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
If you don't wear EBM shirts to the gym then correct your life.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Wikkheiser posted:

I love me some futurepop, but have long thought all Icon of Coil songs go

I took too many drugs
Took too many drugs
Took too many drugs
And wrote a crap-but-catchy chorus

(I bet you get the tune in your head just reading those words)

But angsty EBM is fundamentally cheese.

still wanna hear Spetznatz do VNV.

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

I WILL DEVOUR YOUR BALLS!
:quagmire:

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

I'm in my mid-30s and I'm almost completely disconnected with the pop and music zeitgeist

A human heart posted:

Industrial hasn't been experimental since like 1986

A human heart posted:

basically anything after 87 or 88 is usually bad, or not really industrial anymore.

I also think counting the amount of people under 35 at any given industrial concert pretty much compliments my original point as far as current fan-reception goes.

Old as gently caress grandpas reminiscing 'bout the good 'ol days of garbage can drums and SH-101s
(this is where you tell me you're only 18, you old crank)

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

I've actually seen someone wearing one of these. I'm fairly sure it was ironically.

david_a posted:

I can't really listen through most Wumpscut albums, but I'd say Wreath of Barbs was pretty good (and pretty late, on the timeline of when he was active). Also he had some pretty good tracks here and there.

You know who had some OK music, but absolutely sucked live? Sheep on Drugs. I'm pretty sure they basically dug the singer out of whichever crackhouse he'd fallen into, without really fixing his drug problem. When I saw them, he didn't even face the audience, let alone actually sing (the whole show was on backing tracks).

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

The Cleaner posted:

I also think counting the amount of people under 35 at any given industrial concert pretty much compliments my original point as far as current fan-reception goes.

Old as gently caress grandpas reminiscing 'bout the good 'ol days of garbage can drums and SH-101s

Maybe there are young people at these kinds of shows in Germany and surrounding countries?

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Lead out in cuffs posted:

I've actually seen someone wearing one of these. I'm fairly sure it was ironically.

I wear mine relatively unironically. EBM is stuff like Nitzer Ebb, Spetsnaz and co. False EBM to my mind is whichever of the endless Suicide Commando/Hocico/Combichrist clone acts are currently referring to themselves as EBM.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

divabot posted:

Probably around 1979. The big mistakes were:

* drum machines. 20 minutes of someone hitting something is interesting; 20 minutes of TR-808 is not.
* going disco
* 12" mixes
* MIDI
* samplers, not just making your own tapeloops with scissors and sticky tape

The only band to have survived all of these: Severed Heads.

I do admire SPK saying "yeah, we're selling out, the old stuff's played out and we want some money. Got a loving problem." then actually making the money.

1979 is much too early imo, that has you missing out on like a bunch of good Nurse With Wound, power electronics before it became its own thing like early Whitehouse/Sutcliffe Jugend stuff, early Coil, probably lots of other cool crap.

Yeezus is good but I'm a bit skeptical that he was actually influenced by industrial.

change this to all EBM and it's spot on, that's some of the worst music I've ever come cross

The Cleaner posted:

I'm in my 20s but I think you might be talking about different music to me.

A human heart fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Aug 9, 2016

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

A human heart posted:

hell, basically anything after 87 or 88 is usually bad, or not really industrial anymore.

"Industrial music is dead. This is a thread about EBM. Wait, no, that just leads to arguments about Front 242 and how there's been no real EBM since about 1994. Terror EBM? No, that sounds silly. Synthpop? No, that makes me think of the Pet Shop Boys. Electropop? Same thing but with tighter trousers and more girls. Futurepop? That just sounds silly. Aggrotech? I don't even know what the gently caress. Post-industrial? As if half the fans of this stuff these days have even HEARD of real old-school industrial bands. Rhythmic noise? We can't call it that, because all the atonal noise fans who like Merzbow and whatever get grumpy. Okay, it's electro-industrial and to hell with any more specific genre names than that."

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NA7R41iHttU
(2010)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6K7FORitPUk
(2013)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0iQMDJXIaQ
(2016)

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

A human heart posted:

1979 is much too early imo, that has you missing out on like a bunch of good Nurse With Wound, power electronics before it became its own thing like early Whitehouse/Sutcliffe Jugend stuff, early Coil, probably lots of other cool crap.

I am making fun of people indistinguishable from me and totally not actually me.

What I'm actually listening to is the new Metroland single, because you will take away my mechanical synthpop when you pry it from my cold aging hands.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Making fun of people who like what everyone else thinks is the same genre but, to you, is s different and thus terrible microgenre is a key part of any scene.

THAT SAID, I think the shifts in industrial music and what the term is used to refer to is an interesting topic, and has very regional and also subjective differences.

Assimilate: a critical history of industrial music by S. Alexander Reed is interesting, but iirc glosses over a pretty notable bunch of subgenres when he gets past the early 90s and I don't know if its because they are ones that were more European focussed.

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

david_a posted:

From what I can remember, I liked Music for a Slaughtering Tribe and was actually kinda fond of Embryodead, as well. As another poster mentioned, Wreath of Barbs was pretty decent. After that he definitely fell off, though, and even on Wreath of Barbs there's some cringey material from what I remember, although that's kind of inevitable just because of the "edgy" nature of his stuff.

fake edit: hmm, looks like he had an album I've never heard that was released between Embyrodead and Wreath of Barbs.

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

bearbating is now adorable
I like beep boops and boom tish and grrzz brrzz ttzzz and that's industrial.

PinkoBastard posted:

even on Wreath of Barbs there's some cringey material from what I remember, although that's kind of inevitable just because of the "edgy" nature of his stuff.

Track #6: Christfuck

Mmmmhhhmmmm THAT SURE IS CRINGY!

Babby Sathanas fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Aug 9, 2016

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Babby Sathanas posted:

I like beep boops and boom tish and grrzz brrzz ttzzz and that's industrial.

Track #6: Christfuck

Mmmmhhhmmmm THAT SURE IS CRINGY!

Holy crap, I had no idea that Wumpscut was still releasing an album every year or so, along with a remix album each time.

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

Holy crap, I had no idea that Wumpscut was still releasing an album every year or so, along with a remix album each time.

I got drunk and listened to one on Spotify one time and it was godawful.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

PinkoBastard posted:

I got drunk and listened to one on Spotify one time and it was godawful.

Just as regrettable as the time I tried to listen to some of the recent KMFDM albums.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Just as regrettable as the time I tried to listen to some of the recent KMFDM albums.

Oh, I just noticed Metropolis has been putting a shitload of stuff up on Bandcamp including acres of KMFDM. And Syrian did too, which you means you can buy all the versions of "Fire In Your Eyes" if you like (or not.) Though that's getting common enough it might not be news any more.

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

Ooof, they are terrible.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I hesitate to call them terrible, but they're mostly pretty samey and forgettable. A stable line-up is the worst thing to happen to KMFDM.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I think the problem with KMFDM is that since (or starting with) MDFMK/Attak (although I liked those albums) it turned into the Sascha/Lucia show and their musical development halted. It didn't just halt, it hit a brick wall. I remember first listening to KMFDM in the late '90s/early 2000s and my impression was that they were a hilarious, creative and semi-anonymous troupe of traveling would-be terrorists. And every album was different from the last one. I can't tell the difference between these new records.

Another thing was that a lot of the musicians were really friggin' good. Take the female vocalist in this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnkL9byCH80

Her name is Cheryl Wilson and she's a professional jazz vocalist with an *insane* resume including collabs with Michael Jackson, Beyonce and Andrea Bocelli. And then the next song would have Raymond Watts or En Esch pouring their own mixture into it. But almost everything since 2003 or so turned into mush.

divabot posted:

Oh, I just noticed Metropolis has been putting a shitload of stuff up on Bandcamp including acres of KMFDM. And Syrian did too, which you means you can buy all the versions of "Fire In Your Eyes" if you like (or not.) Though that's getting common enough it might not be news any more.
Huh. There's a new Birthday Massacre album. That's cool.

Oh it's old demos.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Aug 10, 2016

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer
I saw them live a few years ago, I think right around the time WTF?! came out. I had a good time, because I'd always wanted to see them but missed for various reasons, but I couldn't shake the feeling that high school me would be incredibly disappointed. They had this run - basically from Naive to Symbols - that more or less defined my taste in this awful genre for a lot of years growing up (XTORT came out when I was 13, and was the soundtrack to a solid year or two of smoking weed and playing Goldeneye after school). Now it's just Sascha selling coconut water or whatever the gently caress while they play the same boring-rear end song for an hour on every album, and it makes me sad. They should have hung it up after MDFMK, which I think is about when Esch/Watts/Skold got thrown out. Completely agree with the assessment that their best years were when they were a massive rotating crop of lunatics who swapped out between songs, it brought so much variety, and it was just this crazy thing that a suburban idiot like me had never seen before. It felt transgressive and underground in a way that I'm sure says more about me than it does about the band, but still, blew up my whole poo poo.

Basically what I think I'm saying is that KMFDM is the Goth Wu-Tang Clan.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

ANAmal.net posted:

Completely agree with the assessment that their best years were when they were a massive rotating crop of lunatics who swapped out between songs, it brought so much variety, and it was just this crazy thing that a suburban idiot like me had never seen before. It felt transgressive and underground in a way that I'm sure says more about me than it does about the band, but still, blew up my whole poo poo.
Yep. I had the exact same reaction.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Was going to make a list of post-Adios tracks I still liked ... and all I really got was:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qsyX3_bNNo

and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOFf8iFsYbA

Everyone probably knows WWIII ... it's not even that great, and the samples used to grate on me when it was new, but they're kind of better now that they're not so fresh. What I really love about the track is the intro and transition to speed metal.

Superhero is like ... the only non-guitar track since.

Brute's art is still awesome at least? Reminds me, I'm a bit sad that The Designer's Republic isn't really a thing anymore. Loved that PWEI art (never mind the rest of their repertoire ...britpop, Wipeout games, ads etc.)

teethgrinder fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Aug 10, 2016

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

There are plenty of good tracks on the newer albums but it's all just too much of the same god drat poo poo year in, year out. However, you could probably compile at least a couple of very solid 11-track albums out of all the material they've released after Attak. For example, here's what I'd pick out from the WWIII - Blitz albums, the last ones I gave a half a poo poo about:

WWIII - Blitz
1. WWIII
2. Tohuvabohu
3. Hau Ruck
4. Blackball (WWIII)
5. Free Your Hate (Hau Ruck)
6. Spit or Swallow (Tohuvabohu)
7. Ready to Blow (Hau Ruck)
8. Bait & Switch (Blitz)
9. Professional Killer (Hau Ruck)
10. Bitches (Blitz)
11. Bumaye (Tohuvabohu)

Something I realized when doing this is that maybe one of the biggest problems is that of the new albums absolutely not a single one has a character of its own. Very few tracks stand out, it all sounds the same and there are these random tonal shifts from track to track because it's all just a bunch of songs thrown together. I'm not asking KMFDM of all bands to put out a concept album or anything, but I'd just like some form of cohesion or feeling of songs actually belonging on the same album. Earlier KMFDM albums did have that.

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Aug 10, 2016

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
After Attak... man. I don't like much.

I like this one though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ae1cWqZqezg

It's so stupid and vamp-diva but part of the old KMFDM that I liked was that it was fine being intentionally stupid, because the whole concept of KMFDM ... is kinda stupid. But that's what's fun. And it's a total gay anthem but done in this mohawked industrial rock way. It's stupid-good.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

This genre is hosed enough as it is. A gay anthem makes me feel a little bit better about it. I was totally unfamiliar with this track, so thanks for that.

Honestly, it has the elements of "classic" KMFDM ... the vocals, the solid guitar riffs, a sparse mix letting the solid hooks hold their own, but it does lack the ultra-tight production. Weirdly a bit fuzzy.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Wikkheiser posted:

Huh. There's a new Birthday Massacre album. That's cool.

Oh it's old demos.

I had the same reaction, but they've got an actual new album releasing sometime in November.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

I WILL DEVOUR YOUR BALLS!
:quagmire:
I remember an interview with Skinny Puppy where they said that there was nothing to do back in 1981 other than do drugs, watch horror movies and play with keyboards. For non-musicians, you went to night clubs to watch those people play. And cocaine.

Most of the younger crowd these days are house-bound straight-edge vegans who don't drink, smoke, or go to clubs. Streaming music off (Insert newest streaming service here) and not interested in dropping their minuscule cash on nu-goth stuff.

So now at most you get some dark-rave cross-overs hitting up a witch-house after-hours retro-night and buying the opening bands "single" on fake-floppy-disc with instant digital-download.